Prospect Info: Allan McShane (June 1st 2020: Rights Expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
it's nice to see McShane picking it up, he had realy slow start and now just above a PPG, if he could get faster and stronger, he could be something else and a steal!

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
it's nice to see McShane picking it up, he had realy slow start and now just above a PPG, if he could get faster and stronger, he could be something else and a steal!

I think he is playing 1st line center now and his production is increasing because of it. MsShane is in a group within our prospect pool where he could surprise or he could disappoint. Time will tell. Nice to see him doing better recently

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Please get him a skating coach. It would be such a waste of skill if he busts (which I'm afraid to say is more than likely).

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Please get him a skating coach. It would be such a waste of skill if he busts (which I'm afraid to say is more than likely).
He's a 4th rounder, of course he is more than likely to bust. At this point, he does have to work on skating, but it would take a small miracle for him to achieve the skating level he needs to have. But stranger things have happened and this is why there are 7 rounds at the draft. In any case, good to see him picking up his play, but his recent increase in production is probably closely related to playing with Serron Noel. I personally do not believe he will amount to much past junior hockey.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Hey all. Oshawa and Habs fan here. Oshawa will most likely go down in a sweep this series. They sold off a top Centre and D at the deadline and tweeked their line up by upgrading their overagers. Their best scoring one has now been suspended for 6 games so really no hope of even taking a game now. Anyways I am a McShane fan but he needs a lot of work on his first step. His skating is fine but that first step is very slow. His edges are great his IQ is fantastic. This is his second playoffs and getting to the conference finals when none of us expected it is great for his development. He is getting points but I have noticed he has really been looking over his shoulder and seems worried about getting hit. I’m hoping he gets some good off season training to get stronger and get that first step. Hands are gold shot is great. But I’d say he needs those other things to become a pro. We will see next year but expect him to be a 40 goal guy 80 to 90 points. Again it depends on if they go for it next year or try to bid on Memorial Cup for 2021 which is the rumour and that will not surround McShane with extreme talent and he will age out. Not often I get to have Habs draft picks on the Generals so just thought I’d throw some input in. Thx
Message received clear and loud. At 1909 by 1909. In hopes that McShane listening to his common sense and his conscience. Atm, he's a incomplete player. It's not too late to correct them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So since Brock and Mitch both had good things to say about McShane, a prospect I haven't seen a ton of but have not been overly impressed with due to skating, speed and not moving his feet enough, I opted to look a little closer at the numbers.

In the first half of the season up to 12-31, McShane had 24 pts in 30 games but in the 2nd half he jumped up to 45 pts in 32 games, going from a .8 ppg to a 1.41 which is a major leap forward. At a 1.41 ppg over the 62 games he played that would be 87 pts, much better then the 69 pts he had.

That said I was not impressed with the little I saw of him at the summer showcase, I'm sure he'll get invited to play for Team OHL against Russia and if he has a good enough season he should get invited to the winter camp hopefully. But until he improves his skating and speed, he's still got a lot of work to do before I would call him one of our top 10 prospects. The good news is the skill is there, now we just need to see if he can work on the skating. I'm sure he'll have a big year since he's playing for a contract before the June deadline, it will be interesting to see if he can be a 90+ pt getter this year.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
So since Brock and Mitch both had good things to say about McShane, a prospect I haven't seen a ton of but have not been overly impressed with due to skating, speed and not moving his feet enough, I opted to look a little closer at the numbers.

In the first half of the season up to 12-31, McShane had 24 pts in 30 games but in the 2nd half he jumped up to 45 pts in 32 games, going from a .8 ppg to a 1.41 which is a major leap forward. At a 1.41 ppg over the 62 games he played that would be 87 pts, much better then the 69 pts he had.

That said I was not impressed with the little I saw of him at the summer showcase, I'm sure he'll get invited to play for Team OHL against Russia and if he has a good enough season he should get invited to the winter camp hopefully. But until he improves his skating and speed, he's still got a lot of work to do before I would call him one of our top 10 prospects. The good news is the skill is there, now we just need to see if he can work on the skating. I'm sure he'll have a big year since he's playing for a contract before the June deadline, it will be interesting to see if he can be a 90+ pt getter this year.

I agree he has the skill, vision and playmaking abilities and he showed he has a great release. Offensively he's a dynamic player. Defensively he needs work, he's alright but can improve his awareness. His skating needs work that's for sure. He doesn't produce enough power in his stride, his strides are too short. He needs to bend his knees more and follow through to extend his stride. I think he'll also need to work on his lower body and build more strength in his legs. He does have really good edges though and it helps him in tight areas to escape and evade checks.

Reactions: Vachon23

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Add Mark Stone to that list. Still isn't all that good of a skater, just supremely smart.

He put up 100+ pts in the WHL in his draft+1 year though so McShane is pretty far from that.

All the people we're mentioning are elite in other aspects of the game, namely hockey IQ.

If you can't keep up with the play due to a skating deficiency then you need to be ahead of it. Easier said than done tho.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree he has the skill, vision and playmaking abilities and he showed he has a great release. Offensively he's a dynamic player. Defensively he needs work, he's alright but can improve his awareness. His skating needs work that's for sure. He doesn't produce enough power in his stride, his strides are too short. He needs to bend his knees more and follow through to extend his stride. I think he'll also need to work on his lower body and build more strength in his legs. He does have really good edges though and it helps him in tight areas to escape and evade checks.

he certainly needs a good bit of work improving lower body strength. I'm big on lower body strength since it's so key, guys like Crosby that are so hard to knock off the puck, for the group of undersized skilled forward prospects we have it's something most need a good bit of work on.

Reactions: canadiensnation

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
McShane isnt going to make the NHL unless he learns to move his feet. Hes not even that bad of a skater, he just glides and glides and glides and glides until the play is away from him, and this is in the OHL, imagine in the NHL. Desharnais and Hudon are two players that never learned to move their feet more, to always stay in movement and not glide. Thats why they sucked.

Theres very little thing I hate more than that type of player. You dont have to he a rocket on skate to succeed, you just have to follow the play enough. Unless obviously you have some elite quality like Stone, Kaliyev, Suzuki or Laine. Otherwise...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Doesn't seem to get talked about much, but he's off to a good start. 13 pts in 9 games.

Kid has sweet hands & solid hockey sense. Consistency & skating were always his issues.

I expect Habs sign him.

Reactions: Redux91

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Doesn't seem to get talked about much, but he's off to a good start. 13 pts in 9 games.

Kid has sweet hands & solid hockey sense. Consistency & skating were always his issues.

I expect Habs sign him.
Put him with a power skating coach for a couple of years and he may turn out to be a good player.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Tool wise he's got more going for him than Hillis and Fonstad so it's really a case of whether he can get his skating to a point where it's not a detriment to the rest of his game or not. He could be something of a late bloomer who's actually better as a pro than as a junior, there's been a few of those over the years.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How good is this kid? Off to a good start with 13 points in 9 OHL games. Is this a product of playing on a good team or is he a legit grade B prospect who can surprise down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad