All Time Best Players - Lists by their contemporaries

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
I always found it interesting to hear what was said about the hockey players of the early era (Pre World War II). Naturally we know the least about these players as we have very limited footage available from games, a few 30 second clips here and there. Very few people are alive today who remember any of the early stars.

So I thought it would be neat to collect interesting quotes and lists in this thread. If there is an old thread like this somewhere, then I apologize and a moderator can move it there.

Quotes and lists from contemporary players, trainers, general managers and even a few sportswriters is of interest. (Pre WW II era only)

1929/30

Malcolm Brice [1876-1971]
Legendary sports editor for the Ottawa Free Press who saw all the early greats play. He is the one who first gave Fred “Cyclone” Taylor his nickname and was instrumental in getting Cyclone to Ottawa. He also gave Percy LeSueur his nickname “Peerless Percy.”

He gave some insight of the earliest hockey stars

Russell Bowie was the best goal getter and centre ice man when the seven-man style prevailed. We always thought Gordie Roberts packed more dynamite than any of the other sharp shooters. I think Alf Smith had the greatest cross-check, and Art Ross the most highly developed short-end jab. Then there was Harry Smith and Froggie (Bruce) Stuart, who wielded mean blades in close quarters. I recall Harry dropping Bruce with a slash that laid bare his lower lip in a game between Ottawa and Wanderers in the Montreal Arena. Stuart came back after being repaired, and in a scuffle around the net, Smith went down with his nose caved in like an egg-shell. After the game they fraternized together.”

1936/37

Joe Choquette

Manufactured sticks for NHL and other pro players since at least 1911, commented on some of the players:

“Take a big fellow like Lionel Conacher for instance. He wants a big blade with hardly any handle because he had a bone broken in his hand. See, look how small the handle is. The stick is very light."

"Now take another big fellow like Reg Noble. He carried a 30-ounce stick, the heaviest I ever made. Art Chapman, George Mantha and lots of other fellows are very fussy. Howie Morenz used to be my best customer. Sometimes he would use or give away about 52 sticks a year. The average player uses about 24 a season.”

1936/37

Aurel Joliat (HHOF 1947)

Picked his all time All-Star teams (Also see 1948/49)

Oldtimers

Goalie: Georges Vezina“In goal I would put the late Georges Vezina. He was a wonder in the nets!”

Defencemen: Eddie Gerard & Sprague Cleghorn“There’s a pair who could stop any attack!”

Center: Frank Nighbor - “It would be a tough one, but I would pick Frank Nighbor.”

Wings: Didier Pitre & Jack Laviolette“The wings would be even harder, but I think that my choice would be the backward skating fiend, Didier Pitre and that speedster Jack Laviolette, what a team!”

Recent times

Goalie: George Hainsworth“I consider that George Hainsworth is outstanding in goal.”

Defencemen: Eddie Shore & King Clancy

Center: Howie Morenz“Howie Morenz is the best centreman of recent years.”

Wings: Bill Cook & Harvey “Busher” Jackson

“I don’t know just what would happen if it were ever possible to assemble those two teams. After all, who could stop the attack of Bill Cook, Howie and Harvey Jackson? Who indeed, if it was not Eddie Gerard and Sprague Cleghorn in front of Georges Vezina? And as for Didier Pitre, Frank Nighbor and Jack Laviolette, I think they could overcome nearly any defence except, perhaps Shore – Clancy – Hainsworth, all in their prime.”

1937/38

Harry “Hap” Holmes (HHOF 1972)

Picked his all-time starting lineup. “An all-star isn’t an all-star to me unless he has stood up for 10 years or more.”

Goalie: Charlie Gardiner “Was a lefthanded goalie who moved so that he was in front of practically every shot.”

Right defenceman: Eddie Shore “Was and still is – the most formidable offensive defensive player in hockey.”

Left defenceman: Ching Johnson “Bigger and more powerful than even [Nels] Stewart.”

Center: Howie Morenz “Was the fastest skater of them all.”

Right Winger: Bill Cook “Clean, strenuous, determined, and a powerful skater.”

Left Winger: Aurel Joliat - “He is tricky and has a remarkable change of pace.”

“Other brilliant centers were Dick Irvin, now coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs: Duke Keats who played with Edmonton: and Frank Nighbor, who coached Buffalo for years. Of those still performing I must mention Marty Barry of the Detroit Red Wings: Frankie Boucher of the Rangers: Hooley Smith of the Bruins and Nels Stewart”

Charlie Conacher and Paul Thompson were wings of the front rank. It’s a pity to leave Sprague Cleghorn out of any all-star lineup. He played plenty of defense for the Canadiens, and wasn’t afraid to mix it.”

Lester Patrick should be rated near the top as a defenseman with his brother, Frank, not far behind. They would have been super luminaries had they not been handicapped by the management of leagues, rinks, and clubs.”

Herb Gardiner of Calgary and the Canadiens was an excellent defenseman, and so is the speedy Babe Siebert, a converted forward.”

Tiny Thompson of the Bruins is the game’s foremost goalie at who worked with the Canadiens and Maple Leafs (he ment Pirates) was a pippin Roy Worters, who played with the Americans, was a small chap, but all goalie.”

1938/39

Mervyn “Red” Dutton (HHOF 1958)

He selected an All-Star, All-Time team since he began to play.

First

Goalie: Tiny Thompson

Right Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn

Left Defenceman: Eddie Gerard

Center: Dick Irvin

Right Winger: Bill Cook

Left Winger: Aurel Joliat

Second pairing and forwards

Right Defenceman 2: Eddie Shore

Left Defenceman 2: Herb Gardiner

Center 2: Howie Morenz

Right Winger 2: Charlie Conacher

Left Winger 2: Harvey “Busher” Jackson

Third line

Center 3: Frank Boucher

Right Winger 3: Dit Clapper

Left Winger 3: Paul Thompson

1939/40

Art Ross (HHOF 1949)

Picked the best players of all-time (Also see 1943/44)

Goalie: Frank Brimsek (He also selected him when picking the best goalie in 1941)

Defenceman: Eddie Shore

Defenceman: Hod Stuart

Center: Cyclone Taylor & Frank Nighbor & Syl Apps & Howie Morenz & Russell Bowie & Milt Schmidt

Left Winger: Tommy Phillips

“I have not attempted to rank the centres in order. Every one of them would be able to step out with Phillips and Cook and be the greatest scoring line in hockey’s history.”

1941/42

Ebbie Goodfellow (HHOF 1963)

Picked an All-Opponents team

1st team

Goalie – Tiny Thompson

Defenceman – Eddie Shore

Defenceman – Dit Clapper

Center – Howie Morenz

Wings – Bill Cook & Aurel Joliat

2nd team

Goalie – Charlie Gardiner

Defenceman – King Clancy

Defenceman – Ching Johnson

Center – Syl Apps

Wings – Paul Thompson & Charlie Conacher

In 1944 Goodfellow picked Doug Bentley of Chicago as the best Left Winger he ever saw.

1942/43

Duke Keats (HHOF 1958)

Picked an all-time, all-star team

Goalie – Hap Holmes

Defenceman – “Bullet” Joe Simpson

Defenceman – Sprague Cleghorn

Defenceman – Eddie Shore

Center – Dick Irvin

Right Winger – Bill Cook

Left Winger – Gordie Roberts & George Hay

Keats was not impressed with the modern hockey. “Today they just rush around like chickens with their heads off. We played hockey.” he said.

1942/43

Cooper Smeaton (HHOF 1961)

Picked his all-star teams (oldtimers and modern)
“I’ve steered clear of that for a long time, but I’m through with hockey now and after all they’re only my impressions. Lots of people won’t agree, but we’ll pick two teams from the time I’ve been looking at them.”

Oldtimers

Goalie – Georges Vezina

Defenceman – Lionel Hitchman

Defenceman – Sprague Cleghorn

Center – Joe Malone

Right Winger – Harry “Punch” Broadbent

Left Winger – Aurel Joliat

Modern

Goalie – Charlie Gardiner

Defenceman – Ching Johnson

Defenceman – Earl Seibert

Center – Joe Primeau

Right Winger – Bill Cook

Left Winger – Gordie Drillon

What, no Eddie Shore!

(Smeaton)
“No, no Eddie Shore this time. I’m naming defence players and Shore, good as he was, never would have been the player he’s rated if it wasn’t for Lionel Hitchman, “Hitch”, to my mind, was one of the most underrated players of all time as a defenceman. Eddie drew a lot of the credit, but you ask any of those who played against them who they’d want out there if it was a one-man defence. They’d say Shore because they could get around him. None of them ever relished the task of getting by Hitchman.”

“Some of them may raise their eyebrows about Primeau. All right, where did Conacher and Jackson get to when he quit? Sure, I’ll take Drillon, too, at left. He scores goals. Some people think you have to be a fancy skater to be a great forward. A wingman is supposed to score goals. Drillon’s record looks good enough to me. That’s what you payoff on.”

1942/43

Jack Adams (HHOF 1959)

Gave his opinion on the old players and modern goaltenders.

(Adams)
“Most of the criticism aimed at present-day players is that they can’t stickhandle and shoot like the old-timers. Imagine what guys like Joe Malone, Babe Dye, Newsy Lalonde, Didier Pitre, Cy Denneny, Reg Noble and some more of them would to to the goaltenders if they were playing today. Those guys would have murdered the goalies if they’d been playing under these rules.”

Hardest shot?

(Adams)
“I’ve heard some of them say that Brian Hextall had the hardest shot in hockey today and I’ll admit he’s got a great backhand shot. But you can’t begin to rate him with fellows like Grindy Forrester, Didier Pitre, Babe Dye, Carson Cooper and Charlie Conacher.”

Who was Grindy Forrester?

(Adams)
“Oh, an old-timer they used to talk about when I was a kid. I saw him once – out in Winnipeg. He could shoot the puck, all right. But as far as I’m concerned he couldn’t carry Babe Dye’s stick. Dye was the peer of them all. I saw him shoot a puck up into the seats in aproactice one day, and the puck went right through the back of the seat, leaving a hole in the wood that was the exact impression of the puck – just the way a bullet would.”

“Another time he was wild with a shot and it went right through the wire back of the nets in the old Mutual street rink in Toronto. That wire was about an eighth of an inch thick. But the puck clipped right through it just the way it did when it went through the wood in the back of that seat. He used to let a lot of long ones go from around centre ice. I’ve seen defencemen try to stop them with their sticks and their sticks would break right in two. Didier Pitre could drill that puck, too, but he didn’t have Dye’s control. When Dye’s shot was off the net it was an accident.””

What about curving the puck? Frankie Boucher had claimed that Harry Cameron, who used to play for the old Toronto Arenas, could shoot curves. Frankie said that Cameron’s stick was crooked like a sabre and he secured the spin necessary to make the puck swerve in flight by rolling it off this curved blade.

(Adams)
“They used to say the same thing about Cy Denneny. Every time he shot the puck he’d step on his stick to put the crook back into it. But I don’t know if Cy or anybody else could curve a puck when he wanted to, though I know a puck will do funny things by accident.”

Tommy Gorman (former GM) chimed in:
“Sure he could shoot curves. I’ve seen him do it lots of times – and not by accident. He’s aim his shot high and the thing would drop. He fooled lot of goalkeepers that way.”

1942/43

Bill Beveridge (Goalie 9 seasons in the NHL 1929-38, 42/43)

He reflected on some of the players.

Howie Morenz & Aurel Joliat: “They formed the most formidable and best pair in hockey history. Not only were they dangerous offensively but were also noted for their back checking. They could catch up with their opponents from 30-40 feet behind the play. This type of back checking was unheard of in ancient hockey. This art is non existent in modern hockey as well.”

Bill & Bun Cook: “As for general ability, these two will never have any equals. Their cohesive game was fascinating. They could pass the puck blindly and drop the puck with great precision. They were also very good at stealing the pucks from opponents”

Charlie Conacher: “Howie Morenz shot was like a race car, a lot of velocity and accurate. Conacher’s shot didn’t have the same velocity, but had more power (heavier). The type of shooting prowess of Morenz and Conacher can’t be found in todays hockey”

1943/44

Shorty Green (HHOF 1963)

Selcted his all-time all-star team

Goalie: Unknown?

Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn

Defenceman: Eddie Gerard

Center: Frank Nighbor

1943/44

Art Ross (HHOF 1949)

Also see 1939/40

Asked whether he believed Frank McGee was one of the all-time greats.

(Ross)
“I know McGee was good but he was a little before my time. To my mind the greatest hockey player who ever lived was Tommy Phillips of Kenora.”

1943/44

Frederick “Mickey” Ion (HHOF 1961)

Legendary referee who broke a 30 year long silence and listed 22 players as the all-time greats in hockey
He contented that too many unqualified observers were “forever sticking their noses into all-star hockey business when they couldn’t tell a stick-handler from a goal judge.”

He was supposed to pick 22 but only 21 names appeared on the list.

Georges Vezina
Cyclone Taylor
Howie Morenz
Eddie Shore
Joe Malone
Sprague Cleghorn
Eddie Gerard
Frank Patrick
Art Ross
Jack Walker
Duke Keats
Mickey MacKay
Bill Cook
King Clancy
Nels Stewart
Aurel Joliat
Milt Schmidt
Syl Apps
Ebbie Goodfellow
Dit Clapper
Frank Boucher

Ion also picked all-star teams for three eras.

1910-20

Georges Vezina (GK)
Joe Hall
Joe Malone
Cyclone Taylor
Didier Pitre
Jack Laviolette
Moose Johnson
Allan Davidson
Gordie Roberts
Jimmy Gardiner
Reg Noble
Bert Corbeau
Lester Patrick
Frank Patrick
Dick Irvin
Jack Walker
George Boucher
Art Ross

1920-30

Clint Benedict (GK)
Eddie Gerard
Sprague Cleghorn
Frank Nighbor
Lionel Hitchman
Newsy Lalonde
Ching Johnson
Duke Keats
Mickey MacKay
Eddie Shore
Howie Morenz
Aurel Joliat
Joe Simpson
Babe Siebert
Lionel Conacher
Frank Foyston
Pete Lepine

1930-40

Tiny Thompson (GK)
George Hainsworth (GK)
King Clancy
Charlie Conacher
Milt Schmidt
Bobby Bauer
Joe Primeau
Ebbie Goodfellow
Dit Clapper
Frank Boucher
Earl Seibert
Bill Cook
Harvey “Busher” Jackson
Paul Thompson
Art Coulter
Bryan Hextall
Bill Cowley
Syl Apps

1944/45

Newsy Lalonde (HHOF 1950)

Picked his all-stars (Also see 1947/48)

Goalie: Unknown?

Defenceman: Ebbie Goodfellow – Claimed that Ebbie stood out as the best of them all as a rearguard

Defenceman: Herb Gardiner

Center: Frank Nighbor & Howie Morenz – He couldn’t make a choice between them

Wings: Bill Cook & Tom Phillips

1944/45

Frank Nighbor (HHOF 1947)

Looked back at the great hockey stars of his era, although not submitting an all-star team he thought a bunch of them stood out.

“When I look back over a period of 20 or 25 years I still think that Newsy Lalonde, Didier Pitre, Jack Laviolette, Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Gerard, George Boucher, Harry Cameron, King Clancy and my old wingmates, the late Jack Darragh, Cy Denneny and Harry Broadbent were pretty fair hockey players, and that fellow named Clint Benedict and the lad that followed him, Alex Connell, were nice to look at too.”

1945/46

Bill & Bun Cook (HHOF 1952 & 1995)

What about a composite, all-time, all-star hockey player? If you could take a little from this one, a little from that one, add a dash from here, a dash from there…what kind of a player would you have?

Bill pondered, decided the dream man should be a centre and without much wasted mental effort asserted he should skate like Howie Morenz and make plays like Bill Cowley.

Bill thought this composite character – no name has been selected yet – should also be built like Cowley “because I don’t care for centre men who are too big.”

Brother Bun hopped into te argument with names like Lester and Frank Patrick, Duke Keats, Mickey MacKay, Charlie Conacher, Sprague Cleghorn, Frank Nighbor, Dick Irvin

Bun mentioned Aurel Joliat and Bill took charge of the discussion. “One all-time star would finish plays like Joliat”, he agreed, “There never was a better operator in front of the net than that little guy. And say, let’s give this character a shot like Conacher’s.”

Two more ingredients were necessary – will to win, and temperament. Bill selected Eddie Shore for the first quality – “that would step him up tremendously – and Aubrey (Dit) Clapper for temperament. Just give him Clapper’s temperament. Then he’d get along no matter where he went, or what phenomenal successes came his way”

1946/47

Cyclone Taylor (HHOF 1947)

After being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Cyclone picked his all-time team based on the players he played with and against.

Goalie: Percy LeSueur (Also named him as the best goalie in 1942)

Defenceman: Lester Patrick

Defenceman: Hod Stuart

Center: Howie Morenz

Right Winger: Scotty Davidson

Left Winger: Tommy Phillips

Rover: Mickey MacKay

1947/48

Newsy Lalonde (HHOF 1950)

Picked his all-stars once again three years after the first time (Also see 1944/45).

He was critical of the modern game and thought it lacked science of the game a quarter of a century earlier. “Back in my day there was more combination, more stick-handling and less interference. Today’s hockey is a carbon copy of box lacrosse, pure and simple.”

Of the old-timers, Newsy liked the late Frank McGee.

Goalie: George Hainsworth“You’ve got to take him on his record alone, even ahead of Vezina.”

Defenceman: Butch Bouchard

Center: Frank McGee & Howie Morenz

Right Winger: Bill Cook & Maurice Richard

Left Winger: Harvey “Busher” Jackson & Aurel Joliat

“They were all good, and lots more. Maybe I left out some I should pick.”

Only two players remained from his 1944/45 all-star selection: Howie Morenz and Bill Cook.

1948/49

Aurel Joliat (HHOF 1947)

Also see 1936/37

He was very critical towards the NHL as a business.

He listed the greatest players he ever performed with or against as:

Goalies

Georges Vezina
George Hainsworth

Defencemen

Sprague Cleghorn
Eddie Gerard
George (Buck) Boucher
Ching Johnson
Eddie Shore

Forwards

Howie Morenz
Bill Cook

He couldn’t recall immediately another forward.

Would these men be able to keep pace with present-day hockey?

(Joliat)
“Certainly, and they would be standouts. A good hockey player can go in any type of game.”

12 years earlier he had also mentioned Vezina, Hainsworth, Shore, Gerard. Cleghorn, Morenz and Cook

1948/49

Hap Day (HHOF 1961)

Picked his all-time team (labeled prior 1926), only his defencemen were mentioned.

Defenceman: Georges Boucher & Eddie Gerard

Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn & Lester Patrick

1950/51

Greatest player of the half century.

Poll conducted by Sports editors and Sportscasters.

Howie Morenz 27 votes
Maurice Richard 4
Cyclone Taylor 3
Frank Nighbor 2
Eddie Shore 1
Nels Stewart 1
Newsy Lalonde 1
Aurel Joliat 1
Syl Apps 1
Milt Schmidt 1
Turk Broda 1

1951/52

Bill Cook (HHOF 1952)

Picked his all-time all-star lineup.

Goalie: George Hainsworth

Defenceman: Ching Johnson

Right Winger: Gordie Howe

1968/69

Ace Bailey (HHOF 1975)

Commented on the best defenceman he ever saw.

“I’d say [Eddie] Shore was the best of all defencemen, except for one other. He was next to one Ottawa player. I mean the late Eddie Gerard. I put Gerard as tops, and Shore nex tto him.”

Other voices:

Roy Brown (fine player in the old IPHL (1943) - Picked Tommy Phillips as the all time greatest player.

Sprague Cleghorn (1941) – Picked Georges Vezina as the best goalie.

Lionel Conacher (1941) – Called Roy Worters the greatest goalie who ever played.

Tim Daly (longtime Leafs trainer) (1942) – Insisted that the three greatest players he had ever seen was Cyclone Taylor, Howie Morenz and Syl Apps.

Tommy Gorman
(1941) – Went for Alex Connell as the best goalie that he ever saw.
In 1944 he thought Dick Irvin and Toe Blake were the best players.

Bucko McDonald (1944) – Nominated Ray Getliffe as the “hockey player’s hockey player.”

Lester Patrick (1941) – Called Moose Johnson the greatest of all hockey players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
A few more interesting lists and observations.

1924/25

A journalist by the name of Charlie Good, writing for McLean’s magazine contacted every major sport writer that he could find, and got them to select an all-time best hockey team.

The final consensus of opinion revealed the following team as the all-star selection of all time:

Goalie: Georges Vezina - “For year in and year out consistency no doubt Vezina gets the call for goal.”

Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn “Over a dozen of years Sprague Cleghorn has been the standout defenceman of hockey.”

Defenceman: Hod Stuart “There was an almost unanimous selection of Hod Stuart, and that explains the regard he was held in. Stuart was a wonder on skates, a commanding figure, a speedy player who was also a wonderful stickhandler and a great man at breaking up rushes.”

Center: Frank Nighbor “Frank Nighbor needs no introduction. His work over a period of years stood by itself.”

Right Winger: Scotty Davidson – “Davidson had everything that a great hockey player possesses even as [Alf] Smith did. In brainwork the latter was a host in himself, and few could out-think him in a tight corner.”

Left Winger: Tommy Phillips“Phillips undoubtedly was the star left wing of all time. A player with a great stride, a stinging shot, and was a magnificent skater. He had all the essentials.”

Lester Patrick“Comes in for honorable mention in several places.”

Percy LeSueur “Percy LeSueur came second. He was as good as Vezina but didn’t wear as well and was only eight or nine years in the big time, and slipped badly as a netminder towards the finish of his career.”

1941/42

Leo Dandurand
– Picked Clint Benedict as the best goalie ever.
According to Dandurand legendary Georges Vezina claimed that Benedict was always the man to beat.

Cyclone Taylor – Singled out Jack Adams as having possessed the hardest shot he ever came across in hockey. Babe Dye, Cy Denneny and Charlie Conacher were mentioned when Cyclone made his claim. Cyclone acknowledged them all but still put Adams at the top.
Cyclone also said that the game hasn’t seen a greater opportunist than Newsy Lalonde and classed him the same in lacrosse.

1947/48

Tommy Gorman (HHOF 1963)

Picked his all-time best team.

Goalie: Clint Benedict

Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn

Defenceman: George Boucher

Defenceman: Eddie Gerard

Center: Frank Nighbor

Wings: Jack Darragh & Charlie Conacher

He said that Maurice Richard was the greatest player on the attack in a defence zone he had ever seen although others were his superior in checking or coming out of a defence area.

Babe Dye, of the old St.Pat’s, and Cy Denneny, were his greatest shots. He credited Cy Denneny as one of the few in hockey who could curve a puck, sending a shot from left wing with a positive quick drop and twist.

Bob Gracie
, of the Maroons, according to Gorman, was the best skater, and he told about a bet he made, and won, that Gracie could go the length of a newly flooded rink without leaving a skate mark.

1948/49

Frank Selke (HHOF 1960)

Picked his all-time best team.
He broke it down to three separate eras.

1900-1926

Goalie: Georges Vezina

Defencemen: Hod Stuart & George McNamara

Defencemen: Lester Patrick & Art Ross

Centers: Frank Nighbor & Cyclone Taylor

Right Wingers: Scotty Davidson & Dick Irvin

Left Wingers: Tommy Phillips & Newsy Lalonde

1927-1939

Goalie: Alex Connell

Defencemen: King Clancy & Eddie Shore

Defenceman: Earl Seibert & Sylvio Mantha

Centers: Howie Morenz & Nels Stewart

Right Wingers: Charlie Conacher & Bill Cook

Left Wingers: Aurel Joliat & Harvey “Busher” Jackson

1939-1949

Goalie: Bill Durnan

Defencemen: Dit Clapper & Butch Bouchard

Defencemen: Ken Reardon & Bill Quackenbush

Centers: Elmer Lach & Syl Apps

Right Wingers: Bobby Bauer & Maurice Richard

Left Wingers: Toe Blake & Ted Lindsay

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Dick Irvin seems to have been rated much higher as a player by his contemporaries than subsequent generations, who know him more as a coach.

Reactions: VanIslander

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Dick Irvin seems to have been rated much higher as a player by his contemporaries than subsequent generations, who know him more as a coach.

Dick Irvin is ranked #8 in my book "Golden Boys - The Top 50 Manitoba Hockey Players of All Time" if you ever wanna learn more about him. He's definitely an all-time great. I spoke with Dick Irvin Jr. at length for the chapter and it's one of my favorite pieces of writing I've done.

Also, big thanks @Robert Gordon Orr for compiling all of these lists! It's a great read.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Maybe I missed one but I'm amazed Bill Cowley didn't seem to make anyone's list? When he retired in 46-47 he was the all-time points leader in NHL history.

Reactions: Killion

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Two more lists.

Foster Hewitt via Dick Beddoes in 1961: The Sunday Sun - Google News Archive Search

G: Charlie Gardiner
D: Eddie Shore
D: Eddie Gerard
LW: Ted Lindsay
C: Howie Morenz
RW: Maurice Richard

Jim Coleman’s Top 10 in 1979: Edmonton Journal - Google News Archive Search

Howie Morenz
Eddie Shore
Gordon Howe
Maurice Richard
Bobby Orr
Bobby Hull
Jean Beliveau
Milt Schmidt
Dit Clapper
Eddie Gerard

Both lists include player comments that are worth reading. Coleman mentioned of Orr “Defensively, he wasn’t quite as strong or as mean as Eddie Shore, but who was?”

Reactions: VanIslander

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
1932/33

November 12, 1932 - The Winnipeg Tribune

Dick Irvin, the Marksman

Old hockey players tell the story that when Dick Irvin was a member of the Monarchs he used to line 10 pop bottles along the rail before every practice, and then pick them off one by one with the puck from a distance of 30 feet. He never missed more than once in 10 shots.

Irvin developed one of the best shots in hockey. It lacked the steam of the cannon balls that Babe Dye and Joe Simpson used to fling at the terrified goalies, but its accuracy was uncanny. Furthermore, Irvin - could get his shot away when he was off - balance, and was being jostled by an opposing defenceman, and it didn't just dribble along the ice either.

Irvin could think fast, too, and, if he managed to grab the puck in a scramble in front of the goal, he flicked it into the net so fast that the goalkeeper didn't even see it. But Irvin didn't have to back-check, or stick like a leech to his opposing opposing wingman.

Tommy Phillips, of the famous old Kenora Thistles, acknowledged to be one of the greatest players of all time, had a unique method of practising his shooting. In the summer time, when most athletes were engaging in some other form of sport, Tommy would spend long hours sniping at knot - holes in the wall of an old horse stable. He used to put lard on the wooden floor, to get a slippery surface to shoot from, and lash the puck at the far wall of the stable. It is small wonder that Tommy packed a sizzling shot, which was deadly in its accuracy, but most players players would find this method of practising practising slightly tedious. It was just Tommy's idea of fun, however.

Babe Dye
, a Toronto boy, who was acknowledged to have the hardest shot of any player in the National Hockey league for several seasons, devoted an hour every day to shooting practice. It paid him high dividends, for although he was a slow skater and an indifferent puck - carrier, he always finished high in the scoring.

Charlie Conacher, a member of Toronto's Toronto's high - scoring "kid forward line," is Dye's successor as the league's most feared sharpshooter. Busher Jackson, Billy Burch and Nels Stewart are other Toronto players famed for their goal-scoring proclivities.

1940/41

Steamer Maxwell (HHOF 1962)

Steamer rated the late Tommy Phillips of Kenora Thistles and Dick Irvin, as the greatest players in his memory.

W.J. “Billy” Field

Old time star player and referee from the seven man era.
His son Wilf Field played 215 games in the NHL.

Tommy Phillips, who led Kenora Thistles to the Stanley cup in 1907 when that illustrious trophy was competed for on a challenge basis, is still his No. 1 hockey player. Phillips generally is rated one of the immortals of hockey.

1942/43

King Clancy
claimed that Frank Nighbor was the greatest hockey player of all time.

Lester Patrick sticked to Cyclone Taylor as tops in his book.
(Two years earlier he said that Moose Johnson was the best)

Eddie Shore picked Howie Morenz as the greatest ever.

1943/44

Alf Smith (HHOF 1962)

Smith wouldn’t name his choice of the greatest player of all time, because, he explained, it is impossible to compare men who play in different positions. But he didn’t hesitate to name Georges Vezina as the greatest goalie of his time.

Paddy Moran (HHOF 1958)

In Moran’s book, Joe Malone was the greatest scorer and best stickhandler of his time.

Percy LeSueur (HHOF 1961)

LeSueur agreed that Malone was one of the greatest of all players. But, said Percy, Malone had so much natural ability and mechanical greatness that he made hard play look easy. Thus Malone had not been as colorful as some of the other great players.

LeSueur claimed the most colorful of all hockey players were Howie Morenz, Cyclone Taylor and Eddie Shore. As an afterthought he added King Clancy and Sprague Cleghorn to his color class.

Percy offered an interesting comparison of two of the greatest centres the game has known. “Morenz and Taylor differed in style, Cyclone not inviting the bumps Howie took but combining his speed with expert stickhandling to circle, rather than barge through defences. When Cyclone was in stride, neither Howie nor any other player ever went faster.”

Of the old-time stars worthy of consideration for a place in hockey’s hall of fame, LeSueur named such as Tommy Phillips, Hod Stuart, Didier Pitre, Newsy Lalonde, Jack Laviolette, the Patrick brothers and Harry Smith. He refused to choose an all-time, all-star team, explaining no one could conscientiously call the six best men in hockey history.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
As this compilation progresses we are starting to appreciate the evolution of the languge of hockey.

In stride speed as opposed to "first step" acceleration speed. Mechanical greatness = technique. The distinction between fast, hard and accurate shots. etc.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Ok, a few more...

1943/44

Larry Armstrong [1891-1968]

Hockey player and longtime coach for University of Minnesota.
He also was one of the world's leading sprinters (1924 Olympian)

He was convinced that Dick Irvin was the greatest product of Canadian hockey and insisted the name was Irwin and not Irvin.

"It was Irwin on his old gentleman's butcher shop, and I'm willing to accept that as proof."

Whatever the correct name happens to be, Irwin or Irvin he placed on Armstrong's all-time all-star team in a gentle breeze. He topped all of the great centres Larry ever saw, including Frederickson, Taylor, McGee, Keats and the rest of them.

Armstrong’s all-time, all-star team invoked considerable interest and comments when it was published in a Minnesota newspaper. Larry named Jack Winchester, who played for Winnipeg Maple Leafs 40 years ago, as his greatest goaler. Not many people remember Winchester. Armstrong insisted on that he was an extremely capable and colorful puck stopper.

On his all-star defense, he named Hod Stuart of the old Montreal Wanderers and Eddie Shore. He picked Dick Irvln as the centre, Tommy Phillips as the right wing and Alf Smith of Ottawa as the left wing. Armstrong neglected to select a rover.

1943/44

L.F.Earl

He was a longtime sports writer who had seen the early greats first hand
Earl responded to the list made by Larry Armstrong.

Dick Irwin was a great hockey player. Winnipeg fans remember his ability to catch a sharp pass from one of his wing men and the peculiar wrist snap with which he rifled a puck at the opposing goalie, nearly always at the opening in the net where it was hardest to stop. With most centre men the receiving of the pass and the shot are two different operations. Dick Irwin could co-ordinate them into one. With him It was all one motion, rarely a lacklustre feint, seldom the slightest error in timing. In this particular ability Irwin may have been unexcelled. But ranking him as the greatest of the great in hockey Is another matter.”

For that honor, Earl picked Tommy Phillips, of the old Kenora Thistles, as the man who had more hockey in feet, head and stick than any player who ever laced on a skate.

"The Thistles were at their peak from 1903 to 1908. When they were in their prime It is doubtful if a faster skating team ever stepped on ice and Phillips was the fastest of them all.”

"Phillips was a skating paradox. He was fastest when he had a puck on the end of his hockey stick, an accompaniment which usually slows up a hockey player. Those whose memories go that far back may recall two games Phillips played in 1905. One was the final of a Stanley cup series at Ottawa, when the Thistles lost the game and Stanley cup to Ottawa by one goal. The other was an exhibition game on Dec. 31 at the old Arena rink, in Winnipeg, between the same teams, which still stands as one of the greatest athletic struggles the West ever saw.”
“Phillips had played many great games but in this one he perhaps gave the greatest performance of his great career.

With 10 minutes left of the game on December 31, he score was Ottawa 6, Kenora 4.

“Then came eight minutes of as dazzling a performance a hockey ever produced, with Tommy Phillips In the star role. All four goals were scored on end to end rushes by Phillips. Two were from his own shot, one from one of his passes, and the fourth on rebound which Hooper banged in when Phillips shot knocked the Ottawa goalie off his feet.”

“The third one was the great play of the night. Phillips was followlng an Ottawa rush and when Geroux blocked the shot he picked the puck from behind his own goal, dodged lour terrific checks, and let go of a shot from a corner of the rink. From his position it looked as if he were almost on a line with the two goal posts. The rubber clicked in the upper right hand corner of the net.”

“It was several minutes before the official could get the ice cleared. Cleared, no sooner had they done it than Phillips made almost an exact duplicate of his spectacular rush, but this time he kept to the centre of the ice, flashed past Pulford, and rifled a shot from about 40 feet. The impact took the Ottawa netminder off his feet and Tommy Hooper made the score on the rebound. Here was a game which those who saw It rank a one of the greatest.”

On Larry Amstrong’s all-time all-star team.

"Larry Armstrong gave Jack Winchester, who used to play with the Winnipeg Maple Leafs, the place in goal. I don't agree with that. Given my choice of all the puck-stoppers. It would be a toss-up between Dutchy Morrison and Charlie Gardiner.”

“For the rest of the team Hod Stuart and Eddie Shore on defence. Dick Irwin at centre Alf Smith at left wing, and Phillips, at right wing, there isn't much ta disipute, except that Phillip was best at left wing, although he could shoot from either side. Hockey has had many greats, but for speed, elusiveness and accuracy of shooting, there was only one Phillips.”

1949/50

Frank Boucher (HHOF 1958)

Who does he figure was the best of them all?

“I guess, all in all, that Bill Cook was the best hockey player I ever saw”.
"The smartest hockey player for my money was Aurel Joliat of the Canadiens. Joliat could do some wondrous things with a puck. He was only a little fellow but he was very shifty and hardly ever got hit. I often wonder why he didn't play centre ice instead of the wing. He was a wonderful playmaker."

Who was the hardest hitter he ever came up against?

"This may surprise you because I guess you know I played against Eddie Shore and Lionel Conacher, but the hardest bodychecker of them all was Lionel Hitchman who used to play with Shore for the Boston Bruins. Hitch could really hit."

Frank thought that Charlie Gardiner was probably the greatest goaltender of them all, although he wasn't too sure if maybe Canadiens Bill Durnan isn't just as good.

"There is no comparison between the old-time old-time old-time goalies and the modern cage tenders like Gardiner and Durnan. They played it differently differently in the old days. Now that position receives more attention and requires more science than all the other positions put together. Yes, Durnan is great but so was Gardiner."

Frank Boucher's all-time all-star team

Goalie: Charlie Gardiner

Defenceman: Lionel Hitchman

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Many thanks to RobertGordonOrr for his contributions in this thread. Lots of great research here to consider.

Everybody seemed to rate Shore as the greatest, or near greatest, defenceman, yet Cooper Smeaton implies that Lionel Hitchman was the more effective member of the pairing. Interesting.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
1937/38

Bill Cook (HHOF 1952)

14 years later he had exactly the same team, except that he had Gordie Howe on the RW instead of Charlie Conacher (see other post).

His all-time all-star lineup in 1937/38.

Goalie: George Hainsworth

Right Winger: Charlie Conacher

1942/43

Jim Hendy (HHOF 1968)

Publisher of The Hockey Guide

Selected all-star teams for the period 1930-40.

"Anyone who ever tried to say that one man from a decade was better than another when he actually never saw them play against each other is talking through his hat"

First team all-stars

Goalie: Tiny Thompson“Thompson has the best pair of hands seen in NHL quarters and is cool under fire”

Defenceman: Eddie Shore“Shore was a great rushing defenceman”

Defenceman: King Clancy“Clancy was slight, a 150-pound streak of lightning with perfect timing in body checking."

Center: Howie Morenz“Montreal Canadlens flash, was the peer of centre icemen.”

Right Winger: Charlie Conacher

Left Winger: Harvey “Busher” Jackson

Second team all-stars

Defenceman: Earl Seibert

Defenceman: Lionel Conacher

Center: Frank Boucher

Third team all-stars

Goalie: Roy Worters

Defenceman: Art Coulter

Center: Nels Stewart

Right Winger: Dit Clapper

Left Winger: Bun Cook

As a kid in Vancouver 25 years ago, Hendy used to scrape the ice of the Vancouver Arena to earn himself a ticket for the next game. And, to carry Cyclone Taylor's stick, was one of his greatest thrills.

Hendy pondered about the battle that would follow if the old-timers (before 1930) at their peak could meet either of the all-star teams selected in the 1930-40 period.

"Any six of them could held their own against any of the all-star selections or any group picked from current players", Hendy said.

1947/48

Frank Boucher (HHOF 1958)

Boucher selected an all-time all-star team.

Three years later he had the same players when he submitted his all-stars, except that he had Lionel Hitchman instead of Ching Johnson .

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Scotty Bowman has said that Gordie Howe was the greatest and he never thought it was even close. I don't have the year reference handy at the moment.

AWESOME THREAD! :wave:

Several of the lists have been posted on this board and the All-Time Draft Board, but never have they been consolidated and added to like they are here.

The all-time drafts here at HfBoards are pretty good at honoring almost all of those on those lists, but a couple stand out, most notably someone on THREE lists, those of Cyclone Taylor, Frank Selke and a MacLean's journalist:

Scotty-Davidson.jpg

The HHOF-inducted 6'1 RW captain of the 1914 Stanley Cup championship Toronto team Scotty Davidson. I can't recall him ever being drafted in the ATDs (500 to 800+ picks deep the draft can go), and certainly never as a starter on even a 4th line.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I always found it interesting to hear what was said about the hockey players of the early era (Pre World War II). Naturally we know the least about these players as we have very limited footage available from games, a few 30 second clips here and there. Very few people are alive today who remember any of the early stars.

So I thought it would be neat to collect interesting quotes and lists in this thread.
A few more interesting lists and observations.
Two more lists.
Ok, a few more...

Thanks for these!

An attempt at systemizing the information posted so far:

GOALTENDERS

Riley Hern (*1878):
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): old hockey all-star team

Percy LeSueur (*1881):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): second all-time ("as good as Vezina, but didn't wear as well")
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1938): all-time all-star goaltender
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1942): best goaltender
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1946/1947): all-time all-star team

Harry 'Dutchy' Morrison (*1882):
  • L.F. Earl (1943/1944): either Morrison or Charlie Gardiner would make the all-time all-star team

Hugh Lehman (*1885):
  • Si Griffis (1938): all-time all-star team
  • Lester? Patrick (1938): all-time all-star team

Georges Vézina (*1887):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): all-time all-star team ("for year in and year out consistency")
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'oldtimers' all-star team ("was a wonder in the nets")
  • Jack Adams (1938): all-time all-star team
  • Charles Querrie (1938): all-time all-star team
  • Sprague Cleghorn (1941): "best goaltender"
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'oldtimers' all-star team
  • Alf Smith (1943/1944): "greatest goalie of his time"
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1910-20 all-star team and all-time all-star team
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the two best goaltenders Joliat had played with or against (the other being George Hainsworth)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1900-1926 all-star team

Hap Holmes (*1888):
  • Duke Keats (1942/1943): all-time all-star team

Clint Benedict (*1892):
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): modern hockey all-star team
  • Leo Dandurand (1941/1942): best goaltender ever
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1920-30 all-star team
  • Tommy Gorman (1947/1948): all-time all-star team

George Hainsworth (*1895):
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'recent times' all-star team ("outstanding in goal")
  • Bill Cook (1937/1938): all-time all-star team
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): one of two goalies on the 1930-1940 all-star team (the other being Tiny Thompson)
  • Newsy Lalonde (1947/1948): all-time all-star team ("even ahead of Vezina, on his record alone")
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the two best goaltenders Joliat had played with or against (the other being Georges Vézina)
  • Bill Cook (1951/1952): all-time all-star team

Alec Connell (*1900):
  • Tommy Gorman (1941): the best goaltender Gorman ever saw

Roy Worters (*1900):
  • Lionel Conacher (1941): "the greatest goalie who ever played"
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 third all-star team (behind Tiny Thompson and Charlie Gardiner)

Alec Connell (*1901):
  • Conn Smythe (1938): all-time all-star team

Tiny Thompson (*1903):
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): all-time all-star team
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): first all-star team among players Goodfellow had played against (ahead of Charlie Gardiner)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 all-star team (ahead of Charlie Gardiner)
  • Mickey Ion (1943/44): one of the two goalies 1930-1940 all-star team (the other being George Hainsworth)

Charlie Gardiner (*1904):
  • Hap Holmes (1937/1938): all-time all-star team ("moved so that he was in front of practically every shot")
  • Tommy Gorman (1938): all-time all-star team
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): second all-star team among player Goodfellow had played against (behind Tiny Thompson)
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'modern' all-star team
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 second all-star team (behind Tiny Thompson)
  • L.F. Earl (1943/1944): either Gardiner or Dutchy Morrison would make the all-time all-star team
  • Frank Boucher (1947/1948): all-time all-star team
  • Frank Boucher (1949/1950): all-time all-star team ("probably the greatest goaltender of them all")
  • Dick Beddoes (1961): all-time all-star team

Frank Brimsek (*1915):
  • Art Ross (1939/1940): best goaltender of all times

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
DEFENCEMEN

Hod Stuart (*1879):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Tommy Gorman (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Lester? Patrick (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Art Ross (1939/1940): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Larry Armstrong (1943/1944): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Cyclone Taylor (1947/1948): one of the best 2 defencemen Tayor had played with or against (the other was Lester Patrick)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1910-1926 all-star team

Joe Hall (*1881)
  • Jack Adams (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)

Lester Patrick (*1883):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): behind Hod Stuart and Sprague Cleghorn, but "honorable mention in several places"
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1938): all-time all-star team (with Eddie Shore)
  • Si Griffis (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): old hockey all-star team (together with Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor)
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1910-1920 all-star team
  • Cyclone Taylor (1946/1947): one of the best 2 defencemen Taylor had played with or against (the other was Hod Stuart)
  • Hap Day (1948/1949): one of the best 4 defencemen prior to 1926 (the others were Georges Boucher, Eddie Gerard and Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1910-1926 all-star team

Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (*1884):
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): old hockey all-star team (together with Lester Patrick)

Frank Patrick (*1885):
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): one of 20 skaters on the all-time all-star team

Art Ross (*1885):

George McNamara (*1886):

Sprague Cleghorn (*1890):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): all-time all-star team (together with Hod Stuart)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'oldtimers' all-star team (together with Eddie Gerard)
  • Jack Adams (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Hall)
  • Lester? Patrick (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Hod Stuart)
  • Tommy Gorman (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Hod Stuart)
  • Charles Querrie (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Gerard)
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): best right defenceman (ahead of Eddie Shore)
  • Duke Keats (1942/1943): one of the best 3 defencemen of all times
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'oldtimers' all-star team (together with Lionel Hitchman)
  • Shorty Green (1943/1944): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Gerard)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1947/1948): one of the best 5 defencemen Joliat had played with or against
  • Tommy Gorman (1947/1948): one of the best 3 defencemen of all times (the others were Georges Boucher and Eddie Gerard)
  • Hap Day (1948/1949): one of the best 4 defencemen prior to 1926 (the others were Georges Boucher, Eddie Gerard and Lester Patrick)

Eddie Gerard (*1890):
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'oldtimers' all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Charles Querrie (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): best left defenceman (ahead of Herb Gardiner)
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): modern hockey all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Shorty Green (1943/1944): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Tommy Gorman (1947/1948): one of the best 3 defencemen of all times (the others were Georges Boucher and Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the best 5 defencemen Joliat had played with or against
  • Hap Day (1948/1949): one of the best 4 defencemen prior to 1926 (the others were Georges Boucher, Sprague Cleghorn and Lester Patrick)
  • Foster Hewitt (1961): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Ace Bailey (1968/1969): best defenceman Baily ever saw (ahead of Eddie Shore)
  • Jim Coleman (1979/1980): top 10 player of all times (other defencemen: Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Bobby Orr)

Herb Gardiner (*1891):
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): second all-time all-star team
  • Newsy Lalonde (1944/1954): all-time all-star team (together with Ebbie Goodfellow)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1962): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)

Joe Simpson (*1893):
  • Duke Keats (1942/1943): all-time all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn and Eddie Shore)
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1920-1930 all-star team

Georges Boucher (*1896):
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1910-1920 all-star team
  • Tommy Gorman (1947/1948): one of the best 3 defencemen of all times (the others were Sprague Cleghorn and Eddie Gerard)
  • Hap Day (1948/1949): one of the best 4 defencemen prior to 1926 (the others were Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Gerard and Lester Patrick)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the best 5 defencemen Joliat had played with or against

Ching Johnson (*1898):
  • Bill Cook (1937/1938): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Hap Holmes (1937/1938): left defenceman on the all-time all-star team
  • Conn Symthe (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): second all-star team among players Goodfellow had played against
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 third all-star team
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'modern' all-star team (together with Earl Seibert)
  • Frank Boucher (1947/1948): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Bill Cook (1951/1952): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)

Lionel Conacher (*1900)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 second all-star team

Lionel Hitchman (*1901):
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'old-timers' all-star team (together with Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Frank Boucher (1949/1950): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)

King Clancy (*1902):
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'recent times' all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): second all-time all-star team among players Goodfellow had played against (behind Eddie Shore and Dit Clapper)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1927-1937 all-star team

Sylvio Mantha (*1902):
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1972-1939 all-star team (together with King Clancy, Eddie Shore and Earl Seibert)

Eddie Shore (*1902):
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'recent times' all-star team (together with King Clancy)
  • Bill Cook (1937/1938): all-time all-star team (together with Ching Johnson)
  • Hap Holmes (1937/1938): right defenceman on the all-time all-star team
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Lester Patrick)
  • Conn Symthe (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Ching Johnson)
  • Si Griffis (1938): all-time all-star team (together with Lester Patrick)
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): second all-star team as right defenceman (behind Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Art Ross (1939/1940): all-time all-star team (together with Hod Stuart)
  • Bill O'Brien (1941): modern hockey all-star team (together with Eddie Gerard)
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): all-time all-star team (together with Dit Clapper)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 all-star team (together with King Clancy)
  • Duke Keats (1942/1943): all-time all-star team (together with Joe Simpson and Sprague Cleghorn)
  • Larry Armstrong (1943/1944): all-time all-star team (together with Hod Stuart)
  • Frank Boucher (1947/1948): all-time all-star team (together with Ching Johnson)
  • Newsy Lalonde (1947/1948): all-time all-star team (together with Butch Bouchard)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1927-1939 all-star team
  • Frank Boucher (1949/1950): all-time all-star team (together with Lionel Hitchman)
  • Greatest player of the half century poll (1950/1951): 1 vote (out of 43), no other defencemen received any vote
  • Bill Cook (1951/1952): all-time all-star team (together with Ching Johnson)
  • Dick Beddoes (1960/1961): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Gerard)
  • Aurèle Joliat (1961): all-time all-star team (together with Herb Gardiner)
  • Ace Bailey (1968/1969): second best defenceman that Bailey saw (behind Eddie Gerard)
  • Jim Coleman (1979/1980): top 10 player of all times (other defencemen: Eddie Gerard, Dit Clapper and Bobby Orr)

Babe Siebert (*1904):

Ebbie Goodfellow (*1906):
  • Newsy Lalonde (1944/1945): all-time all-star team (together with Herb Gardiner)

Dit Clapper (*1907):
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): third all-time all-star team as forward (right wing) behind Bill Cook and Charlie Conacher
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): all-star team (D) among players Goodfellow had played against (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): third all-time all-star team as forward (right wing) behind Charlie Conacher and Bill Cook
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1939-1949 all-star team as defenceman
  • Jim Coleman (1979): top 10 player of all times

Art Coulter (*1909):
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 third all-star team
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1930-1940 all-star team (together with 3-4 other defencemen)

Earl Seibert (*1910):
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 second all-star team
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'modern all-star team' (together with Ching Johnson)
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1930-1940 all-star team
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1927-1939 all-star team

Butch Bouchard (*1919):
  • Newsly Lalonde (1947/1948): all-time all-star team (together with Eddie Shore)
  • Frank Selke (1948/1949): 1939-1949 all-star team

Ken Reardon (*1921):

Bill Quackenbush (*1922):

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Great stuff!

Dit Clapper, all-star at RW, all-star on defense.

Played 20 years (remarkable at the time) and a real classy (looking) guy.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Thanks for these!

An attempt at systemizing the information posted so far:

GOALTENDERS

Percy LeSueur (*1881):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): second all-time ("as good as Vezina, but didn't wear as well")
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1942): best goaltender
  • Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor (1946/1947): all-time all-star team

Harry 'Dutchy' Morrison (*1882):
  • L.F. Earl (1943/1944): either Morrison or Charlie Gardinerer would make the all-time all-star team

Georges Vézina (*1887):
  • Various sports writers/Charlie Good (1924/1925): all-time all-star team ("for year in and year out consistency")
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'oldtimers' all-star team ("was a wonder in the nets")
  • Sprague Cleghorn (1941): "best goaltender"
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'oldtimers' all-star team
  • Alf Smith (1943/1944): "greatest goalie of his time"
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): 1910-20 all-star team and all-time all-star team
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the two best goaltenders Joliat had played with or against (the other being George Hainsworth)

Hap Holmes (*1888):
  • Duke Keats (1942/1943): all-time all-star team

George Hainsworth (*1895):
  • Aurèle Joliat (1936/1937): 'recent times' all-star team ("outstanding in goal")
  • Bill Cook (1937/1938): all-time all-star team
  • Mickey Ion (1943/1944): one of two goalies on the 1930-1940 all-star team (the other being Tiny Thompson)
  • Newsy Lalonde (1947/1948): all-time all-star team ("even ahead of Vezina, on his record alone")
  • Aurèle Joliat (1948/1949): one of the two best goaltenders Joliat had played with or against (the other being Georges Vézina)
  • Bill Cook (1951/1952): all-time all-star team

Alec Connell (*1900):
  • Tommy Gorman (1941): the best goaltender Gorman ever saw

Roy Worters (*1900):
  • Lionel Conacher (1941): "the greatest goalie who ever played"
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 third all-star team (behind Tiny Thompson and Charlie Gardiner)

Tiny Thompson (*1903):
  • Red Dutton (1938/1939): all-time all-star team
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): first all-star team among players Goodfellow had played against (ahead of Charlie Gardiner)
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 all-star team (ahead of Charlie Gardiner)
  • Mickey Ion (1943/44): one of the two goalies 1930-1940 all-star team (the other being George Hainsworth)

Charlie Gardiner (*1904):
  • Hap Holmes (1937/1938): all-time all-star team ("moved so that he was in front of practically every shot")
  • Ebbie Goodfellow (1941/1942): second all-star team among player Goodfellow had played against (behind Tiny Thompson)
  • Cooper Smeaton (1942/1943): 'modern' all-star team
  • Jim Hendy (1942/1943): 1930-1940 second all-star team (behind Tiny Thompson)
  • L.F. Earl (1943/1944): either Gardiner or Dutchy Morrison would make the all-time all-star team
  • Frank Boucher (1947/1948): all-time all-star team
  • Frank Boucher (1949/1950): all-time all-star team ("probably the greatest goaltender of them all")
  • Dick Beddoes (1961): all-time all-star team

Frank Brimsek (*1951):
  • Art Ross (1939/1940): best goaltender of all times
Phenomenal list. Too many ahistorical fools around nowadays who don't know the sport's history.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Good stuff

As interesting as it is to see the opinions of some of these guys, as someone who browses this website a lot I can't help but think the most amusing part of this topic is seeing the recurring theme of "god these new players suck, the guys in my day would kick their ass"...in reference to the guys that get that exact same praise in relation to more recent players. Guess hockey started going downhill even earlier than we realized!

Reactions: pbgoalie

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure if this was found, and in the context of this thread it's a bit random to throw a single AST (just put it on the pile!), but in the Ottawa Journal (July 12, 1941) I found the AST of former Renfrew Millionaires and Montreal Maroons trainer Bill O'Brien, described as a keen observer. He made an AST for ''old hockey'' and one for ''modern hockey''.

Old hockey AST:

G: Riley Hern
D: Lester Patrick
D: Fred Taylor
C: Frank McGee
RW: Hay Miller
LW: Tommy Phillips

Modern Hockey AST:

G: Benedict
D: Shore
D: Gerard
C: Nighbor or Morenz
LW: Aurele Joliat
RW: Punch Broadbent

He said ''Shore of course and Eddie Gerard would make a wonderful defence."

And ''He never saw and never expects to see a faster player than Howie Morenz''

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelhockey

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Of the 1900s players, Hod Stuart and Tommy Phillips seem to have generally been regarded by consensus as the best in their respective positions.

There was a debate held in 1912 about the game's best player. The names discussed in the following article: Tommy Phillips, Hod Stuart, Fred Taylor, Ernie Johnson, Alf Smith, 'Rat' Westwick, Russell Bowie, Frank McGee, Lester Patrick

The World's Best Hockey Players
Fanning Bee Brings Out Some Candidates
The Victoria Daily Times (1884-1971); Victoria, British Columbia [Victoria, British Columbia] 30 Jan 1912: 6.

A hockey fanning bee was held at the Vancouver Arena rink recently at which many historic incidents were brought up and much talk made about the claims of different players to the title of world's best. A western man, just out from Calgary, puffed a cloud of smoke and started a heated discussion with this:

"... I'm bold enough to say that Tommy Phillips was 23 per cent better than the best man you can name. First of all he had everything -- speed, stick-handling, head and the shot. And secondly he was the cleanest man that ever played. He never deliberately scratched an opponent in his life."...

"My friend," said a Montreal man among those present, "the greatest hockey player of them all was born in Ottawa. His career was snuffed out when he was at the top of his form. The late Hod Stuart had it on them all. We have had many fine players in Ottawa, but there is not a fan who won't say without hesitation that Hod Stuart was the greatest. Hod was a big fellow, fast, and a skater. And at the Gladstone rink Ottawa people didn't applaud because he was an Ottawa boy, but because he showed himself to be a hockey player of unrivalled ability."

"This player Ernie Johnson is a great player, but he lacks something to make him the greatest," broke in a fan. "Fred Taylor is also a wonderful player and his physical stunts on the ice are marvelous. But I always believed that for real downright useful and effective playing Alf Smith and 'Rat' Westwick had something on any of them. Smith could play the wing better than any one I ever saw and I once saw him lay it ove Tommy Phillips. Westwick lacked the shot only to make him just about the greatest ever."

One prominent sporting man remarked: "... There is one great player who could have filled in his own figures in an N. H. A. contract if he wanted to participate in the 'pro' league. To my mind [Russell Bowie] was the greatest player that ever lived. What he hadn't [sic] no one ever had. We [sic] was fast and tricky and walked right in on the defence before he had ever thought of shooting. He had a great trick of... giving the referee the impression that he was injured... That was Bowie's only fault -- his propensity for faking.

"There was no doubt Bowie was a great player but there is a little fair haired fellow in Ottawa who has them all stopped." The speaker was a former backer of the Ottawa club and had campaigned with the champions through the stormy days of the commencement of the century.

"His name is Frank McGee. He could carry the puck on a straight line to the goal like a quarter-back bucks the line. And game!... He played hockey when a crack over the head was about as serious as a minor warning in the present rules of the N. H. A. and then a player with ability was a marked man. Why, he wore more pads than any man on the Ottawa team and after a bruising game would strip black and blue in front, behind, top and bottom. Incidentally he gave about as much punishment as he ever received."

Lester Patrick, of the local team, was among those mentioned as deserving of a place in the hockey hall of fame.

Ghosts of the Past
The Vancouver Sun (Evening); Vancouver, Canada [Vancouver, Canada] 29 Dec 1925: 11.

"Hod Stuart, hailed as the greatest of the Canadian professionals, who lost his life in a drowning accident long before the war..."

World's Series Not Attractive Enough, So Patrick Returns
The Victoria Daily Times (1884-1971)
; Victoria, British Columbia [Victoria, British Columbia] 15 Apr 1927: 9.

Lester [Patrick]'s success with the [New York] Rangers has established him as the outstanding hockey general in hockey...

"[Ching] Johnson is the nearest approach to the late Hod Stuart, whom I consider probably the greatest defence man of all time that I have ever seen..."
Professional Hockeyists to Start This Evening
The Vancouver Daily Province (1900-1952); Vancouver, British Columbia [Vancouver, British Columbia]05 Jan 1912: 10.

Tom Phillips was acknowledged the best wing that ever played the game when he retired two years ago and he is back again apparently just as good as ever...

Ernie Johnson, the former Wanderer star coverpoint, completes a grand defence. Johnson is acknowledged by eastern critics who should know to be the best hockey player in the Dominion today and his sensational playing in the game at Victoria on Tuesday made the spectators rise up in outbursts of enthusiasm. He never seems to tire...
Ross' All-time Team
The Victoria Daily Times (1884-1971); Victoria, British Columbia [Victoria, British Columbia] 29 Nov 1939: 13.

... the Boston Bruins' Art Ross today lined up his all-time, all-star hockey team...

"My greatest wingers of all time are Tommy Phillips, who played about 30 year ago with Kenora Thistles, and Bill Cook, who ended his competitive career with the New York Rangers not so long ago.

"I believe that Eddie Shore of the Bruins and Hod Stuart, who performed for Montreal Wanderers around 1906, are the standout defenceman the game has produced, and our own Frankie Brimsek the greatest goalie of them all..."

Last edited:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Great thread.

Ottawa boys Aurel Joliat and King Clancy getting lots of love. Both were 5'7" tall. Joliat weighed in at 136 pounds while Clancy was a robust 155 pounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad