OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m going to respectfully disagree, maybe.

People not social distancing to the best of their ability are obviously at fault. Nobody’s perfect but doing your best is expected. But you should be able to do that at a beach. If you don’t, that’s on you. I don’t see it as a reason to close a beach.

if people wont follow spacing requirements they should be removed , fined or place closed . I shouldnt have to pay with my life or my kids life because of their ignorance .

To me no different than ignoring hunting laws, drunk driving, relieving oneself in public, shooting up-and leaving needles.

Their desire of fun in the sun if not done to the new social norm should not put another’s life at risk.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
if people wont follow spacing requirements they should be removed , fined or place closed . I shouldnt have to pay with my life or my kids life because of their ignorance .

To me no different than ignoring hunting laws, drunk driving, relieving oneself in public, shooting up-and leaving needles.

Their desire of fun in the sun if not done to the new social norm should not put another’s life at risk.

This is it exactly.

People keep wanting to advocate resuming normal life prematurely with the justification of “individual freedom”.

Only problem is your individual freedom is of potentially grave consequence to others. Like you said, same as if one risks their own life getting behind the wheel drunk. Problem is you put innocent others at risk as well.

I have a great respect for the struggle that people are going through. I think we need to continue searching for ways to help people. People who can step up need to step up. And as my mother just said at an emotional dinner table conversation - “be kind to one another no matter the situation or opinion”.

But I’m sick of listening to people minimize this. The majority of whom happen to be under the belief of “let’s get back to normal”. Have respect for the reality of this situation and of life. It’s to varying degrees, but this isn’t easy for anyone. Perhaps your life is suffering due to financial difficulties. Or perhaps your life is hanging in the balance due to a great risk of succumbing to the disease if you contract it. Regardless, have respect. There’s no clear answer to this. If we had one, we’d be there already.

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
doubt that. we would have way more infections. actually, it may be in the air, but I doubt it would be enough to infect someone.

Assuming someone has the virus.
When someone coughs or sneezes around you, the virus is in the air. When someone is speaking directly at you the virus is coming out of their mouth so the virus is in the air.

So hello, what are you saying, please explain how you came to your conclusion? Thanks

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is all that matters to them, which is why they've pushed so hard for states to reopen.

Mnuchin: 'You're going to see the economy really bounce back in July, August, September'

Remember this when the second wave hits. Your life and your families lives were not as important as some hack reality tv star turned politician getting a second term.

Not being a fan of these people, the only good news is these guys are only hurting themselves. These promises that the economy is going to “bounce back” in a matter of months goes against every actual unbiased economists’ opinion. All of these assertions are completely devoid of reason other than selfish ones. The only consequence when the economy does not bounce back is bad for them. Just as it was when the seriousness of the virus was downplayed by Trump and many in his administration. They may still have their main base, but they’re missing out on opportunities to gain “rally around the flag” votes with their false assertions full of ulterior and selfish motive.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Opinion | There’s Really Only One Way to Reopen the Economy

The real disconnect here is between experts of all stripes and our politics. Those who would normally lead in the federal government seem disinclined to act fast to fund and build what we need to reopen carefully. They also seem reluctant to provide the specific guidance necessary to determine how businesses can remain safe when they do.

They describe the disconnect as one between those focused on public health and those focused on the economy, but they’re mistaken.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Who knows. Maybe this will bring back mom and pop corner stores.car hops. Drive in movies. Milk man. More liberal work from home policies.
I dont truly know what to expect except for normal to be new in some fashion.
Man I miss drive ins! Grew up about 15 minutes from one, the family would go a few times every summer.

My worry through all of this is how mom and pop stores will survive at all. It’s nice there are loans available, but they’ll have to be paid back eventually.

How many people are going to be going out to restaurants, bars, clothing stores etc when things are eased off some? I can’t see myself going to eat in anywhere in the foreseeable future. Those I talk to at work seem the same way but they are mostly in the higher risk categories.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Man I miss drive ins! Grew up about 15 minutes from one, the family would go a few times every summer.

My worry through all of this is how mom and pop stores will survive at all. It’s nice there are loans available, but they’ll have to be paid back eventually.

How many people are going to be going out to restaurants, bars, clothing stores etc when things are eased off some? I can’t see myself going to eat in anywhere in the foreseeable future. Those I talk to at work seem the same way but they are mostly in the higher risk categories.

Restaurants Are Turning Their Parking Lots into Drive-In Movie Theaters

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
China can return to normal without a vaccine. The rest of the planet must hide indoors until there is a vaccine. Sure, seems legit.
Quote Tweet
19QbYCgF_normal.jpg

ABC News
@ABC
·
BREAKING: Wuhan, where the coronavirus outbreak began, no longer has any patients hospitalized with COVID-19, China's state-run media organization Xinhua reported. Coronavirus updates: CDC adds 6 new possible symptoms of COVID-19

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://t.co/onvzU7qHyj?amp=1.
70% of Joco COVID-19 deaths are in nursing homes.

There is a disturbing trend across the board concerning nursing homes

Patients who possibly need respirators in a nursing home are NOT being transferred to hospitals and thus dying at the long care facility. We are seeing this in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Quebec, Illinois, and frankly just about everywhere.

It is horrifying

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
China can return to normal without a vaccine. The rest of the planet must hide indoors until there is a vaccine. Sure, seems legit.
Quote Tweet
19QbYCgF_normal.jpg

ABC News
@ABC
·
BREAKING: Wuhan, where the coronavirus outbreak began, no longer has any patients hospitalized with COVID-19, China's state-run media organization Xinhua reported. Coronavirus updates: CDC adds 6 new possible symptoms of COVID-19

I don't think anyone will accept any numbers from China as being realistic. The same applies to Russia.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
This is it exactly.

People keep wanting to advocate resuming normal life prematurely with the justification of “individual freedom”.

Only problem is your individual freedom is of potentially grave consequence to others. Like you said, same as if one risks their own life getting behind the wheel drunk. Problem is you put innocent others at risk as well.

I have a great respect for the struggle that people are going through. I think we need to continue searching for ways to help people. People who can step up need to step up. And as my mother just said at an emotional dinner table conversation - “be kind to one another no matter the situation or opinion”.

But I’m sick of listening to people minimize this. The majority of whom happen to be under the belief of “let’s get back to normal”. Have respect for the reality of this situation and of life. It’s to varying degrees, but this isn’t easy for anyone. Perhaps your life is suffering due to financial difficulties. Or perhaps your life is hanging in the balance due to a great risk of succumbing to the disease if you contract it. Regardless, have respect. There’s no clear answer to this. If we had one, we’d be there already.

The bolded/underlined is the issue. There are many people who have empathy for one another and most of these people are fine to follow what is suggested. Then there are some who are ME FIRST people, and of these people, it seems many want to do whatever the hell they want.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
There is a disturbing trend across the board concerning nursing homes

Patients who possibly need respirators in a nursing home are NOT being transferred to hospitals and thus dying at the long care facility. We are seeing this in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Quebec, Illinois, and frankly just about everywhere.

It is horrifying
Condemned to die.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
260,000 Words, Full of Self-Praise, From Trump on the Virus

Three journalists from The New York Times reviewed more than 260,000 words spoken by President Trump during the pandemic. Here’s what we learned.

At his White House news briefing on the coronavirus on March 19, President Trump offered high praise for the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Stephen Hahn. “He’s worked, like, probably as hard or harder than anybody,” Mr. Trump said. Then he corrected himself: “Other than maybe Mike Pence — or me.”

On March 27, Mr. Trump boasted about marshaling federal resources to fight the virus, ignoring his early failures and smearing previous administrations. “Nobody has done anything like we’ve been able to do,” he claimed. “And everything I took over was a mess. It was a broken country in so many ways. In so many ways.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad