All-time franchise teams

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
how many years did Cleghorn played for the Canadiens? 4 years or so?

I don't think that's enough to put him ahead of Mantha or Johnson.

Also , you can't leave Butch Bouchard.

Cleghorn didn't spend a large amount of time with any team, so it's hard to place him. If he is associated with Montreal then he makes their defence. As far as Bouchard, I would probably put Laperriere ahead of him.

My Detroit forwards:

Lindsay - Abel - G Howe
Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov
Delvecchio - Ullman - S Howe
Lewis - Barry - Aurie

Have Datsyuk and Zetterberg eclipsed any of these men? I'm not sure. You can move Abel to LW if you want to include another center, but I love keeping the Production Line together.

Detroit had the best RW ever, but is severely lacking in them afterwards, though Feds and i think Syd Howe have played there.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been among the best defensive forwards in the NHL for years now, while Datsyuk has also been among the leading scorers a few times. Zetterberg hasn't been as strong in the regular season, but has been a great playoff performer. When you take the strength of eras into account I don't see any reason to keep them off the team.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
BOSTON BRUINS

Bucyk - Esposito - Neely
Dumart - Schmidt - Clapper
Cashman - Oates - Middleton
Marcotte - Cowley - O'Reilly
(Mackell - Labine)

Orr - Bourque
Shore - Boivin
Park - Flaman
(Egan)

Thompson
Brimsek
(Cheevers)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Cleghorn didn't spend a large amount of time with any team, so it's hard to place him. If he is associated with Montreal then he makes their defence. As far as Bouchard, I would probably put Laperriere ahead of him.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been among the best defensive forwards in the NHL for years now, while Datsyuk has also been among the leading scorers a few times. Zetterberg hasn't been as strong in the regular season, but has been a great playoff performer. When you take the strength of eras into account I don't see any reason to keep them off the team.

Better than Marty Barry? Quite possibly better than his wingers, but which one goes on the right side?

Last edited:

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Ray Bourque was so good for 94 regular season games and 33 playoff games that he outplayed almost all of the other defensemen that Colorado/Quebec ever had?

Not Quebec. This is Colorado only. That's Paul Stastny.

Prophecy35

Dec 9, 2009
I've already done every NHL franchise indepth for this, but I'll post my versions of the teams already posted first. These are not meant to be "regular" NHL teams. These are all-star teams based on impact on the franchise. If I have left out anyone you deem to be worthy of inclusion, please don't hesitate to mention them. I am not perfect :P

All-time Colorado team

Tanguay – Sakic – Forsberg
Hejduk – Kamensky – Tanguay
Lemieux – Stastny – Young
Drury - Duchene - Deadmarsh

Blake – Foote
Ozolinsh – Bourque
Skoula - Liles

Roy
Aebischer

You just have to include the Nords.

Goulet-Sakic-Tardif
Stastny-Stastny-Cloutier
Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
Kamensky-Hunter-Deadmarsh

Extras could be: Bernier, Drury, Marian Stastny, Paul Stastny, Lemieux

Blake-Foote
Ozolinsh-Gusarov
Tremblay-Rochefort
Extras could be: Leschyshyn, Marois, Liles (I really can't include Bourque here)

Roy
Bouchard/Brodeur

All-time Anaheim team

Kariya – Rucchin – Selanne
Perry – MacDonald – Getzlaf
Sykora – Oates – Federov
Kunitz - Ryan - Lupul

Niedermayer – Pronger
Olausson – Tverdovsky
Beauchemin - Vishnovsky

Giguere
Hebert

Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne
Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Kunitz-McDonald-Sykora
Leclerc-Cullen-McInnis (if you want a "higher" scoring 4th line)
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer (more deserving)

Niedermayer-Salei
Pronger-Beauchemin
Tverdovsky-Carney
Havelid-Dollas (optional 4th pairing)

Giguere
Hebert
Hiller

This has been done before in other threads but is always fun.

Here is NJ:

Patrik Elias - Kirk Muller - John MacLean
Stephane Richer - Doug Gilmour - Claude Lemieux
Zach Parise - Bobby Holik - Pat Verbeek
Jay Pandolfo - John Madden - Jamie Langenbrunner

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalski
Ken Daneyko - Scott Niedermayer
Paul Martin - Bruce Driver

Martin Brodeur
Sean Burke

Richer-Muller-MacLean
Elias-Arnott-Sykora
Parise-Gomez-Langenbrunner
Madden-Holik-Lemieux

Extras could be: McKay, Brylin, Verbeek, Sundstrom

Stevens-Rafalski
Niedermayer-Daneyko
Driver-Martin
Fetisov-Kasatonov (optional 4th pairing)

Brodeur
Terreri

If you want this to be even remotely competitive, you need to restrict to post expansion players only. Or else Montreal is something absurd like this:

Dickie Moore - Jean Beliveau - Bernard Geoffrion
Toe Blake - Henri Richard - Maurice Richard
Aurele Joliat - Howie Morenz - Guy Lafleur
Bob Gainey - Guy Carbonneau - Claude Provost

Doug Harvey - Butch Bouchard
Larry Robinson - Serge Savard
Guy Lapointe - Sylvio Mantha

Jacques Plante
Ken Dryden

I didn't even have room for Elmer Lach, Cournoyer, Reardon, or the Montral versions of Chelios and Roy. :laugh:

Blake-Lach-Richard
Joliat-Morenz-Lalonde
Moore-Beliveau-Geoffrion
Shutt-Richard-LaFleur
Gainey-Carbonneau-Provost (insanely stacked shut-down line)

Extras could be: Cournoyer, Lemaire

Bouchard-Harvey
Savard-Robinson
Lapointe-Laperriere

Extras could be: Reardon, Cleghorn, Johnson (I could take either of them over Laperriere)

Plante
Roy
Dryden

Anyway, Detroit

Lindsay Yzerman Howe
Howe Fedorov Ullman
Zetterberg Datsyuk Ullman
Shanahan Delvecchio Aurie

Lidstrom Kelly
Goodfellow Stewart
Pronovost Quackenbush

Sawchuk

Detroit has too many centres.

Lindsay-Abel-G.Howe
Shanahan-Yzerman-Fedorov
Delvecchio-Ullman-S.Howe
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom (Holmstrom being the "weak link" here. I could throw in Larionov, Kozlov, Ogrodnick, or Redmond in his place)
or
Lewis-Barry-Aurie

Kelly-Pronovost
Lidstrom-Konstantinov
Stewart-Goodfellow

Extras could be: Quackenbush (who I could easily sub in for Konstantinov), and I'm not sure who else.

Rangers

Patrick Messier Bathgate
Vickers Ratelle Gilbert
Hadfield Boucher Cook
Graves Tkaczuk Hextall

Howell Leetch
Park Gadsby
(Ching) Johnson Coulter

Worsley
Giacomin

Really not a great team for an O6 franchise, easy to see why it took them 50+ years to win a Cup again.

Bun Cook-Boucher-Bill Cook
Prentice-Messier-Bathgate
Hadfield-Ratelle-Gilbert
Dillon-Colville-Hextall

Extras could be: Tkaczuk, Graves, Patrick, Henry

Leetch-Howell
Park-Gadsby
Johnson-Heller

Extras could be: Neilson, Coulter

Giacomin
Rayner
Richter

The goalies here were tough. Worsley, Kerr, and Vanbiesbrouck are all viable options.

BOSTON BRUINS

Bucyk - Esposito - Neely
(Mackell - Labine)

Orr - Bourque
Shore - Boivin
Park - Flaman
(Egan)

Thompson
Brimsek
(Cheevers)

Cashman-Esposito-Hodge
Bucyk-Oates-Neely
Dumart-Schmidt-Bauer
O'Reilly-Cowley-Middleton

Extras could be: McNab, Marcotte

Orr-Shore
Bourque-Park
Clapper-Crawford

Extras could be: Hitchman, Quackenbush, Flaman, Boivin, Dallas Smith, Awrey...and the list goes on. Insane defensive depth. Clapper should be on D, since, if I am correct, most of his success was there.

Brimsek
Thompson
Cheevers

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
from the all-time canucks vs. all-time flames thread:

here's my best shot at the two lineups. i tried to make lines that would actually work, and put together players who have chemistry.

e.g., of course the first impulse is to put kesler between naslund and bertuzzi, but they wouldn't work well with a puck carrying, shooting center. malhotra may not have the offensive upside, but he would ably handle the defensive duties that morrison used to take on during the WCE days.

sedin ('11) sedin ('11) linden ('94)*
mogilny ('96) larionov ('92) bure ('94)
naslund ('03) malhotra ('10, pre-eye injury obviously) bertuzzi ('03)
gelinas ('97) kesler ('11) burrows ('10, pre shoulder injury)

edler ('11) ehrhoff ('11)
reinhart ('90) salo ('07)
ohlund ('00, pre eye-injury) mitchell ('06)

luongo ('06)
mclean ('94)

alternates: jovanovski ('03), diduck ('94), smyl ('82), ronning ('91), either adams or courtnall (both '94), brodeur ('82)

* i was very tempted to put a young cam neely on the top line with the sedins. sure, he hardly played when he was on the canucks, but he did have the talent, seeing as how he scored 35 goals as soon as he left. even pre-prime, he is exactly the right player for that line. forechecks, hard on the boards, can get a shot of really quickly, can play in front of the net, gets the other team off their game. like a big, super burrows. hard to go wrong with '94 linden though, even if i have my doubts that he has the hockey sense necessary to play with hank and dan.

mullen ('89) gilmour ('89) iginla ('92)
loob ('88) nieuwendyk ('88) makarov ('90)
roberts ('92) nilsson ('81) mcdonald ('83)
tonelli ('86, came over at the trade deadline) otto ('89) fleury ('91)

macinnis ('89) macoun ('89)
suter ('88) mccrimmon ('88)
reinhart ('85) regehr ('04)

kiprusoff ('04)
vernon ('89)

spares: ramage ('89), phaneuf ('08), peplinski ('86), conroy ('02), bullard ('88), lemelin ('84)

** not that this team needs another scoring RW, but brett hull was on a 50 goal pace in his rookie season (tied with nieuwendyk) before crisp stabled his butt to the bench, then traded him to the blues.

even just a couple of years ago, you'd say calgary's all-time team sweeps vancouver's. at least now with the emergence of the sedins, kesler, edler, and others, it's a series.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just for fun/personal preference:

Ron Francis - Mario Lemieux - Jaromir Jagr
Evgeni Malkin - Sidney Crosby - Mark Recchi
Rick Tocchet - Jordan Staal - Kevin Stevens
Alexei Kovalev - Robert Lang - Martin Straka
Petr Nedved - Bryan Trottier - Joey Mullen
Ryan Malone - Jan Hrdina - Aleksey Morozov
(Jay Caufield)

Paul Coffey - Larry Murphy
Kris Letang - Sergei Gonchar
Ulf Samuelsson - Darius Kasparitis
Brooks Orpik - Sergei Zubov
Janne Laukkanen - Jiri Slegr

Tom Barrasso
Marc-Andre Fleury
Johan Hedberg

Badger Bob Johnson, Scotty Bowman, Herb Brooks, Ivan Hlinka
Craig Patrick & Ray Shero
Mike Lange & Bob Errey
Ron Burkle

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot
BOSTON BRUINS

Bucyk - Esposito - Neely
(MacKell - Labine)

Orr - Bourque
Shore - Boivin
Park - Flaman
(Egan)

Thompson
Brimsek
(Cheevers)

Cashman-Esposito-Hodge
Bucyk-Oates-Neely
Dumart-Schmidt-Bauer
O'Reilly-Cowley-Middleton

Extras could be: McNab, Marcotte

Orr-Shore
Bourque-Park
Clapper-Crawford

Extras could be: Hitchman, Quackenbush, Flaman, Boivin, Dallas Smith, Awrey...and the list goes on. Insane defensive depth. Clapper should be on D, since, if I am correct, most of his success was there.

Brimsek
Thompson
Cheevers

Dit Clapper was on the famous "Dynamite Line" with Cooney Weiland and Dutch Gainor. He was a good defensman but made his name scoring goals. He had 41 in 44 games in 29-30 season.

Hodge had a very good career, albeit streaky at times and started to fade by the time he hit 30. There is NO WAY he is the first line RWer over Cam Neely.

O'Reilly is the 4th line RWer....there is no one else in the entire history of the Bruins the epitomizes being a Bruin than him. He was never a LWer.

I know you wanted to keep the Espo/Cashman/Hodge line together but Johnny Bucyk was the best ever LWer for the Bruins.

Donnie Marcotte was one of the most underrated Bruins ever. Quite possibly one of the top 2 or 3 as best two-way forward. He is 3rd among Bruins left wingers in career goals, assists and points. He was a +203. Is 3rd alltime, tied with Espo, in SH goals....all the while playing mostly on the checking line.

Crawford's best years were during the WW2 years. He is not in the HoF....both Boivin and Flaman are.

Quakenbush's is probably someone I should've included but somehow I equate him more with Detroit.

Labine was the O'Reilly of his day, (or O'Reilly was the next Labine, take your pick)...a tough RWer who also led the team in scoring in 54-55. He's also infamous as the guy who knocked out Rocket Richard with a nasty check in the 52 playoffs. Richard said that Labine was one of the three guys he hated playing against.

MacKell won 2 Stanley Cups with Toronto and as a Bruin led the entire NHL in scoring in the 57-58 playoffs. He was an excellent and tough two-way C/LW player. Made first team all-star in 1953 and played in 4 other all-star games. He was generally one of the top 2 players on the Bruins in both scoring and PIMs for nearly his entire tenure with the team.

Pat Egan was a tough but also offensively skilled defenseman who's nickname was "Boxcar". He twice led the league in PIMs averaged about 8 goals and 24 pts a year with the Bruins. The guy was a BRUIN.

Bobby Bauer is my toughest omission....hard to put him in among my RWers, even if he is in the HoF. I really wish I could've seen him play.

I think you're right about Lionel Hitchman....I don't know how I completely overlooked him....and his jersey number is retired and hanging in the Garden...DOH!

Last edited:

Prophecy35

Dec 9, 2009
Dit Clapper was on the famous "Dynamite Line" with Cooney Weiland and Dutch Gainor. He was a good defensman but made his name scoring goals. He had 41 in 44 games in 29-30 season.

Not so sure I can agree with you here.
Two 2nd Team All-Star Selections as a RW vs. Three 1st's and a Second as a D-Man. Seems like a pretty significant difference. Also, I would use 29-30, as an exception, instead of the "rule". Kind of like the war years, or 92-93, wasn't the 29-30 season a big year for scoring? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, did he not play most of his career as a defenceman anyway?

Hodge had a very good career, albeit streaky at times and started to fade by the time he hit 30. There is NO WAY he is the first line RWer over Cam Neely.

He was there only to keep together that line. I agree that he isn't "first line material", however, I would rather have Neely with Oates. Seems better that way. Also, with these teams (especially 0-6 teams) the line order is insignificant. Most lines, instead of being 1, 2, 3, are more like 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. The only other suitable RW for that line would be Middleton.

O'Reilly is the 4th line RWer....there is no one else in the entire history of the Bruins the epitomizes being a Bruin than him. He was never a LWer.

I try not to base on position, and in this case, I put him as a LW, which isn't a huge deal. IMO, he is a better choice there than other LWs (like Marcotte) who could slot in there.

I know you wanted to keep the Espo/Cashman/Hodge line together but Johnny Bucyk was the best ever LWer for the Bruins.

Like I said, line order is insignificant here. Well, basically insignificant.

Donnie Marcotte was one of the most underrated Bruins ever. Quite possibly one of the top 2 or 3 as best two-way forward. He is 3rd among Bruins left wingers in career goals, assists and points. He was a +203. Is 3rd alltime, tied with Espo, in SH goals....all the while playing mostly on the checking line.

I agree with you there, and I respect Marcotte, which is why it was hard to keep him off. However, who would I get rid of for him? Once O'Reilly gets moved over to RW, I have to drop a RW, so I guess Hodge would be the one to go. How about this?

Bucyk-Esposito-Middleton
Cashman-Oates-Neely
Dumart-Schmidt-Bauer
Marcotte-Cowley-O'Reilly

Crawford's best years were during the WW2 years. He is not in the HoF....both Boivin and Flaman are.

Boivin is a weak induction IMO. Crawford is probably not the best fit there, but I would rather take him out and put in Hitchman.

Quakenbush's is probably someone I should've included but somehow I equate him more with Detroit.

Same here

Labine was the O'Reilly of his day, (or O'Reilly was the next Labine, take your pick)...a tough RWer who also led the team in scoring in 54-55. He's also infamous as the guy who knocked out Rocket Richard with a nasty check in the 52 playoffs. Richard said that Labine was one of the three guys he hated playing against.
But, is Labine a better choice than any of the guys on the team, or even substitutes like Hodge, or McNab. I would have them over him. Also, what about Westfall? Was he a RW or D for most of his time in Boston?

MacKell won 2 Stanley Cups with Toronto and as a Bruin led the entire NHL in scoring in the 57-58 playoffs. He was an excellent and tough two-way C/LW player. Made first team all-star in 1953 and played in 4 other all-star games. He was generally one of the top 2 players on the Bruins in both scoring and PIMs for nearly his entire tenure with the team.

Eh, not convinced here. Don't know why, but I'm just not.

Pat Egan was a tough but also offensively skilled defenseman who's nickname was "Boxcar". He twice led the league in PIMs averaged about 8 goals and 24 pts a year with the Bruins. The guy was a BRUIN.

Others are much more deserving than him on Defence. As you know, the defensive depth is utterly insane.

Bobby Bauer is my toughest omission....hard to put him in among my RWers, even if he is in the HoF. I really wish I could've seen him play.

I think it's a shame to disclude him. Put Clapper on D, and Bauer gets a spot.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Bun Cook-Boucher-Bill Cook
Prentice-Messier-Bathgate
Hadfield-Ratelle-Gilbert
Dillon-Colville-Hextall

Extras could be: Tkaczuk, Graves, Patrick, Henry

Leetch-Howell
Park-Gadsby
Johnson-Heller

Extras could be: Neilson, Coulter

Giacomin
Rayner
Richter

The goalies here were tough. Worsley, Kerr, and Vanbiesbrouck are all viable options.

The funny thing is I did that team last night whilst juggling various playoff games on TV and on stream and in that process I totally overlooked the fact there were two Cooks.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Better than Marty Barry? Quite possibly better than his wingers, but which one goes on the right side?

I would put Datsyuk ahead of Barry. Higher peak and more years with Detroit too. I would put Zetterberg ahead of Lewis as well, as a very strong defensive forward in similar offensive standing, but against stronger competition. Aurie is particularly valuable as a RW. On my team I forgot Abel while trying to juggle all the centres so I may end up dropping Zetterberg anyway though, especially as I wasn't really going for chemistry.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
St. Louis Blues

Brendan Shanahan-Adam Oates-Brett Hull
Keith Tkachuk-Bernie Federko-Joe Mullen
Garry Unger-Doug Gilmour-Wayne Babych
Pavol Demitra-Red Berenson-Scott Young

I know there are a few guys out of position, but it became difficult to go solely off position. The Blues have a ton of great centers, but very little on the wings beyond the top two lines. I couldn't leave Unger or Berenson off, period.

Chris Pronger-Al MacInnis
Bob Plager-Barclay Plager
Rob Ramage-Murray Baron

This is where it gets fun. The top four are obvious. Then it gets a little interesting. Still, that's a pretty damn good defense. Imagine if they hadn't lost Scott Stevens as compensation. Although, he likely would have taken MacInnis' spot, because there's no way St. Louis deals for MacInnis if they have Stevens.

Curtis Joseph
Mike Liut

I would have Joseph starting over Liut. Liut may have been a First Team All-Star in St. Louis, but Joseph was better than he was for longer. It's not Joseph's fault he played in St. Louis during a time when Roy and Belfour had a stranglehold on the Vezina and the top two all-star spots. From 1992-1994, Joseph was as good as they came.

Overall, a surprisingly good team in the regard that they aren't just good, they're GREAT. That team has to be in the top ten in all-time teams. It shows us why St. Louis made the playoffs for 25 straight seasons.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Philadelphia Flyers

Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Reggie Leach
John Leclair-Eric Lindros-Mark Recchi
Brian Propp-Rick Macleish-Tim Kerr
Simon Gagne-Rod Brind'Amour-Gary Dornhoefer

Mark Howe-Eric Desjardins
Ed Van Impe-Moose Dupont
Chris Therien-J. Watson

Bernie Parent
Ron Hextall

I don't think any other franchise has a list of forwards as perfectly split up amongst the three positions as the Flyers do. They have a few very good centers that weren't really great enough to justify putting them on the wing ahead of those wingers. Dave Poulin, Pelle Eklund, Ron Sutter, a few others. Mike Richards is not yet past Brind'Amour or Macleish, at least to me. The defense was more difficult. I wasn't going to use Chris Pronger, because he has only been there for 2 years. And I don't know which of Jimmy or Joe Watson deserves it more, so I just put J. Watson. :laugh: One thing I know is that #1 would be in goal. And if Pelle Lindbergh's Porsche had not met a brick wall, he have even beat out Hextall (hypothetical).

That's an outstanding team. I challenge you to find me a forward group deeper than that one that does not reside in Montreal, Detroit, and maybe Boston. Okay, and maybe Pittsburgh too.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
San Jose Sharks

Patrick Marleau-Joe Thornton-Owen Nolan
Marco Sturm-Vincent Damphousse-Teemu Selanne
Jeff Freisen-Igor Larionov-Jonathan Cheechoo
Ray Whitney-Mike Ricci-Jeff Odgers

Scott Hannan-Dan Boyle
Mike Rathje-Sandis Ozolinsh
Marcus Ragnarsson-Bryan Marchment

Evgeni Nabokov
Arturs Irbe

I had to leave off Dany Heatley because he hasn't meant nearly as much to this franchise and the fans as these players did. Heatley will have to be on this team sooner or later, provided he does play at his level, but now is not the time. I know Larionov only played 93 games in San Jose, but honestly, you cannot possibly be a Sharks fan and leave him off. He gave us credibility, and he meant so much to this franchise, leading the Sharks to two incredible playoff upsets in his two years here. Still gets a standing ovation every time he shows up at the arena. Whitney is on there because he still is the only player in franchise history to score a series-winning OT goal. Like Larionov, Odgers is a must if you truly are a Sharks fan. Ironically, Marleau actually centered both Selanne (2001-03) and Damphousse (2004), but it is on Joe Thornton's wing (he plays either side depending on who else is on the line) that he truly has become an elite player in all three zones. Damphousse was a great player here, but he also was the first prominent player to talk about San Jose as a great hockey town. Overall, a good team, but hardly great beyond the top two lines. Thornton is, by impact and pure dominance, easily the greatest player in Sharks history, but Marleau rightfully is considered the #1 Shark due to him being here for so damn long.

Last edited:

BamBamCam*

Philadelphia Flyers

Ed Van Impe-Moose Dupont
Chris Therien-J. Watson

Bernie Parent
Ron Hextall

I don't think any other franchise has a list of forwards as perfectly split up amongst the three positions as the Flyers do. They have a few very good centers that weren't really great enough to justify putting them on the wing ahead of those wingers. Dave Poulin, Pelle Eklund, Ron Sutter, a few others. Mike Richards is not yet past Brind'Amour or Macleish, at least to me. The defense was more difficult. I wasn't going to use Chris Pronger, because he has only been there for 2 years. And I don't know which of Jimmy or Joe Watson deserves it more, so I just put J. Watson. :laugh: One thing I know is that #1 would be in goal. And if Pelle Lindbergh's Porsche had not met a brick wall, he have even beat out Hextall (hypothetical).

That's an outstanding team. I challenge you to find me a forward group deeper than that one that does not reside in Montreal, Detroit, and maybe Boston. Okay, and maybe Pittsburgh too.

Good list except I would have Rick Tocchet over Gary Dornhoefer.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Every original six team has a deeper group of forwards.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Leafs

Jackson Apps Conacher
F. Mahovlich Sittler Vaive
Watson Kennedy A. Bailey
Duff Keon McDonald

Clancy Horton
Salming Stanley
Baun Horner

Broda
Bower

This one is a tough one, too, especially if you try to stay loyal to forward positions like I did. A lot of solid centers, but it gets thin on the wing. Also 3rd D pairing asks for some tough choices there, could have gone with about 6-7 different guys all with their warts.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Based on what happened in Ottawa:

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Arvedson-Yashin-Hossa
Schaefer-Bonk-Mceachern
Kelly-Fisher-Havlat

Redden-Chara
Phillips-Mezaros
York-Rachunek

Lalime
Emery

Hurricane Hugo

Jun 11, 2010
South Carolina
I did two versions of the Ducks. The first only shows players who were/are in their prime with the Ducks. The second shows the best players throughout their careers.

Paul Kariya - Ryan Getzlaf - Teemu Selanne
Bobby Ryan - Steve Rucchin - Corey Perry
Chris Kunitz - Andy McDonald - Petr Sykora
Mike LecLerc - Samuel Pahlsson - Joffery Lupul

Scott Niedermayer - Chris Pronger
Oleg Tverdovsky - Lubomir Visnovsky
Ruslan Salei - Francois Beauchemin

Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Jonas Hiller

Paul Kariya - Adam Oates - Teemu Selanne
Bobby Ryan - Sergei Fedorov - Jarri Kurri
Chris Kunitz - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Dustin Penner - Andy McDonald - Todd Bertuzzi

Lubomir Visnovsky - James Wisniewiski
Francois Beauchemin - Oleg Tverdovsky

Jean-Sebasteien Giguere
Jonas Hiller

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I did two versions of the Ducks. The first only shows players who were/are in their prime with the Ducks. The second shows the best players throughout their careers.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Jonas Hiller

Paul Kariya - Adam Oates - Teemu Selanne
Bobby Ryan - Sergei Fedorov - Jarri Kurri
Chris Kunitz - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Dustin Penner - Andy McDonald - Todd Bertuzzi

Lubomir Visnovsky - James Wisniewiski
Francois Beauchemin - Oleg Tverdovsky

Jean-Sebasteien Giguere
Jonas Hiller

nice roster. but no carney?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If you want this to be even remotely competitive, you need to restrict to post expansion players only. Or else Montreal is something absurd like this:

Dickie Moore - Jean Beliveau - Bernard Geoffrion
Toe Blake - Henri Richard - Maurice Richard
Aurele Joliat - Howie Morenz - Guy Lafleur
Bob Gainey - Guy Carbonneau - Claude Provost

Doug Harvey - Butch Bouchard
Larry Robinson - Serge Savard
Guy Lapointe - Sylvio Mantha

Jacques Plante
Ken Dryden

I didn't even have room for Elmer Lach, Cournoyer, Reardon, or the Montral versions of Chelios and Roy. :laugh:

Roy should be ahead of both Plante and Dryden

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Philadelphia Flyers

Ed Van Impe-Moose Dupont
Chris Therien-J. Watson

Bernie Parent
Ron Hextall

Is there no way Pronger and Timmonen sneak into the bottom pairing?

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
url

Toronto Maple Leafs All-Time Roster

Forwards

Frank Mahovlich - Syl Apps - Charlie Conacher
Busher Jackson - Mats Sundin - Rick Vaive
Ted Kennedy - Dave Keon - Lanny McDonald
Wendel Clark - Darryl Sittler - George Armstrong

Extra forward: Doug Gilmour.

Honourable Mention: Norm Ullman, Ron Ellis, Bob Pulford.

Defencemen

Borje Salming - King Clancy
Tim Horton - Allen Stanley
Tomas Kaberle - Bill Barilko

Extra defenceman: Ian Turnbull.

Honourable mention: Bob Baun, Red Horner.

Goaltenders

Turk Broda
Johnny Bower

Extra goaltender: Harry Lumley.

Honourable mention: Ed Belfour.​

Note: I attempted to limit the roster to a standard twenty three man one despite some difficult decisions. The Leafs historical strength at centre, where all of Apps, Gilmour, Sundin, Keon, Sittler, and Kennedy plied their trade (including the great Red Kelly who did not make my team), made it difficult to fit all greats into the line-up and necessitated a positional change in one instance (Kennedy's) in order to make the roster palatable. For the honourable mentions I attempted to limit the close-calls to three for forwards, two for defencemen, and one for goaltenders.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Dallas Stars

Jere Lehtinen - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Brenden Morrow - Joe Nieuwendyk - Jamie Langenbrunner
Pat Verbeek - Guy Carbonneau - Mike Keane
Loui Eriksson - Brad Richards - Steve Ott
Mike Ribeiro - Grant Marshall

Sergei Zubov - Derian Hatcher
Darryl Sydor - Richard Matvichuk
Stephane Robidas - Craig Ludwig
Philippe Boucher

Ed Belfour
Marty Turco​

I'm torn about the goaltenders because Marty owns most of the the counting records; essentially Belfour's teams won a lot and Marty's teams won a lot less.

I only recently bumped Grant Marshall out of our requiste scrappy 12th forward slot to make way for Steve Ott. James Neal would push Otter into the healthy scratch section and Marshall off the team if I'm just making a list of the 14 best forwards and not a pseudo-functional team.

The Ducks

Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Jonas Hiller
No Keith Carney? I implore you to re-assess the '03 Cup run (the first time in team history the Ducks weren't a laughingstock) and the role he played on that team. Certainly enough to displace Ruslan Salei, if not earn a spot in your top four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad