GDT: Alternate GDT: Things to do instead of watching the KCD farce

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why torture ourselves?

I just DLed a few movies I've been meaning to see. Summer With Monika tonight probably. Also joined a Zappa message board (even though I don't care for Zappa) to get my hands on some Beefheart bootlegs.

What's everybody else doing?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Guitars and video games.

Just got Sunless Sea on Steam. And I just got a delay, a reverb and a fuzz a couple of weeks ago that I've barely even gotten to play with, yet. Gonna put 'em through their paces and re-wire the board!

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I'm going to go grocery shopping, and then I'm going to make dinner.
After that, I'm going to pay most of my bills.

I might do a couple of loads of laundry, and then I'll clean the countertops in the kitchen.

If there is any time left before going to bed, I'll just listen to music and surf the web.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Late game tonight, eh? So instead of watching I'll most likely read until I fall asleep where I will happily dream of a magic sunshine-filled land where my favorite team is not spending $10 million of cap space on incompetent veteran leadership.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I will play AC: Syndicate, until the game starts. Then i'll go to bed and fall asleep with it on.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'll be honest, I don't get the Zappa love. He's huge here, but mostly because the Totalitarian regime really hated him. Give me the Velvets, La Monte Young, Beefheart, and Neu! over Zappa, any day of the week.

I'll be soldering new pickups in my Fender Jaguar and working on doing some mixes instead of listening to Rascal "The Warrior, come out to play-ay-ay" Duprix botch opportunities tonight.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I will play AC: Syndicate, until the game starts. Then i'll go to bed and fall asleep with it on.

How are you finding ac syndicate? I loved playing black flag but still on the fence on the rest of the series. I'm just getting into the witcher series currently.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll be honest, I don't get the Zappa love. He's huge here, but mostly because the Totalitarian regime really hated him. Give me the Velvets, La Monte Young, Beefheart, and Neu! over Zappa, any day of the week.

I'll be soldering new pickups in my Fender Jaguar and working on doing some mixes instead of listening to Rascal "The Warrior, come out to play-ay-ay" Duprix botch opportunities tonight.

Nice. You fix the bridge on that sucker, yet? I'm just assuming it's wonky since every single Jag/Jazz I've ever picked up had a wonky factory bridge/trem. Otherwise... easily my second favorite Fender model (right behind the venerable tele). And to be fair... if "Standard" string gauges were closer (read: heavier) to what they were back when the Jazz/Jag was designed... the rocking trem would probably work a lot better.

I've always appreciated Zappa. But he really isn't a huge favorite of mine, either.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
As a drummer, I come standard with an inherent jealousy of all guitar players. That being said, I am however satisfied with how much easier my equipment is to maintain.

Penguinzilla*

I will be watching the KCD line score many goals. Like, at least 6. Or.... maybe just play Assassins Creed

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Re-watch the last cup run, swallow sadness with some White Russians and fantasize about what could have been.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I used to stay up until 1am to watch these games and hate myself this next morning but I dont think i will tonight just to see KCD shut down by Paul martin . Ill just record it and watch it the next day

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nice. You fix the bridge on that sucker, yet? I'm just assuming it's wonky since every single Jag/Jazz I've ever picked up had a wonky factory bridge/trem. Otherwise... easily my second favorite Fender model (right behind the venerable tele). And to be fair... if "Standard" string gauges were closer (read: heavier) to what they were back when the Jazz/Jag was designed... the rocking trem would probably work a lot better.

I've always appreciated Zappa. But he really isn't a huge favorite of mine, either.

I own several Jazzies and Jags (my preferred guitars, honestly) and the first thing I do is swap out the stock bridge for a Mustang. I'd love to throw a Mastery bridge in one for more sustain, but they're super expensive to import to the EU and there's like a two month waiting list. I'll see if I can grab one in stateside when I'm home for Christmas.

This Jag is the first one I've put together by myself from parts-- US body, MIJ neck, and lipstick pickups (ala Oliver Ackermann and Tom Verlaine), so it's been a labor of love and a great learning experience. I don't know why I used to pay someone to work on my guitars-- they're not dangerous like amps, and they're simple as **** to fix. And I don't play anything lighter than .12s :laugh:

Zappa I feel like I should get into, because so many people whose opinions I respect dig him, but I just... I dunno. I feel like he's a technically great player who writes boring songs. So I'm willing to give him a chance, I guess.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As a drummer, I come standard with an inherent jealousy of all guitar players. That being said, I am however satisfied with how much easier my equipment is to maintain.

Drummers astound me. I have no idea how you guys do what you do. What with the legs and arms all moving in syncopation? Ridiculous. I manage to stomp my patch cord out of my guitar multiple times a show. I can't even fathom having to, like... move my legs in concert with my arms in order to move the song along. You should see me attempt to "dance."

You shouldn't be too jealous. You can swing a dead cat in any small town and hit five competent guitar players. Try replacing a good drummer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Drummers astound me. I have no idea how you guys do what you do. What with the legs and arms all moving in syncopation? Ridiculous. I manage to stomp my patch cord out of my guitar multiple times a show. I can't even fathom having to, like... move my legs in concert with my arms in order to move the song along. You should see me attempt to "dance."

You shouldn't be too jealous. You can swing a dead cat in any small town and hit five competent guitar players. Try replacing a good drummer.

Good lord, truer words ne'er spoken. :laugh:

I'm starting up a new project with a really exciting Georgian drummer, very avant-garde drone/psych/noise, but for ***** and giggles last weekend, we played a bunch of "sludgified" James Brown covers which was LOADS of fun. Except she kept calling the downbeat the "get down".

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

I'm starting up a new project with a really exciting Georgian drummer, very avant-garde drone/psych/noise, but for ***** and giggles last weekend, we played a bunch of "sludgified" James Brown covers which was LOADS of fun. Except she kept calling the downbeat the "get down".

tumblr_inline_mhbc26ftkg1qz4rgp.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm going to hang out with my son (3 months old) and probably watch some of the game after he falls asleep haha.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

We finally found a guy after a few months of looking. Half an acid casualty and tends to repeat himself a lot... but a really good-hearted guy and an insane drummer with great work ethic. Willing to hang with and tolerate our weird *****, too. Which is nice.

That's awesome you are building/servicing your own. It's a little intimidating (working on my 20 year old, only-owner LP for the first time was panic-inducing) but it really is kinda hard to truly **** them up. I started going that route yeas ago after I got sick of paying someone else to do a sometimes-mediocre job. I figured I had a bunch of pawn-shop-fresh beaters laying around... might as well make use of them.

One of my favorite guitars is a 100 dollar Aria I got at a pawn shop. It's from the early 90s and it still had plastic on the pickguard. A few tweaks and it's nicer than most American HSS strats I've played. Though honestly... strats... meh. Would never pay good money for one. Though that's obviously a minority opinion. Don't like the control layout... don't like banging my pick off that middle pickup constantly... don't even particularly like the sound for most applications.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm going to hang out with my son (3 months old) and probably watch some of the game after he falls asleep haha.

That's awesome, man. I didn't know you were a dad.

Though obviously that's a recent development. Good to hear. More smart people need to have kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad