Prospect Info: "All Things AHL" Part II...

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
So by my count we will have at least 4 forwards graduating from juniors coming to the AHL (Jaskin, Rattie, Veilleux, Tesink). So who may not be brought back next year from the current (and already crowded) Peoria squad?

Barriball, Shattock, SDR, Nigro, Sonne are all RFAs; Murray, Hensick, Porter are UFAs. Andronov may also be a FA and may be unlikely to return regardless. I think Grachev and McRae are pretty safe to return even though their developments have stagnated. Wannstrom and Beach need somewhere to play as well.

Shattock, Nigro, SDR, and Sonne have all been pretty bleh players to this point. Barriball hasnt stayed healthy and probably cant be seen as a NHL prospect at this point. I got to think at least a couple of them wont be back. Hensick, Murray and Porter will all probably seek out other opportunities, but I think Hensick and Porter have a good chance of returning.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Does anyone think it's time to relieve Kevin McDonald of his duties at GM of the Rivermen. They really haven't been very good since he has been GM except for 08-09 when Payne was the coach. I just don't think they have been very successful in developing our prospects as well.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Does anyone think it's time to relieve Kevin McDonald of his duties at GM of the Rivermen. They really haven't been very good since he has been GM except for 08-09 when Payne was the coach. I just don't think they have been very successful in developing our prospects as well.

Yes. I do. I am not totally sure who is responsible for signing talent to minor league contracts for Peoria such as career minor leaguers, graduated college seniors, overage juniors or ECHL players, but I'm thinking it is him and he has done a terrible job adding to the talent pool and filling needs.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Yes. I do. I am not totally sure who is responsible for signing talent to minor league contracts for Peoria such as career minor leaguers, graduated college seniors, overage juniors or ECHL players, but I'm thinking it is him and he has done a terrible job adding to the talent pool and filling needs.

Im not sure how much freedom he has in signing players, especially since the Blues own the Rivermen. I would imagine any 2 way contract is primarily negotiated and handled by the Blues. I would imagine McDonald is primarily responsible for Peoria/Evansville movement and signing fill in players from ECHL/CHL when Peoria has a hole in-season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Porter, Murray, and Cracknell all seem to be playing well in Peoria...so there's some good 4th-line depth there.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Fairchild is suffering the sophomore slump. He's had some injuries and only has 6 assists and is a -6.

McRae never scored more than 60 points in a season in juniors. I would think this is a make or break year for him.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Fairchild is suffering the sophomore slump. He's had some injuries and only has 6 assists and is a -6.

McRae never scored more than 60 points in a season in juniors. I would think this is a make or break year for him.

Being Basil McRaes kid and all, does he at least play with some grit? He always seemed like a good athlete out there, maybe his value will come as a defensive forward

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

Im not sure how much freedom he has in signing players, especially since the Blues own the Rivermen. I would imagine any 2 way contract is primarily negotiated and handled by the Blues. I would imagine McDonald is primarily responsible for Peoria/Evansville movement and signing fill in players from ECHL/CHL when Peoria has a hole in-season.

Any two way contract is all done by the Blues, the player is the Blues property. The Blues have a contract to send extra players to Peoria. Any contract that is just an AHL SPC is handled by the Peoria staff, it is up to them to build the team. However since the Blues own and control the rivermen they probably have a lot of say in who the team signs to AHL SPCs. As far as signing undrafted players and career minor league guys that depends on if the Blues want them or if Peoria wants them. If the Blues are interesting in the Player the Blues will sign them to a 2 way contract. If it is Peoria then McDonald will sign them. Anyone on Peoria that does not have a contract with the Blues can sign one at anytime the Blues want to sign them. NHL teams are only allowed to have 50 contracts at a time but AHL teams do not have a limit.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
So by my count we will have at least 4 forwards graduating from juniors coming to the AHL (Jaskin, Rattie, Veilleux, Tesink). So who may not be brought back next year from the current (and already crowded) Peoria squad?

Barriball, Shattock, SDR, Nigro, Sonne are all RFAs; Murray, Hensick, Porter are UFAs. Andronov may also be a FA and may be unlikely to return regardless. I think Grachev and McRae are pretty safe to return even though their developments have stagnated. Wannstrom and Beach need somewhere to play as well..

To make room for Jaskin, Rattie, Veilleux, and Tesink, I would think that SDR, Sonne, & Barriball won't be back and Andronov going back to Russia signing with a KHL team over the summer? :dunno: perhaps some of the others you mentioned will end up at Evansville in the ECHL or traded for picks / simmilar AHL talent to another NHL Organization, with the trade deadline a little more then a month away. McRae still could be a bottom 6 forward for the Blues. I do know Hitchcock likes Grachev's game.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Andronov is going nowhere but to St. Louis to sign an actual NHL contract, instead of the AHL deal he's playing on now... I will be stunned if he's not back in St. Louis for camp next year, and if he doesn't get a callup at some point in 2013-14.

There's no reason to think he's in a hurry to go back to Russia, especially not to CSKA, where he never got better than fourth-line ice time as long as he was there. The Rivermen use him in a supplemental scoring role, and he's responded.

Per informed sources in Peoria, it's a pretty safe bet that Wannstrom is back next year, too.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't follow Peoria, but I was wondering if Jake has played since being sent down? If so, how did he do?

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Andronov is going nowhere but to St. Louis to sign an actual NHL contract, instead of the AHL deal he's playing on now... I will be stunned if he's not back in St. Louis for camp next year, and if he doesn't get a callup at some point in 2013-14.

There's no reason to think he's in a hurry to go back to Russia, especially not to CSKA, where he never got better than fourth-line ice time as long as he was there. The Rivermen use him in a supplemental scoring role, and he's responded.

Per informed sources in Peoria, it's a pretty safe bet that Wannstrom is back next year, too.

Thank you, Prussian_Blue for this update on Andronov, and I am part German, my mother's homeland who is in a better place other then earth, passed away 10 years ago.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't follow Peoria, but I was wondering if Jake has played since being sent down? If so, how did he do?

Just the 1 start, a 3-0 loss in which he faced over 30 shots.

If that is the case then we are looking like we have 4 RW's under contract next season (Rattie, Wännström, Andronov & Beach) and 3 LW's (Jaškin, Veilleux & Tesink). I'd expect McRae to be back, and I think we'll try to keep Hensick. Then who knows. Is there space for someone like Rylan Schwartz? Does he really project as a C going forward or will whoever picks him up also push him onto the wing?

Also agree with PocketNines that it is highly unlikely that Andronov will get called up next season. We have too much depth at wing for it to be realistic.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Also agree with PocketNines that it is highly unlikely that Andronov will get called up next season. We have too much depth at wing for it to be realistic.

1. With the way the Blues are constantly falling victim to the injury bug, year after year, all that depth can evaporate in a hurry. No one expected that Adam Cracknell or Stefan Della Rovere would get callups last season, either...

2. There's no reason to think that Andronov could not get a callup to get an audition with the Blues' fourth line at some point next year, especially if he continues to play as well as he's played so far.

He's good enough defensively, and more than adequate as a skater, to be able to play that role in the NHL, and between him and Sobotka, there'd be a little more of an offensive threat from that line than is currently provided by the likes of Ryan Reaves or Scott Nichol.

No, Andronov's not going to be brought up to be Tarasenko's run-and-gun tovarisch on the second line, but a fourth-line tryout is a perfectly realistic goal for him.

Last edited:

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
...we are looking like we have 4 RW's under contract next season (Rattie, Wännström, Andronov & Beach) and 3 LW's (Jaškin, Veilleux & Tesink). I'd expect McRae to be back, and I think we'll try to keep Hensick. Then who knows.

Neither Jaskin, Veilleux or Tesink are under contract for next season... yet.

And I expect Tesink to fill the little bottom six sparkplug center role that Jay "The Little Barriball Of Hate" plays, when he plays, which is only maybe ten percent of the time, unfortunately...

I'd put money on Derek Nesbitt coming back, especially if Hensick comes back, too. Janne Lajunen, it's 50/50 at this point. I imagine he can probably make more money back home in Finland, and I think I, too, would rather play in Helsinki than Peoria, to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if McRae gets dealt for a pick, or as part of trade-up package, at the draft. His development has stalled big-time with this organization, and a fresh start elsewhere would probably be a Godsend for his career. Hensick, I agree will probably be back unless he gets an offer from someone that can give him more of an opportunity to play in the NHL.

One of Brett Sonne or Anthony Nigro will probably be back for the third-line center next year, but not both. I'm leaning towards Nigro at this point, but Sonne seems to be more likely just because he's a little bigger and seems to have more offense in his game.

Is there space for someone like Rylan Schwartz? Does he really project as a C going forward or will whoever picks him up also push him onto the wing?

They could make space for him, but I'd be surprised if Jaden's big brother is in the plans for the Rivs for next year. I'd consider it far more likely that they'll go out and try to find a couple more like Mark Cundari, only maybe a little bigger this time.

Ponich and Shields are the only defensemen under contract for next season, and Hakanpää in Year Two of his ELC. I'd say it's likely they re-sign Cade Fairchild, and maybe Cundari as well, but I pray to the Jesus that they do not re-sign Taylor Chorney, who is about as useful and productive as a Tea Party Congressman...

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'd like to see the Blues take a flyer in the draft for J C Lipon. If anything, then he would be a fan favorite in Peoria. He has some skills. If he is still sitting there in Round 6, then why not? He would be a good organizational player and provide grit.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Neither Jaskin, Veilleux or Tesink are under contract for next season... yet.

And I expect Tesink to fill the little bottom six sparkplug center role that Jay "The Little Barriball Of Hate" plays, when he plays, which is only maybe ten percent of the time, unfortunately...

I'd put money on Derek Nesbitt coming back, especially if Hensick comes back, too. Janne Lajunen, it's 50/50 at this point. I imagine he can probably make more money back home in Finland, and I think I, too, would rather play in Helsinki than Peoria, to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if McRae gets dealt for a pick, or as part of trade-up package, at the draft. His development has stalled big-time with this organization, and a fresh start elsewhere would probably be a Godsend for his career. Hensick, I agree will probably be back unless he gets an offer from someone that can give him more of an opportunity to play in the NHL.

One of Brett Sonne or Anthony Nigro will probably be back for the third-line center next year, but not both. I'm leaning towards Nigro at this point, but Sonne seems to be more likely just because he's a little bigger and seems to have more offense in his game.

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure we wouldn't hesitate in including McRae in any trade package we are putting together, but you think it is possible we deal him for a late pick? Given that the Blues are being built on 3 scoring lines, I don't really think he fits as a #3C here, but he could be somewhere.

Given that Hitchcock really likes Sobotka on LW, and McRae having no real trade value, do you think it is possible that we go with Sobotka-McRae-Reaves on the 4th line next season?

They could make space for him, but I'd be surprised if Jaden's big brother is in the plans for the Rivs for next year. I'd consider it far more likely that they'll go out and try to find a couple more like Mark Cundari, only maybe a little bigger this time.

I can't speak about the CHL FA's, because I don't even know who would be available nevermind their quality.

Out of the NCAA...

Rylan Schwartz - The one we all know a little about. The usual undersized comments come up, but he doesn't play small and is very tenacious. I just suspect he projects more as a winger.

Nate Schmidt - LHD. Really improved his defensive game over the past couple of seasons, and is putting up close to PPG numbers. Highest upside of anyone available IMO.

Danny DeKeyser - Shutdown LHD who looks as certain as is possible to develop into a solid NHL Dman. Sadly, it looks likely he ends up in Detroit.

Andrej Šustr - Kid is huge; 6'8, 220lbs LHD. Not very physical, but his skating is looking pretty decent now for a guy of his size. Šustr-Hakanpää pairing would be quite a sight :laugh:

Ryan Walters - Good all round, consistent player with solid size. His offense has really steeped up this season.

Unrealistic as it is, I'd love to see us pick up a couple of these guys. :laugh:

Ponich and Shields are the only defensemen under contract for next season, and Hakanpää in Year Two of his ELC. I'd say it's likely they re-sign Cade Fairchild, and maybe Cundari as well, but I pray to the Jesus that they do not re-sign Taylor Chorney, who is about as useful and productive as a Tea Party Congressman...

With the incoming talent, I'd be seriously worried if Chorney was kept around.

I'm expecting a lot from Hakanpää next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Hakanpää made us consider Polák a trade chip in a years time...

Baby Blues

Jun 6, 2011
Well, the Rivs have hit bottom. 2 more losses including 1 to Hamilton with the worst record in the conference. Perhaps better excuses for failing to make a late run this season. Most recently played with 9 guys who've seen time in the ECHL this season. The reason why...

Called up:
Porter
Cracknell
Murray
Schwartz
Allen
Cole (we got Woywitka)
Peluso - sort of

Injured:
McRae
Sonne
Fairchild
Beach
Barriball

Positives notes from the season:
- Andronov: better than I expected anyway + shows passion (hear that Grachev!?!)
- Cundari: found his offensive game, still not NHL-quality on the d-side
- Beach: if he can just add weight/muscle, he'll have a shot in tough guy roll as his skill is better than avg. goon
- Nesbitt: AHL vet who continues to score despite sub-par team around him

Perhaps do negatives another time. May take awhile.

Winterhawker

Mar 16, 2013
Development

Been following players from our WHL Portland Winterhawks and there seems to be a lack of development of young players in Peoria compared to other AHL teams. Is this because of lack of financing, they appear to have had several losing seasons?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad