GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
this stuff just confuses me, just not one who can wrap his head around the whole thing, if anyone can simplify it for me I`d be grateful
I`m probably making it more complicated than need be

If it doesn't confuse you, you aren't normal!:D

Agree on the others but I would gladly keep
McQuaid. Thanks.
Me too if Chiller was already protected but C.Miller has more of an upside/future IMO.

I would protect Chiller. I would not protect Spooner, his inability to take never mind win a faceoff makes him expendable IMO.

Now now, he did win a faceoff last night against the Kings.:laugh:
I didn't think of Spooner when I voted but I would've said to protect C.Miller and Spooner and not Schaller but didn't realize about Spoons.
BTW, I still think that there would be a team willing to pony up something for Spoons because of his ability to fly and carry the puck deep, especially during the PP.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i would choose the unlisted option of acquiring a good forward by using picks/prospects, and he would be the 7th forward protected. this is a good chance for sweeney to take advantage of a team with a surplus. as for D, colin miller for sure.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
i would choose the unlisted option of acquiring a good forward by using picks/prospects, and he would be the 7th forward protected. this is a good chance for sweeney to take advantage of a team with a surplus. as for D, colin miller for sure.

Vegas is legitimately going to be able to pull in a whole group of #4's and trade them off to teams at a premium in July.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Vatrano is exempted right?

I would assume colin miller is the other D.... But you never know , could be Mcquaid. Mcquaid is well liked

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It'll be C-Miller, and then Vegas will take K Miller. We'll end up keeping Quader anyway.

I don't know if I am 1000% convinced the Bruins protect Colin over Kevan suddenly.

Assuming Colin gets taken...

Chara Carlo
Krug McQuaid
KMiller McAvoy

And you are looking to add a LD for the post Chara years and THEN ship out one of Kevan/McQuaid.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I don't know if I am 1000% convinced the Bruins protect Colin over Kevan suddenly.

Assuming Colin gets taken...

Chara Carlo
Krug McQuaid
KMiller McAvoy

And you are looking to add a LD for the post Chara years and THEN ship out one of Kevan/McQuaid.

They are going to protect C.Miller, that's pretty safe to say.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Figure a nice bump is in order post playoff run as some opinions may have changed.

Including my own.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I think K. Miller raised his stock a bit, but I still think we only should be running a team that McQuaid and K. Miller aren't in our top 4.

I think the order of value to the Bruins currently probably goes as following:
K. Miller
C. Miller
A. McQuaid

Order of value for the future is:
C. Miller
K. Miller
A. McQuaid

Point being, unless involved in a trade agreed to be taken, McQuaid suits up next season for the Bruins no matter what.

I still protect C. Miller, knowing K. Miller is much more attractive than McQuaid at the moment, and we run the next season without K. Miller, but still, have McQuaid and C. Miller.

McQuaid and K. Miller are redundant and 5-6 million on 2 bottom pair defensemen combined isn't a good use of cap space.

This all may be moot, as Joe Morrow may have made a case for Vegas to snatch him up, less pressure, can be given ice time, he'll hit his prime after Vegas has been in the league for several years.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Figure a nice bump is in order post playoff run as some opinions may have changed.

Including my own.

Mine too. With the way K.Miller played to close the season, he's got value. Either you trade him for a good forward or you protect him from Vegas.

Right now, I would give a 1st and Hayes to Vegas for them taking Beleskey in the expansion draft.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I go with C. Miller and Schaller. Moore may be more valuable, but, at age 36, Vegas may shy away. Then Sweeney can decide to re-sign him. I'd try to trade for a RW (Virtanen?) and expose Schaller, Nash, Hayes and Beleskey.

I agree.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I think K. Miller raised his stock a bit, but I still think we only should be running a team that McQuaid and K. Miller aren't in our top 4.

I think the order of value to the Bruins currently probably goes as following:
K. Miller
C. Miller
A. McQuaid

Order of value for the future is:
C. Miller
K. Miller
A. McQuaid

Point being, unless involved in a trade agreed to be taken, McQuaid suits up next season for the Bruins no matter what.

I still protect C. Miller, knowing K. Miller is much more attractive than McQuaid at the moment, and we run the next season without K. Miller, but still, have McQuaid and C. Miller.

McQuaid and K. Miller are redundant and 5-6 million on 2 bottom pair defensemen combined isn't a good use of cap space.

This all may be moot, as Joe Morrow may have made a case for Vegas to snatch him up, less pressure, can be given ice time, he'll hit his prime after Vegas has been in the league for several years.

I'd say it's not necessarily too bad - McQuaid's contract runs out just as Carlo and McAvoy require new deals, which is nice timing. K. Miller's deal expires the year after too.

A top 6 D corps of Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, McQuaid and K. Miller would cost roughly $16m next year, and the league average seems to hover around the $20-22m mark, so it's decent value.

It's a tough decision, no doubt about it.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I would be blown away if C. Miller is protected. He was the 6th D all year, and by several minutes. The 5 D in front of him and now Macavoy as well were all far more trusted. C. Miller does have the most upside, but he is furthest from it and is least likely to reach his potential. He could keep getting better the next several years and end up a solid top 4 D, but he isn't on the verge of it right now. I know people love his skating and shot, but he needs to get more of his game rounded out. He is supposed to be helping out the O, but still just managed to tie Killer in points.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Add a D-man that isn't C. Miller + 1 forward to the protected list (Who?)

KMiller & any forward but Hayes/Beleskey.

I like Colin Miller, but I'd rather lose him than KMiller at this point. KMiller, for the amount of **** he's gotten around here, myself included, really took a step this year, and is the exact type of player this team needs on the bottom pairing of their defense.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Without McQuaid Bruins were 1-4 vs Ottawa in playoffs, just saying. I'm keeping McQuaid.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
There's some freakish stat somewhere, the Bruins are absolutely DREADFUL in the playoffs without McQuaid.

love McQuaid and what he has done for the team over the years. Stand up guy. has one of the best death stares in the league when someone oversteps their bounds.

will most likely lose one of McQuaid, K Miller or C Miller in the expansion draft. McQuaid and K Miller are similar skill sets. C Miller is a different skill set so he should be the one protected leaving one of McQuaid or K Miller left.

Next Year:

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
C Miller

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Without McQuaid Bruins were 1-4 vs Ottawa in playoffs, just saying. I'm keeping McQuaid.

Not saying it's his fault at all... but how many times does McQuaid get hurt? Considering at age 30, he's made it past 70 games a season only twice in his career... him being injured at or during the playoffs is almost a 50/50 chance. Just statistically speaking of course.

Like Quaider, but his style of play and his luck haven't always worked in our or his favor.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Seems like we're one of the few teams that has a protection spot to waste (at F).

I'd like to see them find a team that has talent they can't protect, and then trade for that guy.

This.

Take advantage of the expansion draft to acquire some forward help.

Could help with the Bruins issue with protecting their D as well.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seems like we're one of the few teams that has a protection spot to waste (at F).

I'd like to see them find a team that has talent they can't protect, and then trade for that guy.

Makes all the sense in the world but comes back to whether the GM is creative and aggressive enough to get a deal done. Donny just seems too passive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad