Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, we have a manager now. So it's back to patiently waiting for Vlad Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dont know much about him. We'll see I guess. I personally dont think Managers make a huge difference.

Lets see what else the jays do this off-season

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Well you can't accuse them of trying to placate the fan base with a sexy name, that's for sure!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Analytics has made the game worse. If a starter is dominant through 6 or 7, you don't take him out just because he is going through the lineup 3rd or 4th time. I hope this new guy is not like that.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Analytics has made the game worse. If a starter is dominant through 6 or 7, you don't take him out just because he is going through the lineup 3rd or 4th time. I hope this new guy is not like that.

Personally, I hope he's willing to do whatever gives the team the best chance to win. That often means pulling the starter "early" in a close game.

Starting pitcher ERA in 2018:
1st time through the order: 3.45
2nd time through the order: 4.17
3rd time through the order: 5.47
4th time through the order: 6.69

You might think it makes the game worse (because tradition and stuff) but if the Jays don't head in that direction they're going to get left behind and consistently lose games to less talented teams. Yay?

Last edited:

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

All of the data indicates that starters typically regress through the lineup, with heavy regression through the "3rd and 4th time", so it would seem to me that you are just being kind of an idiot here.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Well now wouldn't it be nice to have starters who made it to the lineup a 4th time to have to worry about it?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
All of the data indicates that starters typically regress through the lineup, with heavy regression through the "3rd and 4th time", so it would seem to me that you are just being kind of an idiot here.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Personally, I hope he's willing to do whatever gives the team the best chance to win. That often means pulling the starter "early" in a close game.

Starting pitcher ERA in 2018:
1st time through the order: 3.45
2nd time through the order: 4.17
3rd time through the order: 5.47
4th time through the order: 6.69

You might think it makes the game worse (because tradition and stuff) but if the Jays don't head in that direction they're going to get left behind and consistently lose games to less talented teams. Yay?

What are the 3rd and 4th times through stats if the Starter is “dominant” in the first 2 times through?

I suspect most managers, under normal circumstances and pitch counts, would let starter continue if he’s dominating the lineup.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What are the 3rd and 4th times through stats if the Starter is “dominant” in the first 2 times through?

I suspect most managers, under normal circumstances and pitch counts, would let starter continue if he’s dominating the lineup.

It doesn't matter how "dominant" a pitcher is the first time through the order... his stats get worse the third time through.

DeGrom - 0.68, 1.93, 2.30
Verlander - 2.31, 1.83, 3.86
Kershaw - 2.28, 2.68, 3.67

And so on and so on with the exception of a few random one-year anomalies. Sure, Third Time Through DeGrom is as effective as most relievers and Verlander and Kershaw are still excellent, but the point is that they get significantly worse to the point where you have to weigh whether a reliever would be expected to perform better. And these are the elite of the elite. Stroman and Sanchez both have ERAs over 5.00 the third time through - in a close game, there's no way they should be allowed to face the opposing lineup a third time.

And to actually answer your question, the fourth time through is probably a good barometer for how well pitchers do late in games when they're dominating since you don't get to face batters for a fourth time unless you've been excellent up until that point. And boy are the fourth-time-through numbers ever ugly. Scherzer at 5.93 for his career, DeGrom at 5.14, Kluber at 6.71, Verlander at 5.77...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It doesn't matter how "dominant" a pitcher is the first time through the order... his stats get worse the third time through.

DeGrom - 0.68, 1.93, 2.30
Verlander - 2.31, 1.83, 3.86
Kershaw - 2.28, 2.68, 3.67

And so on and so on with the exception of a few random one-year anomalies. Sure, Third Time Through DeGrom is as effective as most relievers and Verlander and Kershaw are still excellent, but the point is that they get significantly worse to the point where you have to weigh whether a reliever would be expected to perform better. And these are the elite of the elite. Stroman and Sanchez both have ERAs over 5.00 the third time through - in a close game, there's no way they should be allowed to face the opposing lineup a third time.

And to actually answer your question, the fourth time through is probably a good barometer for how well pitchers do late in games when they're dominating since you don't get to face batters for a fourth time unless you've been excellent up until that point. And boy are the fourth-time-through numbers ever ugly. Scherzer at 5.93 for his career, DeGrom at 5.14, Kluber at 6.71, Verlander at 5.77...

Exactly what you’d expect to see.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
People are going to gush over the Eduardo Nunez 13th inning catch the way they did that time Jeter flew into the stands. And it's stupid becuase in both cases the guy made the catch well before he flung himself over the railing. 99 times out of 100 he would just crash into the fence and stay in bounds and people would be excited by the catch but not losing their minds over it.

EDIT: and there it is. Vasgergian just called it a "Derek Jeter moment."

That Jeter play is the most overrated Jeter play in the playbook of overrated Jeter plays.

It's gotten so loony that Buck frigging Martinez is basically being the voice of reason here.

Reactions: Forgotusername

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I'm still watching at 315 and I don't really even care who wins. Hopefully la I think as long as Michado doesn't end it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad