OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XIII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
There is a terrific long article in The New Yorker that you should read. It goes a significant way to explaining a lot about what is going on in the States right now and how that shapes decision making:

How Greenwich Republicans Learned to Love Trump

The article explains why there will be a powerful constituency in favour of what Trump likely does next. Must reading.

One great quote from John Kenneth Galbrieth, 1963:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Reactions: lopey

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This needs to happen. If the masses who clamor for “individual responsibility” over government mandates show that’s it all a phony act to get their way, government mandates it is.

Wouldn’t be nearly as many divisions if individuals all just respected this thing and didn’t treat as an unnecessary inconvenience.
Agreed, on the other hand...let them expose themselves, we can't save everyone. Only negative is they might spread it... but, everyone should wear a mask to specially protect themselves.

Reactions: Maine Fan

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Fema report : 200,000 cases per day and 3000 deaths in the USA

That would be 1.5% death rate . The current death rate 5.8%

I realize these are estimates based on incomplete data . Just sayin'

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The handling of the epidemic at the federal level will now be defined completely by the President's perception of what he needs to do to get re-elected. The stock market has always been his only acknowledged, go-to score card.

It's a frightening prospect, even from a distance.

Which is a bunch of smoke and mirrors . The only reason the stock market has done well (covid-19 aside) is because he has allowed big corporations to operate tax free. It doesn't take a genius to do well in that case.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Oh No, a mutant strain of this virus that is worse? Cuomo has been talking about a strain in NY from Europe that was dormant.

Wake up America we are in trouble.

Our leader is none other than Putin's Bitch.

We need help, thanks east and west coast Governor's packs, guide us through this horrible time in our lives.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This hits the nail on the head. The issue though is that every single shmuck has a different perspective on how much risk is fair to take, right? Clearly an 85 year with lung cancer feels differently than you or me, right?

I just feel like the more defensive folks have been pinning their arguments on the words of virologists and "experts". Those same experts are meeting with governors regularly and advising them. When governors do loosen their restrictions, why all of a sudden do the people who laud the medical experts criticize those governors? Is the suggestion that the Republican state governors don't act in their own citizens' best interests (and why in the world would that ever be the case?), and the Democratic state governors do? Just leads me to think this is pure politics no matter what either side says.

Well here's why. Can you produce just one quote of an "expert" who really is an expert, in other words not Trump, who says it's a good idea to reopen things. Any governor, when considering reopening things looks at it from both an health and economic point of view. The experts only look at it from a health point of view.

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I would just ignore. I don't get how ANYONE can still be pro trump :dunno:. I really don't. He is so un-American, ignorant and cruel.

It's not only Americans who can't stand Trump, I think most of the world does too. Please vote this corrupt moron out in November, so sick of all the non-stop lies and twitter crap, just want him to go far away.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This one is my worry. Have a toddler that has already shown a real skill for getting every virus under the sun at daycare. The idea of sending her back into that plague zone terrifies me.

I already work in the public daily with people that don’t follow current events well. potentially bringing this crap home to my family, including my father who lives with us. This kind on news does nothing to make me feel any better about it.

I’ve been burning up vacation days to spend a little time at home. Thinking about going on leave but that will leave us awful tight money wise. Just a junk scenario all around.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agreed, on the other hand...let them expose themselves, we can't save everyone. Only negative is they might spread it... but, everyone should wear a mask to specially protect themselves.

Not sure that works the way you want it to though as most of these folks are likely younger. They aren't going to die from this.

But you do bring up a question I've had...to me the argument for wearing a mask (to those who would prefer not to) is not to protect oneself, it's to protect others. As a middle aged man myself, I have close to zero fear of contracting and/or dying from this and I don't know many who do. I'm much more afraid of things way more likely to kill me, so I would never wear a mask anywhere but in a closed environment. However, as a precaution to prevent passing it to elderly or at-risk folks, I'll wear one inside and have no issue being mandated to do so. People who fight that, to me, are out of line.

But, I do shudder at the notion that we would try to scare the average healthy person into thinking they need to wear a mask to save their lives. The same people we allow to drive, go to McDonalds, buy liquor or drugs legally, etc. Dying from Coronavirus, relative to many other risks, isn't even on the radar for these people. We can't lose context here.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Not sure that works the way you want it to though as most of these folks are likely younger. They aren't going to die from this.

But you do bring up a question I've had...to me the argument for wearing a mask (to those who would prefer not to) is not to protect oneself, it's to protect others. As a middle aged man myself, I have close to zero fear of contracting and/or dying from this and I don't know many who do. I'm much more afraid of things way more likely to kill me, so I would never wear a mask anywhere but in a closed environment. However, as a precaution to prevent passing it to elderly or at-risk folks, I'll wear one inside and have no issue being mandated to do so. People who fight that, to me, are out of line.

But, I do shudder at the notion that we would try to scare the average healthy person into thinking they need to wear a mask to save their lives. The same people we allow to drive, go to McDonalds, buy liquor or drugs legally, etc. Dying from Coronavirus, relative to many other risks, isn't even on the radar for these people. We can't lose context here.
It's both,...others and yourself specifically in the example I was describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad