OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Coronavirus: what happens to people's lungs when they get Covid-19?

The least serious are those people who are “sub-clinical” and who have the virus but have no symptoms.

Next are those who get an infection in the upper respiratory tract, which, Wilson says, “means a person has a fever and a cough and maybe milder symptoms like headache or conjunctivitis”.

He says: “Those people with minor symptoms are still able to transmit the virus but may not be aware of it.”
The largest group of those who would be positive for Covid-19, and the people most likely to present to hospitals and surgeries, are those who develop the same flu-like symptoms that would usually keep them off work.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not to make this post political but in the words of the president watch out for FAKE news.

You don't have to love or hate him but he is 100% correct in times like these that only factual news should be shared and told as it creates panic among people. No doubt this is a difficult time for everyone in every country so the last thing needed is fake news so some hack journalist can get clicks.

Don't panic and take care of each other the rest will sort itself out.

Watch what you post on here and make sure it's credible so people can be fully informed.

two weeks ago he said it wasn’t a big deal and compared it to the flu by saying it wasn’t as bad. Not for nothing, but f*** that guy

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Google late Friday debuted a new website devoted to information about COVID-19 and the novel coronavirus, including local information, prevention tips, search trends and additional resources for individuals, educators and businesses.

Why it matters: Google's effort, designed to help get the most accurate information before the largest number of people, has been complicated as Google has had to scramble to catch up to President Trump's pronouncements.

Details: The site is launching Friday in the U.S. and will be available in coming days in other languages and countries. Currently, those seeking information on being tested will be given the CDC's generic recommendations, though Google may add more personalized options later.

Google's national coronavirus website rolls out

Reactions: sooshii

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
General Motors is partnering with Ventec Life Systems to help increase production of ventilators that are needed in hospitals dealing with patients who have the novel coronavirus, the companies announced Friday. In the most severe cases of COVID-19 infection, patients need the assistance of ventilators to breathe, and there are widespread concerns that the US does not have enough ventilators to meet the coming demand.

GM is partnering with Ventec Life Systems to help increase production of ventilators

Reactions: sleepyh

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
As the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 spreads across the globe, with cases surpassing 284,000 worldwide today (March 20), misinformation is spreading almost as fast.

One persistent myth is that this virus, called SARS-CoV-2, was made by scientists and escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began.

That analysis showed that the "hook" part of the spike had evolved to target a receptor on the outside of human cells called ACE2, which is involved in blood pressure regulation. It is so effective at attaching to human cells that the researchers said the spike proteins were the result of natural selection and not genetic engineering.

The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here's how we know. | Live Science

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The bottom line is that there is no magic pill or a specific food guaranteed to bolster your immune system and protect you from the new coronavirus. But there are real ways you can take care of yourself and give your immune system the best chance to do its job against a respiratory illness.

Lower your stress. Worries about the coronavirus, the stock market and the general disruption of life have added to our stress levels, but we know that stress also can make you more susceptible to respiratory illness.

In a series of remarkable studies over 20 years at Carnegie Mellon University, volunteers were exposed to the cold virus (using nose drops) and then quarantined for observation. The researchers found that people who reported less stress in their lives were less likely to develop cold symptoms. Another series of studies at Ohio State University found that marital conflict is especially taxing to the immune system. In a series of studies, the researchers inflicted small wounds on the arms of volunteers, and then asked couples to discuss topics both pleasant and stressful. When couples argued, their wounds took, on average, a full day longer to heal than after the sessions in which the couples discussed something pleasant. Among couples who exhibited especially high levels of hostility, the wounds took two days longer to heal.

The bottom line: Your body does a better job fighting off illness and healing wounds when it’s not under stress. Learning techniques for managing stress, like meditation, controlled breathing or talking to a therapist are all ways to help your immune system stay strong.

Improve your sleep habits. A healthy immune system can fight off infection. A sleep-deprived immune system doesn’t work as well. In one surprising study, researchers found 164 men and women willing to be exposed to the cold virus. Not everyone got sick. But short sleepers — those who regularly slept less than six hours a night — were 4.2 times more likely to catch the cold compared with those who got more than seven hours of sleep, researchers found. Risk was even higher when a person slept less than five hours a night.

The bottom line: Focusing on better sleep habits is a good way to strengthen your immune system. The sweet spot for sleep is six to seven hours a night. Stick to a regular bedtime and wake-up schedule. Avoid screens, night-eating and exercise right before bedtime.

Thanks so much. I thought there might have also been something one could take on top of getting a good night's sleep.

I'd be curious to find out how many hours Fenway sleeps. He's always available. :sarcasm:

Some posters are swearing by zinc as something to help you to fight a virus but when I went to the pharmacy the other day (my sole outing in the last 11 days), the pharmacist said there was no veracity to the claim.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Thanks so much. I thought there might have also been something one could take on top of getting a good night's sleep.

I'd be curious to find out how many hours Fenway sleeps. He's always available. :sarcasm:

Some posters are swearing by zinc as something to help you to fight a virus but when I went to the pharmacy the other day (my sole outing in the last 11 days), the pharmacist said there was no veracity to the claim.
They do say there is nothing that's helps.

Vitamin D3 plus lots of real food like vegetables will help boost your immune system.

Root vegetables are great for soups. I'll post a root vegetables soup recipe in the food thread soon.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They do say there is nothing that's helps.

Vitamin D3 plus lots of real food like vegetables will help boost your immune system.

Root vegetables are great for soups. I'll post a root vegetables soup recipe in the food thread soon.

Pharmacist told me if you're eating well, there is no reason to add homeopathic products. He did recommend Vitamin C, though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Meantime, Dr. Anthony Fauci finally loses his composure ...

HlSFjl1.gif

The Fauci Facepalm now a thing.

esP8i33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad