All-time Draft # 5b - The Minor League

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just thought for fun's sake (and to get some discussion going) I'd post some thoughts on last night's activities. Hope nobody takes offence to my takes. Enjoy.

Thoughts…

*Murphy2: Blaine Stoughton had several seasons in which he ranked among the top offensive right wings in the league. I had Craig Simpson as the second-best left winger in the draft, behind Bun Cook. I think he would have been the 1990s answer to Glenn Anderson if not for his back injury. 56-goal scorer, 1990 playoff scoring leader and a solid agitator. There aren’t many defensive defencemen in this draft better than Bill Hajt. Jason Smith went a little early for my liking (OK, a lot early) but hopefully he’ll be the captain of a Stanley Cup champion after tonight.
*Spitfire11: Dave Poulin is, bar none, the best defensive centre available in the minor league draft. Combined outstanding poise, anticipation and instincts to become one of the best defensive forwards in the post-Gainey era. Decent offensive instincts, too. Only injuries held him back. This team will be tough to play against with Poulin, Draper and Holik. Those guys have some rings, too. Harry Watson is one of the top wingers available. I didn’t have Gustafson that high, but he’s a good player for this draft.
*Hedberg: I think we know all we need to know about Henderson. Bergman was one of my top-rated available defencemen. Gary “Suitcase†Smith is as good of a goalie that there is in the draft. Those make up nicely for the selection of Ray Ferraro.
*BM67: There isn’t much to choose between the goalies available in this draft. But any time you can nab an HHOF goalie in the seventh round, you’re doing well. Hap Holmes was one of the best pre-Original 6 goaltenders. Jean Pronovost was a highly skilled offensive forward who had some excellent seasons. Not many four-time all-star game participants available. Albany police will be asking for a raise knowing that Derek Sanderson is in town.
*raleh: They could have renamed the Lady Byng Award the Clint Smith Award and nobody would have complained. Embodied the traits of skill and sportsmanship. Not much info on raleh’s other selections, but it’s not the first time that raleh’s gone off the board. (They can’t be any worse than Martin Straka, though. Sorry, raleh).
*jtuzzi: I’m shocked five-time Cup champion Charlie Huddy slipped this far. He was one of my top-five defencemen for this draft. Very underrated, he was a defensive backbone for the Oilers, and he could chip in offensively, too. Jt, from one diehard Canuck fan to another, how can you pass up Captain Kirk to pick JS Giguere? Team toughness won’t be a problem with Dave Samenko.
*Leaf Lander: If the Leafs couldn’t make the playoffs with Kabarle and McCabe as their top defensive pairing, how can the Marlies go far? Bob Davidson is a nice pickup, a little early for my liking, but he’s a steady, reliable defensive forward with an offensive upside. Not many of those available for the checking line. Spezza’s selection appears to be as much for what he will do in the future as what he is now.
*reckoning: reckoning may be the only GM in minor draft history to get the steal of the draft in the first round. (Bernie Nichols). We won’t be saying the same thing about his 11th round pick. I’m a big Carney fan, he was stellar for Anaheim in 2003, but he’s nowhere near 94th in the farm draft good. Mackell’s a solid addition. Not many former first-team all-stars out there. Dallas Smith played his junior hockey where I live, so that gives him instant credibility in my eyes. Strong defensive defenceman.

Last edited:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Jason Smith was a definite sentimental pick. I had to have him and didn't want to risk him getting scooped. As I mentioned earlier I had a list put together at work and was scrambling to put another one together last night. I did alright except I knew I was missing someone and that was Bill Hajt. It was worth the quick trip to work to get the list or I'd have forgotten him.

Everytime Spitfire made a pick I went huh? Are they not gone already?, Holik, Draper, Poulin and Redmond are all guys I completely overlooked, assuming they were picked already. He's got some nice options for a checking line now where as I have none..... :help:

BM-67 scooped guys I wanted in Jean Pronovost and Marc Tardiff.

jtuzzi grabbed Charlie Huddy who I assumed was gone already. That pick also made me go huh?

Reckoning made a nice pick with Tony McKegney.

GBC grabbed a very nice goaltender with Kirk McLean and Barry Pederson, another two guys I overlooked.

I feel bad that Raleh didn't take pick last night but I think you recovered with some nice picks. At least I think you did as I know very little of any of them, got some reading to do on those guys.

I could hear L.L scream after I picked Palmateer......... :yo:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Murphy2 said:
Jason Smith was a definite sentimental pick. I had to have him and didn't want to risk him getting scooped. As I mentioned earlier I had a list put together at work and was scrambling to put another one together last night. I did alright except I knew I was missing someone and that was Bill Hajt. It was worth the quick trip to work to get the list or I'd have forgotten him.

Everytime Spitfire made a pick I went huh? Are they not gone already?, Holik, Draper, Poulin and Redmond are all guys I completely overlooked, assuming they were picked already. He's got some nice options for a checking line now where as I have none..... :help:

BM-67 scooped guys I wanted in Jean Pronovost and Marc Tardiff.

jtuzzi grabbed Charlie Huddy who I assumed was gone already. That pick also made me go huh?

Reckoning made a nice pick with Tony McKegney.

GBC grabbed a very nice goaltender with Kirk McLean and Barry Pederson, another two guys I overlooked.

I feel bad that Raleh didn't take pick last night but I think you recovered with some nice picks. At least I think you did as I know very little of any of them, got some reading to do on those guys.

I could hear L.L scream after I picked Palmateer......... :yo:
Actually, Spitfire nabbed Redmond for me. I couldn't pass him up. He was well on his way to a fine career before the injury bug kicked in.

I had Pederson ranked third for offensive centres (behind Nichols and Broten) and fifth for centres overall (behind Unger and Poulin). I had McLean ranked #1 for goalies, but there's a slight twinge of bias behind that one.

Hajt is just solid, solid, solid. One of the top defensive defencemen available. I knew the blue-line depth was really lacking in this draft, that's why I scooped up Smith, James Patrick and Reinhart early. Now with Macoun rounding out my top four, I can chip away at my forwards.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Redmond was a very good pick, I would have taken him in round 4 if I didn't already have 2 RW by then. Everyone made some nice ones though :handclap:

Kind of suprising but there's still a lot of good RW left. I thought they ran out quickly in the main draft but in terms of quality for the minor league draft there's still some bargains out there.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Spitfire11 said:
Redmond was a very good pick, I would have taken him in round 4 if I didn't already have 2 RW by then. Everyone made some nice ones though :handclap:

Kind of suprising but there's still a lot of good RW left. I thought they ran out quickly in the main draft but in terms of quality for the minor league draft there's still some bargains out there.
I think RW's a funny position. There isn't a lot of depth at the RW position among the all-time greats (there are still more players listed as LWs than RWs on the HHOF website). There aren't a lot of RWs who fit into that top-two line description for an all-time draft. But the overall depth at RW is better than LW, and there are a lot of RWs from the last 30 years who fit the minor draft bill, especially for the top two lines/13th forward. (Not as much for a checking or crash-and-bang line. That's why I wanted Russ Courtnall so bad, because he can play on a checking line).

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Tony McKegney isn't mine, so I guess I have two picks here:
Another personal fav (just like Straka) Eric Brewer
And........God I don't want to do this...........

Jose Theodore.....

I can't believe I did that!

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
GodBless Cananda

McCabe and Kaberle were not the problems in toronto this year. They are underated and compliment one another.Leetch said it himself Bryan Mccabe is the best defensive partner that he ever played with. You be wrong If your suggesting that kaberle and mccabe were an inadequate first pairing unit and thus a huge part of the reason why toronto didnt make the playoffs.The reason Toronto didnt make the playoffswas because of bad/slow FA signings by Fergusson.The continued insertation of domi belak and belfour into the nighlty lineup was a huge part of a losing formula for the 05/06 season.

Caber and Kabs can play at a high level for 30 minutes a game for an entire season.
Kabs - better skater better passer better hockey sense
Mccabe better shot stronger more physical along the boards

Courtnall played in toronto I know alot about him :) but ill respect you reasons for selecting him. He has great speed and he is offensive minded. He had the type of speed that would allow him to play in todays game.

I'm picking some players a little early for areason Ill tell u later lol

I as a fan am just picking players that I like. My role in the league is expansive since im getting peices of info for all the players so in a sense all the players you guys are drafting are my players too.

Murphy2 I was just surprised taht you took a goalie whos ' career ran into the ballard wall. I was shocked. Me and spitfire were chatting on msn when u picked him.I am sure you can imagine what I said to spitfire once seeing your surprise selection :rant: :biglaugh:

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Leaf Lander said:
GodBless Cananda

McCabe and Kabewrle were not the problems in toronto this year. They are underated and compliment one another.Leetch said it himself Bryan mccabe is the best defensive partner that he everplayed with.

Courtnall played in toronto I knwo alot about him :) but ill respect you reasons for selecting him. He has great speed and he is offensive minded. He had the type of speed that would allow him to play in todays game.

Im picking some players a little early for areason Ill tell u later lol

I as a fan am just picking players that I like. My role in the league is expansive since im getting peices of info for all the players so in a sense all the players you guys are drafting are my players too.

Murphy2 I was just surprised taht you took a goalie whos ' career ran into the ballard wall. I was shocked. Me and spitfire were chatting on msn when u picked him.I am sure you can imagine what I said to spitfire once seeing your surprise selection :rant: :biglaugh:
Sorry, can you explain how "the players I am drafting are your players too?" The guys I pick are based on my own analysis and insight. Yeah, sometimes I pick a guy earlier than most of you might have had him ranked, but usually there's a reason for it. (Versatility, winning mentality, playoff performance, etc.) Witness Theo Fleury and Kevin Stevens. As for the minor league draft, I went top-heavy on defencemen early because I believed they were in short supply (an opinion that is further validated as the draft progresses), and pieced together my forwards using the leftovers.

I'm not knocking you for selecting McCabe and Kabarle, and I'd never knock you personally. You, Spit and BM do way too much work for this. I know you hold your Leafs high. (Especially Kabarle). I just think there are better defencemen out there, some of whom played in Toronto.

But I am looking forward to the reason you selected McCabe and Kabarle, other than your unflickering love for the Leafs. (I have a hunch, but I'll PM it to you. Wouldn't want it to go league-wide).

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
God Bless Canada said:
Sorry, can you explain how "the players I am drafting are your players too?" The guys I pick are based on my own analysis and insight. Yeah, sometimes I pick a guy earlier than most of you might have had him ranked, but usually there's a reason for it. (Versatility, winning mentality, playoff performance, etc.) Witness Theo Fleury and Kevin Stevens. As for the minor league draft, I went top-heavy on defencemen early because I believed they were in short supply (an opinion that is further validated as the draft progresses), and pieced together my forwards using the leftovers.

I'm not knocking you for selecting McCabe and Kabarle, and I'd never knock you personally. You, Spit and BM do way too much work for this. I know you hold your Leafs high. (Especially Kabarle). I just think there are better defencemen out there, some of whom played in Toronto.

But I am looking forward to the reason you selected McCabe and Kabarle, other than your unflickering love for the Leafs. (I have a hunch, but I'll PM it to you. Wouldn't want it to go league-wide).

I read up on all the players. I take the info that best describes there game and then I quote it. Most of the 400 mini bios are selected by me.

I plan on doing this for every player.Many tiems once a player is drafted I have already read about him or researched him for the draft.With the data entry thsi draft is a job so having fun picking has ment much to me.Once I have entered player info for all players Maybe then i can sit down and draw up lusts. I always draft from the top of my head.

kaberle hasn'y peaked yet I wonder if mccabe can raise his game more. His mental side undermines the other very developed parts of his game.If he could put it all together maybe maybe he could become a great defenceman
I truely beleive that together the yare a great tandum and because they are leafs they get dismissed because of blind loyalty by the masses in leafs nation. However I do not live in ontario:)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
clutch C - Chris Drury
D - Jeff Brown as a PP QB.

I really have run dry of old names so that is why most of my team is made up of younger players that I have seen.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Dirty raleh. I was hoping to land Primeau as my third/fourth line power/defensive centre. Likely wouldn't have been our captain, but he would have been Notre Dame's equivalent to Joel Otto.

As a consolation prize, the Notre Dame Hounds select a strapping left winger with a 50-goal season and two Stanley Cups on his resume:

LW Adam Graves​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Spitfire11 said:
Unfortunately Hedberg snagged him in the main draft

Dirty hedberg. First Edmonton loses. Then I lose out on Primeau. Then I find out Graves is gone. Cruddy night, boys.

As a replacement, the Trail Smoke Eaters select an undersized but gritty, skilled and strong defensive centre for our checking line:

C Dave Gagner​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad