OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Opinion | How New York Survived the Great Pandemic of 1918

In October the pandemic struck with full force. On Oct. 4 physicians reported 999 new cases during the previous 24 hours. On Oct. 9 that doubled to 2,000. On Oct. 11 the count rose to 3,100. The next day there were 4,300 new instances. And on Oct. 19 4,875 new cases were tallied.

Fatalities followed along. On Oct. 6, 126 died; 297 perished the following day. Over 400 succumbed on Oct. 16, and the daily death count fluctuated between 400 to 500 from Oct. 16 to 26. On Oct. 30 Mayor John Hylan dispatched 75 men to the Calvary Cemetery to help inter bodies that had overflowed the facility’s receiving vault.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
hopefully this helps out and other retailers follow :

Stop & Shop gives union employees raises, more sick leave to help with COVID-19 - The Boston Globe

Stop & Shop will give its union workers a 10 percent raise during the worldwide coronavirus pandemic and provide an additional two weeks of paid leave to workers who become sick with COVID-19, according to a statement from the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.

The raise and the paid leave will go to all employees of Stop & Shop and its Peapod delivery service who are members of the union, which includes more than 70,000 workers across Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey. The policies will last at least through May 2.

“This essential pay and benefit increase will not only protect these hard-working men and women, it will help protect the food supply throughout our communities,” Marc Perrone, the union’s president, said in the statement.
The new president who took over after the strike has been really good at taking care of us since this whole thing started. They didn’t have to do this. When word got out this morning people were shocked. It was also a great shot of adrenaline for a lot of us who have been living in the stores pretty much since last Wednesday.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The new president who took over after the strike has been really good at taking care of us since this whole thing started. They didn’t have to do this. When word got out this morning people were shocked. It was also a great shot of adrenaline for a lot of us who have been living in the stores pretty much since last Wednesday.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I will never hear this song the same way again :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

FB_IMG_1584821295496.jpg

Reactions: bb74

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Earlier this week we found out that my brother in law may have been exposed as his assistant manager suddenly called out with a 101 fever.

This would mean my sister would be exposed and also my mother as she had lunch with her on the 11th. I saw my mom last weekend for a few hours but we social distanced the entire time.

The CDC guidelines say I am good but I am self isolating for the 14 days and my mom is up on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

So far so good as none of us have shown any symptoms. Fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The federal government has a chance to save millions of Americans from unemployment as the coronavirus spreads, but policymakers must act decisively.

Employers, facing a revenue drought, are laying off workers at a record pace. Preliminary data indicates that more people filed for unemployment benefits last week than in any previous week in the nation’s history, shattering a record set back in 1982.

The mass layoffs are depriving families of income and, what is perhaps more important in the middle of a pandemic, leaving many without health insurance, too.

The necessary solution is a grand bargain: The federal government provides the money that companies are unable to earn, and companies use the money to keep workers on the payroll.

Opinion | How to Avoid Complete Economic Destruction

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Earlier this week we found out that my brother in law may have been exposed as his assistant manager suddenly called out with a 101 fever.

This would mean my sister would be exposed and also my mother as she had lunch with her on the 11th. I saw my mom last weekend for a few hours but we social distanced the entire time.

So far so good as none of us have shown any symptoms. Fingers crossed that it stays this way.
Fingers crossed, stay safe.

Reactions: Alicat

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

The CDC guidelines say I am good but I am self isolating for the 14 days and my mom is up on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

I hope all will be well for you and your family. Fingers crossed for all of you!

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Italy virus cases soar again; NY eyes temporary hospitals

In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said state officials were scouring the globe for desperately needed medical supplies as confirmed coronavirus cases soared above 10,000 statewide.

The state is reviewing four possible locations for temporary hospitals, which would be operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. The governor also said 1 million N-95 masks are being sent to New York City, with another 500,000 masks going to Long Island. He is also trying to find a supplier for more gowns, and clothing companies are converting to make masks.

“Everything that can be done is being done,” he said, adding, ’We are literally scouring the globe looking for medical supplies.”

New York has seen about 10,400 coronavirus cases, and about 1,600 people hospitalized. Spread of the rapidly advancing virus has strained health care systems across the globe, and three American states with a combined population of 70 million are moving to restrict residents to their homes to prevent its spread. California started restricting residents Friday, and New York and Illinois were to follow this weekend.

Connecticut and Oregon were preparing to do the same.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A young couple in my town has all the symptoms, they are worsening, but unable to get tested. Fun times we are in eh?

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Heading to Nahant Beach with the kids. The fresh air should do us good.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Mike Huckabee Offers a Corny Solution to the Nation’s Toilet Paper Shortage

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee has an a-maize-ing, quick fix to all your toilet paper needs, should you run short during the coronavirus “stay at home” orders beginning to sweep the nation. But his suggestion, it’s a rough one.

“Those of us from rural south know how to handle toilet paper shortage. Eat more corn on the cob!” he shared on Twitter Friday. “The corn isn’t important, but the cobs are free and work great! (Just don’t flush them!) You’re welcome!”

Mike Huckabee Offers a Corny Solution to Nation's Toilet Paper Shortage

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Working on laundry, and reorganizing the pantry.

Whyyyy do they make it so hard to find the "best by" dates on some things? It might be on the lid, on the bottom, on the label, on the tag, on the glass where it's only readable if you hold it at a certain angle in just the right light.... :ha:

Oh well, there are certainly far worse issues in the world. Thankful to have food at all!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I stay at home and isolate like an idiot, meanwhile in Atlanta...

Just found out today that my idiot nephew flew to Miami for Spring Break Thursday. He flies home tomorrow. My mother and my sister are currently both cancer patients. No immune systems.

I told my other sister if he goes anywhere near them I will break his bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad