Allen, Drewiske, Gilbert, Gonchar, Weaver

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
So what happened with Weaver?

Everybody loved him late last year. The love for Weaver was so deep and thorough that we dumped Gorges for a second rounder + Gilbert.

Weaver is fine for what he is.. A number 6-7 depth guy. The issue is taking a guy like Gilbert out of the line up and keeping Weaver in, all things considered.

Then trading for Gonchar and Allen, we've added two more #6-7 defensemen and now we have THREE of them in our top 6.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gonchar
Tinordi-Gilbert
Weaver

All things considered I feel like at the very least this is the top 6 we should be dressing, pairings don't have to be exactly like that. I could even argue Beaulieu should play over Gonchar.

If we had a competent coach who knew how to use Beaulieu that is.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Allen is horrible. He's made multiple gafs every single game so far. How the hell is he playing over Gilbert, Beaulieu, and Tinordi...

Hopefully the 2 losses to Buffalo show Therrien how stupid it is to play Allen-Weaver, but I won't get my hopes up.
Allen shouldn't be playing back to back games. The fact he's played against fast teams like the Rangers and Sabres worries me about how the coaching staff uses their defenseman.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
As much as I loathe Therrien and generally like the moves Bergevin has made, some of the blame has to lie with MB for acquiring so many old slow dmen.

As soon as Stewart intercepted the puck between Weaver and Allen I knew neither of them were catching up to him, although he wouldn't have scored that goal on Price...

habitue*

Yo guys I have a conspiracy theory that may explain the situation.

You know how Gainey's best trade was Craig Rivet for Gorges+Pacioretty?

You know how dmen are always overrated at the trade deadline because so many of them are injured throughout the year?

What if Bergevin is stocking up to accumulate picks at the deadline?

What's more important ? Piling up some questionable d-men for some unknown trades down the road ? Or winning as many games as possible and assure a Playoffs spot ?

Weaver or Allen or both should sit or be traded. Bring back Gilbert and Beaulieu or Tinordi in the line up.

habitue*

Allen shouldn't be playing back to back games. The fact he's played against fast teams like the Rangers and Sabres worries me about how the coaching staff uses their defenseman.

It is also showing that MT has not much confidence in Gilbert anymore.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
It is also showing that MT has not much confidence in Gilbert anymore.

Well the decision has sure worked out well for Therrien.

Losing with Allen in the lineup, increasing others ice time because Allen couldn't handle the Sabres.

Gilbert was fine. Better then Emelin, can handle the minutes better then Gonchar and Weaver, and clearly superior to Allen.

MT and JJD make this dcore worse by the game

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You are really comparing Rivet to those guys? Rivet, on top of being solid defensively, was coming off HIS best offensive season ever. While our D are not even close to that...Can't wait to see what those picks will look like. Beside, you don't believe Bergevin believes in his own "depth" d-man theory? He does and really believes we need those guys. Why would he suddenly trade them if we're still in the running for a playoff spot?

Frankly, as far as the D's are concerned, it's really bad pro scouting.

We won't get first rounders, but maybe second and third rounders.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Allen may be serviceable in small doses, perhaps more useful against more physical teams, at least the ones that feature less speed.

Based on what we've seen so far, he's not as mean as avertized, not mobile and not all that effective on his puck-clearing, which is supposed to be a major attribute for him. Then again, it's not as if the guy we traded for him was more effective. It's a pure gamble trade as far as this year is concerned -- anything Allen offers is a bonus.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We won't get first rounders, but maybe second and third rounders.

The 2 best candidates to get something could be Weaver and Gonchar. Weaver for his shot blocking ability. Gonchar for his possible PP performance. But then.....there's none really. You are not going to get a top pick for him if he doesn't start producing on the PP. But teams might like to see he's capable of racking some minutes. I would love to see what teams think of Gilbert....

habitue*

The 2 best candidates to get something could be Weaver and Gonchar. Weaver for his shot blocking ability. Gonchar for his possible PP performance. But then.....there's none really. You are not going to get a top pick for him if he doesn't start producing on the PP. But teams might like to see he's capable of racking some minutes. I would love to see what teams think of Gilbert....

So basically, we have 3 top two pairing d-men and 4 #7 d-men....

Bravo monsieur Bergevin !

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin got Gonchar and Allen to get rid of Bourque and Moen.

Weaver is here because he rocked down the stretch last year. You all loved him in the playoffs.

Gilbert ... the stats people all said he was the great hidden gem of the NHL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
To me it seems like Beaulieu and Tinordi are paying the price for our lack of talent on RD. They are not experienced enough yet to fill the gaps left by poor RDs. We don't have a 3th D. Emelin is at best a 4th. And then when you look at what happens in terms of ice time, Weaver is 5th. If there is a trade to be made, this is a lot more important to fill than the Desharnais situation. We won't be able to trade either of Gonchar, Allen away. Gilbert+picks+X we might get something.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Beaulieu is not ready to play Gilbert minutes

Don't see how he isn't but whatever.

I can only hope the veteran D can help the team down the road come playoff time. Being old they might need their ice time managed properly to not be dead come playoff time.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
We have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Patteryn, and Nygren whom all have solid potential to become NHLers, but for some reason management are not giving them the proper chance. Of course it's not a good idea to have 4 rookies on D, but a mix of veterans and rookies would have been ideal. Instead we have Weaver, Gilbert, Allen and Gonchar (who's been good so far at least), taking their spots.

I'm usually of the opinion to be patient with defensemen development, but in this case Tinordi and Beaulieu should be in the NHL now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think next season, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Patteryn have to go through waivers if they were to be sent down.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Weaver got only 7:49 TOI vs Colorado. Old and small is a double handicap hope he sits for awhile. Never understood the love for this guy.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Weaver got only 7:49 TOI vs Colorado. Old and small is a double handicap hope he sits for awhile. Never understood the love for this guy.

He played his heart out in the postseason, mostly by covering for Murray.

We should have had the mindset of him being a #7, an RD to replace Bouillon who at LD was absolutely nowhere near our depth chart. Instead he was slotted as a set #6.

If Beaulieu or Tinordi played RD they'd be a lock on the roster right now. Gilbert and Weaver were pick ups to fill our RD gaps until we found a better option. Right now the better option is Gonchar actually.

Allen is awful. Toss him on waivers, see who bites.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

He is not a bad dman and as mentioned was solid in last years postseason. As a number 7 guy I have no problem with him being on the team.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Gilbert ... the stats people all said he was the great hidden gem of the NHL.

Still is, but Therrien has... issues... with evaluating defensemen (see: Murray, Douglas).

To be fair, though, it's not like you need actual skill to throw the puck up the boards. His tactics are designed to fail equally regardless of the skill of his defense. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad