Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
And if you throw those kids to the wolves and they get shellshocked you've just destroyed all of their confidence. I'd rather those kids be in a winning environment only playing a few games, instead of playing every game and getting beat down. Don't drop your standards just to let some kids play, set high standards to make the team and it'll make them work harder to solidify their spot.
But benching them helps their confidence? Tortorella and Larsen are from the same school of thought.

I mean seriously, Torts admitted to not playing Peeke last year because he didn’t want to “hurt his confidence”

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I would say that if you look at his actual results, there isn't really any need to excuse anything.

He has 11 pts in just 355 5v5 minutes. That's a better scoring rate than Gus, Bjorky, and Jake. Better defensive results than all of them too.

Of course some would call the results the excuses.

Geez SMH. I guess Bemstrom should be getting 20 minutes a night on the top line. You might want to go and ask Larsen why he's not following your expertise since Bemstrom has been so "outstanding" in his 5-10 minutes a night.

The most amusing part is that I like this player and have defended him multiple times over many others that have pretty much wrote him off in the past but I know that's not the motive here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Geez SMH. I guess Bemstrom should be getting 20 minutes a night on the top line. You might want to go and ask Larsen why he's not following your expertise since Bemstrom has been so "outstanding" in his 5-10 minutes a night.

The most amusing part is that I like this player and have defended him multiple times over many others that have pretty much wrote him off in the past but I know that's not the motive here.

See I was just being my normal nerdy self and telling everyone about the stats. It wasn't supposed to be personal.

Reactions: Monk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
But benching them helps their confidence? Tortorella and Larsen are from the same school of thought.

I mean seriously, Torts admitted to not playing Peeke last year because he didn’t want to “hurt his confidence”
Just because they come from the same school, doesn't mean they use the same tactics to get their point across. Somebody is getting benched, theres too many kids and not enough spots. These kids need reps to gain confidence and to play to the best of the abilities. Unfortunately for most of the "older" kids in the system, they haven't even had the opportunity to play in the AHL the last what, 2 seasons?

So if he feels someone else is more responsible and he trusts someone more, I'm gonna default to the guy who is around the players everyday. They know the players, their personalities and how they are handle adversity more than we ever could dream. I'm personally in the camp of sending all the kids to the AHL and see if we can't have another year like 2015. Let them prove they can be the go to guys in Cleveland and when they've proven themselves there and have their confidence at an all time high then they get a chance to grab a spot.

This off-season will be huge for guys like Bemmer.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Hmm. See translation below:

TAMMERFORS. Columbus forward Emil Bemström will be an offensive weapon in his first World Cup with Tre Kronor and is in fine goal form.
He is without a contract for next season, but solved that bit on his own.
- I insured myself. So it's calm, says Bemström to HockeyNews.se.
Djurgården's former shooter king Emil Bemström, 22, is facing his first WC with Tre Kronor. It has been three seasons since he scored 23 goals for Djurgården in the SHL and won the shooting league as a junior.
He comes to the World Cup after scoring in two of three matches at the Beijer Hockey Games and a total of five goals in his first six internationals. A decent conclusion. Bemström also scored a goal in his first international match with Tre Kronor 2019.
In the absence of top forwards from the NHL, right-handed shooter Emil Bemström is a toxic weapon on the left in the attack zone, not least in powerplay. Johan Garpenlöv wants it to hit the World Cup in Tampere as well.
- It's a little different. I'm getting a slightly more offensive role here right now and I think it's going to benefit me more. I'm a pretty offensive player. It will be fun to see how it turns out, says Bemström to HockeyNews.se in the mixed zone in Nokia Arena.
Columbus forward Emil Bemström is charging for his World Cup debut with Tre Kronor in Tampere. What about premiere nerves?
- Slightly. This is my first World Cup so it will be fun above all. You are a little nervous, but not very much.
When was the last time you were really nervous before a hockey match?
- It was a long time ago, actually. It was probably in the JVM, I think, or my first NHL game.
Have you learned to handle such situations?
- It does not happen very often now anymore. It is clear that you are always a little nervous otherwise you would not have been where you are today. It's mostly mental. It is important to prepare.
Emil Bemström has just finished his third season in the NHL. There were six goals and five assists in 41 games. Bemström and Columbus had hoped for more dividends.
- Well, I'm not completely happy, I must say. I know I have another level in me. I have not shown it completely, I do not think. It will be fun here to show off my offensive sides.
He will be allowed to do so in a chain with Lucas Wallmark and Örebro's returnee Mathias Bromé. Bemström has had time to get to know Wallmark as a player before the World Cup.
- He's a really good player. I have played with him in three matches and another two weeks in training. It feels good. We've found some chemistry and it's fun.
Unlike most others with outgoing NHL contracts, Emil Bemström has chosen to accept the World Cup, despite the risk of injury before negotiations on a new contract. He himself paid to insure himself for damages.
Was it expensive?
- I do not know… But it would be fun to bring home a gold, he says humbly.
Bemström seems to have a good view of the contract situation for the coming season and it is leaning towards a new NHL contract even if the World Cup can act as a carrot.
- Yes, I think I will get, maybe. I probably need to show my offensive abilities for myself.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He'll be RFA at the end of the 2 year deal with arbitration rights. Certainly a deal that works for CBJ. I'd really like to see him succeed but I just don't know that it's going to be in Columbus. the metrics and the eye test don't seem to jive but with such little ice time and his line mates.... ???? at some point it's on him to pop up and say look at me. I've seen it with his shot and a few plays but it makes me think he should be much much more... Good luck and here's to hoping for growth and success.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Time for Bemstrand to emerge!
Full disclosure, I am probably low on the Bemstrom confidence meter. He just has not ever really made me a believer.

I know what the arguments in support of him are. I am hoping to be swayed by his play.

Since we signed him, I believe he needs to play. But in a vacuum, I would probably not have had him in my opening 12.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Are we going to try to float 2 teams next year? Sounds like we almost have enough guys signed for two teams.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At 900k it looks to me he is a prime candidate for burial in the AHL.

Edit: He is not waiver exempt so maybe not. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad