Proposal: Alzner for Zaitsev.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ouch why did the Leafs give Zaitsev a 7 year deal after 1 okay season at age 25? I don't even see any potential upside by making that kind of commitment, unless you thought that a 25 year old player would continue improving.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Ouch why did the Leafs give Zaitsev a 7 year deal after 1 okay season at age 25? I don't even see any potential upside by making that kind of commitment, unless you thought that a 25 year old player would continue improving.
Lou Lamoriello isn't our GM anymore lol.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Both teams say no.

Alzner is dead cap space on the Leafs. Doesn't crack the roster and has no value to them.

Zaitsev has more term than Alzner but is at least usable in Toronto. Montreal has depth on the right so don't need him and wouldn't take his term.

Toronto could likely find a taker for Zaitsev but the Habs ain't that team.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
As a neutral fan this is bad for the leafs.

The only question I’d pose to leaf fans who have a better understanding of their cap situation than I do, is would making this deal (in the offseason)to bury alzner in the AHL make any sense? Open up $4.5M cap space for upcoming deals or a FA upgrade around the same $?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

The only question I’d pose to leaf fans who have a better understanding of their cap situation than I do, is would making this deal (in the offseason)to bury alzner in the AHL make any sense? Open up $4.5M cap space for upcoming deals or a FA upgrade around the same $?

There's no way they can bury his cap hit in the minors. I think at the very best it'd be 75% of his cap hit, but I think it's 100% being in the top X amount of contract on the team. Isn't it like top 20 contracts always count against the cap, no matter what?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Meh, both are useless for the Habs. Pass solely because of Zaitsev's term. Gotta think the Leafs pass just as easily though. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
There's no way they can bury his cap hit in the minors. I think at the very best it'd be 75% of his cap hit, but I think it's 100% being in the top X amount of contract on the team. Isn't it like top 20 contracts always count against the cap, no matter what?
I think 900k gets removed when a guy making more than that is waived.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Gardiner is an UFA, he's probably gone....if we move Zaitsev for a guy we are burying in the minors....the Leafs may need me to play D, and nobody wants to see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad