Weekes: Along with The Devils, significant interest on Meier are coming from Vegas, Toronto, Carolina

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
how is vegas or Toronto going to Give him a Q offer of 10mil? from his stand point he has all the cards.

It’s been reported that Toronto wouldn’t be opposed to viewing him as a rental…but at the same time, from a Shark’s standpoint, why would they be looking at a team looking to give up a rental price for Meier over a team looking at him long term? If Toronto somehow offers the best package over both NJD and CAR for only a guaranteed rental, then that seems like poor asset management on Toronto’s part.

And Vegas seems to have nothing of value to really win out a bidding war against other teams here.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It’s been reported that Toronto wouldn’t be opposed to viewing him as a rental…but at the same time, from a Shark’s standpoint, why would they be looking at a team looking to give up a rental price for Meier over a team looking at him long term. If Toronto somehow offers the best package over both NJD and CAR for only a guaranteed rental, then that seems like poor asset management on Toronto’s part.

And Vegas seems to have nothing of value to really win out a bidding war against other teams here.

The assumption is that an extension adds meaningful value. The evidence is mixed. Faulk, Pageau and Lindholm didn’t get much more than expected, for example.

The absence of a new contract may simply subtract some trade partners.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The assumption is that an extension adds meaningful value. The evidence is mixed. Faulk, Pageau and Lindholm didn’t get much more than expected, for example.

The absence of a new contract may simply subtract some trade partners.

I don’t think those are really comparable situations or players. And we also don’t know what they would have fetched if they were viewed as pure rentals.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
No one is going to pay the price for Meier and treat him as rental
Could trade for him and either flip him or someone else in the summer to recoup the assets.

Not likely but a possibility

Could be that if they can agree to terms on a long term deal at 8 ish million they trade Nylander or another piece to make space? Could even flip Meier at the draft although I don't know how likely that would be given the acquisition cost
Could always trade Matthews in the summer since he's gone after next season anyways ;)

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They could decide to move Meier or Nylander in the summer depending on their extension demands.

And if they trade Meier & Nylander in the Summer they'll get a better return than the 1st/Knies/+? they gave up to get Timo.

Problem is if Dubas is still in charge he'll be hell bent on re-signing Nylander and given what happened last time and the season he's having, Willie is going to be looking for Nate money (not actually but he'll try) and will stretch negotiations out right up until July 1st, 2024 to squeeze every last dollar, then may still walk for nothing.

In fact, I'll be surprised if Willie doesn't go to free agency anyway knowing they'll be a bidding war. Unless of course Kyle gives in and gives him Nate money. But back to Timo, there are options for next season if they do get him but doing so pretty much means either he or someone else among the big 4 has to go this summer.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
The report was that the Leafs do not want to move their 1st or top prospects for a RENTAL.

Key word there, RENTAL. Meier is not a rental, hes an rfa after this year.

Meier should be the Devils to lose. They have the prospects and picks to make it work. It would be really foolish of them to not pull the trigger imo.

Holtz + 1st + whatever else you need to get it done.
If he's not a rental how they gonna fit him next year......

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It’s been reported that Toronto wouldn’t be opposed to viewing him as a rental…but at the same time, from a Shark’s standpoint, why would they be looking at a team looking to give up a rental price for Meier over a team looking at him long term? If Toronto somehow offers the best package over both NJD and CAR for only a guaranteed rental, then that seems like poor asset management on Toronto’s part.

It'd be a calculated risk to trade for Meier then trade him at a perceived loss. Different sport but I'm reminded of the Oakland A's trading prospect SS Addison Russell for starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija. Then after using Samardzija for those playoffs, Oakland dealt him for SS Marcus Semien (and Chris Bassitt). So for Oakland they essentially dealt Russell for Semien while getting Samardzija for a postseason run.

Let's say Vegas is looking at Meier as a rent + re-trade option. Conceptually, let's just say San Jose prefers Vegas' prospects to what the Devils are offering:

VGK: LW Timo Meier
SJS: C/LW Brendan Brisson, RD Kaedan Korczak, VGK 2023 1st, VGK 2024 1st

Vegas gets a run with Meier to replace Mark Stone for these playoffs. Then maybe at the draft, they could approach the Devils for a trade:

NJD: LW Timo Meier
VGK: LW Nolan Foote, LD Kevin Bahl, NJD 2023 1st, NJD 2024 2nd

Again, just more conceptual. If a team could trade package A for Meier then get back similar assets in package B, then it might be worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Nico13

Nov 29, 2021
Switzerland
Too much speculation for nothing.

Timo will be a Devil. Fans of other teams should stop dreaming now to avoid big disappointment.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
So they'd get Meier or just this season and have to move him in the off-season, is that what you are suggesting they might do? So in other words, a "rental" :sarcasm:

Kidding said, I understand he's under a teams control for a year so he's not a rental in the classic sense of the word, but if they can't keep him for another year due to contract demand or the QO, he's essentially still a rental in that they'd only have him for the remainder of this season. Would they be willing to give up a 1st and Knies in that scenario? I haven't followed the leafs enough these past couple of years to know so will rely on what others say.

If Toronto feels they can make a roster that will fit him in next year, then yeah, that's not a rental but I'll still be surprised to see that play out, regardless of what fans on HF put on paper that works.
Leafs would have to move Murray in a soft deal and trade brodie for picks in the offseason. When Muzzin goes on Ltir in game 1 they can add a 1 year rental D with his cap.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I've said it once, and i'll say it again. Meier will be a Devil and the Devils will be trading Mercer.

I'd be stunned if they moved Mercer for Meier. Not often that teams move young players like him that are already key contributors as part of a deal - particularly when they have more than enough other assets at their disposal to make the best offer. Mercer has too much value to the Devils going forward, particularly with his versatility to play C/RW and up and down in the lineup. Guess we'll see how this all shakes out.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If he's not a rental how they gonna fit him next year......
Could move him or Nylander in the off season. That would be the likely outcome. He gives an element to the Leafs top 6 that they don't have, so I could see a scenario where they would rather go with Meier over Nylander. But I really doubt the Leafs would get him.

Meier probably gets in the 9s on a long term deal, something like what Tkachuk just signed. Willy currently makes 7, so youre looking at like a 2.5m increase if they moved Willy, and Muzzin's career is essentially over so thats 5.6m in cap space.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I just want him on the Leafs long term.
2023 1st + 2024 1st + knies + Niemela + Murray
For
Meier 50% retained + Reimer

This gives the Leafs more flexibility to extend Meier after this season and keep their Big 4 plus Reilly.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad