"Americanizing" NHL Hockey?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I'm not sure why having Southern NHL teams is such a bad idea? We have 24 teams in the US compared to 7 in Canada, so my guess is that the NHL is already Americanized enough?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The problem, not that I'm against having a few Southern teams, is that compared to the North people in the South don't play hockey and thus are less likely to be hockey fans.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Can't grow the game without making new fans.
Always will be an uphill battle though. It's tough to really grow youth participation in a sport that requires ice in a place where the temperature is below freezing less than a month of the year.

And again, I'm in favor of having some Southern teams. Just pointing out the downside since that's what OP asked.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I'm not sure why having Southern NHL teams is such a bad idea? We have 24 teams in the US compared to 7 in Canada, so my guess is that the NHL is already Americanized enough?

Don't understand the question. You ask if having southern NHL teams is such a bad idea. I say no. It's not a bad idea at all. Then you say that the US has 24 teams compared to 7 in Canada, so you guess that the NHL is already Americanized enough? Can you please explain what your definition of Americanized is? If it's the US having more teams then Canada, then we can go back to the original 6 and say that.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The problem, not that I'm against having a few Southern teams, is that compared to the North people in the South don't play hockey and thus are less likely to be hockey fans.

Sure, that's somewhat true for Minnesota, Michigan, Upstate NY, etc... But do that many people really play hockey in Chicago? or Pittsburgh? or NYC, DC, Philly, St. Louis?

Don't get me wrong, I think youth participation in hockey can help "grow the game", but I don't think it's really necessary for or indicative of club support.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

That can change though. It just takes time and a compelling product.

I think most people would agree that Washington is a pretty healthy hockey market right now. Youth and adult hockey participation are exploding, there's a new multisurface rink being built, and the area has no problem supporting the local NHL team.

But that wasn't the case just a few years ago. Legend has it the team almost moved at one point long ago. Coming out of the full season lockout, no one want to Caps games. They were an afterthought in this market.

Ovie changed everything. Not right away, but over 13 seasons.

I don't see why that couldn't happen in Florida or Arizona. Put a winner on the ice and the sport will grow itself.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The answers are fairly simplistic and 2 fold.
1. As already mentioned, geographical weather plays a substantial role. Very difficult to play outdoor ice hockey closer to the equator.
2. Large enough population centers to financially support a team. If the expansion south isn't a viable option, then where to? Scandanavia? Travel times are prohibitive to that end.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Sure, that's somewhat true for Minnesota, Michigan, Upstate NY, etc... But do that many people really play hockey in Chicago? or Pittsburgh? or NYC, DC, Philly, St. Louis?

Don't get me wrong, I think youth participation in hockey can help "grow the game", but I don't think it's really necessary for or indicative of club support.

St.Louis has many NHL players currently. Wasn’t there 5 first rounders from STL a few years ago in the draft? Tkachuk, Keller, Brown, Kunin and Frederic. Not bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad