All-time Draft # 5b - The Minor League

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The River Rats are pleased to select a rugged, fiery defender and a two-time WCHL 1st team all-star

Red Dutton

Mervyn "Red" Dutton was educated at St. John's College in Winnipeg but left school to join Princess Patricia's Light Infantry, enlisting in 1915. In April 1917 he took a shrapnel blast to the right leg that was so bad that doctors considered amputation. They delayed, and he recovered full use of his leg. Dutton was discharged from the service in 1919 and upon returning home to Winnipeg he strengthened his leg by playing in seven local hockey leagues during the 1919-20 season.

In 1920, after a failed attempt to enter business as a subcontractor, he turned to professional hockey and accepted $2,500 to play for Calgary of the Big Four Hockey League. He went on to become a two-time Western Canada Hockey League first team all-star and played in the NHL's Ace Bailey Benefit Game in 1934. He once said of himself, "I wasn't a good hockey player, but I was a good competitor."

The River Rats are pleased to select a two-time Memorial Cup champion and an NHL 1st team all-star in 85

John Ogrodnick

An offensively gifted player, Ogrodnick made his NHL debut with Detroit during the 1979-80 season. After beginning the season with the team's American Hockey League affiliate in Adirondack, Ogrodnick joined the Wings in January and went to score eight goals while adding 24 assists for 32 points.

Ogrodnick played seven and a half seasons with Detroit, where he was an NHL First Team All-Star in 1985, after he finished fourth in league goal scoring with 55 behind only future Hall of Famers Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri and Mike Bossy and went on to represent the Red Wings at the NHL All-Star Game on five separate occasions (1981, 1982, 1984, 1985 and 1986).

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
ty spitfire

Lennart Svedberg,D

Svedberg is regarded to be the most talented Swedish defenseman ever. Everybody called him "Lill-Strimma". He was an exceptionally creative defenseman who was a joy to watch. His unpredictable moves and effortless skating made him extremely hard to stop. He was a Paul Coffey type of player in regards of skating and offensive play. He didn't score many goals, but he set up a lot and created havoc in the offensive zone. Tarasov was fascinated by Lill-Strimma's spontaneous rushes and his creativeness

Lill-Strimma represented Sweden 125 times, scoring 16 goals. He was named to the World Championship All-Star team three years in a row (1968-70). In 1970 he was voted as the best defenseman in the World Championships

On July 29,1972 hockey fans received the shocking message that Lennart "Lill-Strimma" Svedberg had died in a car accident, only 28 years old and at the peak of his hockey career.

Those who saw him play will never forget his high speed rushes over the ice that captured fans everywhere. He was a bohemian player and didn't follow any given patterns. It was this unique trademark that made him stand out among the players.

He was a "Michelangelo" on ice.

Chris Osgood,G

Chris is a steady butterfly goalie with strong leadership abilities.He waits patiently for shooters to make the first move and relies heavily relies on his quickness and sharp reflexes to compensate for his small frame. He has strong positioning which allows him to play a controled game. Doesn't let outside distractions faze him. Through most of his career Osgood continued to be among the NHL's busiest and winningest netminders.He has played 600 career games with a record of 325-183-71 GAA-2.45, 43 Shut Outs .907% SP NHL Second All-Star Team (1996) William M. Jennings Trophy (1996) (shared with Mike Vernon) Played in NHL All-Star Game (1996, 1997, 1998) 2 Stanley Cups.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
With Behn Wilson gone, I`ll take another tough Philly defenceman... Andre "Moose" Dupont

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'll take "Bullet" Joe Simpson,

I have the next two days off so I will be drafting a lot quicker. If the draft isn't over by the time I go to bed tomorrow I will send GBC a list. Sorry guys.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hedberg said:
Victoria selects Ryan Walter
Fantastic pick. I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Ryan Walter at a church event in B.C. a few years ago. A class act on the ice throughout his career, and off the ice in his retirement. He can play a solid second line centre role, or fill in nicely on the third or fourth line.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Notre Dame Hounds are pleased to round out their defence corps by selecting one of the stars from the game's early years, and a charter member of the HHOF:

D Eddie Gerard​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad