Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Bemstrom with a nice move on the goalie for his goal, and a nice pass on the 2v1 to get a primary assist.

Clearly he is a great AHL player. I do wish Larsen would talk about the “little” things that Bemstrom needs to work on before returning to the NHL.

Reactions: CBJ goalie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Bemstrom with a nice move on the goalie for his goal, and a nice pass on the 2v1 to get a primary assist.

Clearly he is a great AHL player. I do wish Larsen would talk about the “little” things that Bemstrom needs to work on before returning to the NHL.

Yeah I'm curious what Lars was referring to. I didn't see any detail issues. But I guess that's why they're details.

He certainly looked better than a lot of the slugs we got in there.

Reactions: NotCommitted

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Larsen is becoming a joke and its extra frustrating because I liked a good amount of what he did a year ago. I also dont care if hes getting outside pressure from Jarmo to do certain things, if you dont have the balls to stand by your own beliefs then go coach in juniors.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Yeah I'm curious what Lars was referring to. I didn't see any detail issues. But I guess that's why they're details.

He certainly looked better than a lot of the slugs we got in there.

One thing I've noticed with Bemstrom is he's the king of blind passes. I don't think any of them have led to us giving up goals but there have been some bad TO's that I'm sure the staff isn't happy about

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One thing I've noticed with Bemstrom is he's the king of blind passes. I don't think any of them have led to us giving up goals but there have been some bad TO's that I'm sure the staff isn't happy about

As someone who has a blind pass problem in men's league, I understand how hard it is to get that stuff out of your playstyle. Part of it is patience. And we rushed Bemstrom to the NHL, so maybe because of that he never really developed the patience to do proper tape to tape play.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Is this the kind of pass you’re talking about?

If so, I do see how it could be a problem in the wrong situation. However, I do think that very good players make those passes a lot - passing to areas where guys should be. So I wonder if there might be some chemistry / hockey IQ issues with the other players on his line as well.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Is this the kind of pass you’re talking about?

If so, I do see how it could be a problem in the wrong situation. However, I do think that very good players make those passes a lot - passing to areas where guys should be. So I wonder if there might be some chemistry / hockey IQ issues with the other players on his line as well.

That one did come to mine as a positive. The others I’ve noticed have been in our zone on exits or when pressured in the neutral zone. I don’t know if it’s him panicking or lack of chemistry. Either way if he plays more those two things wouldn’t happen as often

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
That one did come to mine as a positive. The others I’ve noticed have been in our zone on exits or when pressured in the neutral zone. I don’t know if it’s him panicking or lack of chemistry. Either way if he plays more those two things wouldn’t happen as often
It certainly looks like he's trying to rush plays with the puck at times in those type of situations. Not as much as he used to IMO, but to an extent that I could still notice some residues of that "panicking" habit.

I've no idea to what Larsen was referring to with detail issues, could also be just poor positioning in his genius defensive system.

Reactions: VT and majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It certainly looks like he's trying to rush plays with the puck at times in those type of situations. Not as much as he used to IMO, but to an extent that I could still notice some residues of that "panicking" habit.

I've no idea to what Larsen was referring to with detail issues, could also be just poor positioning in his genius defensive system.
He needs to calm down when he has the puck, 100%. I think he should trust his skating and stickhandling more than he does. Also think he rushes/ forces one timers all the time unnecessarily, even though I know some here love them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Bemmer is young, he'll develop (he's only two years older than Chinachov). Unfortunately, he's one of those guys Lars doesn't trust too much, and playing in AHL won't help him, rather the opposite, Emil may degrade there. Too bad he's not a warrior like Danforth or Meyer, because of his ability to hold the puck, passing skills etc. are pretty underrated.
I wouldn't want him to turn out badly like Foudy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
playing in AHL won't help him, rather the opposite, Emil may degrade there.

I don't agree with that.

The easier competition and lower stakes will give him a chance to try extending plays and get a better feel for the puck. He might just become a more patient player.

I wouldn't mind if we kept him down there all year and see if he is improved next training camp. He won't have much trade value so we might as well see what he does.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't agree with that.

The easier competition and lower stakes will give him a chance to try extending plays and get a better feel for the puck. He might just become a more patient player.

I wouldn't mind if we kept him down there all year and see if he is improved next training camp. He won't have much trade value so we might as well see what he does.
There is a difference between NHL and AHL. He played great in AHL, but not so good in the NHL. Although I think other partners would be ideal for Bemmer, for example not Gaudreau. He played well with Robinson and Kuraly last season, Grigorenko and Roslovik the season before last. Hmm, but it was at the end of the season when Jack was playing well. 😎

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is a difference between NHL and AHL. He played great in AHL, but not so good in the NHL. Although I think other partners would be ideal for Bemmer, for example not Gaudreau. He played well with Robinson and Kuraly last season, Grigorenko and Roslovik the season before last. Hmm, but it was at the end of the season when Jack was playing well. 😎

As usual, it has nothing to do with partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad