Player Discussion Alzner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Louis Jean said today on Destination Coupe Stanley AM on TVA Sports that MB will not buy out Alzner. He said he hasn't given up on him and that Alzner has had success in Washington and is confident he will do better next year.
If by some miracle we were able to acquire great players at big contracts in the UFA market (say Tavares) that would have us in cap trouble, I'd rather give up picks (other than 1sts) to a team to take on Alzner's contract.

I don't mind him as a bottom pairing dman since we're not up against the camp.

Plus, he'll be good for the tank this upcoming year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Louis Jean said today on Destination Coupe Stanley AM on TVA Sports that MB will not buy out Alzner. He said he hasn't given up on him and that Alzner has had success in Washington and is confident he will do better next year.

I never expected it, and in fact don't want it as he should help us get a good draft pick again next year. Plus it's kind of funny watching Alzner laying on the ice trying to block a shot or pass only to have the person go around him as he lays there looking like a fish out of water. I can't help but think, I wonder what goes through MB's head when he sees that, the guy that gave him all that money (12M for this past season and next season alone should be a fireable offense) just wonder when he sees that does he still think his defense is better then last years.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Why would they, there isn't much upside to a buyout ATM. Montreal's probably stuck with him for at least the next couple of years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I never expected it, and in fact don't want it as he should help us get a good draft pick again next year. Plus it's kind of funny watching Alzner laying on the ice trying to block a shot or pass only to have the person go around him as he lays there looking like a fish out of water. I can't help but think, I wonder what goes through MB's head when he sees that, the guy that gave him all that money (12M for this past season and next season alone should be a fireable offense) just wonder when he sees that does he still think his defense is better then last years.
Alzner is a guy who should be making around 2-2.5M which is what he was making in Washington...seems like a great guy and teammate...that's it....................how on gods green earth anyone say him as a UFA who should be signed on the first day of the ufa season is beyond laughable..........and our guy made it happen? I mean really, WTF? I lost all faith in MB when he tripled down on Therrien a couple of years ago...but no way did I think he was this dumb.

Which is why, this offseason has me holding my breath, scared to even remotely imagine what the clown, is quite possibly thinking, of doing...

Reactions: montreal

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So his assessment is he's a good human who found himself on a good team. I mean in any of that what does it tell me how he's a good defenseman who's gonna bounce back?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Makes no sense to buy him out now, we aren't going to contend and need the cap space this year so might as well keep him around and hope he can improve rather than have his buyout for 8 years.

He had an awful year, but I found he actually played a lot better later in the year when he was put with Juulsen. I remember Juulsen mentioned Alzner helped him out a lot, just keep him on the third pair for another year or two with the young right D coming up.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Hasn't his hockey career been hard enough already, poor guy has to join this **** show.

There comes a point where the poor guy must be asking himself "What da **** did I do wrong in a previous life??? ****"

Who knows, maybe he's as clueless as Alzner and thinks by joining the Habs he has a chance to win.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Who knows, maybe he's as clueless as Alzner and thinks by joining the Habs he has a chance to win.

Alzner wasn’t clueless. He had to say the right things - Bargain Bin chased after him and threw money that nobody else even dreamed of at him... Alzner took it and ran. Can’t blame him. You just blame the drop out who can’t evaluate talent.

Reactions: Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Washington set him free to come here because they felt that without him they would have a better chance at a cup. Brilliant.

That’s not at all what happened. They couldn’t afford him and we're trying to find a replacement for him all season. Turns out it wasn’t necessary but he and Carlson were a very good and stable combo with lots of chemistry.

Reactions: tazsub3

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He chose to say he came here because he tought he had a better chance at a cup than in WSH. Clueless.

I aint saying Montreal is a cup contender today, but lets remember that WASH was the butt of all the jokes and considered the greatest chokers in the modern NHL. How many times have people called OVIE out saying he could never lead a team to a cup. Alzner could of seen Wash as continue to spin its wheels going nowhere. Lets remember the year before they were bounced once again from the playoffs which has been a reoccurring theme for them for over the last decade.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You said that Washington couldn't afford him so I assumed that because he held such high value that the rest of the league would make pitches to him to try and secure his services. It must have been a case of them not being able to afford him like Washington, or it might be a case of him not being very talented and just not in very high demand unless of course you are Marc Bergevin and madly in love with karacter!

Reactions: Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You said that Washington couldn't afford him so I assumed that because he held such high value that the rest of the league would make pitches to him to try and secure his services. It must have been a case of them not being able to afford him like Washington, or it might be a case of him not being very talented and just not in very high demand unless of course you are Marc Bergevin and madly in love with karacter!

He did have multiple offers. Straining to understand your point.

Do you believe Montreal is the only team that offered Alzner a contract?

Seriously, I’m curious.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He did have multiple offers. Straining to understand your point.

Do you believe Montreal is the only team that offered Alzner a contract?

Seriously, I’m curious.
Canadiens sign defenceman Karl Alzner to five-year deal - Sportsnet.ca

In the article it says that several teams showed interest but he only visited with Montreal, I don't see contract offers in "interest". Hopefully I have eased your straining. If he had offers wouldn't he at least want to meet with the teams making them?:laugh:

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I don,t see either Shinkaruk or Rychel becoming NHL regulars. Rychel perhaps somewhere on a
Canadiens sign defenceman Karl Alzner to five-year deal - Sportsnet.ca

In the article it says that several teams showed interest but he only visited with Montreal, I don't see contract offers in "interest". Hopefully I have eased your straining. If he had offers wouldn't he at least want to meet with the teams making them?:laugh:

That's because no one was crtazy enough to give him 6 years at 5m per. Alzner would have been dumb to not sign that as i doiubt that he would have gotten better from another team. Only MB was willing to pay him that much for that long even though there was signs that he was declining rapidly.

I was skepitcal and adopted a wait and see approach when he was signed but as of now it look like it will be a major failure and that we'll be stuck with him for a long time.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I don,t see either Shinkaruk or Rychel becoming NHL regulars. Rychel perhaps somewhere on a

That's because no one was crtazy enough to give him 6 years at 5m per. Alzner would have been dumb to not sign that as i doiubt that he would have gotten better from another team. Only MB was willing to pay him that much for that long even though there was signs that he was declining rapidly.

I was skepitcal and adopted a wait and see approach when he was signed but as of now it look like it will be a major failure and that we'll be stuck with him for a long time.
He looks like a great guy, but playing with a great Caps team may have biased his actual level. He's nothing more that a third pairing dman.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
He looks like a great guy, but playing with a great Caps team may have biased his actual level. He's nothing more that a third pairing dman.

From what i have read injuries didn't help him either. Was reading on the caps board that hie wrists are f***ed

But yeah hje does seem like a good guy and that is cool. But 5m for a 3rd pairing D is way too much. Won't be surprised if we end up buying him out at some point

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Yup, l
From what i have read injuries didn't help him either. Was reading on the caps board that hie wrists are ****ed

But yeah hje does seem like a good guy and that is cool. But 5m for a 3rd pairing D is way too much. Won't be surprised if we end up buying him out at some point
yup it looks a lot like Gorges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->