OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No symptoms for the wife today thankfully. Her three coworkers are sicker today than yesterday and they have a four day head start on her. She came in contact with most on Friday and Saturday so I know there’s an incubation period but I’m taking every day with nothings as a huge positive. Scary thing is her nurses felt fine Sunday and Monday bam. Five patients have it and she’s had to go back Thursday if no fever. I said bull you’re calling out and she said her backups are in their 60s and would be much more dangerous if they get it than it she does: I can’t even imagine willingly going into that situation. Some I know here pray so please pray for her and all medical folks

My son is still running into some groups but the mental aspect is getting to a lot of people. Seems like lots of domestics and mental wellnekeess calls. Somehow my small town has like over 65 cases or whatnot, including 2 deaths and 10 recovered.

Messed up times.

Man, your wife and son are true heroes. I'm keeping them and their safety in my prayers.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Edit: 41 deaths now.

At least 33 transit workers have died, and more than 6,000 more have fallen sick or self-quarantined. Crew shortages have caused over 800 subway delays and forced 40 percent of train trips to be canceled in a single day. The average wait for some trains, usually four minutes, has ballooned to 40 minutes.

Since the coronavirus pandemic engulfed New York City, it has taken a staggering toll on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the agency that runs the subway, buses and commuter rails and is charged with shuttling workers — like doctors, nurses and emergency responders — who are essential to keeping the city functioning.

But the transit agency itself may have contributed to its spiraling work force crisis by largely failing to protect its workers during the early stages of the outbreak and delaying taking steps laid out in the M.T.A.’s own plan for coping with a pandemic.

The transit agency denied workers’ requests for protective equipment, was late to distribute disinfectant to clean shared work spaces and struggled to keep track of sick workers or inform their colleagues about possible exposure to the virus, according to interviews with two dozen transit workers.

33 Transit Workers Dead: Crisis Takes Staggering Toll on Subways

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
The 2002 SARS-CoV required a compatible clinical syndrome plus positive laboratory test to be called a confirmed case. However, COVID19 requires only a positive laboratory test *irrespective* of signs and symptoms to be called confirmed.

If you call your Doctor and ask for a COVID-19 test, they won't give you an order to get one unless you have a fever of 100.3+ or signs and symptoms of a repository infection i.e. cough, congestion, shortness of breath. So you are required to have signs and symptoms to even be tested. Thus the test confirms that your signs and symptoms are or are not due to COVID.

As for your other comments about the death tolls being skewed because of COVID infected people dying from complications from other comorbidities. This logic is extremely flawed. For instance under this logic we can say AIDS has never killed anybody. Under this logic the number of deaths from influenza is also off because the majority of people with the flu die from complications from other comorbidities or pneumonia.

The question is, would these people have died when they did from this other comorbidity if they didn't have COVID? The MD has the ability to make that determination on the person's death certificate.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Dr. Kass spent 24 hours in the emergency room that weekend. At some point the hours all began to bleed together as she rushed between patients. She took people’s vitals, listened for wheezing and looked for evidence of pneumonia, and offered words of comfort to others in a panic. She was careful to wear gloves, an N-95 mask and goggles. No patients coughed on her directly, and she got home figuring she was safe from infection, for now.

That Monday, Dr. Kass woke up with a jolt of pain shooting up her back. Her whole body felt heavy, fatigued. “Wow, am I so out of shape I can’t work two shifts in a row?” she wondered. She noticed, too, that her senses were blunted; a cup of coffee tasted like water. But she pressed ahead with her day — she had patients to see virtually, using telemedicine, many of them showing coronavirus symptoms, and she didn’t want to cancel.

The next day, Dr. Kass developed a hacking cough. It grew worse by the hour, and her breath began to quicken. Even the thought of walking up a flight of stairs was exhausting; the idea of cycling, as she normally does, was “unfathomable.” She did a telemedicine visit to urgent care and was told to get tested for the virus. Her results came back that Thursday night: positive, Covid-19.

Last week, Dr. Kass moved into the Four Seasons hotel, in midtown Manhattan, which is offering free accommodations for medical personnel. After her house was cleaned and sanitized, her kids came home on Friday to Brooklyn.

This Sunday, three weeks after her initial exposure in the emergency room, Dr. Kass returned for her first shift post-infection. Three hours into that shift, she got a call with good news: Her antibody test showed she was immune and eligible to donate plasma for Covid-19 clinical trials, which are testing whether blood transfusions from recovered Covid-19 patients can be used for treatment of the disease.

Now, mingled with her relief, Dr. Kass feels a sense of urgent purpose. “Because I’m immune, I feel like I have a sense of responsibility,” she said. “I feel empowered by my own antibodies.”

‘Thanking God for My Breath’: Dispatch From New York’s Frontline

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dr. Kass spent 24 hours in the emergency room that weekend. At some point the hours all began to bleed together as she rushed between patients. She took people’s vitals, listened for wheezing and looked for evidence of pneumonia, and offered words of comfort to others in a panic. She was careful to wear gloves, an N-95 mask and goggles. No patients coughed on her directly, and she got home figuring she was safe from infection, for now.

That Monday, Dr. Kass woke up with a jolt of pain shooting up her back. Her whole body felt heavy, fatigued. “Wow, am I so out of shape I can’t work two shifts in a row?” she wondered. She noticed, too, that her senses were blunted; a cup of coffee tasted like water. But she pressed ahead with her day — she had patients to see virtually, using telemedicine, many of them showing coronavirus symptoms, and she didn’t want to cancel.

The next day, Dr. Kass developed a hacking cough. It grew worse by the hour, and her breath began to quicken. Even the thought of walking up a flight of stairs was exhausting; the idea of cycling, as she normally does, was “unfathomable.” She did a telemedicine visit to urgent care and was told to get tested for the virus. Her results came back that Thursday night: positive, Covid-19.

Last week, Dr. Kass moved into the Four Seasons hotel, in midtown Manhattan, which is offering free accommodations for medical personnel. After her house was cleaned and sanitized, her kids came home on Friday to Brooklyn.

This Sunday, three weeks after her initial exposure in the emergency room, Dr. Kass returned for her first shift post-infection. Three hours into that shift, she got a call with good news: Her antibody test showed she was immune and eligible to donate plasma for Covid-19 clinical trials, which are testing whether blood transfusions from recovered Covid-19 patients can be used for treatment of the disease.

Now, mingled with her relief, Dr. Kass feels a sense of urgent purpose. “Because I’m immune, I feel like I have a sense of responsibility,” she said. “I feel empowered by my own antibodies.”

‘Thanking God for My Breath’: Dispatch From New York’s Frontline

what a legend

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
According to the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University, a quarter of the nation’s 44 million renter households paid more than half their income in rent in 2018. Separate research from the Federal Reserve showed four in 10 Americans would have difficulty covering a sudden $400 expense, suggesting that tens of millions of tenants are just a week of missed work away from falling behind on their housing bills.

For the past four years, rent increases have helped stir a nationwide tenant uprising that led to the biggest expansion of tenants’ rights in decades. Rent control laws were enacted in New York, Oregon and California, and tenants organized mass actions, like a group of mothers in Oakland who occupied an empty house for two months to protest house flipping.

Now, after years of coordination, organizers see the coronavirus pandemic as a galvanizing force. Last week, the Right to the City Alliance, a national coalition of tenant and racial-justice organizations, held a digital #CancelRent rally to call for rents to be eliminated as long as people can’t work. Homes Guarantee, a national tenants’ campaign, has been holding weekly strategy calls.

“This is a moment of clarity about a broken system in which 11 million people were already paying over 50 percent of their income on rent,” said Tara Raghuveer, a tenant organizer in Kansas City and director of Homes Guarantee.

Rents Are Late, and ‘It’s Only Going to Get Worse’

Reactions: Over the volcano

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The Wisconsin story pisses me off. If anyone gets sick it is on the officials who could give two shits about the very people they serve.

If you're listening to what celebrities have to say about the pandemic, you need to take some time to re-examine your choice of "news" sources.

I'm concerned about the sudden shift and downplaying of the model numbers. I hope to hell they are right but I fear that people are going to take it as a sign that things aren't that bad and they don't need to continue to social distance and all of that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
No symptoms for the wife today thankfully. Her three coworkers are sicker today than yesterday and they have a four day head start on her. She came in contact with most on Friday and Saturday so I know there’s an incubation period but I’m taking every day with nothings as a huge positive. Scary thing is her nurses felt fine Sunday and Monday bam. Five patients have it and she’s had to go back Thursday if no fever. I said bull you’re calling out and she said her backups are in their 60s and would be much more dangerous if they get it than it she does: I can’t even imagine willingly going into that situation. Some I know here pray so please pray for her and all medical folks

My son is still running into some groups but the mental aspect is getting to a lot of people. Seems like lots of domestics and mental wellness calls. Somehow my small town has like over 65 cases or whatnot, including 2 deaths and 10 recovered.

Messed up times.

prayers to your family, lou. and to all the heroes out there putting themselves in harm's way.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Rumors and patently unbelievable claims are spread by everyday people whose critical faculties have simply been overwhelmed, psychologists say, by feelings of confusion and helplessness.

But many false claims are also being promoted by governments looking to hide their failures, partisan actors seeking political benefit, run-of-the-mill scammers and, in the United States, a president who has pushed unproven cures and blame-deflecting falsehoods.

The conspiracy theories all carry a common message: The only protection comes from possessing the secret truths that “they” don’t want you to hear.

The feelings of security and control offered by such rumors may be illusory, but the damage to the public trust is all too real.

It has led people to consume fatal home remedies and flout social distancing guidance. And it is disrupting the sweeping collective actions, like staying at home or wearing masks, needed to contain a virus that has already killed more than 79,000 people.

“We’ve faced pandemics before,” said Graham Brookie, who directs the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab. “We haven’t faced a pandemic at a time when humans are as connected and have as much access to information as they do now.”

This growing ecosystem of misinformation and public distrust has led the World Health Organization to warn of an “infodemic.”

“You see the space being flooded,” Mr. Brookie said, adding, “The anxiety is viral, and we’re all just feeling that at scale.”

Why Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories Flourish. And Why It Matters.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Elena Aprile was in a race against time.

Her Xenon experiment, one of the world’s largest and most expensive investigations into the nature of dark matter, was coming together beneath Gran Sasso, a mountain in Italy. But Dr. Aprile, a Columbia University physics professor, was stuck in her apartment in Brooklyn as New York entered an indeterminate period of lockdown to contain the spread of the new coronavirus, and she was “living on Cheerios and milk,” she said.

In Italy, about a month into its own lockdown, a skeleton crew was trying to finish assembling her experiment’s expensive and delicate detector and safely seal it in place deep below the mountain’s rocks, before the virus brought down the hammer on even this much group activity.

What followed was an illustration of how some science is managing to get done during a plague. At stake was perhaps nothing less than the secret of the universe.

Astronomers have reluctantly concluded over the last half-century that most of the matter in the universe is invisible. They suspect that this invisible stuff consists of giant cosmic clouds of subatomic particles called “wimps,” for weakly interacting massive particles, left over from the Big Bang.

Mostly impervious to normal forces like electromagnetism, these particles drift through the world, and through us, like ghosts through a wall.

In the quest to spot them, physicists have built a succession of bigger and bigger detectors. But as they’ve gained greater and greater clarity, they have seen no wimps, which has created a crisis in physics.

Will Coronavirus Freeze the Search for Dark Matter?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
PALM BEACH, Fla. — Ah, to be quarantined inside a luxury beachfront hotel. Ocean views. Poolside cabanas. A makeshift financial trading floor.

When Citadel Securities, a sibling to the hedge fund company Citadel, decided to isolate a team of stock traders to keep business humming during the coronavirus pandemic, the firm’s billionaire founder, Kenneth Griffin, secured sumptuous Florida quarters: the Four Seasons hotel in Palm Beach.

The firm booked the hotel for New York and Chicago traders just before Palm Beach County put a hold on March 26 on new hotel reservations, and it began operations there on March 30. A few days later, Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a stay-at-home order across Florida.

The resort is guarded by off-duty officers from the Palm Beach Police Department who are hired by Citadel Securities. No one other than employees for the firm or the hotel is allowed inside. Mr. Griffin, a prominent political donor and top contributor to Mr. DeSantis, a Republican, owns property nearby and is not staying at the hotel.

In a memo Citadel Securities sent to employees on April 1, the firm described setting up the Palm Beach site from scratch in less than a week. The location can accommodate up to 50 employees if needed, the memo said.

“Consistent with our position as one of the largest market makers globally, we believe this business continuity decision is prudent to continue providing liquidity to our retail and institutional clients,” Zia Ahmed, a spokesman for Citadel Securities, said in a statement on Tuesday.

No Trading Floor? No Problem. A Financial Firm Quarantines at the Four Seasons.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
My brother & I just received this text message this morning from a close friend who works as a mailman for the USPS:

“I want to give you a guys a heads up. Wear gloves when you touch or open your mail. Multiple people in the plant in providence tested positive. They had 100 call outs yesterday and 160 call outs today. The cdc isn’t sure if or how long the virus can stay on mail. But all of the mail for this entire area goes through that plant before it gets to you.”

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My brother & I just received this text message this morning from a close friend who works as a mailman for the USPS:

“I want to give you a guys a heads up. Wear gloves when you touch or open your mail. Multiple people in the plant in providence tested positive. They had 100 call outs yesterday and 160 call outs today. The cdc isn’t sure if or how long the virus can stay on mail. But all of the mail for this entire area goes through that plant before it gets to you.”
I have been spraying mine with Lysol before I even get in my door. My neighbor thinks I am nuts. Oh and I wash my hands once I get in the house.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The French didn't find a need to fire their Captain.

The French navy's flagship, the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, is returning to home port after dozens of crew members showed signs of COVID-19, the armed services ministry announced Wednesday.

In a statement, the ministry said aboard the vessel "around forty sailors are today under close medical observation. They are showing symptoms consistent with possible COVID-19 infection."

"The first cases showed symptoms recently," the ministry said. "There are no signs of aggravated cases among the patients."

Following joint exercises in the Baltic Sea with other European navies, the carrier was originally scheduled to return to the Mediterranean port of Toulon on April 23, but following the likely cases aboard, it was ordered back early, according to the website Naval News.

French Aircraft Carrier Returns To Port After Suspected COVID-19 Cases Found Aboard

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
More than half of Americans now say the federal government has poorly managed the coronavirus' spread within the United States, according to a new survey, and a majority also disapprove of President Donald Trump's handling of the public health crisis.

A CNN poll released Wednesday reports that 55 percent of respondents think the federal government has done a "poor job" of preventing the spread of Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, while 41 percent think it has done a "good job" working to thwart the disease's transmission. Four percent said they had no opinion.

Those ratings represent a growing discontent with the federal government's response when compared with the previous iteration of the CNN poll, conducted late last month. In that survey, more Americans said the federal government was doing a "good job" of preventing the spread of Covid-19 than those who said it was doing a "poor job," by a margin of 48 percent to 47 percent. Five percent of respondents in the earlier poll said they had no opinion.

Poll: Majority of Americans now disapprove of federal coronavirus efforts, Trump's handling of crisis

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I have been spraying mine with Lysol before I even get in my door. My neighbor thinks I am nuts. Oh and I wash my hands once I get in the house.
Nothing nuts about that. Better to be over cautious. We’ve been using gloves when checking the mail and we let it sit 3 days before opening.

My younger sister is a doctor currently working at two temporary coronavirus rehab stations. She says close to half of their patients claim to not have traveled other than heading out for gas & groceries, and were basically in self quarantine. Gloves & Lysol are an essential part of life right now.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Trump set out Tuesday to cement his image of a wartime leader facing down an "invisible enemy" at a dark moment as the country waits for the virus to peak and with the economy languishing in suspended animation.

"What we have is a plague, and we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel," the President said, on a day when a record number of Americans succumbed to the wicked respiratory disease.

But instead of putting minds at rest, Trump's wild performance instead put on a display many of the personal and political habits that have defined his tumultuous presidency. It was a troubling spectacle coming at such a wrenching chapter of national life, the kind of moment when Presidents are called to provide consistent, level leadership.

To begin with, Trump sparked concern that he will prevent oversight of the disbursement of economic rescue funds by removing a watchdog official responsible for overseeing the $2 trillion package. The move, coming after Trump ousted an intelligence community inspector general last week, was yet another sign that an already impeached President is using the cover of the worst domestic crisis since World War II to further erode constraints on his power.

Then Trump insisted he hadn't seen January memos by a top White House official warning about the pandemic at the same time the President was dismissing it as a threat.

He also announced he was placing a "very powerful hold" on funding for the World Health Organization, even though it correctly identified the scale of the virus and he didn't. Then moments later, he insisted he did no such thing.

Adding to the sense of farce, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham was moved out, without ever having given a briefing, on yet another day of staff turmoil. CNN's KFile reported Tuesday that her replacement, Kayleigh McEnany, recently said that thanks to the President, "we will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here."

Trump's White House in chaos on coronavirus' most tragic day - CNNPolitics

Reactions: Ladyfan

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Nothing nuts about that. Better to be over cautious. We’ve been using gloves when checking the mail and we let it sit 3 days before opening.

My younger sister is a doctor currently working at two temporary coronavirus rehab stations. She says close to half of their patients claim to not have traveled other than heading out for gas & groceries, and were basically in self quarantine. Gloves & Lysol are an essential part of life right now.
Doing the same with all mail & packages. Gloves, then it sits in the garage for a few days. The outer packaging doesn’t come in the house. I think @talkinaway originally gave me the idea. Thanks bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad