OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part V - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I am very calm as I don't know who it is that tested positive (and they won't tell us) and I have been working for a week at home. I am sure someone will find out who it is.

I do have an old fashion thermometer. My normal temp runs low. Unfortunately even though I rarely get really sick I tend to run high fevers once I do . I have had walking pneumonia twice but it was a long time ago.
Susan,here in Canada. when someone are confirmed positive they ask where, when and who they had contact with... then people from health care calls them to let them know and what to do, who to call if the symptoms get worst. In order to have it in under control, quarantine and for when testing is needed.

They don't do that in the US?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Susan here in Canada when someone are confirmed positive they ask where, when and who they had contact with... then people from health care calls them to let them know and what to do, who to call if the symptoms get worst. In order to have it in under control, quarantine and for when testing is needed.

No. According to our HR message there is privacy laws . Gossip may reveal who . I am lucky that I am able to work from home.

Reactions: lopey

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
sad times in the USA

I feel so bad for my American friends. In Ontario, our premier was likened to your president, and I agreed with that view. During this pandemic I am eating my words, he has been very good and I am relieved how it is being handled. It speaks volumes as to leadership, even though he was destroying our province in many ways before this hit, he looks shell shocked now and is doing all the right things.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
A commercial aircraft carrying gloves, masks, gowns and other medical supplies from Shanghai touched down at Kennedy International Airport in New York on Sunday morning, the first in a series of roughly 20 flights that White House officials say will funnel much-needed goods to the United States by early April.

The plane carried 130,000 N-95 masks, nearly 1.8 million surgical masks and gowns, tens of thousand of gloves and more than 70,000 thermometers. The Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide the majority of the supplies to New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, with the rest going to nursing homes in the area and other high-risk areas across the country, a White House spokesman said.

The pandemic has sparked a race among foreign governments, American governors and mayors, good Samaritans and opportunists to acquire protective gear, ventilators and other goods from China, the source of more than one-third of medical supplies in the United States in 2019. While China’s own coronavirus epidemic has subsided since February, newly built factory lines in the country are beginning to churn out masks, gowns and gloves.

Coronavirus Live Updates: State and City Leader Clamor for Medical Supplies as U.S. Cases Top 135,000

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Even amid the coronavirus crisis, the tragedy unfolding in Spain’s nursing homes has shocked a nation that takes pride in its reverence for older people and in its health care system.

“We have really kept a welfare state and a strong family support structure, but this terrible news coming from nursing homes must also force us to acknowledge some very serious deficiencies,” Marina Subirats, a well-known, Barcelona-based sociologist, said in a telephone interview.

El País, the country’s leading newspaper, wrote in an editorial that the deplorable situation in some nursing homes had exposed “a bitter black hole in our welfare state.”

Another source of pride for the Spanish has been the country’s robust public health care system; last year, a study ranked Spain as the world’s healthiest country. But that part of the national self-image has also taken a beating from a pandemic that has overwhelmed many hospitals and sickened thousands of health care workers.

Spain’s official death count from Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, has climbed to about 6,500. Only Italy, at more than 10,000, has had more fatalities.

A Deluged System Leaves Some Elderly to Die, Rocking Spain’s Self-Image

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
A commercial aircraft carrying gloves, masks, gowns and other medical supplies from Shanghai touched down at Kennedy International Airport in New York on Sunday morning, the first in a series of roughly 20 flights that White House officials say will funnel much-needed goods to the United States by early April.

The plane carried 130,000 N-95 masks, nearly 1.8 million surgical masks and gowns, tens of thousand of gloves and more than 70,000 thermometers. The Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide the majority of the supplies to New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, with the rest going to nursing homes in the area and other high-risk areas across the country, a White House spokesman said.

The pandemic has sparked a race among foreign governments, American governors and mayors, good Samaritans and opportunists to acquire protective gear, ventilators and other goods from China, the source of more than one-third of medical supplies in the United States in 2019. While China’s own coronavirus epidemic has subsided since February, newly built factory lines in the country are beginning to churn out masks, gowns and gloves.

Coronavirus Live Updates: State and City Leader Clamor for Medical Supplies as U.S. Cases Top 135,000

I think manufacturing medical supplies should be a top priority for USA and Canada going forward. Perhaps less mfg of weapons of war going forward as well.

Reactions: veganbruin

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
No. According to our HR message there is privacy laws . Gossip may reveal who . I am lucky that I am able to work from home.
That is what countries do around the world to contain the spread... tracking down who else got contaminated. Even in the movies it's what they do... everywhere but the US?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

that’s interesting. Here in Mass we have to inform Mass Dept of Health. Then we also contact the individuals (HR does) and informs them that personX they work with has let company know that person X was or may have been in contact with you in the past 14 days.

we then advise taking temperature routinely and advise that now mandatory quarantine from work for minimum of 14 days.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I think manufacturing medical supplies should be a top priority for USA and Canada going forward. Perhaps less mfg of weapons of war going forward as well.
Totally agree. But you know there's more money in weapons than medical supplies.

Reactions: Chestus

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
that’s interesting. Here in Mass we have to inform Mass Dept of Health. Then we also contact the individuals (HR does) and informs them that personX they work with has let company know that person X was or may have been in contact with you in the past 14 days.

we then advise taking temperature routinely and advise that now mandatory quarantine from work for minimum of 14 days.
Like everywhere.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

if nothing else all nations should over time stockpile for the NEXT pandemic. Because there will be a next and what is needed will be the same. Masks, gowns, gloves, sanitants, , respiratory equipment, etc,,,etc,,

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Susan,here in Canada. when someone are confirmed positive they ask where, when and who they had contact with... then people from health care calls them to let them know and what to do, who to call if the symptoms get worst. In order to have it in under control, quarantine and for when testing is needed.

I would take that as you weren't exposed because even without revealing the name I have to assume that they would warn/mention your contact and ask you to quarantine. I'd hope they got in touch with relevant people. If they're not - then that's simply wrong.

Never mind the gov't/health officials. If I tested positive I'd be trying to spread the word to anyone that I had the chance of infecting as quickly as possible.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Last edited by a moderator:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I always thought that if you got COVID, they DID go through contacts, and notifications would be two types: Early on, if you were at such-and-such a store at a certain time, they'd notify the public (ie the CVS on Washington Street between 9 and 10 AM on Saturday). I did see a couple of these around Boston way early in this epidemic. Or, if you had a personal contact, the health department would contact your contacts "on your behalf", and just say that you were exposed. So if I worked right next to Bob, and I came down with COVID, the health department would contact Bob for me, but just say that "he was near someone" - not specifically revealing who.

Granted, in some cases, it might have the effect of unintentionally pinpointing who the contact is, particularly if you get notified and you've been REALLY "good" about clamping down on all contacts. And there's exact the definition of "close contact" - if my asymptomatic Instacart person later comes down with COVID, but it's a contactless drop-off, do I "need" to be contacted? Probably not...although it CAN live on boxes and the like, the primary means of transport is person-to-person, meaning I'd only be at risk if I, say, signed a receipt or handed over a credit card or a tip.

But given that COVID is so wide-spread now, it's probably not all that useful in knowing specifically if you've been exposed - if you've been out, you should at least act as if you've been exposed (ie stay at home, etc.) And monitoring your temperature is also a good idea - you can catch any upward trend, although your body temperature does vary throughout the day.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
after ranting a few times... here's a painting I did - just to give you guys something else to look at and think about.

quiet time 55 x 74.jpg

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
this virus has changed the world, I would like to see a huge infrastructure investment in hospitals, healthcare, protective equipment, nurses, doctors etc. Hard for commerce to exist when we are all inside in quarantine
My wife is a Licensed Practical Nurse for VON in Halifax. I work stocking shelves at Costco. She has saved multiple lives over the years, and she gets pretty much the same hourly wage as I do...that has never made sense to me.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

They did say they had to inform the Mass Dept of Health. I would hope they would let the people who worked close know.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
[QUOTE="b in vancouver, post: 171792142, t the willful ignorance and playing politics coming out of the White House is mind-boggling. There's a very real possibility that me, you and the dog are going to know people that either die, are seriously ill or have their finances destroyed because of the inability of The President to be a grown-up.

.[/QUOTE]

I already know somebody that died from our Bridgewater NJ site.
A coworker. Died last Thursday, In his 50s with no known other health issues. Left a wife and two teenage kids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad