All Time Best Players - Lists by their contemporaries

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
On 4 March 1905, the Montreal Star published a publicly-voted All-Star team (readers of the paper sent in ballots; reportedly thousands of submissions from across the country (and the US!) were received. The team was was limited to players from the CAHL and FAHL (so no professionals), and was:

Goal: Moran, Quebec HC (CAHL)
Point: Pulford, Ottawa HC (FAHL)
Cover: Moore, Ottawa HC (FAHL)
Rover: Bowie, Montreal Victorias (CAHL)
Left Wing: Russell, Montreal Victorias (CAHL)
Center: McGee, Ottawa HC (FAHL)
Right Wing: Gilmour, Ottawa HC (FAHL)
Spare D: W. Strachan, Montreal Wanderers (FAHL)
Spare F: Westwick, Ottawa HC (FAHL)

The accompanying article wrote that Moran "was almost the unanimous choice", with Baker (Wanderers), Hunter (Cornwall), Kenney (Shamrocks), Frye (Victoria), and Brophy (Westmount) came next in the voting.

W. Strachan was apparently a close second to Pulford, and no other point really came close. Bellingham (Victorias), then B. Strachan (Wanderers- strange, as he played a lot of forward), Moore (Ottawa- strange, as he was mostly a cover), Leclerc (Quebec), Meldrum (Montreal), and Brennan (Shamrocks) coming next in the voting.

Boon (Wanderers) came second to More for cover, coming "within about two hundred votes". Pulford (Ottawa- usually a point), Patrick (ostensibly Lester- Westmount), W. Strachan (Wanderers, usually a point), and Bellingham (Victorias- usually a point), Grannery (Shamrocks), and Kent (Victorias) were other runners up.

Westwick (Ottawa) and McGee (Ottawa- usually a center) trailed Bowie at rover by around 250 votes. Blair Russell (Victorias- usually a LW), Arthur Ross (Westmount), Jack Marshall (Wanderers- usually a center), and Walter Cummings (Shamrocks) were also mentioned.

McGee took the honors at center. Roughly 300 votes later came Marshall (Wanderers), then Bowie (Victorias, usually a rover), Westwick (Ottawa- usually a rover), and Blair Russell (Victorias- usually a LW).

Blair Russell apparently dominated the voting at LW. Gilmour (probably Suddie, but it isn't specified. Ottawa, in any case) came next, then Blachford (Wanderers), Smith (usually a RW for Ottawa), Westwick (usually a rover for Ottawa), and Bowie (usually a rover for Victorias).

Billy Gilmour was named at RW, but Blair Russell (usually LW for the VIctorias), Smith (Ottawa), Grannery (Shamrocks- usually a cover), Westwick (Ottawa- usually a rover), Coulson (Montreal HC), and Ross (there are multiple players named Ross- one for Westmount (who mostly played rover) and one for the Shamrocks who did in fact play wing) came next.

W. Strachan outpaced the field by a small margin for the spare D position, with Boon (Wanderers) coming second by less than 20 votes. Moore (Ottawa), Bellingham (Victorias), Smith (uncertain- are they talking about the Ottawa Smith? Am I forgetting someone?), Dr. Cameron (Montreal HC), and J. Brennan (Shamrocks) rounded out the mentioned names.

Westwick was the spare forward, which makes sense given all the different positions he received votes for. Marshall (Wanderers) was next, then Gilmour (uncertain which one, logically Suddie, Ottawa), Smith (probably the Ottaw RW), Walter Cummings (Shamrocks), Glass (Wanderers), Art Ross (Westmount), Jordan (Quebec), B. Strachan (Wanderers), Hogan (Quebec), and Blachford (Wanderers) were also listed.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
On 4 March 1905, the Montreal Star published a publicly-voted All-Star team (readers of the paper sent in ballots; reportedly thousands of submissions from across the country (and the US!) were received. The team was was limited to players from the CAHL and FAHL (so no professionals), and was:

The accompanying article wrote that Moran "was almost the unanimous choice", with Baker (Wanderers), Hunter (Cornwall), Kenney (Shamrocks), Frye (Victoria), and Brophy (Westmount) came next in the voting.

W. Strachan was apparently a close second to Pulford, and no other point really came close. Bellingham (Victorias), then B. Strachan (Wanderers- strange, as he played a lot of forward), Moore (Ottawa- strange, as he was mostly a cover), Leclerc (Quebec), Meldrum (Montreal), and Brennan (Shamrocks) coming next in the voting.

Boon (Wanderers) came second to More for cover, coming "within about two hundred votes". Pulford (Ottawa- usually a point), Patrick (ostensibly Lester- Westmount), W. Strachan (Wanderers, usually a point), and Bellingham (Victorias- usually a point), Grannery (Shamrocks), and Kent (Victorias) were other runners up.

Westwick (Ottawa) and McGee (Ottawa- usually a center) trailed Bowie at rover by around 250 votes. Blair Russell (Victorias- usually a LW), Arthur Ross (Westmount), Jack Marshall (Wanderers- usually a center), and Walter Cummings (Shamrocks) were also mentioned.

McGee took the honors at center. Roughly 300 votes later came Marshall (Wanderers), then Bowie (Victorias, usually a rover), Westwick (Ottawa- usually a rover), and Blair Russell (Victorias- usually a LW).

Blair Russell apparently dominated the voting at LW. Gilmour (probably Suddie, but it isn't specified. Ottawa, in any case) came next, then Blachford (Wanderers), Smith (usually a RW for Ottawa), Westwick (usually a rover for Ottawa), and Bowie (usually a rover for Victorias).

Billy Gilmour was named at RW, but Blair Russell (usually LW for the VIctorias), Smith (Ottawa), Grannery (Shamrocks- usually a cover), Westwick (Ottawa- usually a rover), Coulson (Montreal HC), and Ross (there are multiple players named Ross- one for Westmount (who mostly played rover) and one for the Shamrocks who did in fact play wing) came next.

W. Strachan outpaced the field by a small margin for the spare D position, with Boon (Wanderers) coming second by less than 20 votes. Moore (Ottawa), Bellingham (Victorias), Smith (uncertain- are they talking about the Ottawa Smith? Am I forgetting someone?), Dr. Cameron (Montreal HC), and J. Brennan (Shamrocks) rounded out the mentioned names.

Westwick was the spare forward, which makes sense given all the different positions he received votes for. Marshall (Wanderers) was next, then Gilmour (uncertain which one, logically Suddie, Ottawa), Smith (probably the Ottaw RW), Walter Cummings (Shamrocks), Glass (Wanderers), Art Ross (Westmount), Jordan (Quebec), B. Strachan (Wanderers), Hogan (Quebec), and Blachford (Wanderers) were also listed.
I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

I hope this comes up in our project, as I will certainly weigh it heavily. Hundreds of votes from contemporaries is a dream.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

I hope this comes up in our project, as I will certainly weigh it heavily. Hundreds of votes from contemporaries is a dream.
Neither did I! My jaw literally (and I am using it correctly here, haha) dropped when I saw the call out for ballots, and have been searching for it for about an hour now.

To be clear, it is fan voting, so there is certainly some measure of salt to be taken with this list. But from what I have been reading from this year's seasons (which I should have ready to post on Saturday, Sunday at the latest), this largely checks out. I'm pretty stoked.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hopefully not a duplicate...

MacLean's Magazine (December 15, 1935) "Hockey's Miracle Men" (interview with Tommy Gorman).

..."He thinks that Charlie Conacher is the great forward ever to step on the ice; and that Frank Nighbor, the clever Ottawa centre, was top forward between 1905 and 1920. During the same period he selects Sprague Cleghorn as being away ahead of other defensemen and Georges Vezina, Clint Benedict, and Percy LeSueur running a close race for net-minding honors.

In the period from 1920 up until the present time his choices are: Alex Connell [sic] and Charlie Gardiner for goaltender; Eddie Shore on the defense, and Charlie Conacher on the forward line. He thinks the most colorful player ever to lace on a pair of skates was Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor, the old 'Listowel Thunderbolt' who made hockey history with the Vancouver Millionaires...

Further...
"Hockey players are improving every year in my opinion," Gorman said. "and I firmly believe, despite many denials, that many old-time stars wouldn't last in the present league."

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011

There must have been something in the water with 1905, because apparently a "Montreal man" published an all star list of his own in the Toronto News (I am getting this through The Gazette, 17 February 1905 page 12). It lists the same seven men as the voters selected, and provides a bit of a description for each player.

Pulford, point, and Moore, cover point. Both are strapping big men, they do not use boarding-school methods to handle the enemy as it sweeps down upon them. Pulford is a poor skater. That is his only weakness. But opposing teams fear him, as they fear no man on the ice, and Pulford's strenuous work in the defence of his goal net has earned him the endearing title of 'Butcher'.

Moore can alo accomplish a little body-checking on occasions. He, too, is no gentle lamb, and many a forward can show black and blue marks decorating his anatomy to prove it.

But they both play fine hockey, lifting the puck well, and are effective workers at all times. A formidable pair.

Some of the hockey rooters would give a month's salary to see Bowie and McGee on the same team. Bowie, in the minds of the rooters who have followed the game for years, is the trickiest hockey player than ever stepped upon the ice. Of the four forwards mentioned, Bowie is perhaps the slowest skater. But Bowie does not win games with his skates. His head and hands have brought him the reputation he holds as the most effective scorer playing the game.

McGee, with tremendous bursts of speed, swoops down upon the enemy's nets, almost seeming to skate circles around his opponents.

Bowie clatters towards the nets, on a line as the crow flies. Nursing the puck with lightning-like motions, he avoids the defence somehow, and the goalkeeper knows that he has his work cut out for him.

Both Bowie and McGee have played hockey from the day they graduated from skirts into short pants. Three years ago McGee sacrificed an eye in a hockey game, and has his doctor's word for it that if the puck ever hits his other eye he will probably be blind for life. But he plays the game out of sheer love of the sport, and takes the most dare-devil chances.

Russell, of the Victorias, and Gilmour, of the McGill University team, would take the fences on the All-Canadian team. They are a fine pair, and work like beavers. Russell is not a great scorer, but he is a gold-mine in point of value to his own defence. Let an opponent get the puck and make for goals, and Russell pounces on him like an eagle, hacking and slashing at the opponent's stick. With Russell skating on even terms with his victim, the victim is going to lose the puck. It happens nine times out of ten. And no one ever saw Russell tired. With head lowered, he is in the thick of everything, from the referee's whistle to the tap of the gong.

Gilmour has had experience on the forward line of the great Ottawa team, and Ottawa would very much like to have him back. There is no particular characteristic about his work. He is good at every point of the game that calls for ability and action.

For the thankless position of goalkeeper we have elected Mr. Moran, of Quebec, with his big shin-pads. These have stopped many a goal, but Moran is not particular whether he uses them or not. He frequently projects his face in the way of the puck, anything to stop it.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I apologize if this one has already been noted, I feel like it must have been but I didn't see it-

The Ottawa Free Press listed an all star team for the 1908 ECAHA season (I'm getting this through The Gazette, 26 February 1908 page 2).

Goal- Paddy Moran, Quebec
Point- Fred Taylor, Ottawa
Cover- Joe Power, Quebec
Rover- Russell Bowie, Victorias
Center- C. Power, Quebec
RW- Alf Smith, Ottawa
LW- Tom Phillips, Ottawa

Paddy Moran, of Quebec, has a mortage on the net position. He is known as an aggressive goalkeeper, somewhat of a misnomer for a man in that position. Very few forwards will venture close to Moran, and it is only at the most hand-to-hand quarters he can be scored upon. Billy Nicholson, of Shamrocks, is the nearest approach to Moran.

The defence men are subject to considerable discussion. Fred Taylor, of Ottawa, is acknowledged around the circuit to be the best cover point. But there are other cover points, and as Taylor is a natural point player, he is assigned to the first place out from the cage to make way for Joe Power, of Quebec, in front of him. Many may criticize the elimination of Arthur Ross of Wanderers. Ross has played consistent hockey, with flashed of brilliance, but he is lacking when placed beside Taylor. Taylor is a one-man player when on the offence for the reason it necessitates off-side loafing for any forward to accompany him down the ice. He has a wonderful burst of speed, can dodge anything, is a stick-handler, and a vicious, though somewhat erratic shot. As a defence man his is not so brilliant due to the fact that he is over=anxious to get the man, and, furthermore, no defence player in a stationary position can make sure of catching an attacking man with the lightning pace the forwards are now penetrating the defence. Much of a point or cover point's success as a defence player in modern day hockey depends on the assistance given him by his forwards. Jow [sic] Power is one of the most finished hockey players in the game. He has a creditable rival in Frank Patrick, of Victorias.

Harry Westwick cannot score with Russell Bowie, and the goal-getter is a very valuable man these days, where one team or the other hits it up to the teens. Bowie is fast, and a finished stick handler; works in closer probably than any other man in the game. Herbie Jordan, of Quebec, Pud Glass, of Wanderers, and Bert Morrison are also good men, but Bowie can give them weight for age the year round.

Power is the best centre player since Frank McGee was in harness.

On the right wings, Alf. Smith, Cecil Blachford and Billy Gilmour form an interesting trio from which to make a selection. Blachford, of the champions, besides being a man of long experience, has played consistently well all season, and without doubt is the best man on the Wanderer forward line. Had Smith failed to find himself, Blachford would be a universal choice for an all-star right wing. Billy Gilmour has only worked in spots, condition troubling the Victoria man. There is no dearth in his crop of hockey knowledge, however.

Tom Phillips, of Ottawa, is stationed at left wing without further ado. Blair Russell, of Victorias, is a grand player, but will always be on the bench while the Kenora man is in the game. Gardner, of Shamrocks, is a good man, and Ernie Johnson, of Wanderers, has played effective and showy hockey, but neither can be rated with Phillips, or even Russell. Phillips can skate and score, is an inveterate hand at checking back, and a clever puck-getter.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I love when papers cover other papers' writing- here is The Ottawa Citizen from 11 February 1908 (page 8) reporting on an all star team published by the Montreal Star that was the result of a couple fans' discussion-

First Team
Goal- Moran (Quebec)
Point- Ross (Wanderers)
Cover- Taylor (Ottawa)
Rover- Bowie (Victorias)
Wing- Phillips (Ottawa)
Wing- Gilmour (Victorias)
Center- Welsh (Ottawa)

Second Team
Goal- Nicholson (Shamrocks)
Point- Patrick (Victorias)
Cover- Pulford (Ottawa)
Rover- Glass (Wanderers)
Wing- Johnston (Wanderers) [comment- Johnson, the papers commonly misspell the name]
Wing- Blachford (Wanderers)
Center- E. Russell (Wanderers)

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
And another one- this one from The Ottawa Citizen, 1 March 1907 (page 8), citing "a well-known Montreal newspaper man".

Goal- Lesueur
Point- Pulford
Cover- Stuart
Rover- Patrick
Center- Bowie
LW- B. Russell
RW- A. Smith

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
1691871532112.png

The Flying Frenchmen: Hockey's Greatest Dynasty with Rocket Richard's Own Story -by Maurice Richard and Stan Fischler
Published by N.Y. / New York: Prentice-Hall / A Stuart L Daniels Book - Hawthorn Books, 1971, 1st Edition, First Printing, New York, NY, 1971

Reactions: Chili

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hopefully not a duplicate...

MacLean's Magazine (December 15, 1935) "Hockey's Miracle Men" (interview with Tommy Gorman).

Further...
I found that last part very funny for circa 1935, although there was probably some truth to that notion.

Hockey players are improving every year in my opinion," Gorman said. "and I firmly believe, despite many denials, that many old-time stars wouldn't last in the present league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As they were maybe, but give them the same upgrades…
There was a definite difference between the late 19th century players and in the early 1910s as the game was evolving from strictly amateur to a more professional pre NHL time period with competing leagues and the OHA trying desperately to ward off professionalism.

The upgrade discussion has more merit much later in the 20th century sure but still that same thought is always present in the push and pull of nostalgia and the guys are always getting better crowd.

I think the recent situation with woman's hockey is an interesting comparison to the pre NHL days.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Not sure if this is too recent for this thread, but...

January 28, 1971 - Nashua Telegraph

Harry Sinden said:
In my opinion, take the best players you've seen and put them at the top - Hull, Mikita, Esposito - then put another category on top of that and put in Bobby [Orr]. Put Gordie Howe in there, too.
Though, perhaps this was too off the cuff. Or Sinden believed that all of the top 5 players of all time were playing at the same time.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The Brantford Courier apparently published an All-Canada team sometime in March 1903 (this is the earliest all star team I have seen so far). I don't have the exact date, as I am getting it from The Gazette, 20 March 1903 Page 2

Goal: Nicholson, Montreals
Point: Rod Flett, Winnipeg Jets
Cover: Irvine Ardagh, Wellingtons, or Dickie Boone, Montreals
Rover: Russell Bowie, Montreal Vics
Center: George Chadwick, Wellingtons
Wings: Harry Wetwick (probably Westwick), Ottawa ; Phillips (probably Tommy), Montreal
Spares: Burke Wood, Winnipeg Rowing Club ; Frank McGee, Ottawa

It's interesting. McGee had just finished his first season, but I still have a really hard time seeing Chadwick over him for center. Also, Westwick at wing is a poor look for this list, considering I have him playing only 7 games in 1903, 5 at rover and 2 at an unspecified forward position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad