Allen, Drewiske, Gilbert, Gonchar, Weaver

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Habs have loaded up on veterans and now have by far the oldest D in the NHL. Personally I think Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi should be getting more NHL icetime to give them the opportunity to develop.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I like the depth and the fact it basically cost us nothing - actually less than nothing as we gained cap space going into next year instead of the years where we gave up picks for journeymen like Mara, Sopel etc...

But I also think we should have at least one of the kids up all the time rotating through the lineup to get the experience while we have the depth and would be great if MT curbed the double standard between the rookies and the vets a little

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our defense won't stay healthy all year, especially considering we have 4 guys over 34. If Beaulieu and Tinordi play well enough in Hamilton Bergevin can always dump one of our veteran defense near the trade deadline as teams are always looking to add veteran defensive depth.

I would've preferred to have Tinordi or Beaulieu in the lineup but neither impressed enough early in the year to keep a spot full time.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I like depth and veteran presence on defense.

If the kids were ready and played like they were they wouldn't be in the minors. They were given every chance to play in the NHL and did a poor job of it for the most part.

I have no problem with them spending more time developing their skill and confidence in the AHL and come back up when they're ready.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
We can't continue to run a 32+ average-age D corps for long. It'll burn out the entire group before the playoffs start, and then we'll be up **** creek without a paddle.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I like depth and veteran presence on defense.

If the kids were ready and played like they were they wouldn't be in the minors. They were given every chance to play in the NHL and did a poor job of it for the most part.

I have no problem with them spending more time developing their skill and confidence in the AHL and come back up when they're ready.

I don't know if Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi got a fair chance anyway we're winning what does it matter if a rookie makes some mistakes it's an investment in the future no?

Have to say I felt the same way last season when Bouillon and Murray played more than the above guys.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I like the depth, not sure if Therrien is smart enough to use it effectively.

Markov was clearly gassed in the playoffs last year, he needs to get spot rests and lowered ice time throughout the season.

I do wish they had kept one of Tinner or Beaulieu with the big club. They need to start grooming the next line of young defense.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Beaulieu and Tinordi have little impact when getting playing time this simply buys them some time.

Ppl complain about the avg age of the dmen, who cares all these guys are pending UFA expect for Gilbert.

Also Drewiske is in the AHL, who even mention his name...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It would have mattered a lot more how old our D is, if we didn't have near NHL-ready Ds with the Bulldogs, who can step in at any time.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Our defence is old and suck.

We should live an die with Tinordi AND Beaulieu. Give them the maximum experience they can get.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
I'm not prejudiced against "old", I am prejudiced against "worse".

If Therrien scratches Gilbert as expected, the Habs are going to face Bufallo with their 1st, 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, and 10th defensemen (more or less). He'll get away with it AGAIN because it's Buffalo, but that's not a very clever lineup decision.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Beaulieu and Tinordi have little impact when getting playing time this simply buys them some time.

Ppl complain about the avg age of the dmen, who cares all these guys are pending UFA expect for Gilbert.

Also Drewiske is in the AHL, who even mention his name...

The reason why people care is because they want to play Tinordi and Beaulieu over some of the old defensemen we have on our roster. Their contractual salaries wont change, but our production, the two rookies' experience, those will.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Habs have loaded up on veterans and now have by far the oldest D in the NHL. Personally I think Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi should be getting more NHL icetime to give them the opportunity to develop.

Thoughts?
I don't think the veterans are clearly _better_ than Beaulieu and Tinordi, but they aren't worse either. So I don't see any problem erring on the side of the known commodities.

And we have so many, there shouldn't be any issue of tiring anybody out. Plus Subban should play 30 mins anyway, and hence even less chance of the old guys getting tired.

It's better to have options than not have them. We got them all cheap/no cost and there is ample benefit available to having Beaulieu and Tinordi playing more in the minors again, this year. We can't do the same thing next year, of course, so we know there is an end in sight, it's not going to be something that drags out.

So far, I like the way things have panned out. But that's with all of Weaver, Gilbert, and Gonchar looking better than I really expected them to. I even thought Allen looked passable as a depth #6/7/8 guy. Ample time for those impressions to get overturned, however. But even if that happens, the beauty of it is/should be that we can just go back to the kids... and they won't have been sitting around in the pressbox in the meantime.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Thoughts?

Wouldn't playing them big minutes in the AHL provide them more development than a small role in the NHL or or in the press box?

That's what Bergevin keeps saying.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We can't continue to run a 32+ average-age D corps for long. It'll burn out the entire group before the playoffs start, and then we'll be up **** creek without a paddle.

Why would the entire group burn out? Wether Allen is playing 15-16 minutes or Beaulieu is, it doesn't add more wear on Markov-Subban-Emelin-Gilbert. If anything Allen can play more minutes as he plays on the PK and Beaulieu doesn't...so it would be saving the top 4 guys.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I seriously do not get why people keep blasting Gilbert. He's playing fine. I barely notice him at all, which is great for defensemen. I would have liked if he put up a few more points, but it's not like we have a great powerplay for him to score on.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Our defence is old and suck.

We should live an die with Tinordi AND Beaulieu. Give them the maximum experience they can get.

You need to watch more NHL games if you think the Habs defense sucks. You want to see suck, look at Edmonton or Phillie...or Boston...or Buffalo or Dallas...or Florida...or Colorado...etc

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Why would the entire group burn out? Wether Allen is playing 15-16 minutes or Beaulieu is, it doesn't add more wear on Markov-Subban-Emelin-Gilbert.
Markov needs nights off, too. He was out of gas by the end of the Rangers series. None of Markov, Weaver, or Gonchar should be playing 82 games, and Allen isn't viable as a platoon player for any of them.

And if Allen ever plays 15-16 minutes... oy. He may not be Murray-level bad - yet - but he's not better than BooBoo was, and that was bad enough. I don't want the rest of the team to have to pick up the slack from a garbage bottom pairing for the other 45 minutes.

If anything Allen can play more minutes as he plays on the PK and Beaulieu doesn't...so it would be saving the top 4 guys.
Beaulieu could be taught how to play the PK. That's a coaching decision that can be made at any time. But Therrien loooooves his veterans, so of course he won't.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
You need to watch more NHL games if you think the Habs defense sucks. You want to see suck, look at Edmonton or Phillie...or Boston...or Buffalo or Dallas...or Florida...or Colorado...etc

Price saved the defence alot of time.

Our defence sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad