Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
The Toronto Marlies are proud to select:

Jack Darragh,RW

Jack was one of those old-time players who grew up, played and died in the same city - his home town of Ottawa, Ontario. He was a rarity in that he played right wing but was a left-hand shot. While not an unusual strategy today, in the early days of the century, playing on the "wrong wing" was pioneering. He was a superb skater, a very clever stickhandler and had a good backhand shot. As a result, Darragh was a prolific scorer.Had there been conn smyth trophies awarded back in his playing days he would had won ot twice (1920 and second in 1921)

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Detroit takes D Leo Reise Jr.

- 2 time 2nd team all-star
- 2 time Cup winner
- played in 4 all-star games

"An all-star defenseman who performed capably in the shadows of such Hall of Famers as (Black) Jack Stewart, Red Kelly, Bill Quackenbush and Marcel Pronovost, Leo Reise played a quietly effective game and owned a reputation for scoring clutch goals, especially during the Stanley Cup playoffs. Without Reise’s sniping abilities, the Wings wouldn’t have reached the finals in 1949 or 1950.

His third-period shorthanded goal in Game 7 of the 1949 semifinal against Montreal snapped a 1-1 tie and propelled the Wings to a 3-1 victory. Reise gathered the puck in his own zone and battled along the boards past all five Montreal skaters before driving a 40-foot shot past Canadiens goalie Bill Durnan.

"Leo Reise scored that goal that broke the tie because he absolutely refused to give up," Wings coach Tommy Ivan said. "He lost the puck twice and got it back because he kept fighting for it."

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The River Rats are pleased to select the runner-up for the Calder in 61, at RW

Bob Nevin

Right-winger Bob Nevin played over 1,100 NHL games for four different NHL teams. He was a fine playmaker and goals scorer who could also check and lead by example on the ice.

Nevin scored 21 goals as a rookie in 1960-61 and finished runner-up in the Calder trophy voting to teammate Dave Keon. The hard working forward played solid two-way hockey for the Leafs playing with Red Kelly and Frank Mahovlich and helped them win the Stanley Cup in 1962 and 1963. In February 1964 he was part of the package assembled to acquire star forward Andy Bathgate from the New York Rangers.

Nevin played over seven years in New York and topped the 20-goal mark five times. He helped the Blueshirts become one of the top outfits in the NHL and registered 107 points in 1970-71. A respected leader on the ice and in the dressing room, Nevin began a six-year run as team captain in 1965-66.

The River Rats are pleased to select a player who led his team in goals and points, and finished 3rd in all-star voting at right wing in both 2002-03 and 2003-04

Marian Hossa

In the same season he appeared briefly with the Senators but his next season was delayed by a serious knee injury. In the end, he played 60 games and spent most of his time doing defensive work on the checking line. But when he began scoring goals and collecting points, he seemed to be making up for lost time. He played only two-thirds of the season, but in the voting for the Calder Trophy he came in second after Chris Drury. His solid performance also earned him selection on the NHL All-Rookie Team and once the Senators were eliminated from the post season, he made his second appearance at the World Championships.

Hossa gave the game everything he had. It was becoming clear that Ottawa was offering him the opportunity to be a major player on their team. They started comparing him with Jaromir Jagr, who at the same age conducted himself in a similar manner

In 1999-00 Hossa tied for the team league in goals with 29 and over the next three seasons topped the 30-goal mark twice and 40-goal mark once. On the internation stage, Hossa went on to represent his homeland for the third time at 2001 World Championships and for the first time at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

One of the elite players in the NHL, Hossa went on to finish fifth in leauge scoring in 2003-04 with a career 82 points (36-46-82). Although his NHL season came to an abrupt end in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, Hossa would suit up for Team Slovakia at the 2004 World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Spitfire11 said:
LL takes new Cup champion D Glen Wesley
I was going to nab Wesley when I picked Macoun. But I thought "it's Game 7 tonight, Wesley's on Carolina, I'm cheering for Edmonton, and I know I'll hear it from Murphy 2 if I pick Wesley." After Carolina beat Edmonton, I had to scratch Wesley off my consideration list. It just wouldn't be right.

BTW, there's a little village about 15 from where I live named Macoun. (The village is pronounced Mac-oon, rhymes with racoon). So I couldn't pass up a player who shares a name with a community I've been to many times, even though the pronunciation is different.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Thing about Wesley is I thought he was invisible. I guess thats a good thing in that he didn't make any mistakes but really you don't even notice him out there at all.

Quietly efficient is how I'd describe Wesley.

Nice snag with Bob Nevin, BM67. He was about my last hope for any semblance of a checking line and seeing as none of my forwards know that end of the ice I really needed a guy like him.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I must had slept for 12 hrs lol

dont get a sunburn *ouch*

ty GBC Ty Spitfire

Glen Wesley,D was extremely reliable in the defensive zone.An underrated defenceman for the entire length of his long 17 year career.He plays a discreetly tough game, nice skater, has a hard point shot, tough to get around and uses his body well in the defensive zone. In Glens prime he had a savoire faire for playmaking. Shows great leadership among his fellow rearguards. Plays against top talent and usually holds his own. In his prime years he put up good offensive numbers. He was a key defensive component for boston andcarolina as both teams went to the finals once each. He was the key defenceman as he lead carolina to stanley cup appearence in 02 and again he filled a top role for toronto in there playoff run of 03'.Most recently he was a pilar on defence for the 05-06 Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You made my decision easy, Murphy2. I was debating between Robert and another RW for this pick. The Notre Dame Hounds are pleased to select a player who was twice chosen as a first-team all-star ahead of Gordie Howe:

RW Ken Wharram​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Notre Dame Hounds are pleased to select a forward with more than 300 career goals who also played a responsible defensive game:

LW Dennis Hull​

In addition to playing left wing on our two-way line, Hull will be our MD (Media Darling) and a guy who will keep his teammates well entertained.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Murphy2 has asked me to pick for him while he is at a drag racing event in Edmonton. (Drag racing. How cool is that?) With their pick, the Oil Kings select a former Selke winner:

C Steve Kasper​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad