Prospect Info: Allan McShane (June 1st 2020: Rights Expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
How good is this kid? Off to a good start with 13 points in 9 OHL games. Is this a product of playing on a good team or is he a legit grade B prospect who can surprise down the road?

i haven't seen his actual games but the skill is there. his skating isn't. don't know if it's improved since last season. I'm not holding my breath but they should really glue a skating coach to his hip.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i haven't seen his actual games but the skill is there. his skating isn't. don't know if it's improved since last season. I'm not holding my breath but they should really glue a skating coach to his hip.

I have not seen much sample size of him either and I have hear the skating knock on him here and there. Candidate for future 4C role? Maybe.

I'd like to hear about his game this year vs last year and if he has taken a step forward in the weaknesses to his game (skating). Anybody have any insider info?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have not seen much sample size of him either and I have hear the skating knock on him here and there. Candidate for future 4C role? Maybe.

I'd like to hear about his game this year vs last year and if he has taken a step forward in the weaknesses to his game (skating). Anybody have any insider info?

I don't see him as a 4th liner but for now he's not going anywhere until he improves his skating. I saw him once this year so far and while he looked a good bit better then last year, his skating still needs work. The skill is there but he needs to work on the physical tools and I don't think he works hard enough on the ice, needs to move his feet more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see him as a 4th liner but for now he's not going anywhere until he improves his skating. I saw him once this year so far and while he looked a good bit better then last year, his skating still needs work. The skill is there but he needs to work on the physical tools and I don't think he works hard enough on the ice, needs to move his feet more.

Interesting. Do they offer him a contract after this year if he has a 90-110 pts season? I'm assuming so right?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Mitch Brown put him 10 in his mid-season ranking of prospects within the organization, ahead of names like Jake Evans (having success in the AHL) and Cam Hillis (who is producing more than McShane at the same level). He explain his pick by saying he's the one amongst our C+/B- forward prospect with the better odds to become a top-6 player in the league. What are your thoughts on this aside of the usual (lack of foot speed and acceleration ,etc) ? I have never seen him play, but he's an intriguing prospects - and we might lose him for nothing because of the maximum players roster

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Mitch Brown put him 10 in his mid-season ranking of prospects within the organization, ahead of names like Jake Evans (having success in the AHL) and Cam Hillis (who is producing more than McShane at the same level). He explain his pick by saying he's the one amongst our C+/B- forward prospect with the better odds to become a top-6 player in the league. What are your thoughts on this aside of the usual (lack of foot speed and acceleration ,etc) ? I have never seen him play, but he's an intriguing prospects - and we might lose him for nothing because of the maximum players roster

Unless im missing something, I dont see any logicial reason to put Mcshane ahead of Hillis

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Unless im missing something, I dont see any logicial reason to put Mcshane ahead of Hillis
I hadn't been following the Gens quite as much this year but I did get to watch him yesterday. Skating has improved a bit. Extremely smart with the puck, very creative and surprisingly good forechecker. His line is completely dominant every time they're on the ice. I wasn't a fan of his game before but now I get it. How much of that is due to Tomasino I'm not sure but the two have great chemistry along with Tullio

He and Hillis are probably on the same level. Hillis has a good shot at being a 3rd line NHL player while McShane is less likely to make it in the NHL but if he does he will be a top 6 player.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

I agree with it. In my mind he's got everything but the skating. I'd probably still rank Hillis higher but they're close.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
His line is completely dominant every time they're on the ice. I wasn't a fan of his game before but now I get it. How much of that is due to Tomasino I'm not sure but the two have great chemistry along with Tullio

McShane has only been playing on the Tomasino-Tullio line for 2 games now. before that he was always with undrafted overager Kyle MacLean and 16 year old rookie Brett Harrison

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see McShane being a better pro then Hillis who imo plays the game the right way whereas McShane coasts too much and isn't a strong skater or quick which are major holes to fix.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-5-19_12-26-59.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Allan McShane

“An excellent playmaker and a pinpoint sniper that is especially dangerous on the special teams. His release is fantastic, he can fire one-timers with good velocity and uses his wrist shot to beat goalies cleanly from anywhere in the offensive zone. McShane’s puck skills are utilized in a variety of ways, he can dangle through multiple defenders and still has the presence in mind to find his teammate off to the side. He also shows off his high end scoring touch either on the break-away or from below the goal line with slick puck handling abilities. His vision and passing abilities are top notch as he’s able to complete timely passes. He utilizes both his forehand and backhand effectively to make crisp high-end plays. McShane’s skating is well below average, in particular, his speed is what holds him back. He displays quality edgework when handling the puck and moving in the offensive zone which helps him escape checks from time to time. He requires much more of an explosive first step and full extension through his skating stride in order to gain more speed.”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

we'll see how it plays out but I thought this was a bad call from both writers as I was never a big fan of McShane other then his shot. I wouldn't have threw a fit if we signed him but imo he was never a top 10 prospect for us or our best CHL forward as he just didn't seem to work hard in the games I saw.

It happens though, i've made more then my fair share of bad calls. Perezhogin, Kristo, etc.. heck I remember when I thought M-A Thinel was going to be a legit prospect or that Garon was going to be a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad