GDT: Alternate GDT: Things to do instead of watching the KCD farce

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Yeah, not in a band. I think the last time I was in an actual "band" was the senior year talent show back in high school. We played 2 songs, one original and a cover of Suffragette City. Tell you what though, we brought that ****ing auditorium down, man.

My kids are now 6 and 3. Drumming downstairs doesn't so much bother them because it's loud anymore, it bothers them because Dad is in the way of THEIR making loud noises on the fun things to hit with sticks.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Guitars and video games.

Just got Sunless Sea on Steam. And I just got a delay, a reverb and a fuzz a couple of weeks ago that I've barely even gotten to play with, yet. Gonna put 'em through their paces and re-wire the board!

Which pedals did you get? I'm a manager of a guitar shop and can talk about this **** for days. Actually, I do talk about it for days. Every day. :laugh:

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
Sounds like dads pretty crappy.

Try keyboard. Are you the trophy stay at home type dad?

Poddy-time and stuff? Me, I'm a ta-black-ho man, myself.

I don't think we've got the horses to dangle the sharks. Maybe if Geno wasn't so accustomed to dying a slow death.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
god damn it I have two .... someone has to bring up the dumb/smartasses right?

:laugh:

I seriously doubt they are worse than my little nephews. And if you're a Pens fan... you're smart enough in my book. Though these days... yeesh. I dunno. I'm starting to feel dumb continuing to watch them.

Which pedals did you get? I'm a manager of a guitar shop and can talk about this **** for days. Actually, I do talk about it for days. Every day. :laugh:

HA! Tell me about it, man. And don't get me rolling... I'll never shut up.

I got a Digitech Polara reverb and an Obscura delay. Along with an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper (Tone Bender fuzz clone). They're... absolutely glorious. The fuzz is noisy but I mean... that's to be expected. The reverb and delay are incredible. Digitech has really stepped up their game. If you'd like a more detailed rundown I can review them once I get off of work. Though I imagine chances are good you've already gotten your hands on them.

I play in a small band. But it hardly pays the bills, or anything. We've played Howlers and Lava Lounge in Pittsburgh, though. Fun shows. With all the band members having kids... it gets tougher and tougher to play out, though.

May 10, 2010
Re-watch the last cup run, swallow sadness with some White Russians and fantasize about what could have been.

Ah yes, back when Dupuis was a young 4th liner instead of an old first line staple with 4 pts.

That run is tainted. I could never watch it again and look at some of those players the same. Guerin, Dupuis, Kunitz...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why torture ourselves?

I just DLed a few movies I've been meaning to see. Summer With Monika tonight probably. Also joined a Zappa message board (even though I don't care for Zappa) to get my hands on some Beefheart bootlegs.

What's everybody else doing?

I bought Fallout 4 recently. I might play that since most shows seem to be on their Christmas hiatus.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I bought Fallout 4 recently. I might play that since most shows seem to be on their Christmas hiatus.

I am doing everything in my power to avoid that siren song, for now.

I need to make a concerted effort to be with and pay attention to my friends and loved ones before I disappear and nobody hears from me for six months to a year. Because that's exactly what will happen the first time I fire that game up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Watching Jessica Jones or maybe getting caught up on Gotham. There's probably a metaphor about the Pens.

Oh, and doing what my family is built to do, boycott.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I am doing everything in my power to avoid that siren song, for now.

I need to make a concerted effort to be with and pay attention to my friends and loved ones before I disappear and nobody hears from me for six months to a year. Because that's exactly what will happen the first time I fire that game up.

Depending on what you play the Fallout games for, it might be a bit disappointing. If you love it for exploration, adventure, combat, and the overall landscape of a post-apocalyptic world, it's great. But if you're like me and like learning about the characters you meet or the places you visit via dialogue exposition, you'll be disappointed.

I'm early in the game, but it seems like I don't really know much about anyone I've seen or any place I've been. In past FO games when you arrived in a new town, almost every resident would tell you about the history of the place, who the important people are, and what the struggles are. It made you feel like you were entering a world that was alive. In FO4, that seems to be ... lacking.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I too play half-assed guitar and sing (sort of). Been out of the band scene for a few years, but still occassionaly play parties and host open stages.

For all the talk of guitar players and drummers, the hardest *** thing to find are bass players!

Anyway, I'll be sound asleep before this train wreck tonight, dreaming about what this team should have been the last 5 years, or chicks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Depending on what you play the Fallout games for, it might be a bit disappointing. If you love it for exploration, adventure, combat, and the overall landscape of a post-apocalyptic world, it's great. But if you're like me and like learning about the characters you meet or the places you visit via dialogue exposition, you'll be disappointed.

I'm early in the game, but it seems like I don't really know much about anyone I've seen or any place I've been. In past FO games when you arrived in a new town, almost every resident would tell you about the history of the place, who the important people are, and what the struggles are. It made you feel like you were entering a world that was alive. In FO4, that seems to be ... lacking.

Truth to be told... they are all disappointing compared to the original two, IMO. And Bethesda is by no means perfect. The dialogue stuff (from what I've seen -- trying to keep my eyes off of it) does, indeed, look really dumbed down.

I mostly play the new ones for the "pro" reasons you mentioned. Exploration, combat, open world, etc. Though I very much enjoy the list of "cons" you have there, too.

It will dominate me, regardless, I'm sure. I am not yet prepared.

I too play half-assed guitar and sing (sort of). Been out of the band scene for a few years, but still occassionaly play parties and host open stages.

For all the talk of guitar players and drummers, the hardest *** thing to find are bass players!

Truth there, too. GOOD bass players. I'm actually not TOO terrible on bass. Though I'm sure to real bass players, I sound like a guitar player playing bass. Timing/tempo seems very, very important on bass. And taste, of course. People assume it's easy and it's really, really not.

Honestly it warms my heart to know there are so many musicians on this forum.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I started with bass guitar about 12 years ago. Learned six string 2 years after that. Taught myself drums a few years ago.

Who needs a band? I'm the one man band baby! (Not like Heath Slater)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I started with bass guitar about 12 years ago. Learned six string 2 years after that. Taught myself drums a few years ago.

Who needs a band? I'm the one man band baby! (Not like Heath Slater)

Heck yeah, man. Record that ****!

Seriously... building a small home studio isn't as impossible and mega-expensive as it once was. Audio interface, laptop, some mics and you have the start of something you can do a lot with. Well... and spending the many sleepless nights learning how to use the stuff (correctly), of course. But even DAWs are much, much easier to navigate than in years passed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Off the top, I just wanna say how glad I am to see so many people not only refusing to support this **** show, but doing some interesting things to boot.

I'll be honest, I don't get the Zappa love. He's huge here, but mostly because the Totalitarian regime really hated him. Give me the Velvets, La Monte Young, Beefheart, and Neu! over Zappa, any day of the week.

I've always appreciated Zappa. But he really isn't a huge favorite of mine, either.

Zappa I feel like I should get into, because so many people whose opinions I respect dig him, but I just... I dunno. I feel like he's a technically great player who writes boring songs. So I'm willing to give him a chance, I guess.

Yeah, Zappa always struck me as a guy who was technically gifted and musically diverse enough to play whatever he wanted, but he didn't really have much original to say so he just made cynical parodies and pastiches. But I'll always be grateful that he had the cojones to produce Beefheart, because I'm sure nobody else would have. If nothing else, he could identify a unique talent.

Good lord, truer words ne'er spoken. :laugh:

I'm starting up a new project with a really exciting Georgian drummer, very avant-garde drone/psych/noise, but for ***** and giggles last weekend, we played a bunch of "sludgified" James Brown covers which was LOADS of fun. Except she kept calling the downbeat the "get down".

Sounds like fun, and that mix isn't as odd as it might seem at first blush. Everyone from the Stooges to Can were influenced pretty heavily by JB. Who doesn't like a colossal funk vamp?

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I'm gonna spend the time learning to play Magic The Gathering. I'd rather be called a nerd than a Pens fan at this point.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
One is embarrassing and certainly a female Pejorative Slurant. The other is being a nerd.

1574037.jpg

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've fallen in love with bombay gin and orange juice. Something about the acidity of OJ, pine needles and a nice buzz.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I've fallen in love with bombay gin and orange juice. Something about the acidity of OJ, pine needles and a nice buzz.

I would encourage you not to mix good liquor with anything and especially orange juice. While I don't consider Bombay good liquor it's still a practice you don't want to get into.

Good liquor was meant to be drank straight, maybe over ice, but not mixed with anything other than a little water from time to time. It's easier than you think and MUCH more enjoyable.

Try doing a scotch primer. Yes you will feel like an alcoholic for a couple weeks, but there is a price to pay for everything. Don't guess on the amounts, measure them out each time. Start with a 70/30 mix of water and scotch with the 70 being water. Drink that for three days. Move to a 50/50 mix, this one will take four or five days to get used to. It gets much easier after that. go to 75/25 scotch/water for three to four days and then just Scotch over ice.

You will invest two weeks and then be enjoying pretty much everything straight and finding you understand and taste the difference between good liquor and garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad