Proposal: Alzner for Zaitsev.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Lmao Zaitsev is NOT a top 4 dman :laugh:

Im glad a Canucks fan commented this, because statistically he is almost identical to Tanev.

Tanev (4.45 AAV)
27GP 3Pts
dZS% = 60.7
CF% = 41
CF rel = -8.1
FF% = 41.6
FF rel = -7.6
GA/60 = 2.5

Zaitsev (4.5 AAV)
30GP 2 Pts
dZS% = 58.6
CF% = 46.2
CF rel = -5.1
FF% = 43.9
FF rel = -6
GA/60 = 2.7

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A guy making $4.6m who's been waived and is playing in the minors, versus a guy who's playing top4 minutes at $4.5m. Yeah, I'll take the guy who's an NHL player, thanks.

The "Leafs defense sucks" meme has gone so far that our players now get compared in value to the worst deals in the league.
Im glad a Canucks fan commented this, because statistically he is almost identical to Tanev.

Holy smokes, I just looked at Tanev's stats this year.
5on5
42CF%
-6.83relCF%
36.9xGF% (what the actual f***???)
-14.58relxGF%
29.49ToIQoC

Those are some of the worst numbers I've ever seen.

Zaitsev, for comparison

5on5
47.4CF%
-3.8relCF%
48.27xGF%
-2.18relxGF%
29.42ToIQoC

So, Zaitsev for Nylander, I guess?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They both possess negative value but Alzner moreso even if his contract expires 2 years sooner.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Tanev (4.45 AAV)
27GP 3Pts
dZS% = 60.7
CF% = 41
CF rel = -8.1
FF% = 41.6
FF rel = -7.6
GA/60 = 2.5

Zaitsev (4.5 AAV)
30GP 2 Pts
dZS% = 58.6
CF% = 46.2
CF rel = -5.1
FF% = 43.9
FF rel = -6
GA/60 = 2.7
Tanev is playing on a dumpster fire team having to play with Derrick ***** Pouliot who is brutal, whereas Zaitsev is on a contending team. Also, you can’t just use advance stats. They are not comparable.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Excellent contribution Mr Moderator. I’d suggest you watch some hockey before trying to be a smart ass.

This is an ignorant opinion and you should be setting a better example. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, why are you posting?
Where was I trying to be a “smart ass”? Please tell me. I stated my opinion (which is a very very common opinion about Zaitsev) that he’s absolutely not a top 4 dman, especially on a contending team. I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gardiner is an UFA, he's probably gone....if we move Zaitsev for a guy we are burying in the minors....the Leafs may need me to play D, and nobody wants to see that.

You might be better than Zaitsev though :sarcasm:. Come on man, all you need to do is pass the puck to Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Nylander. Not that hard ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bad proposal.

- Leafs are looking for a RD, not a LD. Alzner is LD and Zaitsey is RD.
- Alzner is 30, Zaitsey is 27
- Alzner is in the AHL, Zaitsev is playing top 4D.

I do think Zaitsev is a fringe top 4D guy but it don't make sense for the Leafs. Also makes no sense for the Habs IMO cause we don't need RD.

Both teams are stuck with their guy

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Gardiner is an UFA, he's probably gone....if we move Zaitsev for a guy we are burying in the minors....the Leafs may need me to play D, and nobody wants to see that.

Yeah that definitely crossed my mind. That's why I mentioned a FA replacement... although I honestly don't know what pending UFA Dmen will be available this July.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Worst case scenario Zaitsev is an overpaid #5/6 and whether we like it or not he's the best RD we have. Alzner is left handed and can't crack Montreal's weak left side. So the Leafs are trading away a bad RD that we desperately need for an even worse LD that we have absolutely no use for. Not to mention Alzner has a higher cap hit right now while the Leafs' biggest cap squeeze will be next year. And the reason for this is to save money 4 years from now?

Am I getting that right?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Toronto's left side becomes

Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott
Hainsey
Alzner
Marincin
Ozhiganov

Montreal's right side becomes

Weber
Petry
Juulsen
Zaitsev
Lernout

please do this lmao

Oz is right handed. I don't think I would even put Alzner over Marincin. Marincin is at least very good at some very specific things he just handles the puck like a live grenade. Rosen and Borgman on the Marlies would also be above Alzner in our full depth chart. Honestly, I wouldn't even play Alzner on the Marlies because I would rather those minutes go to our young D.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
There's no way they can bury his cap hit in the minors. I think at the very best it'd be 75% of his cap hit, but I think it's 100% being in the top X amount of contract on the team. Isn't it like top 20 contracts always count against the cap, no matter what?

After looking into it you're partially right, and I was pretty much completely wrong.

Being a "top x" salary on a team doesn't matter but you can only bury a portion of a contract in the minors now. The amount that will still count against the cap if a player is sent down is the players AAV minus league minimum salary (this year 650k) and an additional 375k

Player AAV - [Minimum Salary + 375k] = Cap hit when sent down

So in the case of Ziatsev it would be 4.5M - [650k + 375k] = 3.475M or a savings of 1.025M.

Definitely not worth burying him to save 1M.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Where was I trying to be a “smart ass”? Please tell me. I stated my opinion (which is a very very common opinion about Zaitsev) that he’s absolutely not a top 4 dman, especially on a contending team. I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

Zaitsev plays in Toronto's Top 4. Toronto is a contending team. So your assessment that he's "absolutely not a top 4 dman, especially on a contending team" seems to be based more on your personal opinion than fact.

You could argue that the Leafs would benefit from an upgrade at RD. Surely though, you can see why dismissing him entirely with "Lmao Zaitsev is NOT a top 4 dman" isn't the best way to present a counter argument? Some people expect mods to hold themselves to a higher standard and not contribute to the immature taunting that frequent this site.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Yeah, I can see he’s getting the Brendan Smith treatment.

In Babcock's defense, we don't really have any other right handed options. Hainsey, arguably our fourth best left handed D, being forced to play top pair RD is a much bigger problem than Zaitsev on the second pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad