Weekes: Along with The Devils, significant interest on Meier are coming from Vegas, Toronto, Carolina

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There was a report not too long ago that the Leafs don't want to move their 1st round pick/their top prospect, and I don't think Vegas has the right prospect unless the Sharks want Lukas Cormier. Almost certainly going to come down to the Canes and Devils, and there's just too much smoke linking Timo to New Jersey.
The report was that the Leafs do not want to move their 1st or top prospects for a RENTAL.

Key word there, RENTAL. Meier is not a rental, hes an rfa after this year.

Meier should be the Devils to lose. They have the prospects and picks to make it work. It would be really foolish of them to not pull the trigger imo.

Holtz + 1st + whatever else you need to get it done.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The report was that the Leafs do not want to move their 1st or top prospects for a RENTAL.

Key word there, RENTAL. Meier is not a rental, hes an rfa after this year.
True, but how can the Leafs afford his $10M QO next year so that he isn't a rental? Four $10M + players seems like a stretch to me, but who knows.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
True, but how can the Leafs afford his $10M QO next year so that he isn't a rental? Four $10M + players seems like a stretch to me, but who knows.
Could be that if they can agree to terms on a long term deal at 8 ish million they trade Nylander or another piece to make space? Could even flip Meier at the draft although I don't know how likely that would be given the acquisition cost

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

We've had folks on our forum make a roster work with everyone next season. It is technically possible. But even if they don't, he's still under team control regardless so he's not a rental. They could decide to move Meier or Nylander in the summer depending on their extension demands.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Who knows with Vegas, maybe they are sending someone like William KArlsson or Theodore in return along with retention from SJ.

Vegas for sure will be one of the bottom feeder teams in like 3-4 years.

They are in yolo mode with no high end prospects and aging core.
Why would SJ want either of those?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I havent been keeping up, has SJ given permission for Meiers agent to talk extension with other teams?

The price for Meier in any case will be massive.
& team that’s willing to go after him will want him longterm
Their owner wants to win cup like yesterday

They’ve just trades for like half the players in the league.

Who can they put on the table to match Devils offers?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We've had folks on our forum make a roster work with everyone next season. It is technically possible. But even if they don't, he's still under team control regardless so he's not a rental. They could decide to move Meier or Nylander in the summer depending on their extension demands.

So they'd get Meier or just this season and have to move him in the off-season, is that what you are suggesting they might do? So in other words, a "rental" :sarcasm:

Kidding said, I understand he's under a teams control for a year so he's not a rental in the classic sense of the word, but if they can't keep him for another year due to contract demand or the QO, he's essentially still a rental in that they'd only have him for the remainder of this season. Would they be willing to give up a 1st and Knies in that scenario? I haven't followed the leafs enough these past couple of years to know so will rely on what others say.

If Toronto feels they can make a roster that will fit him in next year, then yeah, that's not a rental but I'll still be surprised to see that play out, regardless of what fans on HF put on paper that works.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
There was a report not too long ago that the Leafs don't want to move their 1st round pick/their top prospect, and I don't think Vegas has the right prospect unless the Sharks want Lukas Cormier. Almost certainly going to come down to the Canes and Devils, and there's just too much smoke linking Timo to New Jersey.

Leafs said they don't want ot move them for a rental.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Still NJD and CAR are the only teams that seem to make sense from both sides as far as trade value goes.

Reactions: HBK27

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So they'd get Meier or just this season and have to move him in the off-season, is that what you are suggesting they might do? So in other words, a "rental" :sarcasm:

Kidding said, I understand he's under a teams control for a year so he's not a rental in the classic sense of the word, but if they can't keep him for another year due to contract demand or the QO, he's essentially still a rental in that they'd only have him for the remainder of this season. Would they be willing to give up a 1st and Knies in that scenario? I haven't followed the leafs enough these past couple of years to know so will rely on what others say.

If Toronto feels they can make a roster that will fit him in next year, then yeah, that's not a rental but I'll still be surprised to see that play out, regardless of what fans on HF put on paper that works.

The bad part of a rental is losing them for nothing. In this case they would be able to recoup a portion of the assets spent to get him. So I do think they'd be potentially willing to part with all their best futures.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It's already been reported that the Leafs would entertain a player like Meiers for a playoff run and then figure it out in the off season. It was suggested they could trade the player in the summer (Meiers / Nylander) to recoup picks and prospects.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Could be that if they can agree to terms on a long term deal at 8 ish million they trade Nylander or another piece to make space? Could even flip Meier at the draft although I don't know how likely that would be given the acquisition cost
Why bother going through all of that? Essentially swap Meier for Nylander but give up Knies and a 1st plus in order to do so? Ya not happening

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think NJ is going to be hesitant before knowing what Meier wants. If they feel they can extend him I think you're going to get the best offer from NJD.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
If Toronto trades for him is it just a rental, 10million QO and gonna be 8-9 million to resign him long term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad