Prospect Info: "All Things AHL" Part II...

Lifetimebluesfan

Jul 2, 2012
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there a possibility the rivermen play a couple of games at the scottrade center? That'd be kind of cool..

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there a possibility the rivermen play a couple of games at the scottrade center? That'd be kind of cool..

Highly doubtful. While I'm merely speculating, I would assume that the Rivermen are contracted for X number of regular season home games this year at their arena.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
http://atdhenet.tv/52561/watch-peoria-rivermen-vs-charlotte-checkers

2-0 Rivs after two periods. Hensick apparently scored early in the 1st, and a beautiful slapper by Cundari from the high-slot to solidify the lead in the 2nd. Rivs going for their 6th win in a row.

Goals by Murray and Bruton in the 3rd. Checkers come back with 4 goals, and Peoria wins in the shootout from goals by McRae and Schwartz. Final: 5-4 Rivermen

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Glad for the win, but I'd like to know how many times they've allowed at least 3 unanswered goals late in a game this season. They have lost a few games when they had a decent lead going into the third, and just collapsed. That needs to be cleaned up.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think some of you might be underrating Peoria a bit. Regardless of whether it's NHL level caliber, they are not a bad team at all and have some talent and are nowhere near as bad as their record indicated at the start. They struggled off the start, not sure why, but they are clearly a better hockey team than what we saw. Glad to see they are on a 6-game winning streak now.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Glad for the win, but I'd like to know how many times they've allowed at least 3 unanswered goals late in a game this season. They have lost a few games when they had a decent lead going into the third, and just collapsed. That needs to be cleaned up.

Reminds me of St. Louis a couple years ago.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I caught the last 30-ish minutes of the Rivermen game tonight. Prospect wise McRae was really strong in that time. He was playing on Hensick's wing and was firing shots from quality scoring areas left and right and scored in the shootout. Cole was solid in his own zone and stepped up into some nice offensive chances including an odd man rush created by Schwartz. Schwartz was good but was stuck with Murray and Shattock so some opportunities were wasted but he got the winning goal in the shootout. Cundari, Grachev, and Andronov weren't bad, but they didn't stand out much either.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I caught the last 30-ish minutes of the Rivermen game tonight. Prospect wise McRae was really strong in that time. He was playing on Hensick's wing and was firing shots from quality scoring areas left and right and scored in the shootout. Cole was solid in his own zone and stepped up into some nice offensive chances including an odd man rush created by Schwartz. Schwartz was good but was stuck with Murray and Shattock so some opportunities were wasted but he got the winning goal in the shootout. Fairchild, Grachev, and Andronov weren't bad, but they didn't stand out much either.

I'm wondering, if they are trying to have Schwartz focus on his defensive game. Either that or they are hiding him with two defensive forwards?

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Even though McRae is strong on face offs I wonder if he has a better future on the wing where he can use his size.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I'm wondering, if they are trying to have Schwartz focus on his defensive game. Either that or they are hiding him with two defensive forwards?

They certainly are not hiding Schwartz from defensive responsibilities. I have noticed him getting a good deal of PK time in the games I have watched this year. I also think they are trying to find some chemistry and form a secondary scoring line. They could use another AHL scorer type to put on the second line.

stlweir said:
Even though McRae is strong on face offs I wonder if he has a better future on the wing where he can use his size.

McRae was playing on Hensick's wing last night and looked pretty effective there finding open space and taking quality shots. In the prior game I watched he was playing with Schwartz(although they did trade off some that game) and did not look as good. Now I don't know how long Schwartz-McRae were together so maybe they didn't have time to develop chemistry. I look at McRae and wonder why we don't at least have another McClement type of player out of him at this point. He has the tools and works his butt off, I just don't get it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
McClement had very good speed, McRae has average+ speed.
I don't know about "very good" speed. I remember McClement being pretty average, not that fast.

Anyways, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems like Schwartz must be pretty good in shootouts. Just by looking at the boxscores I've seen him score quite a bit in them. So that's good. And he's not too far off from being on a 50-point pace on an inconsistent Peoria team, so I would consider that to be good in his first year.

Also, this is just a question that I've been pondering, but why do the Blues have Chris Porter as their extra forward instead of Cracknell? I think Porter is a decent grinder but there can't be any doubt that Cracknell is the better player IMO. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have him on the team as the extra forward than Porter? He fills a nice role and also has leadership qualities.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
I don't know about "very good" speed. I remember McClement being pretty average, not that fast.

Anyways, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems like Schwartz must be pretty good in shootouts. Just by looking at the boxscores I've seen him score quite a bit in them. So that's good. And he's not too far off from being on a 50-point pace on an inconsistent Peoria team, so I would consider that to be good in his first year.

Also, this is just a question that I've been pondering, but why do the Blues have Chris Porter as their extra forward instead of Cracknell? I think Porter is a decent grinder but there can't be any doubt that Cracknell is the better player IMO. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have him on the team as the extra forward than Porter? He fills a nice role and also has leadership qualities.
Porter's speed is what they prefer I am guessing. I do like Cracknell though.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Plus when you consider that guys like Sobotka and Langs are more skilled than Cracknell it makes more sense to bump one of them up a line and put porter in an energy line role than to plug Cracknell in.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I'm not sure what to say about the Rivermen game tonight. They weren't exactly terrible, but they did make a couple costly mistakes which lead to goals. Markstrom was damn good for the Rampage and one mistake for the Rivermen was probably all it was going to take for the Rampage to win tonight. Peoria's PP is downright awful. If you thought the Blues PP was bad last year don't even bother to watch theirs. Does anyone know if Hensick and Schwartz have been tried together on the PP this season? If not, maybe it's time for that to happen.

Again, since I have watched a limited amount of games this year I don't know for sure but does anyone know if Cole and Schwartz have been connecting on chances all year? Almost every time I see Cole sneak into some empty space from the blue line it's Schwartz that has a pass waiting for him. I have also noticed Cole is more often than not the high trailer on odd man rushes Schwartz creates. It could just be me paying more attention to prospects than the regular AHL'ers though.

I was really enjoying the Peluso Grachev Andronov line tonight and thought they were going to find some way to grind out a goal tonight. Peluso was trying like hell to manufacture a garbage goal. Peluso had one of the costly turnovers and after that they went fairly quiet.

My final thought. I sure am glad that Markstrom is a prospect of an Eastern Conference team...

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Pretty lame. Do we have to pay half of his NHL salary now? If so, that's completely unfair, since he was just going to get sent back down anyway. It's just more money down the drain for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad