All the Haag hate?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
In the other thread i commented about some teams not being equipped to play the new entertaining style of pressure attack hockey with mobile pucking moving defenceman . Hagg so far is one of those players now that is not well enough equipped to play that style, he has to chip it up the boards to relieve pressure or throw it to his defense partner even if he is under pressure, He does not have the foot speed to get there earlier to give himself some time to take a look nor the agility to go east west to buy some time , hands are also qeustionable . He is young so i have not done to much complaining and hopefully with some more time he will be able to round out his game . The main problem has been his usage and that is on the coach not him if Travis had showed more defensive stability it would have taken away from some of Hagg's usage . I think Hagg is just the scape goat for many problems we have , fair or nor fair it is what it is.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the other thread i commented about some teams not being equipped to play the new entertaining style of pressure attack hockey with mobile pucking moving defenceman . Hagg so far is one of those players now that is not well enough equipped to play that style, he has to chip it up the boards to relieve pressure or throw it to his defense partner even if he is under pressure, He does not have the foot speed to get there earlier to give himself some time to take a look nor the agility to go east west to buy some time , hands are also qeustionable . He is young so i have not done to much complaining and hopefully with some more time he will be able to round out his game . The main problem has been his usage and that is on the coach not him if Travis had showed more defensive stability it would have taken away from some of Hagg's usage . I think Hagg is just the scape goat for many problems we have , fair or nor fair it is what it is.
It was pretty clear that no matter how well Sanheim played, Hakstol was going to use his favorites.

Sanheim was our 3rd best defensemen last year and yet his usage didn’t reflect that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim wasn't our third best defenseman, that's a fantasy. Third most talented, but that's a different matter.
Basically it was Ghost, Provorov, a big gap to MacDonald, Gudas, and a small gap to Sanheim, Manning and Hagg.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I agree OP. Some people just don't know talent when it smacks them right in the face.

Interesting that between him, Laughton and Morin he is the biggest scapegoat despite being drafted later than other two. I guess maybe its announcers creaming their pants every time he is on the ice that's the main force behind the hate?
Laughton is a 4th liner. Morin was 8th, at best, on the depth chart when he was healthy. Hagg was a top 4 defenseman playing with our best players. Morin probably would have struggled playing top 4 minutes too and that would have been pointed out, but it's hard to imagine he would have struggled as much as Hagg did. He's just more talented and he's actually aggressive in some key areas of the game.

As for Hagg's decreasing time on ice...He was still playing top 4 minutes in February. His minutes got cut only in March, when he just played in 7 games due to injury, and when he returned Hakstol didn't like him paired up with Gudas and the Sanheim/MacDonald pair had too much unsustainable goal luck to break them up or lower their usage (although once it did Sanheim played his usual 13 minutes).

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
It's a combination of overuse overhype and elitism. There's always been a scapegoat from braydon soburnt to bundy as far back as i can recall. Just as theres a love for the stay at home guy with snarl among casual fans there's a belief that every dman should score like a forward online. I think the lack of pmd over time has sort of lead to this.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This isn’t complicated. He’s not any good. Some of us can plainly see that, by the eye test and/or by the stats. Others are seeing...I don’t know what. I honestly don’t know what people are seeing when they watch him play and conclude that he has tangible value to an NHL team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, there's no defending the local media.

Hagg got those minutes by default, wasn't his fault Gudas got suspended, Sanheim went brain dead and Morin got hurt.
By February, the universe returned to normal and he was playing 17 minutes a night.

People just make much too big of a deal of a 3rd pair defenseman.

There is no point where Hagg was a better player than Sanheim.

Reactions: kelmitchell

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It was pretty clear that no matter how well Sanheim played, Hakstol was going to use his favorites.

Sanheim was our 3rd best defensemen last year and yet his usage didn’t reflect that.
No he was not and heck i'm a big fan he is from my home province . I went to the Flyers game when in Winnipeg to get a closer look and saw a player struggling in his own end physically when the jets had the pressure on . When he had time he made good plays he made several good first passes, was at his best if he had time to take a few strides then move the puck up . If winnipeg got the cycle going or got to the puck first he really had trouble and lost most all the battles .
To me it is like he needs to be put into high school wresling to learn leverage and stradigies to be able to get underneath and lift up to win some of these battles . He tries to battle to upright and gets beat . I watch him real close and have for years and this stuff is totally correctable so to me it's only a matter of time . Getting some tuff love from the coaching staff should only add fuel to his fire and we should see a different kid this year hopefully . imo of course

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No he was not and heck i'm a big fan he is from my home province . I went to the Flyers game when in Winnipeg to get a closer look and saw a player struggling in his own end physically when the jets had the pressure on . When he had time he made good plays he made several good first passes, was at his best if he had time to take a few strides then move the puck up . If winnipeg got the cycle going or got to the puck first he really had trouble and lost most all the battles .
To me it is like he needs to be put into high school wresling to learn leverage and stradigies to be able to get underneath and lift up to win some of these battles . He tries to battle to upright and gets beat . I watch him real close and have for years and this stuff is totally correctable so to me it's only a matter of time . Getting some tuff love from the coaching staff should only add fuel to his fire and we should see a different kid this year hopefully . imo of course
I didn’t say he was perfect.

But easily...

Sanheim > MacDonald
Sanheim > Manning
Sanheim > Hagg

And last year Gudas wasn’t himself, so I’d say Sanheim was better than him too.

The bar isn’t high, but Sanheim definitely cleared it.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanheim wasn't our third best defenseman, that's a fantasy. Third most talented, but that's a different matter.
Basically it was Ghost, Provorov, a big gap to MacDonald, Gudas, and a small gap to Sanheim, Manning and Hagg.

To Striiker, more talent automatically = better. Doesn’t matter that Hakstol demands his team play a certain way & Sanheim wasn’t doing it earlier in the season. You should be like the Oilers, accept those shortcomings, & still go on talent alone.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Forget the arguing over the dramatized version of what happened last year. There has been a vocal minority on this board for years screaming that Hagg's mindset and playstyle are no longer what you want in a modern Defenseman. He came up and had the same weaknesses. At some point, a spade is a spade.

He has more physical abilities that could lead to him improving (see the Carolina game at the end of 2016-17). It's just an extreme long shot that the light happens to go on in his age 24 season, especially when the (org/coaching staff/insert noun of your choice here) values exactly what makes him a net negative at the NHL level.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I didn’t say he was perfect.

But easily...

Sanheim > MacDonald
Sanheim > Manning
Sanheim > Hagg

And last year Gudas wasn’t himself, so I’d say Sanheim was better than him too.

The bar isn’t high, but Sanheim definitely cleared it.

Gudas was at his best with Sanheim. Much better than he was with Hagg. It's almost like Sanheim is a better player.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
To Striiker, more talent automatically = better. Doesn’t matter that Hakstol demands his team play a certain way & Sanheim wasn’t doing it earlier in the season. You should be like the Oilers, accept those shortcomings, & still go on talent alone.
Nooooooooooooooo!!! please not Edmonton

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just find it funny that a certain "defender" of Hagg and Hak says dumb shit like "he got top 4 minutes by default" because of other players issues. But TOTALLY ignores that Hagg TOO had just as bad issues yet stayed in the lineup quite easily.

Wasn't it @LegionOfDoom91 who posted Haggs monthly splits/stats in another thread? Once his "luck" started to normalize, his stats plummeted. But Hak kept playing him.

Regardless, thus shit has been beaten to death. No need to spend another 2 months rehashing the same info....and certainly didn't need a new thread on it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The game where the best top 6 in hockey only had 5 shot attempts when he was on the ice? That was one of his best games of the year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just find it funny that a certain "defender" of Hagg and Hak says dumb **** like "he got top 4 minutes by default" because of other players issues. But TOTALLY ignores that Hagg TOO had just as bad issues yet stayed in the lineup quite easily.

Wasn't it @LegionOfDoom91 who posted Haggs monthly splits/stats in another thread? Once his "luck" started to normalize, his stats plummeted. But Hak kept playing him.

Regardless, thus **** has been beaten to death. No need to spend another 2 months rehashing the same info....and certainly didn't need a new thread on it.

It wasn’t me but it was pointed out many times earlier in the year that his goal results were unsustainably to the highest degree in his favor & would normalize if he continued to get gashed in every shot metric. Off the top of my head he was at a PDO of like 106 something at some point despite being like a 41% in CF%. He pulled his CF% up as the year went on to 44% but that’s still not good & his PDO normalized bringing his goal metrics down.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not true at all.

And if Hakstol is demanding that the team play a way, where Sanheim was wrong but Hagg was right, then that just proves Hakstol is clueless.

Hagg was no better in the defensive zone and Sanheim was miles and miles and miles better at moving the puck and helping create offense.

There is a correct answer here, Sanheim easily and indisputably outplayed Hagg. Just like he did everyone outside of Provorov and Ghost.

Reactions: kelmitchell

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The game where the best top 6 in hockey only had 5 shot attempts when he was on the ice? That was one of his best games of the year.
I said i watched him specifically and this is what i saw it does not mean that someone did not cover up for him or that Winnipeg capatlized on them at the time, actually i thought Winnipeg was not on thier game at the time . I have said i use to scout and these were problems he use to have so i went to see if he had corrected these particular problems but they still exhisted . Hagg's feet were very slow that game and Kony was really struggling with confidence at the time he was really frustrated and you could see it . I watched Patrick as well and he did ok at the time used his brain to make up for some short comings . I do not use alot of stats for judgements i like to go live and see for myself . Old school i guess
This was the game where Gudas had a brain fart

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not true at all.

And if Hakstol is demanding that the team play a way, where Sanheim was wrong but Hagg was right, then that just proves Hakstol is clueless.

Hagg was no better in the defensive zone and Sanheim was miles and miles and miles better at moving the puck and helping create offense.

There is a correct answer here, Sanheim easily and indisputably outplayed Hagg. Just like he did everyone outside of Provorov and Ghost.
Sanheim played soft until his recall. He was weak in puck battles. More than anything Hakstol wants his team to be strong in puck battles. He doesn’t always have the players who can do it, but that’s what he wants the team’s identity to be. Sanheim was soft, so he didn’t play. Hagg usually battled hard on the wall & played with more strength, so Hakstol rewarded him. If Sanheim ups his grit, he’ll play more. That simple. It’s not always a matter of talent (Edmonton) but getting your team to play a certain way. Hitchcock had many battles with Modano early in his career trying to get him to play a certain way, & it eventually made Modano a more effective, complete player & led Dallas to winning the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad