Speculation: Almost a year later

Do you want a do-over on the Copp and Chiarot contracts?

• Yes, they are not good deals

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • No, I am fine with their production

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • MOD EDIT

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Copp is the new Abby, but people don't want to see it because of Yzerman. five-year, $28.125 million . Average annual value of $5.625 million. He had a career year year, the right year.

Chiarot is the new Nielsen. He doesn't bring anything advertised. Worse, his terrible deal likely ended Hronek's time in Detroit. Four-year contract with an average annual value of $4.75 million.

As much as I can't stand the Chiarot deal, the Copp deal is worse.
No… Hronek wanting 7M+ as a one way D who could return a 1st and 2nd in the draft sealed his way out of town.

Reactions: heyfolks

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Copp is the new Abby, but people don't want to see it because of Yzerman. five-year, $28.125 million . Average annual value of $5.625 million. He had a career year year, the right year.

Chiarot is the new Nielsen. He doesn't bring anything advertised. Worse, his terrible deal likely ended Hronek's time in Detroit. Four-year contract with an average annual value of $4.75 million.

Lol, Chiarot has nothing to do with Hronek. Jesus.

Reactions: SoupNazi

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I love how Detroit will need at least another decade to draft the right players, but a 5-year deal to Copp and a 4-year deal to Chiarot are somehow also the bottleneck.

If I could just harness the power of this new math, I'm sure I could magic beans enough money into my bank account that I could retire early.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Hated the Chiarot deal from the start. Copp is fine and serves a purpose as a necessary placeholder because we're still at least awhile away from Kasper or whichever center we draft at #9 from being able to jump into the top 6.

Long term I would expect Copp to end up on the 3rd line on Rasmussen's wing.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Hated the Chiarot deal from the start. Copp is fine and serves a purpose as a necessary placeholder because we're still at least awhile away from Kasper or whichever center we draft at #9 from being able to jump into the top 6.

Long term I would expect Copp to end up on the 3rd line on Rasmussen's wing.
Exactly. Copp is an emergency fill-in 2C, but is really suited to be the backup C on a 3rd line playing wing. He had his third best point season last year in terms of PPG. He'll be a .6 to .65 ppg this season.

Didn't know much about Chariot coming in, but man he sucks. Not a good signing by SY so far on that one.

I believe Kasper will be the 2C by next season's end, but will start out on someone's wing.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Exactly. Copp is an emergency fill-in 2C, but is really suited to be the backup C on a 3rd line playing wing. He had his third best point season last year in terms of PPG. He'll be a .6 to .65 ppg this season.

Didn't know much about Chariot coming in, but man he sucks. Not a good signing by SY so far on that one.

I believe Kasper will be the 2C by next season's end, but will start out on someone's wing.
My theory is that Yzerman sat across the table from Chiarot and Chiarot gave him the Flynn Rider smoulder.

• Haha
Reactions: jkutswings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Chiarot feels like a useful player but in the ideal scenario. Not unlike Hronek, actually.

I don't know if it's coaching or bad fit with guys like Seider, but Chiarot never quite found his rhythm like he did in Montreal or even his short time in Florida. For anyone scratching their head at the signing, Chiarot was a high minutes guy on two playoff teams that were pretty strong. He had the most ice time of any Canadian during their miracle run. He paired with Ekblad and Weegar in the Florida playoffs.

He didn't get those assignments looking like he did this season, that's for sure.

I haven't given up on him entirely. He still provides a bit of sandpaper and if he's deployed to his strengths, I think he could have a bounce back season. He's proven enough in the past to get another season before I start wondering why he's still on the roster.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Chiarot feels like a useful player but in the ideal scenario. Not unlike Hronek, actually.

I don't know if it's coaching or bad fit with guys like Seider, but Chiarot never quite found his rhythm like he did in Montreal or even his short time in Florida. For anyone scratching their head at the signing, Chiarot was a high minutes guy on two playoff teams that were pretty strong. He had the most ice time of any Canadian during their miracle run. He paired with Ekblad and Weegar in the Florida playoffs.

He didn't get those assignments looking like he did this season, that's for sure.

I haven't given up on him entirely. He still provides a bit of sandpaper and if he's deployed to his strengths, I think he could have a bounce back season. He's proven enough in the past to get another season before I start wondering why he's still on the roster.
I'm hoping that he either clicks with Edvinsson once the kid is healthy, or Detroit lands one more decent defenseman and he pairs well with that guy. But please leave Seider and Walman together - we don't need a repeat of the first half of last season for Mo.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Chiarot COULD be a useful player if he would just play a simpler game.

Hit the bad guy in the corner. Take puck from bad guy. Give puck to his D partner or center when they are open.

The dude needs to stop his Erik Karlsson impersonation and he needs to stop lobbing passes to teammates in coverage.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I love how Detroit will need at least another decade to draft the right players, but a 5-year deal to Copp and a 4-year deal to Chiarot are somehow also the bottleneck.

If I could just harness the power of this new math, I'm sure I could magic beans enough money into my bank account that I could retire early.
just the pure thought of knowing you could have the magic beans money is the key. Not the actual beans. So, ipso-facto, you figured it out! Congrats!!

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Chiarot COULD be a useful player if he would just play a simpler game.

Hit the bad guy in the corner. Take puck from bad guy. Give puck to his D partner or center when they are open.

The dude needs to stop his Erik Karlsson impersonation and he needs to stop lobbing passes to teammates in coverage.

That's why he doesn't work with Seider. Same reason a guy like AA is anathema to good hockey. Seider works when he's got a D partner that will defer the offensive control stuff and pinching to him and handle the D end. Chiarot also wants to control the offensive stuff and not defer. So he's either forcing Seider to make a decision as to whether he jumps up or not or forcing Seider to defer by how he's playing so as to not abandon the defensive zone.

The Wings need Chiarot to have a defensively inclined partner who doesn't mind deferring and they need Seider to have the same.

Chiarot in Montreal was usually paired with Edmundson, right? He was that type of D that Chiarot gels with. Or if he played with Weber, Weber was so freakin set money wise and legacy wise by then that he would just fill whatever role.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
These are throw away seasons so I am fine with any short term signings. These aren't the Holland days with continual veteran plug signings blocking younger players. Yzerman is a good GM these players will move down the depth chart as the youth progresses and fall of the roster if they are not cutting it. I have always felt fine with the signings because we finally have a competent GM.

Filling the gap and being good locker room mentors is probably all Yzerman is looking for at the moment.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I think the problem is just pure communication and not keeping his cool. He is a big retaliator kinda guy.

You can tell that Seider got frustrated because he is technically the #1, but Chiarot was the vet with playoff experience, so Seider gave him the leeway. You can see the shift throughout the beginning of the season where Seider just said fu** it, "I'm the captain now" and started taking over more. You could see the frustration on Seider's face and it felt like a push-pull of one guy expecting something and the other not wanting to give-in to the expectation. That was around the time Chiarot got moved around to find a better linemate.

I think Chiarot was either expecting to be the #1 on a defense of misfits, he was told he was, or Seider deferred willingly. Either way, I think he could be good with Edvinsson if they had a few games/training camp together. Chiarot isn't terrible, he plays a gritty-ass game that gives our defense a real edge to it. Seider and Chiarot would have been nice if it worked out because both of them won't take sh** from the top lines around the league and stand their ground, but it just didn't have the chemistry needed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That's why he doesn't work with Seider. Same reason a guy like AA is anathema to good hockey. Seider works when he's got a D partner that will defer the offensive control stuff and pinching to him and handle the D end. Chiarot also wants to control the offensive stuff and not defer. So he's either forcing Seider to make a decision as to whether he jumps up or not or forcing Seider to defer by how he's playing so as to not abandon the defensive zone.

The Wings need Chiarot to have a defensively inclined partner who doesn't mind deferring and they need Seider to have the same.

Chiarot in Montreal was usually paired with Edmundson, right? He was that type of D that Chiarot gels with. Or if he played with Weber, Weber was so freakin set money wise and legacy wise by then that he would just fill whatever role.

He sucked next to Edmundson though. The problem with Chiarot is he tries playing like a puck rusher but doesn't have the skills or brain.
And when he played next to Weber they had Carey Price bailing them out.

And what you're describing in your first paragraph is what we pointed out on this forum from game one. It started out as, "Maybe they just need to develop some chemistry.", then after game 10, "They really need to split them up..." to game 40 where we were screaming, "Just put us out of our misery!"

What Chiarot needs is to be sent to another team that can tolerate his ineptitude.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
He sucked next to Edmundson though. The problem with Chiarot is he tries playing like a puck rusher but doesn't have the skills or brain.
And when he played next to Weber they had Carey Price bailing them out.

And what you're describing in your first paragraph is what we pointed out on this forum from game one. It started out as, "Maybe they just need to develop some chemistry.", then after game 10, "They really need to split them up..." to game 40 where we were screaming, "Just put us out of our misery!"

What Chiarot needs is to be sent to another team that can tolerate his ineptitude.
I'm sticking by my Flynn Rider theory. And it worked because Steve did not have a frying pan handy.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Chiarot goes into Tasmanian Devil mode and I get mad.

Then he knocks someone on their ass and I forgive him.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Hronek gets traded. @OgeeOgelthorpe breathes a sigh of relief. All is right in the galaxy.

But wait, what's this... a disturbance in the force...

lyd5md4v3q351.jpg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hronek gets traded. @OgeeOgelthorpe breathes a sigh of relief. All is right in the galaxy.

But wait, what's this... a disturbance in the force...

lyd5md4v3q351.jpg

I could never dislike Chiarot as much as I did 2019 to 2022 Hronek. And with Chiarot there's a light at the end of the tunnel in 3 seasons. Maybe less if we can load him in the trebuchet next to Zadina and a 2nd round pick.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
I could never dislike Chiarot as much as I did 2019 to 2022 Hronek. And with Chiarot there's a light at the end of the tunnel in 3 seasons. Maybe less if we can load him in the trebuchet next to Zadina and a 2nd round pick.

Chiarot, Zadina, and a 2nd doesn't have the same ring as Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

If you think Copp is the new Abby, you must've blocked out just how bad that Abdelkader deal was.

In a universe where Yzerman doesn't buy him out, Abby would still be on the team this last season making only $1.5 mill less than Copp. That's a guy who could not find a job in the NHL since 2020 and shouldn't have even been in the league that year.

Copp is a center who took the most faceoffs for the team by a country mile other than Larkin, put up about what's expected in points, was the top PK forward, can play on the PP, and provides solid defensive play.

Abby was a pretty one-dimensional winger whose success was largely dependent on his linemates. That contract was bad before the ink dried.

Reactions: jaster

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I think we can all agree that Yzerman has not leveraged trebuchets nearly enough.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3