American Prospect Update Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We had 9 guys picked from the 2021 Hlinka team, and then three from that team who will probably be drafted this year.

If I was to estimate who from the 2022 team is a pick, this is what I'd peg it as.

G: None
D: McCarthy, Strathmann, Sharp, Gramer
F: Musty, Terrance, Adams, Smith, Lacroix, Whitelaw, Brown, Erdman, Connor, McDonough

I would say we get those 14 drafted and probably no one else. If Kinsman somehow gets drafted at the very end and/or Sharp, Gramer, Connor don't get drafted, I wouldn't be too surprised. The rest of those guys are picks. 14 projected for this team and 12 from last year. Sounds about right. I think 2022 was a little better. 2021 team had better goaltending and defenseman, but the 2022 team had better forwards.

I think a few of them also could be round 1-2 picks with McCarthy, Strathmann, Musty, Terrance, Smith, Whitelaw, McDonough, and Lacroix have that potential. Unlikely all go in that range, but hopefully we get 4-5 top 2 round picks out of this team. That team had Rinzel and Lund already drafted top 2 rounds with Brzustewicz and Clark likely to join them after the 2023 draft.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Brodie Ziemer to the U. :cool:

Come on down, Cole Eiserman. All your Shattuck buddies will be there (except for your best buddy but...).

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
NTDP U17s opened their season tonight with a 7-3 win over the Janesville Jets. Full box score not yet available but Christian Humphreys had 5! goals and Cole Eiserman had the other 2.

Reactions: PuckProspects

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Shame this isn’t pinned anymore.

Does anyone know how William Moore may be American? Seems to be one of the top 07s in Ontario and also attended the last USA select 15s camp. Currently having a good silver stick showing.

Reactions: sigx15

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
We had 9 guys picked from the 2021 Hlinka team, and then three from that team who will probably be drafted this year.

If I was to estimate who from the 2022 team is a pick, this is what I'd peg it as.

G: None
D: McCarthy, Strathmann, Sharp, Gramer
F: Musty, Terrance, Adams, Smith, Lacroix, Whitelaw, Brown, Erdman, Connor, McDonough

I would say we get those 14 drafted and probably no one else. If Kinsman somehow gets drafted at the very end and/or Sharp, Gramer, Connor don't get drafted, I wouldn't be too surprised. The rest of those guys are picks. 14 projected for this team and 12 from last year. Sounds about right. I think 2022 was a little better. 2021 team had better goaltending and defenseman, but the 2022 team had better forwards.

I think a few of them also could be round 1-2 picks with McCarthy, Strathmann, Musty, Terrance, Smith, Whitelaw, McDonough, and Lacroix have that potential. Unlikely all go in that range, but hopefully we get 4-5 top 2 round picks out of this team. That team had Rinzel and Lund already drafted top 2 rounds with Brzustewicz and Clark likely to join them after the 2023 draft.
how many NTDP guys would you draft this year?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
how many NTDP guys would you draft this year?
Draft is now over and I couldn't reply before it, so I'll flip the question slightly.

I would've said that the draftable players from this NTDP class were Augustine, Chambre, Minnetian, Fischer, Fortescue, Smith, Leonard, Perreault, Moore, Hendrickson, Nelson, Guzzo, Cerrato, and Burnevik

Tobey, Cleveland, Vote, and Musser as maybes.

So 14 definite and 4 maybes. We ended up getting 13 drafted.

The only one picked I didn't think should've been was Schulz. Big plug type. I'm not in the locker room. Maybe he's great at leading, but he's not good at hockey. He was the captain of the NTDP, so I think that on it's own was probably enough to guarantee him getting picked. It reminds me of Adam Ginning captaining the Swedish WJC team a few years ago, and everyone hated it because he was the weak link of the defense.

Chambre was injured a lot during his draft year. He's also kind of a project goalie and lets in some terrible goals, so I'm not surprised, but between him and Musser of the two Augustine backups over the two years, he's the one I think has more NHL potential. Guzzo is a decent fourth liner. Was hoping he'd get picked after his play saw an uptick over the course of his U18 season, but no dice. Could always be drafted in upcoming years or be an UDFA after 4 years at Harvard. Cerrato and Burnevik were probably long shots after being sent down to the 17's before U18 World's, but I thought they had intriguing skillsets to draft towards the last few rounds. Cerrato has great speed and a great motor. Burnevik is a big forward with some skill. Of the maybes, Cleveland and Musser got drafted. Drafted for being big. Tobey and Vote didn't. Not drafted because they are undersized. Nothing too surprising there. I doubt any of them end up NHL'ers anyway.

And there's also Buium, who I'm not counting for these purposes, but he's basically a lock to be picked next year.

Reactions: neelynugs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think our draft in 2024 is looking okay.

I think it’ll be a little worse than 2023.

12 potential first rounders I see right now:

Skahan, Hutson, Emery, Buium, Pitner, Eiserman, Bednarik, Van Vliet, Humphreys, Swanson, Connelly, Park.

Doubt all will go first round. Half wouldn’t be a bad outcome.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think our draft in 2024 is looking okay.

I think it’ll be a little worse than 2023.

12 potential first rounders I see right now:

Skahan, Hutson, Emery, Buium, Pitner, Eiserman, Bednarik, Van Vliet, Humphreys, Swanson, Connelly, Park.

Doubt all will go first round. Half wouldn’t be a bad outcome.
It will be very far from 12. Usually USA runs at 6 R1 with a peak at 9 in 2019, during the best class.

Currently I have 7.

Pitner is a far cry from the top 5/10 RDs.

Swanson doesn't have the combined size impressive enough to be top 32.

Park, we'll have to stop the joke. The guy just caught the eye on the site because he had a lot of points with Shattuck while playing with Eiserman and Celebrini and the level of these two players was very underestimated. He had lost his place to Brodie Ziemer. Failed from USDP selection - not taken to make the USHL team at 17 - outclassed by Andersson and Nehring n Prep, not big enough for a defensive attractive profile - I wouldn't even be surprised if he was undrafted.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The 2023 Under-17 Five Nations roster was named for the tournament in Czechia from August 4-8 against Czechia, Germany, Slovakia, and Switzerland. Players headed to the NTDP are not eligible.

Roster is here: 2023 U.S. Under-17 Select Team

Some of the names there include Masun Fleece, Ben Kevan, Nicolas Whitehead, Cooper Simpson, etc.

Some of the names who didn't make it include Henry Brzustewicz, Gavin Kor, Evan Jardine (who led the development camp in scoring), Malachi McKinnon, Cameron Aucoin, Egan Beveridge, etc.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It will be very far from 12. Usually USA runs at 6 R1 with a peak at 9 in 2019, during the best class.

Currently I have 7.

Pitner is a far cry from the top 5/10 RDs.

Swanson doesn't have the combined size impressive enough to be top 32.

Park, we'll have to stop the joke. The guy just caught the eye on the site because he had a lot of points with Shattuck while playing with Eiserman and Celebrini and the level of these two players was very underestimated. He had lost his place to Brodie Ziemer. Failed from USDP selection - not taken to make the USHL team at 17 - outclassed by Andersson and Nehring n Prep, not big enough for a defensive attractive profile - I wouldn't even be surprised if he was undrafted.
I get English isn't your first language, but I didn't suggest I think 12 will go in the first round. 12 "potential" means 12 options to go in the first round. Read the last two sentences of the post again.

All due respect with some of your posts, you tend to make these proclamations based on stats. Have you seen Pitner play? He played a small role on the USHL Champions. Next year he'll play a big role. Talent is there to be a first rounder absolutely. I don't care what amount of points you saw Park having on his EP page years back. What I've seen is a player who has a decent chance at first round. Not saying it's a lock, but he's talented enough that I see a decent chance. And you have no clue if he lost a place to Brodie Ziemer. Brodie Ziemer doesn't have the talent Park has. He's more of a mid/late round pick, not that he's a bad player. This is why you kind of can't judge purely on stats. Also, if you want to play the stats game for Park, he had 3 less points in 1 less game this season on his own team than a guy who was a 3rd round pick. He's a full year younger than that player. Doesn't sound like a player who'll struggle to get picked or be a middle/late round pick, if we were to go by stats, does it?

Reactions: JetLee

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I get English isn't your first language, but I didn't suggest I think 12 will go in the first round. 12 "potential" means 12 options to go in the first round. Read the last two sentences of the post again.

All due respect with some of your posts, you tend to make these proclamations based on stats. Have you seen Pitner play? He played a small role on the USHL Champions. Next year he'll play a big role. Talent is there to be a first rounder absolutely. I don't care what amount of points you saw Park having on his EP page years back. What I've seen is a player who has a decent chance at first round. Not saying it's a lock, but he's talented enough that I see a decent chance. And you have no clue if he lost a place to Brodie Ziemer. Brodie Ziemer doesn't have the talent Park has. He's more of a mid/late round pick, not that he's a bad player. This is why you kind of can't judge purely on stats. Also, if you want to play the stats game for Park, he had 3 less points in 1 less game this season on his own team than a guy who was a 3rd round pick. He's a full year younger than that player. Doesn't sound like a player who'll struggle to get picked or be a middle/late round pick, if we were to go by stats, does it?
Potential is a word of French origin so no problem of interpretation. Let's say that it is a very widened vision of this word that you propose. In my perception, he is a player who has already shown things that suggest he can hope to be selected in the 1st round.

I haven't seen Swanson and Pitner play but, compared to the profile of American players selected in the 1st round for the last 5 years, they don't match. Park is further away. If he was more gifted than Ziemer, he wouldn't have lost his place next to Celebrini and Eiserman, he wouldn't have been rejected from the USDP when Ziemer was admitted and even more, he would have broken through the roster. of his team in the USHL. Nehring was selected for his physique as potential bottom 6 forward. Another much more productive player was undrafted. Non-USDP Americans selected in the 1st round are rare. Musty had chosen another path. Rinzel was a physical right-handed defender. If you add to that the case of the players who didn't have a solid season in a major U17 junior league, only Coronato and Samoskevich are left who are late and were on the upswing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Potential is a word of French origin so no problem of interpretation. Let's say that it is a very widened vision of this word that you propose. In my perception, he is a player who has already shown things that suggest he can hope to be selected in the 1st round.

I haven't seen Swanson and Pitner play but, compared to the profile of American players selected in the 1st round for the last 5 years, they don't match. Park is further away. If he was more gifted than Ziemer, he wouldn't have lost his place next to Celebrini and Eiserman, he wouldn't have been rejected from the USDP when Ziemer was admitted and even more, he would have broken through the roster. of his team in the USHL. Nehring was selected for his physique as potential bottom 6 forward. Another much more productive player was undrafted. Non-USDP Americans selected in the 1st round are rare. Musty had chosen another path. Rinzel was a physical right-handed defender. If you add to that the case of the players who didn't have a solid season in a major U17 junior league, only Coronato and Samoskevich are left who are late and were on the upswing.
Oliver Bonk went first round with 3 points in 10 games his U17 season for a powerhouse team. Pitner played a full season in Youngstown, and every playoff game. Hard to break into such a veteran defense. He was the only 2006 born player on the team that was playing regular games. Pitner had a similar role and profile his U17 season to Gavin McCarthy had for Muskegon the year prior. McCarthy took off with a bigger role in Muskegon, and went 3rd round, but he was certainly on the first round radar throughout the season, and if he didn't have a lost second half of the season due to injuries he very well goes earlier than round 3. So I'm not saying it's a guarantee for Pitner. Far from it, but Pitner has a decent chance.

Swanson, I totally get the concerns. I'm not even really going to argue that point. The height is a significant limiting factor. We'll see how tall he is by the draft. His father is 5'10. Mac is currently listed at 5'7. If he's listed at 5'9 or 5'10 by the draft, I think first round is certainly in play. Players that height go in the first round all the time. 5'7 ones don't. But Swanson put up a historic USHL season for a U17. If he has an even better U18 season and grows a little taller, I think it's very much within reach, and I don't think growing a little and being better than he was in his U18 season than U17 season is expecting that much. He's not one of these junior-style 5'7 players either that puts up great numbers because they have decent skill. His passing ability is absolutely insane, and I think it's going to lead to a player that is more intriguing than the average player his size. He's more talented offensively than players like Perron or Cristall. Is he Zach Benson? Maybe, but it likely requires growing a little, as I mentioned. We'll see.

And to be clear about SSM stats from last season, the un-drafted player you mention is 5'9. Park is 6'0. Seems like we should at least mention why the leading scorer of the team wasn't drafted. Anyway, Park will play in the USHL next season, and we'll see how he does.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Oliver Bonk went first round with 3 points in 10 games his U17 season for a powerhouse team. Pitner played a full season in Youngstown, and every playoff game. Hard to break into such a veteran defense. He was the only 2006 born player on the team that was playing regular games. Pitner had a similar role and profile his U17 season to Gavin McCarthy had for Muskegon the year prior. McCarthy took off with a bigger role in Muskegon, and went 3rd round, but he was certainly on the first round radar throughout the season, and if he didn't have a lost second half of the season due to injuries he very well goes earlier than round 3. So I'm not saying it's a guarantee for Pitner. Far from it, but Pitner has a decent chance.

Swanson, I totally get the concerns. I'm not even really going to argue that point. The height is a significant limiting factor. We'll see how tall he is by the draft. His father is 5'10. Mac is currently listed at 5'7. If he's listed at 5'9 or 5'10 by the draft, I think first round is certainly in play. Players that height go in the first round all the time. 5'7 ones don't. But Swanson put up a historic USHL season for a U17. If he has an even better U18 season and grows a little taller, I think it's very much within reach, and I don't think growing a little and being better than he was in his U18 season than U17 season is expecting that much. He's not one of these junior-style 5'7 players either that puts up great numbers because they have decent skill. His passing ability is absolutely insane, and I think it's going to lead to a player that is more intriguing than the average player his size. He's more talented offensively than players like Perron or Cristall. Is he Zach Benson? Maybe, but it likely requires growing a little, as I mentioned. We'll see.

And to be clear about SSM stats from last season, the un-drafted player you mention is 5'9. Park is 6'0. Seems like we should at least mention why the leading scorer of the team wasn't drafted. Anyway, Park will play in the USHL next season, and we'll see how he does.
If you take the different examples of guys who were revealed U18 after being overlooked U17, you can say that everything is potential 1st round.

The guys you cite don't have Bonk's progression curve anyway and are much better known than Bonk at the same age.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The 2023 Under-17 Five Nations roster was named for the tournament in Czechia from August 4-8 against Czechia, Germany, Slovakia, and Switzerland. Players headed to the NTDP are not eligible.

Roster is here: 2023 U.S. Under-17 Select Team

Some of the names there include Masun Fleece, Ben Kevan, Nicolas Whitehead, Cooper Simpson, etc.

Some of the names who didn't make it include Henry Brzustewicz, Gavin Kor, Evan Jardine (who led the development camp in scoring), Malachi McKinnon, Cameron Aucoin, Egan Beveridge, etc.
Pretty certain Sam Spehar is Dave Spehar’s son who is one of the most iconic Minnesota players ever.

Cooper Simpson is an extremely impressive talent.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
USA select camps, especially the 15s don't really show much in terms of who will make the team

I was looking at last years camp for this upcoming u17 squad and the first ntdp player was Richard Gallant at #8 in points

Was impressed with Spehar and Whitehead at the u17 five nations so far

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First look at the NTDP 17's.

A+ (Likely 1OA contender):
A (Good chance at top 5): Potter
A (Good chance at top 10):
B+ (Good chance at middle of the first): Fondrk, McKinney, Trethewey
B (Good chance to be a first round pick): Moore
B- (Outside chance for first round): Mooney, Boettiger
C+ (Good chance for second round): Murtagh, Barnett
C (Good chance for third round): D'Amico, Phillips, Kvasnicka
C- (Good chance for 4th or 5th round): Gallant, Belle, Horcoff, Kuehne
D+ (Good chance to get drafted in the late rounds): O'Neill, Bracco
D (Not looking like a draftable player): Schock, Lindberg

The other two goalies and Mutryn didn't play, so I don't know.

I think this is a good team. Not a lot of high skilled offensive players, but there are a few and the forward core is big, strong, tough, physical, fast, and very good defensively. I think the forward group is very deep. Everyone could be drafted. The defensemen aren't that good. We are looking at something like the 2005 NTDP defense with Trethewey being a slight exception. The other thing the defense is missing is an offensive component. It's another team without a PPQB.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Am I reading the schedule right that the U18s are in the middle of a 20 day stretch with no games? Very strange scheduling.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I think this is a good team. Not a lot of high skilled offensive players, but there are a few and the forward core is big, strong, tough, physical, fast, and very good defensively. I think the forward group is very deep. Everyone could be drafted. The defensemen aren't that good. We are looking at something like the 2005 NTDP defense with Trethewey being a slight exception. The other thing the defense is missing is an offensive component. It's another team without a PPQB.

Thanks for this and all your individual reports. My favorite part of the year is when scouts and good posters get their first look at the new crop of guys and can give actual feedback. There’s such a jump from the age 16U group to now playing with the U17 team against much better competition - it’s always interesting to compare who these kids actually are at this level versus the hype level that proceeds them.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

Bracco with a D+ when there were other local kids who I considered better than Bracco not getting a sniff. I always wonder about ntdp with its politics and nepotism.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bracco with a D+ when there were other local kids who I considered better than Bracco not getting a sniff. I always wonder about ntdp with its politics and nepotism.
It's not just the National team. Politics and nepotism plays a hand in competitive youth hockey more than you'd think. If you are not connected, and somehow don't fit the profile of what teams and organizations like, it's an uphill battle, while others just seem to glide through because of connections.

The only consoling fact is that if you are good enough to be a pro hockey player(say, AHL/NHL), you will be able to overcome those obstacles. That which doesn't make you quit, makes you stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00