Player Discussion Alzner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
If you are ever feeling down just re read this thread so many people knew Alzner was such a bad signing well not the ones who said we would be eating crow about mister snow angel lol.

"Alzner is SOLID" from the same people who brought you Galchenyuk is terrible at center and PK will get eaten up in the western conference.

Its even has its typical potshot about Subban from Jaffy lol

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I only made it about halfway through... but it was a fantastic read.

So many polarizing views and posts in one thread. What’s great is that the polarizing views came from MULTIPLE different posters, rather than just a small few arguing their point.

Reactions: Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You can't even what? It never said he had multiple offers, it said that he only met with Montreal, a place where the gm saw him in the same light as Zdeno Chara. He got one offer and that was from us.

Let’s recap shall we.

Washington set him free to come here because they felt that without him they would have a better chance at a cup. Brilliant.

That’s not at all what happened. They couldn’t afford him and we're trying to find a replacement for him all season. Turns out it wasn’t necessary but he and Carlson were a very good and stable combo with lots of chemistry.

Canadiens sign defenceman Karl Alzner to five-year deal - Sportsnet.ca
With Washington strapped for salary-cap space, Alzner sensed it was time to move on. Several teams showed interest, but the only one he chose to visit was Montreal.

Just because the article says several teams had interest doesn’t mean they didn’t make an offer. Do you think Montreal went 5 years because they were in a generous mode??

Seriously dude.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Let’s recap shall we.

With Washington strapped for salary-cap space, Alzner sensed it was time to move on. Several teams showed interest, but the only one he chose to visit was Montreal.

Just because the article says several teams had interest doesn’t mean they didn’t make an offer. Do you think Montreal went 5 years because they were in a generous mode??

Seriously dude.
Your point of view will not be well tolerated around these here parts, you better change your tune or you’ll be ri out of this thread!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Your point of view will not be well tolerated around these here parts, you better change your tune or you’ll be ri out of this thread!

I realize this board is becoming a bash Bergevin or GTFO, fact free zone board but that’s not how I roll.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
How is he not the perfect Dman to pair with Petry in a minute eating role?

There is nothing wrong with the term or price either. 4.65m AAV is nothing these days, and we're getting him for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 years. Those are prime years for a defensive dman.

I disagree on all fronts. He's neither physically done, nor is he overpayed or is it a bad term.

Alzner doesn't get blown past. Go ahead and count the amount of times he gets "blown past" this year. The guy isn't a pilon. He may be big, but he can move his feet and knows how to skate.

Trust me, or don't, but you are going to be pleasantly surprised by this contract.

Alzner-Petry will be a fan favourite this season.

Alzner will replace Markovs minutes even strength.

Emelin can't sniff Alzner's jock. The guy is terrible defensively, while Alzner is very good. It's a major upgrade.

You guys are right, Alzner sucks defensively. No point in watching games anymore, let's just look at these charts. Our management clearly is unaware these charts exist, and don't have access to better charts, and just signed a terrible defenceman to a 5 year deal at over 4.5m per.

Am I doing it right?

(lol)

Underrated signing. He is going to play big minute next season and every fans gonna like him.

Alzner is also big and strong enough to clear the crease and be a physical presence. And while he isn't Erik Karlsson, he can skate/pass/shoot enough to not be a black hole offensively. He's alot more than just a shot blocker. He's a guy you give tough minutes too, a guy you put on the ice for defensive zone draws against the opponents top line.

Guy is a super solid 2nd pairing defensive defenseman.

tenor.gif

Yikes.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Let’s recap shall we.

Seriously dude.

marc-bergevin-chicago-blackhawks-e1335963882541.jpg

Montreal went 5 years on a guy in serious decline because of the "dude" pictured here, one of the worst gm's in the history of the Montreal Canadiens. Alzner got way over paid by this genius and now the player is a liability, did you watch him play last year?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
marc-bergevin-chicago-blackhawks-e1335963882541.jpg

Montreal went 5 years on a guy in serious decline because of the "dude" pictured here, one of the worst gm's in the history of the Montreal Canadiens. Alzner got way over paid by this genius and now the player is a liability, did you watch him play last year?

You are conflating two separate things.

Yes I saw him play.
No that has nothing to do with how he got here in the first place.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You are conflating two separate things.

Yes I saw him play.
No that has nothing to do with how he got here in the first place.
Well it should no? You are just a hockey fan like me and surely when you watch Karl Alzner you don't see a 5 million dollar defender do you? You are adamant in your stance about other teams giving him offers and I am not but what about the eye test? The man is in serious decline, he made Alexei Emelin look like Larry Robinson for Christ sake. Greg Pateryn or Brett Lernout could do what Alzner does on a league minimum contract. My problem with the signing lies in the fact that Marc Bergevin saw Alzner as the piece that we were missing, is the man even playing with a full deck of cards?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Washington had better options on D than Karl Alzner. He was just going to be another overpaid bottom-pairing dman on top of Orpik. I don't believe it's just Alzner that wanted to move on because of salary cap issues, I would believe Washington didn't want him back. A shame they weren't able to hold on Nate Schmidt though.

It's still terrible that Alzner was Bergevin's biggest signing of the UFA market. There were already signs that he was slowing down. His ironman sequence was broken down in Playoffs and he barely played 10min/game in the end less than Orpik and Schmidt on a 7d team.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Well it should no? You are just a hockey fan like me and surely when you watch Karl Alzner you don't see a 5 million dollar defender do you? You are adamant in your stance about other teams giving him offers and I am not but what about the eye test? The man is in serious decline, he made Alexei Emelin look like Larry Robinson for Christ sake. Greg Pateryn or Brett Lernout could do what Alzner does on a league minimum contract. My problem with the signing lies in the fact that Marc Bergevin saw Alzner as the piece that we were missing, is the man even playing with a full deck of cards?

I’m not saying you’re wrong on Alzner as a Hab. You were inaccurate with the circumstances that got him here. He did get offers. He just got the best one from Montreal and thought we’d be a lot better than we ended up being. Once he got here it was a train wreck into a dumpster fire flying off a cliff. Doesn’t change that he was a sought after commodity on July 1st, does it?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I’m not saying you’re wrong on Alzner as a Hab. You were inaccurate with the circumstances that got him here. He did get offers. He just got the best one from Montreal and thought we’d be a lot better than we ended up being. Once he got here it was a train wreck into a dumpster fire flying off a cliff. Doesn’t change that he was a sought after commodity on July 1st, does it?
Which teams did he get the offers from? I will concede that I am wrong if you actually tell me which teams made him an offer. When I read there was interest from other teams and I also read that he only visited with Montreal it is a red flag for me. We are not a preferred destination for free agents and I believe that Alzner got his one and only serious offer from Marc Bergevin and that's why he took it, he took the money just like Claude Julien did and we would be naive to think otherwise when it comes to pro sports. There are signings that have to do with winning and signings that are solely for the money and Karl was one of them on surely what will be his last NHL contract but sadly Bergevin was the one that took the bait.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Which teams did he get the offers from? I will concede that I am wrong if you actually tell me which teams made him an offer. When I read there was interest from other teams and I also read that he only visited with Montreal it is a red flag for me. We are not a preferred destination for free agents and I believe that Alzner got his one and only serious offer from Marc Bergevin and that's why he took it, he took the money just like Claude Julien did and we would be naive to think otherwise when it comes to pro sports. There are signings that have to do with winning and signings that are solely for the money and Karl was one of them on surely what will be his last NHL contract but sadly Bergevin was the one that took the bait.

Homestly, I don’t care for you to concede the point. If you want to think that Alzner was going to the KHL or retire of the Canadiens didn’t give him a 5 year deal, well I hope that makes you happy. The circumstances around the situation seem to highly suggest otherwise.

DM Bobby Mac if you want insider details.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Homestly, I don’t care for you to concede the point. If you want to think that Alzner was going to the KHL or retire of the Canadiens didn’t give him a 5 year deal, well I hope that makes you happy. The circumstances around the situation seem to highly suggest otherwise.

DM Bobby Mac if you want insider details.
I did not mean to create any hostility in my questioning of teams that made offers to Alzner but I also am not willing to believe a declining player especially one hoping to create a bidding war on a free agent contract when he says he didn't even visit with other teams. What in demand UFA does that? Karl got his only serious offer from Bergevin and he took it, he was damaged goods coming from Washington and if you disagree with me at least you can admit based on watching him that I am right.

Reactions: Bryson and Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I did not mean to create any hostility in my questioning of teams that made offers to Alzner but I also am not willing to believe a declining player especially one hoping to create a bidding war on a free agent contract when he says he didn't even visit with other teams. What in demand UFA does that? Karl got his only serious offer from Bergevin and he took it, he was damaged goods coming from Washington and if you disagree with me at least you can admit based on watching him that I am right.

I disagree. He’s a western boy and was expected to sign out west. With Price and Weber luring him to Montreal after we finished top on our division that year, it’s not hard to imagine him seeing and saying he thought he had the best chance to win a Cup here and had the best offer from the Habs.

Don’t read too much into it. Players are playing for cash for the most part. Very few will take a “hometown discount” and they’re usually the higher paid players who don’t have to worry about their next contract. Look at Perron. He badly wanted to play for Montreal but took more money to play with St. Louis (I believe).

Doesn’t mean Alzner didn’t or wouldn’t have received an offer from another team. You can’t seriously believe that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fact: Bergevin if he relinquished the GM position today would leave the Habs in a far worse position than when he arrived.

When he started they had just finished 27th or 28th with fee prospects other than Chucky and now we finished 28th with far deeper prospect pool.

So... debatable. ;)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I disagree. He’s a western boy and was expected to sign out west. With Price and Weber luring him to Montreal after we finished top on our division that year, it’s not hard to imagine him seeing and saying he thought he had the best chance to win a Cup here and had the best offer from the Habs.

Don’t read too much into it. Players are playing for cash for the most part. Very few will take a “hometown discount” and they’re usually the higher paid players who don’t have to worry about their next contract. Look at Perron. He badly wanted to play for Montreal but took more money to play with St. Louis (I believe).

Doesn’t mean Alzner didn’t or wouldn’t have received an offer from another team. You can’t seriously believe that.

I actually do, especially when people tell me that we lose free agents because of Montreal's high taxes in comparison to other cities especially those south of the border. Alzner was also reported to have injury issues mostly because of his style of play/blocking shots and it had taken it's toll on him. This was his only serious offer and the term and money were more than he would have received anywhere else. Bergevin even one upped himself and even gave Karl a modified no trade clause, it was too good to be true for old pickles.
Karl Alzner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Bryson and Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I actually do, especially when people tell me that we lose free agents because of Montreal's high taxes in comparison to other cities especially those south of the border. Alzner was also reported to have injury issues mostly because of his style of play/blocking shots and it had taken it's toll on him. This was his only serious offer and the term and money were more than he would have received anywhere else. Bergevin even one upped himself and even gave Karl a modified no trade clause, it was too good to be true for old pickles.
Karl Alzner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Well you’re entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is. You’re seeing the situation for what it is NOW, not what it was in 2017.

The top 30 unrestricted free agents of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad