All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bucky Gleason: Pegulas should check mirror for source of Sabres' biggest problem
Bucky Gleason: Pegulas should check mirror for source of Sabres' biggest problem

Terry Pegula has little choice now given the current state of affairs. This entire mess began when he purchased the team, when he was nothing more than a filthy-rich Sabres fan with enough money to fulfill a childhood dream. He has since found out money can't buy expertise and credibility, and it certainly doesn't buy championships.

The transition from successful businessman to sports owner is tricky, but nothing is more damaging than newbies believing they have the answers when they're completely out of their element. Imagine the disaster if a teacher or plumber or sportswriter assumed control over a natural gas and oil company. Half the country would be blown to bits.

Terry and Kim Pegula need to come clean. They need to acknowledge that they were over their heads when they purchased the Sabres, that their abundance of misguided confidence came with a shortage of know-how, that their ownership is the primary reason for overall dysfunction, that they desperately need help.

This is a timely article. It could have been written today instead of nearly 3 years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Member 308457

One thing the Pegulas have in common with all of their GM and coaching hires (besides Bylsma) is that they're all inexperienced and in way over their heads.

Reactions: debaser66

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
They give off sheltered goober vibes. Can we strand them on a desert island along with Duff and Dunleavy for like a month?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The thing is they said they gonna hire an experienced GM after they fired Murray and they hired another rookie (JB).
The rookie (JB) they hired after he fired his rookie HC (Housley) hired another HC with a non proven record (RK) even they said before they re gonna go with experience this time.

Reactions: Smiling Ivan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing is they said they gonna hire an experienced GM after they fired Murray and they hired another rookie (JB).
The rookie (JB) they hired after he fired his rookie HC (Housley) hired another HC with a non proven record (RK) even they said before they re gonna go with experience this time.

Direction statements and operation actions don’t line up over the franchise in many ways including these.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Terry: This corona beer virus stuff is pretty scary. I'm not sure it's a good idea we go to the playoffs and risk exposing our loyal fans.
Kim: Should I tell Jason to put on the brakes?
Terry: Yeah, it's too much of a risk.
Kim: What a shame. Jason said we were cup contenders. I'll let him know.
Jason: whew

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
abepegula.jpg

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reactions: Chainshot

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Interesting line of comments here, talking about Pegula still in the fracking business but business not being very good.

Lines up with comments I have made (repeating what I've heard) about Pegula seemingly not wanting to buyout contracts and the building being a dump, etc.

Maybe this is a big story that just hasn't fully broken yet...that Pegula (at least at the moment) is another Golisano.

That would make a lot of sense, actually.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Interesting line of comments here, talking about Pegula still in the fracking business but business not being very good.

Lines up with comments I have made (repeating what I've heard) about Pegula seemingly not wanting to buyout contracts and the building being a dump, etc.

Maybe this is a big story that just hasn't fully broken yet...that Pegula (at least at the moment) is another Golisano.

That would make a lot of sense, actually.

And he lost a lot of liquidity and headroom by buying the Bills.

Reactions: Chainshot

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
And he lost a lot of liquidity and headroom by buying the Bills.

That's just not true. The Bills are a gold mine and have probably been his most successful business recently with the decline in gas. These owners are profiting millions in the NFL.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

When Yes Man John Vogl is trashing you, that’s usually not a good sign. The Pegulas and the people directly beneath are asleep at the wheel. Just ignorant to everything that makes a good NHL caliber organization.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

When Yes Man John Vogl is trashing you, that’s usually not a good sign. The Pegulas and the people directly beneath are asleep at the wheel. Just ignorant to everything that makes a good NHL caliber organization.

The Sabres promo schedule is printed and available to the public, and has been for quite some time.

While I personally think that a pride night is an important event and this is another example of flawed executive level processes, this particular reaction on twitter is just more of the mob-like reactionary mentality that has come over our media and fanbase. This group needs to improve, not get raked over the coals every time they f*** up.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The Sabres promo schedule is printed and available to the public, and has been for quite some time.

While I personally think that a pride night is an important event and this is another example of flawed executive level processes, this particular reaction on twitter is just more of the mob-like reactionary mentality that has come over our media and fanbase. This group needs to improve, not get raked over the coals every time they f*** up.

I think your last sentence says it all except the need to learn every time they F up which is constantly.

They have so much bad publicity around the organization and something like this is just another example of how out of touch they are. It is embarrassing and we as fans deserve so much better. For a team that looks like it is going to go a decade with out the playoffs, they need to be so much better in every aspect of the organization.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Member 308457

There are other bad owners in sports besides Pegula.

An owner doesn't have to be cheap to be a bad owner. A bad owner like Arte Moreno of the Angels is a spendthrift like Pegula. In 2012, he engineered a $250 million (plus a piece of the team) deal for an aging 32 year old Albert Pujols, destroying the financial structure of the team, all for getting a washed-up HOF bound player. Pujols, mostly broken down, has obviously not lived up to that insane contract.

Jack Eichel might want to speak to Mike Trout to see what it's like to be a dollar wealthy but championship poor superstar. It's not worth it.

With some owners, and I'm seeing Pegula in this group, the team is terminally stuck in the mud because of their bad decision-making.

I don't see the Sabres going anywhere ever with this owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

They got some bad publicity and now they're doing a Pride Night. We're about two hours away from someone saying "we were always doing it" despite it never being on the website and no date planned as of March 5.

f***ing amateur hour over there. Get some adults in charge. This is the type of shit that gets people fired in real organizations.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They are running the team like they are cheap without coming out and saying they are cheap. All they have is the "drill another well" comment so people assume they are just going to pump money into more losing.

Regier burned them with his signings, which while an attempt to fix his failures did put the owners in public scrutiny around the league. Then he expanded his scouting staff - didn't help - and they renovated the dressing room - also didn't help win games - and then he was ousted.

They were interested in trying to find the best (read: expensive) in UFA and that failed, then they decided to go after Babs... and that failed so they jumped on "the next best option" who was Bylsma with his Cup rings blinding them from the reality of him as a limited coach. The LaFontaine issue is like something that requires an exorcism - whatever happened there has been a stain that just has permeated since.

And now more Penguin fools, albeit all smiles and character but inept.

The rink is an unkempt mess. The roster and product is too. Let's hope there is a little spike in natural gas prices to get Terry Clampett to open up the purse strings again to at least get the rink looking like a place people want to go.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's just not true. The Bills are a gold mine and have probably been his most successful business recently with the decline in gas. These owners are profiting millions in the NFL.

I absolutely agree that owning an NFL franchise is profitable (both in revenue and asset growth). I am just saying that he has a lot of capital tied up in the Bills, and with the looming stadium build, he has a lot loss liquidity than when he first bought the Sabres. That fact may change his mindset.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad