Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, we have a manager now. So it's back to patiently waiting for Vlad Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I await the inevitable, short-sighted "It's not a name I recognize, therefore it sucks" backlash.

On the other hand, I choose to withhold judgement until I can see him talk and see how he handles the team.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I await the inevitable, short-sighted "It's not a name I recognize, therefore it sucks" backlash.

On the other hand, I choose to withhold judgement until I can see him talk and see how he handles the team.

Or, more specifically, he's not Stubby Clapp.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
My argument is he’s 53 and here for a few years to bring along some players then they will find someone else.

Should have went younger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays set to hire Charlie Montoyo as manager - Sportsnet.ca
TORONTO – Impressed by the way the Tampa Bay Rays use data in their decision-making on and off the field, the Toronto Blue Jays are set to hire Charlie Montoyo away from their American League East rivals to be their new manager according to an industry source.

The decision, perhaps the most important made in Ross Atkins’ three years as GM thus far, comes on the same day Rocco Baldelli, another finalist from the analytically advanced club, was hired by the Minnesota Twins to replace the fired Paul Molitor.

David Bell, hired Sunday by the Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde, and Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada were the other known finalists for the Blue Jays’ vacancy.

Montoyo, a 53-year-old from Florida, Puerto Rico who was in Toronto on Tuesday for an in-person interview, takes over from the departed John Gibbons and will give a rebuilding Blue Jays team a new and much different leader.

He also gives them a bilingual voice at the helm at a time when young Latino players like Vladimir Guerrero Jr., and Lourdes Gurriel Jr., are on the verge of becoming key parts of the franchise.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Heres an older article that talked about him

He joined the Rays immediately after and proceeded to manage at every level of the organization, including eight seasons at triple-A Durham, winning seven South Division titles in the International League.

The Rays added him to their big-league staff as third base coach in 2015 and he served three years in that role until his promotion to bench coach this season.

Blue Jays interview Rays bench coach Charlie Montoyo for manager opening - Sportsnet.ca

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
From 2014.

Montoyo, 50, managed the Bulls from 2007-2014, winning the International League South Division seven times, reaching the Governors' Cup Finals a league-record six times and capturing two Governors' Cup championships in 2009 and 2013.

Since retiring, he has spent each of the past 18 seasons as a manager in the Tampa Bay organization, heading teams at every classification in the system.

A two-time International League Manager of the Year (2010, 2013).

In 2009, he led the Bulls to the Triple-A National Championship title, earned Baseball America's Minor League Manager of the Year award and was named Minor League Baseball's Mike Coolbaugh award winner, honoring an individual for their outstanding mentoring of young players.

Charlie Montoyo Promoted to Tampa Bay Rays Coaching Staff

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Career .400 hitter. How will Vlad Jr. feel playing for a manager who was better than he is? :sarcasm:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Inside the Rays: Charlie Montoyo

Documentary on Charlie Montoyo, pride of Florida, Puerto Rico and member of the 1982 championship team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Latino, Rays alum, yep sounds like a progressive pick right off the bat.

I don’t think he’s progressive at all. He seems to prefer results and getting things done rather than just making people feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad