Waived: Alz-ner Well That Ends Well (Cleared waivers, reported to Laval)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You missed the point.

Not signing those guys was actally a blessing in disguise...

I agree with this. Bergevin played hardball, got burned, but ended up getting Kotkaniemi and opened the door to trading Patch.

Imagine a different situation... Markov to 1 year, Radulov to 5 years at $7M+, and Patch also extended cause he would of not drowned like he did last year with Markov and Radulov still with us. The situation we see today could be much different.

- No Kotkaniemi
- No Tatar but we still have Patch on a new contract (as captain)
- No Suzuki
- No extra 2nd round pick in the 2019 draft
- Very little cap space and we still have missing holes
- An ok prospect pool vs a very good one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He seems like a good guy. I'd feel bad for him but - he's pretty rich, so i'm good lol

I believe I counted $25M in actual money he has earned in the NHL so far (before tax and including this year). Pretty sure he and his family are set for life so it's all good. It's a business. If he feels like we are miss treating him, go to the AHL and prove us wrong. Prove to another GM that you still got game as a shutdown type and hopefully we can work out a deal to send Alzner packing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Very curious to see how he plays. Lets hope he produces and other GM's take a shot at him while we retain like $1M or something. Doubt it though. I hope we bury him in the AHL all year and he retires this summer.
You think if he produces in the AHL, it'll increase the likelihood another team takes a shot at him?

Firstly - Alzner is not nor has ever been a point producer, I seriously doubt that's going to change in the AHL

Secondly - Alzner has over 700 NHL games of experience, GM's know what they have with Alzner...the issue is his contract, i'm sure there are a lot of teams that would take Alzner on their teams, but his contract makes that problematic. They'll have to find a team that has a contract they're trying to move, that the Habs may think is a better fit then Alzner is.

Reactions: Andy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weber was never a fast skater and maybe if you have other talents to fall back on it can help you adapt much like Markov did , time will tell for SW.

He certainly wasn't Mete fast but he was a darn good skater in his 20's before he started to have knee problems. They guy is just a skilled smart hockey player and why he was able to do what he did in his 30's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think if he produces in the AHL, it'll increase the likelihood another team takes a shot at him?

Firstly - Alzner is not nor has ever been a point producer, I seriously doubt that's going to change in the AHL

Secondly - Alzner has over 700 NHL games of experience, GM's know what they have with Alzner...the issue is his contract, i'm sure there are a lot of teams that would take Alzner on their teams, but his contract makes that problematic. They'll have to find a team that has a contract they're trying to move, that the Habs may think is a better fit then Alzner is.

1) Producing in the AHL is not necessarily getting points when it comes to Alzner. There is a possibility he plays very well and opens up some eyes. His pride is on the line. I expect him to bring whatever game he las left cause he wants to prove us wrong. Don't confuse this with what I think vs what I am talking about as a possibility

2) The contract is the problem no doubt. I always hated the term of 5 years. 3 years would of been much better. However, if we retain $1M bringing his cap hit to $3.6M, It's still unlikely someone takes a shot. What's the threshold if some GM believes in his defensive play? $3M or less? I have no idea.

Did you read the part where I said "doubt it though"?

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The other funny part is the Habs let Alzner's camp try to negotiate trade with the idea of the Habs retaining. If that was on the table, it would of happened by now. The only way I see someone touching that contact is if we retain $2M annually. Brings it down to $2.6M. Still, not sure another GM touches this.

Maybe the best option is finding a team with a similar struggling player. A bad contract for a bad contract with the hopes both players play better on their new teams.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Alzner at 50% (2.3M) could maybe fetch a 6th round pick.....

I'd be shocked if any team would take him right now at 50%, maybe after next season, as in his final 2 years he's owed 6.5M so at 50% would be owed 3.25M which works out to 1.625M per in actual salary to go with his 2.3125M cap hit.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Directly quote one single person saying that. Just one, if you can.

I was gonna respond the same thing last night but was too tired.

He also did the same hivemind exagerated strawman regarding Radulov yesterday, said something along the lines of "We were told Dallas would be contenders after signing him"

Which is really dishonest because most we're saying that because they had also signed a few players that filled some of their holes, Dallas would be in a better position to make the playoffs, which is exactly where they ended-up. Missed the playoffs by 3 points compared to missing them by 15 points the year prior. Most comments about Dallas I remember were about them being better than the Habs, which ended-up right,

You're wasting your time arguing with Scrub. He's the king of strawman arguments on this board. He's unable to not do it.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
AHL-zner will be with Laval making 4.6M and the rest of the team in Laval will be making about 2M collectively...

Job well done by MB, must be time for another extension from Money Mol$on...lol
I'm hoping my impression from last year holds true and that this is indeed MB's last year as GM.
Sooner or later Molson will have to swallow some ego.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm hoping my impression from last year holds true and that this is indeed MB's last year as GM.
Sooner or later Molson will have to swallow some ego.
If we miss the playoffs I really hope that spells the end for Bergevin.

Too bad we didn’t do it this past summer when we probably could have grabbed BriseBois.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I'm more shocked that Bergevin thought he could trade him even if he retained salary :biglaugh:. Talk about an embarrassment of a phone call. Why bother even try. Put him on waivers and let him drown in the AHL. If he shows some value, then maybe then start the we will retain to unload the contract conversation.
He would have to trade to a team trying to tank...which was probably not a team Alzner's contract permitted.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I think that this was a good move for MTL IMO. Now, the younger players/prospects can look up to another veteran leader on defense.

Reactions: vokiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad