Speculation: Almost a year later

Do you want a do-over on the Copp and Chiarot contracts?

• Yes, they are not good deals

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • No, I am fine with their production

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • MOD EDIT

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The Chiarot and Copp deals look like they were not good to say the least.
Me personally I much rather have the cap space. I believe using the space as a weapon alone has more value than these deals. We could acquire comparable talent IMO while acquiring prospects for helping teams in cap hell.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They should not be lumped together.
+1.

Chiarot has been remarkably consistent in how awful he's looked. To the point that either he finds a way to have a better season this year or he's getting benched on the regular.

But Copp? Andrew Copp has been fine. It's the idea of what some people wanted to assume he would be that was the problem. He will continue to be a defensively responsible middle of the lineup player, and he will continue to be slightly overpaid - because that's what you get in free agency. Not even a news story, let alone something to be upset by.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mix. Copp is fine even if he doesn't impress me much, but Chiarot had better turn things around and quick.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We are still in the rebuild. Chiarot was overpaid, but that is ok , he is not first line player, he wasn't used properly . Both guys improved physicality of this team and we need more of that not less.
With Bertuzzi and probably Ernie departure we need improve in physical aspect of the game

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Lol at the blatant trolling.

They should not be lumped together. Copp is fine and if we didn't have him we'd still have a huge need to go after someone like that.
Last summers big deals shouldn't be lumped together or it's "blatant trolling"? This word gets a new definition daily here. Care to explain how this is "trolling" or ?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Last summers big deals shouldn't be lumped together or it's "blatant trolling"? This word gets a new definition daily here. Care to explain how this is "trolling" or ?
They should not be lumped together because it does not make sense to only present the options of both deals being good or both deals being bad.

If Chiarot plays like last year then it's easily the worst contract signed under Yzerman. If Copp plays like last year then he's fine for what he is.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
They should not be lumped together because it does not make sense to only present the options of both deals being good or both deals being bad.

If Chiarot plays like last year then it's easily the worst contract signed under Yzerman. If Copp plays like last year then he's fine for what he is.
They are lumped as last summer's deals...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Neither deal is any great shakes but it's not like there was a move out there that we missed out on because of these deals. We needed NHL players to fill out the roster. We aren't going to tank, we had our chance a few years ago when we were the worst team in the league and got the 4OA pick.

Some teams are great at timing when they suck and then get the lotto luck. Toronto missed out on McDavid but still ended up with Matthews. That's not Detroit, we have been totally screwed by the lottery.

Maybe we will luck out with Boston's pick.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Like pretty much everyone, I'm fine with the Copp deal. Outside of the usual crowd that complain about everything, I don't see many having an issue with Copp.

Chiarot.........if there was a club option, sure I wouldn't pick it up. With that said, I haven't given up on him yet.

In fariness to Yzerman, when you are a team at the level of the Wings, you have to overpay for UFA's. So unless you solely want to build through the draft, you are going to have an overpriced UFA here and there.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
not happy with either. Copp is certainly not “good”. for his contract he’s bad. compared to the rest of the wings he was meh

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They are lumped as last summer's deals...
Then let me exaggerate to prove a point.

If this summer Detroit somehow manages to rob Edmonton blind in trading for Draisaitl, but also inexplicably overpays to trade for a lousy depth forward...

... Should those be lumped together since they both happened this summer? Or do they each deserve to be judged on their own?

Reactions: SoupNazi

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
We needed a Chariot. We didn’t need a Copp.

Chariot under performed. Copp was whatever.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We didn’t need a Copp.
Take Larkin and Copp out. Here's the list they could have possibly put at center:
* Rasmussen
* Fabbri
* Suter
* Veleno

That's an absolute disaster of a list. Ras is an encouraging player that belongs on the wing, and the rest is borderline waiver fodder, whether due to lack of health or lack of talent.

Copp will make a fantastic 3C once Kasper is really ready. And until then he holds the fort by an order of magnitude better than any other option after Larkin.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think Copp had a career year statistically, despite a lousy start. Neither contract breaks the bank so there's that.

Chiarot wasn't great to be sure but hopefully he will look better next year. I think the signings will look better if Ed and Kasper develop as we hope and move those guys down the depth chart. I think Copp will be a real solic 3C/occasional 2C.

Edit: @jkutswings posted as I was typing. I'm not being a parrot with my post re: Copp.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chiarot is just horrible. Looks OK for the first handful of games with any new team, then once he finds his comfort zone, he actually gets worse with every game. The coach needs to bash into him and force him to play a conservative stay at home game, or otherwise just flat out scratch him until he gets out of that comfort zone. Make him pay for every mistake like Fester does with the young kids.

Copp is a 3C, slotted above his abilities and overpaid. I would love him if he was making $2M less, but for what he's getting paid he's not bringing enough offense. I guess it's debatable if his contract really matters since this team appears to be going nowhere. Everyone hated on Helm (also overpaid by $2M) because of his contract, but I guess it's different when a player is from Michigan, lol. Copp's contract will be over by the time Misa (our 2025 #1 OA pick) is off of his ELC.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad