All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Let's be 100% clear here.

The Pegula's bought the Bills because they love Buffalo.

I don't disagree that was a big motivation for them.

They walked in and slapped down 200M+ over what most people thought the team would go for to end the bidding process immediately.

I h a t e what the Pegula's have done in managing the Sabres. It doesn't mean they don't love the city.

The latest Bills 'valuation' (From Forbes) is 2.15B

If the Pegula's put 1.4B into an index fund in 2014, they would have 2.58B.

While NFL teams are probably the gold standard in money making for sports teams, they still typically lag behind traditional investment vehicles.

They would have less than that after capital gains taxes. In the world of the stupid rich everything centers around tax avoidance. High valued assets that generate good income, which can also be used as security for loan cashflow, where you can write the interest off, are the holy grails. You don't just put cash in an investment account like us plebs do.

I've taken some shots at the Pegula's over the past few years for their decisions managing the Sabres. However, they have spent an ungodly amount of money on Buffalo Sports. And to be frank, I don't want them to sell the Sabres. I simply want them to hire competent people to run the team and step out of day to day operations

We mostly agree here. Again though, to me it doesn't much matter if they have failed this long being cheapskates, or burning Benjamins like crazy. I don't think they deserve special credit just because they did the latter. The results have still be abysmal.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I have an honest question: Why can't our alleged "rabid" fanbase do anything to publicly express disgust and revulsion with the monumental stupidity and disgraceful incompetence of the Pegulas? An attempt at a protest was shot down by the online Quizzing's (they know who they are) and was a disaster, we can't even get a freaking billboard like Isles and Sens fans did. Is it just nobody cares at this point? If this happened in say Philly there would've been a situation resembling the end of Mussolini a long time back. I am not calling for something violent or illegal like Terry being hung from the KBC balcony, I just want our fans to do something that sends the message that we are tired of this crap and demand it ends. Let him know he needs to start running this team like an actual NHL organization on AND off the ice or find someone he can sell to who will.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I have an honest question: Why can't our alleged "rabid" fanbase do anything to publicly express disgust and revulsion with the monumental stupidity and disgraceful incompetence of the Pegulas? An attempt at a protest was shot down by the online Quizzing's (they know who they are) and was a disaster, we can't even get a freaking billboard like Isles and Sens fans did. Is it just nobody cares at this point? If this happened in say Philly there would've been a situation resembling the end of Mussolini a long time back. I am not calling for something violent or illegal like Terry being hung from the KBC balcony, I just want our fans to do something that sends the message that we are tired of this crap and demand it ends. Let him know he needs to start running this team like an actual NHL organization on AND off the ice or find someone he can sell to who will.
Not buying tickets and merchandise is sufficient. Buffalo sports team owners are acutely sensitive to that. They don't have the same revenue opportunities as other markets. Feel free to spend your money on a billboard or protest. I'd rather rent a cabin and a boat. :laugh:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Interesting read.

This quote me me puke in my mouth a little bit...:laugh:

““We haven’t even mentioned Terry and Kim right now, on this call yet. And they’ve done so much for this city and put so much into this organization. I think about it daily. We need to make them proud and to put the product on the ice that they feel good about as well.” (-Kevyn Adams, taking every opportunity to remind us he’s just a Pegula shill)

more quotes:

For all the “if Terry would only take over from Kim” Buffalo fans:

“Though Terry Pegula has a reputation for interfering with the club's decision-making, his only maneuver to be included in hockey operations that spring came in April when, according to sources, Pegula requested the scouting staff brief him via a 30-minute conference call on the Sabres’ top 50 prospect rankings ahead of the draft.”

Kim is also an issue and shouldn’t be team president, but I never see her intervening in personnel/draft decisions. That would be Terry. Even if Kim stepped down as team president, we’d still have Terry meddling in personnel/draft/trade decisions. Seems clear to me at this point that Both need to stay out of any/all team decisions and cede control to someone who actually knows what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

Kim is also an issue and shouldn’t be team president, but I never see her intervening in personnel/draft decisions. That would be Terry.

This right here. They both should stay the f*** out of running the club. Nothing will change until that happens. Maybe having their STH numbers tank will wake them up.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
This right here. They both should stay the f*** out of running the club. Nothing will change until that happens. Maybe having their STH numbers tank will wake them up.

One of 2 things will happen next season when STH numbers are through the floor, and the building is mostly empty most nights.
  1. They will wake up and realize what they have done isn't working , and hire someone to run the place. ( It won't be an official president ; Kim is the president of every business they own.)
  2. They will bleat on about they still 'know some things' and continue to insult the fanbase's intelligence, further widening the rift.
We want #1. I predict we'll get #2.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Adams is using other resources to develop himself professionally. He listens to podcasts and reads books on the topic of leadership. Adams also has another general manager to exchange ideas with and learn from, albeit one working in a different sport.

I'm just glad our GM is listening to Podcasts to learn how to be a GM.

I mean, is there some hidden camera I'm not seeing. Is this not some absurdist prank that is being pulled on Sabres fans on a whole?

Reactions: May Day 10

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That's why you cut costs.

I'm not sure that the combined salaries of the non-contracted staff they no longer have would be material to a transaction.

I also think 'friend of John Tortorella' is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I'm just glad our GM is listening to Podcasts to learn how to be a GM.

I mean, is there some hidden camera I'm not seeing. Is this not some absurdist prank that is being pulled on Sabres fans on a whole?

I'm as skeptical of Adams' ability to right the ship as anyone, but you're getting worked up over nothing IMO. Professional development and learning is important regardless of age or previous experience. Him using outside resources to learn and grow is a good thing, provided he's actually doing it and not just saying what people want to hear from him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm as skeptical of Adams' ability to right the ship as anyone, but you're getting worked up over nothing IMO. Professional development and learning is important regardless of age or previous experience. Him using outside resources to learn and grow is a good thing, provided he's actually doing it and not just saying what people want to hear from him.

I mean, professional development usually involves using resources to improve your skillset. I'm not sure what a generic leadership podcast or book is going to do other than help him understand his employees better? In terms of Adams resume gap, its like 99% on the practical parts of running a hockey team, not whether or not he's a good manager to his employees. Just seems like more fluff in place of actual substance.

Torts friend is Bon Jovi.

I mean, we've been living on a prayer for a decade now. And we aren't halfway there.

Reactions: SackTastic

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
One of 2 things will happen next season when STH numbers are through the floor, and the building is mostly empty most nights.
  1. They will wake up and realize what they have done isn't working , and hire someone to run the place. ( It won't be an official president ; Kim is the president of every business they own.)
  2. They will bleat on about they still 'know some things' and continue to insult the fanbase's intelligence, further widening the rift.
We want #1. I predict we'll get #2.

Im sure we will get fed the 'you cant fire everyone every year' trope for awhile. Just long enough to give Adams time to feed the organization his stamp to out-do Okposo and Skinner as far as albatross contracts go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad