All's Fehr in Love and War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
All this talk about 50/50 being the magic number is BS. People just like it because it's a nice round number.

~50% sharing is the standard set among NA Professional Sports Leagues (NFL, NBA).

Why does the NHLPA think they're entitled to more?

The answer?
They're just really, really, really dumb.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Nobody is going to be in a hurry to get a deal done till December 1st.

I am betting either side doesn't really care about Oct/Nov.

The NHL won't want to miss the Winter Classic (or the prospect of a 40 to 50 game season). (That 50 game season, sky rocketed the NBA ratings).

The NHLPA will have the majority of it's members missing paychecks by then.

If it gets passed Jan 1st......Goodbye season. There would be no point to playing at all.

Last edited:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
We almost 4PM and they're STILL meeting.

I mean let's take the positives we can here. If they didn't have some sort of dialogue, they would have been out of there a long time ago.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
You guys think they're going to go into the evening again? They should wrap up at like midnight or something, THAT would show they are committed to the process. Hard to get anything accomplished when you keep meeting for 4-5 hours than blabbing to the media and breaking things off.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
We almost 4PM and they're STILL meeting.

I mean let's take the positives we can here. If they didn't have some sort of dialogue, they would have been out of there a long time ago.

That's what I am thinking. There is likely a lot more progress being made than they will care to admit to the media. They don't want anything hindering the process so it makes sense. Keep it at it, continue the meetings, constructive dialogue and eventually it WILL lead to something. They should keep going for another 5 hours than straight into tomorrow.

They should keep in mind that tonight was supposed to be opening night. They should get pissed off and than bring that attitude to the table.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Collective bargaining is exactly what it sounds like, bargaining. During the last lock-out, in return for agreeing to a salary cap the players received, in addition to their jobs backs, a somewhat inflated percentage of the pie at 57%. This time, the owners are asking for that number to be lowered and in exchange the players would get their jobs back, and that's it. If the players are going to agree to hand back that much money, they want something in exchange. I don't think asking about that something being the removal of the salary cap would be a good idea but they should be getting something.

Crows*

That's what I am thinking. There is likely a lot more progress being made than they will care to admit to the media. They don't want anything hindering the process so it makes sense. Keep it at it, continue the meetings, constructive dialogue and eventually it WILL lead to something. They should keep going for another 5 hours than straight into tomorrow.

They should keep in mind that tonight was supposed to be opening night. They should get pissed off and than bring that attitude to the table.

They are most likely making progress on smaller issues, the fact that Donald fehr isn't at the meetings today gives you an indication the key issues are not being talked about. Unless there is stuff going on behind the scenes.

I expect both sides will say " no talks planned" after today

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The NBPA decertified on November 15th and everyone thought the season was lost.

10 days later, they reached an agreement with the NBA. Things go real fast in labor negotiations when progress is made.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Right now I am pro-owner in the way the lockout is being negotiated, but I strongly disagree.

Stars are arguably the only players worth actually paying. Sid and Ovie are underpaid in relation to what they bring to the league. 20% of the cap is the bare minimum they should be able to get.

In fact if anything the stars should get paid more and the pluggers much less. But of course as they get paid more they drag everyone else up along with them, a la Tiger Woods in golf.

But seriously, right now you could get rid of the bottom six forwards and bottom 2 defencemen on every team and replace them with AHLers and I nobody would notice.

That's also why these monster contracts are ok in my books. Stars get paid, no matter what. It doesn't matter what market you are, if you want a star, you overpay.

I'm sorry... but what?

The third line of an NHL team is noticeably better than the first line of an AHL team. New Jerseys 4th line was on fire in the playoffs, and I would certainly take Antropov or Ponikarovsky on the Jets over over the players of the IceCaps based on current skill (and not potential).

Parise and Suter didn't deserve those monster contracts. There needs to be a better way to control the current salaries.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
They are most likely making progress on smaller issues, the fact that Donald fehr isn't at the meetings today gives you an indication the key issues are not being talked about. Unless there is stuff going on behind the scenes.

I expect both sides will say " no talks planned" after today

That's just it, these meetings are for show. The real stuff gets addressed behind the scenes.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Collective bargaining is exactly what it sounds like, bargaining. During the last lock-out, in return for agreeing to a salary cap the players received, in addition to their jobs backs, a somewhat inflated percentage of the pie at 57%. This time, the owners are asking for that number to be lowered and in exchange the players would get their jobs back, and that's it. If the players are going to agree to hand back that much money, they want something in exchange. I don't think asking about that something being the removal of the salary cap would be a good idea but they should be getting something.

Ok, how about they ask for something then? In exchange for a smaller %. So far they haven't done that, they've done exactly what they accuse the other side of doing - ask for things that are completely in their own interest. Asking for a banana instead of an orange, as you've said before.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
The process will go NOWHERE without one of the big 4 there. They are paid to figures this crap out. The players certainly aren't going to do it on their own...

Crows*

Fehr is there.

I read many tweets this morning stating it was only Steve fehr. Like this one.

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA NHLPA crew has arrived for 2nd straight day of bargaining. No Don Fehr, but Steve Fehr is here along with Brooks Orpik and Craig Adams

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
I read many tweets this morning stating it was only Steve fehr. Like this one.

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA NHLPA crew has arrived for 2nd straight day of bargaining. No Don Fehr, but Steve Fehr is here along with Brooks Orpik and Craig Adams

Thanks, did not see that one.

Crows*

Thanks, did not see that one.

Also this one

@RenLavoieRDS: NHL CBA talks to start soon. Mathieu Schneider and Steve Fehr arrived at the NHL office. Drug testing at the agenda this morning

Don ain't there

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
~50% sharing is the standard set among NA Professional Sports Leagues (NFL, NBA).

Why does the NHLPA think they're entitled to more?

The answer?
They're just really, really, really dumb.

50% is the standard, but 50% of what? is the NHL's definition of HRR the same as the NFL's or NBA's? Are we comparing apples to apples? From what I understand how the league's define revenues is slightly different. There's also the issue of hard cap versus soft cap.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Is there a possibility that the peons are working on the legal issues, while the big doggs are doing the real dealing somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad