OT: All things Marvel/MCU (Spoilers)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I live for Alligator Loki
211887859_2915846771980396_8720168537415567965_n.png

I haven’t seen him in much outside of Lovecraft Country….but holy f*** was that an incredible debut performance by
Jonathan Majors
as
Kang the Conqueror
in
Loki

I feel like spoiler clipping his name while you leave Lovecraft Country outside the spoilers kinda defeats the purpose. :laugh:

He's a Kang. A decent one. I love idea of the same guy playing so many variants of himself.

He could just be a Nathaniel Richards, or whatever his MCU name is, that never adopted the name Kang. Will be interesting to see if and how they tie Kang into the potential/likely upcoming Fantastic Four film. With Tony Stark out of the picture and Bruce Banner basically only appearing in Avengers films, the door is open for Reed Richards and/or Nathaniel Richards to take over the MCU genius scientist role.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I loved the show, but I did not understand the last episode. I am completely u familiar with kang the conqueror or whoever it is.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

I feel like spoiler clipping his name while you leave Lovecraft Country outside the spoilers kinda defeats the purpose. :laugh:

He could just be a Nathaniel Richards, or whatever his MCU name is, that never adopted the name Kang. Will be interesting to see if and how they tie Kang into the potential/likely upcoming Fantastic Four film. With Tony Stark out of the picture and Bruce Banner basically only appearing in Avengers films, the door is open for Reed Richards and/or Nathaniel Richards to take over the MCU genius scientist role.

Psht! I could be talking about anybody from Lovecraft Country! Lol

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I loved the show, but I did not understand the last episode. I am completely u familiar with kang the conqueror or whoever it is.

I think you can enjoy without knowing sorta like when Thanos was introduced
A little on Kang
The tl;dr gist of Kang is that he came from a universe where the Earth never had a dark ages. So while in our timeline (like the main Marvel timeline) after the fall of Rome you had 800/900 years of the 'dark ages' until the Renaissance restarted science and culture in Kang's world that never happened. Science kept advancing rapidly. He was also born in the 30th century, but in that advanced world their 30th century would be more like our 38th/39th century because of them being so far ahead.

He then perfected time travel and multi-verse travel and used it to conquer worlds. He met and defeated and at times altered or created different versions of himself.

I think in terms of what we saw in this show the version we see is a person who managed to completely isolate and separate his universe/time-line from ALL OTHERS. His TVA was then a way to maintain order and prevent alternate time-lines where someone from that new timeline (possibly another version of himself) could then appear to challenge his order and mess up what he was maintaining. He appears to have grown tired of maintaining the universe and what we see at the end is now this universe (presumably the MCU) has now been shattered and is now exposed to all other multiverses and I think Loki was somehow transported to one of those and is now in an alternate TVA where a more militant version of the final boss rules.

Everything seems to be building to multiverse of madness and setting that up. I think the things we've seen till now have been glimpses beyond the 'veil' and there hasn't been a complete break until the events at the end of Loki S1. So this is how you get the Multiverses in the next Doctor Strange, this is how you possibly in the next Spider-man movie
get previous Spider-man movie characters from the past two Sony Spider-man series appear

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
A little on Kang
The tl;dr gist of Kang is that he came from a universe where the Earth never had a dark ages. So while in our timeline (like the main Marvel timeline) after the fall of Rome you had 800/900 years of the 'dark ages' until the Renaissance restarted science and culture in Kang's world that never happened. Science kept advancing rapidly. He was also born in the 30th century, but in that advanced world their 30th century would be more like our 38th/39th century because of them being so far ahead.

He then perfected time travel and multi-verse travel and used it to conquer worlds. He met and defeated and at times altered or created different versions of himself.

I think in terms of what we saw in this show the version we see is a person who managed to completely isolate and separate his universe/time-line from ALL OTHERS. His TVA was then a way to maintain order and prevent alternate time-lines where someone from that new timeline (possibly another version of himself) could then appear to challenge his order and mess up what he was maintaining. He appears to have grown tired of maintaining the universe and what we see at the end is now this universe (presumably the MCU) has now been shattered and is now exposed to all other multiverses and I think Loki was somehow transported to one of those and is now in an alternate TVA where a more militant version of the final boss rules.

Everything seems to be building to multiverse of madness and setting that up. I think the things we've seen till now have been glimpses beyond the 'veil' and there hasn't been a complete break until the events at the end of Loki S1. So this is how you get the Multiverses in the next Doctor Strange, this is how you possibly in the next Spider-man movie
get previous Spider-man movie characters from the past two Sony Spider-man series appear
Thank you kindly.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

After Endgame I was really hoping that they would go the route that they did in the comics when Tony "sort of" died and he uploaded his consciousness into the network. Then after a while reboot his body with a younger actor. And in the meantime RDJ could just do voice overs, like they already did in Spiderman. I'm still holding out hope, you just can't have the Avengers without Tony and Steve.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Search for Cinemablend on youtube and watch the finale review. Gives some history on the character, easter eggs, and what it all means going forward.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I know of the villain, but I've somehow read around all his plot lines my whole life so I was not mentally making any kind of jump to him until I came here.
Same boat. I know he was blue and green and existed but no further than that.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
A little on Kang

I agree with everything except I don't think it makes sense to have different TVAs in each timeline. The TVA should exist independent of all timelines with the ability to influence them all. While Kang was running things he kept the other timelines from running amok. Now that he's "gone" the one TVA will have their hands full with Kangs in different timelines. But then if that's true then they should have known who Loki is at the end. So I'm still confused but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I agree with everything except I don't think it makes sense to have different TVAs in each timeline. The TVA should exist independent of all timelines with the ability to influence them all. While Kang was running things he kept the other timelines from running amok. Now that he's "gone" the one TVA will have their hands full with Kangs in different timelines. But then if that's true then they should have known who Loki is at the end. So I'm still confused but I guess we'll find out eventually.

I think the TVA we watched in Loki existed in just *THIS ONE* specific multiverse that this version/variant/whatever of Kang managed to control and keep isolated from all the other multiverses. It managed this one timeline, it pruned any attempts to 'branch off' a new timeline which would have introduced then a duplicate of everything in this timeline and could have ultimately then led to having his control of the timeline challenged by giving rise to another alternate of himself.

IMO the TVA we see Loki in at the end of Season 1 is because the barrier had begun to break down once 'he who remains' gave up his device and somehow Sylvie (possibly not really being familiar with it) sent Loki to another universe where that universe had a KANG who was known to all and was also running a version of a TVA, but with his likeness known and probably everyone forced to acknowledge/worship him. Possibly a version of Kang who ruled/rules over multiple multiverses and thus has not 'blocked off' his specific universe which is why it was able to be traveled to.

It's certainly possible that the current universe somehow had been altered, but then that would also kinda go against what the MCU says their 'time travel rules' are. It's possible that Loki was sent into a new 'branch timeline' off the MCU, but then something would have needed to have caused it to have alterations in the past to branch a timeline and then him to arrive in it.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think the TVA we watched in Loki existed in just *THIS ONE* specific multiverse that this version/variant/whatever of Kang managed to control and keep isolated from all the other multiverses. It managed this one timeline, it pruned any attempts to 'branch off' a new timeline which would have introduced then a duplicate of everything in this timeline and could have ultimately then led to having his control of the timeline challenged by giving rise to another alternate of himself.

IMO the TVA we see Loki in at the end of Season 1 is because the barrier had begun to break down once 'he who remains' gave up his device and somehow Sylvie (possibly not really being familiar with it) sent Loki to another universe where that universe had a KANG who was known to all and was also running a version of a TVA, but with his likeness known and probably everyone forced to acknowledge/worship him. Possibly a version of Kang who ruled/rules over multiple multiverses and thus has not 'blocked off' his specific universe which is why it was able to be traveled to.

It's certainly possible that the current universe somehow had been altered, but then that would also kinda go against what the MCU says their 'time travel rules' are. It's possible that Loki was sent into a new 'branch timeline' off the MCU, but then something would have needed to have caused it to have alterations in the past to branch a timeline and then him to arrive in it.
Wait, you're saying that there are multiple multiverses? A multi-multiverse?
e795d3bfaa35b8843bf27b83e65a111d.gif

Reactions: Flybynite

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is more Marvel than MCU (not sure how the split is done). The Venom movie (and upcoming Venom movie), I know it is not MCU and Spiderman is not involved, but do we know if there are any plans at any time to cross over these two? I haven't seen the Venom movie because I just assumed it wasn't good because it didn't have Spiderman, but the new one looks pretty dope. Plus there is also a Morbius movie coming out. Also is the Venom movie any good?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is more Marvel than MCU (not sure how the split is done). The Venom movie (and upcoming Venom movie), I know it is not MCU and Spiderman is not involved, but do we know if there are any plans at any time to cross over these two? I haven't seen the Venom movie because I just assumed it wasn't good because it didn't have Spiderman, but the new one looks pretty dope. Plus there is also a Morbius movie coming out. Also is the Venom movie any good?

I believe the plan is for Tom Hollands Spiderman to cross over with the Sony / Marvel universe once his MCU contract is up.

The Future of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man Is Far From Certain

I think that's for the best anyway. Spidey's universe is deep enough with excellent stories and characters to be explored and separating him from the MCU will allow for that.

Give me a build-up to a Sinister Six movie.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I believe the plan is for Tom Hollands Spiderman to cross over with the Sony / Marvel universe once his MCU contract is up.

The Future of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man Is Far From Certain

I think that's for the best anyway. Spidey's universe is deep enough with excellent stories and characters to be explored and separating him from the MCU will allow for that.

Give me a build-up to a Sinister Six movie.
Is the Venom movie any good though?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
i am sorta meh on the first episode of What If...

I never understood why Marvel has tried so hard to make Peggy Carter a thing. Steve and her spend maybe an hour together before he goes in the ice...and then they make her out to be his entire world. Thats always been my least favorite part of his arc...makes no sense. Him choosing her over Bucky and Sam was ridiculous.

On top of that, they give her a tv show, and now are trying to make her a superhero? Her character shouldve been done with after she died in civil war.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I never understood why Marvel has tried so hard to make Peggy Carter a thing. Steve and her spend maybe an hour together before he goes in the ice...and then they make her out to be his entire world. Thats always been my least favorite part of his arc...makes no sense. Him choosing her over Bucky and Sam was ridiculous.

On top of that, they give her a tv show, and now are trying to make her a superhero? Her character shouldve been done with after she died in civil war.
It makes perfect sense. Dude was ignored his entire life from the fairer sex. The first woman to be nice to him became obsessed with.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It makes perfect sense. Dude was ignored his entire life from the fairer sex. The first woman to be nice to him became obsessed with.

For a normal guy, sure. But good guy Steve, who is worthy of Mjolnir, hes supposed to be above such selfish impulses. Abandoning his life long best friend, who clearly needs Steve, for some girl he spent like an hour with 80 years prior is a huge stretch and very out of character.

Watch First Avenger...the entirety of their relationship was when they were together on screen in that movie. Steve had been out of the ice for like 12 years at the end of Endgame. He had made a new life for himself, could get any girl, had seen half the globe disappear, and we are expected to believe hes still obsessed with Peggy?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
For a normal guy, sure. But good guy Steve, who is worthy of Mjolnir, hes supposed to be above such selfish impulses. Abandoning his life long best friend, who clearly needs Steve, for some girl he spent like an hour with 80 years prior is a huge stretch and very out of character.

Watch First Avenger...the entirety of their relationship was when they were together on screen in that movie. Steve had been out of the ice for like 12 years at the end of Endgame. He had made a new life for himself, could get any girl, had seen half the globe disappear, and we are expected to believe hes still obsessed with Peggy?

You haven't had a friend that keeps going back to the same girl even though they broke up a few times already?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I just finished the first Episode of What If and don't see why people are so pissy. I thought it was fine. The zombie episode is the one I really want, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad