OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part V - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
“I would love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter"

“We have to put the country to work. You’re going to lose a number of people to the flu but you’re going to lose more people by putting the country into a massive recession”

"We lose thousands of people a year to the flu but we never turned the economy off. We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up automobile manufacturers to say, ‘Stop making cars, we don’t want them anymore,'” he said.

Trump described the decision to shut down the country as the most difficult of his presidency.

“It’s been very painful for our country and very destabilizing for our country and we have to go back to work much sooner than previously thought,” he said.

Reactions: blazenlo

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The FDA has said that anesthesia respirators at Outpatient Surgical centers can fairly easily be converted to ventilators. Have to think there would be a lot of them,would think Plastic surgery clinics would also have them,

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He was quoted as saying Easter. He however said he meant that was a timeline which is fair enough. Dr. Fauci said it’s flexible which again was a smart answer. Could it open.. yes... don’t hold your breath though.
Possibly certain States obviously not NY.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yes I believe, now I’m not sure how things necessarily work in the US ,but wouldn’t it be individual States calls anyway .
It's hard to find the whole quote, as a lot of the media only quotes the part that fits their narrative, regardless or which "side" they report for, but it looks like during his afternoon briefing, he was more careful in setting expectations:
"We will assess at that time and give it more time if we need a little more time." (realclearpolitics)
and
"I want to assure Americans that we have a team of public health experts ... also economists and other professionals, working to develop a sophisticated plan to reopen the economy as soon as the time is right, one based on the best science, the best modeling and the best medical research there is anywhere on earth," (NPR)

Wish he had included this reassess piece earlier. I also think the media pounced on his original statements as a definitive declaration that the country would "open back up" by Easter.

As for states, it's a combination I think. I know here in AZ, the governor declined to issue a shelter in place order, but did issue an executive order requiring cities and town coordinate and act consistently with advice from the state Dept of Health Services. Other states that have enacted shelter in place orders would have to lift them individually, and and likely could not be ordered to do so by the federal government. Interesting application of the 10th Amendment that I'm certain the founding fathers never envisioned!

Reactions: blazenlo

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Driving home from an errand and seeing people golfing. Lots of cars out too. What the hell people.
Some golf courses are giving a cart to each person. You can golf with a 4 some, and never be closer than 10 ft from each other. You need to get out, otherwise you will go insane. Go for a walk, bike ride, just be smart about it.

Reactions: sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Freezers

You wouldn’t think a pandemic would be the time you’d start shopping for appliances, but plenty of people went in search of them this month. In particular, they wanted freezers — the better to stockpile food. Freezer searches climbed 440% this month compared with the first two weeks of February according to data by Slickdeals, an online coupon company that monitors e-commerce shopping traffic.
Bidets

When all the toilet paper sold out at grocery stores, shoppers began hunting for another solution: bidets. Searches for the bathroom fixture jumped 304% this month compared with the first two weeks of February according to Slickdeals. (The firm’s data also showed searches for toilet paper were still high — up 7,000%.) At New York-based bidet startup Tushy, “Sales have been up about [tenfold], which is pretty crazy,” CEO Jason Ojalvo told the "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">New York Post.
Weapons

In San Francisco, business was brisk at gun stores last week amid the state’s shelter-in-place order to stem the tide of new Covid-19 cases. And there are signs that sales of guns and ammo are "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">increasing nationwide. As one customer told the "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">San Francisco Chronicle, “If society is unraveling, it’s up to us to protect ourselves.”

https://marker.medium.com/the-unlikely-products-selling-out-because-of-coronavirus-486b7f55a6d5
PA governor quietly moved gun stores off the non-essential list on advice from some judges.
Who waits til the apocalypse to stock up on freezers, TP, and guns?
(Piss poor planning)

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
PA governor quietly moved gun stores off the non-essential list on advice from some judges.
(Piss poor planning)

agree. i get teased a lot at work and by friends because I like to be prepared. guess how many calls and texts i have received asking if they can "borrow" stuff from me now. Sorry people I plan ahead so my family will be okay in case of emergency or financial need.

I have guns, TP and a stocked freezer and its all for me and my family.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I’m supposed to believe that Easter was picked because it’s very special to someone?

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I live in the city. We have no stars.

It was rough at work and home.

It is so hard not to be upset that my sister doesn’t get to have the graduation ceremony she deserves. She went through hell to get her PhD and to not see her walk across the stage is a tough pill to swallow.
It’s so sad.
Lots of folks aren’t going to be going to proms, graduating, getting married, holding their loved one’s hands at critical times, or - possibly worst of all - burying their dead.
No denying it’s a shitshow, Ali.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
agree. i get teased a lot at work and by friends because I like to be prepared. guess how many calls and texts i have received asking if they can "borrow" stuff from me now. Sorry people I plan ahead so my family will be okay in case of emergency or financial need.

I have guns, TP and a stocked freezer and its all for me and my family.
My husband got mad at me because I offered TP to his sister.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
so i am still reading thru the bill proposed by the democrats and on page 135 there is a salary and expense increase for the house of representatives. Are you kidding me you are putting in a raise for yourself during the time when all of america needs help.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
so i am still reading thru the bill proposed by the democrats and on page 135 there is a salary and expense increase for the house of representatives. Are you kidding me you are putting in a raise for yourself during the time when all of america needs help.

I for one am shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that our politicians are exploiting tragedy and crisis for political gain.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Tar and feather category there. Unreal and whoever put forward that amendment to the bill should be first page news across the country and go into hiding from tomorrow. Despicable.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
(Piss poor planning)
This reminds me of the naysayers and blaming the media.
I bought what was needed well before TP started to disappear.
It's called planning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad