GDT: All-star weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is Wood invited for the fastest skater competition?

No Young Guns this year as far as I know.

In all honesty, I question how well he'd be able to turn for the fastest skater competition. I think he'd do excellent on the straightaways but I wonder how well he'd be able to turn at the speed he's going.

Would certainly be interesting though.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Per AG:
#Devils Taylor Hall will participate in the four-line challenge and will go up against Lightning's Nikita Kucherov in fastest skater contest

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anyone have the schedule for the whole weekend?

Some silly stuff

Then some more silly stuff

Maybe some props followed by more hijinks

Some old players that remember playing an actual hockey game for the All-star game

Guys get their jerseys signed by every other player sometime around mid morning.

Then someone will get mic'ed and maybe wear a body camera and say things they would never say while acting silly

Then 30 goals will be scored.

And then somebody will get a car they will never drive for scoring 3 of their teams 15 goals.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Anyone have the schedule for the whole weekend?

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/01/nhl_all-star_weekend_2017_schedule_of_events.html

Friday, Jan. 27

* The NHL100, 9:30 p.m. EST: All-Star weekend will kick off Friday night with the unveiling of the NHL 100, the collection of the 100 greatest NHL players. The ceremony, which will be hosted by actor Jon Hamm and feature musicians John Legend, Robin Thicke and John Ondrasik, coincided with the NHL's 100th anniversary, being celebrated throughout 2017. The NHL 100 will be broadcast on NBCSN in the United States, plus Sportsnet and TVAS in Canada.

Saturday, Jan. 28

* NHL All-Star Skills Competition, 7 p.m. EST: The Skills Competition will be aired on NBCSN in the United States, plus CBC, Sportsnet and TVAS in Canada. It will feature six challenges: The Skills Challenge Relay, the Four Line Challenge, shooting accuracy, fastest skater, hardest shot and a shootout. The Skills Competition will be broken down into the four All-Star rosters by division, and each of the 44 All-Stars will participate in at least one event. The winning division will get to select which game and division it will play first in Sunday's All-Star game.

Sunday, Jan. 29

* NHL All-Star Game, 3:30 p.m., EST: Two Divisions will play a 20-minute, 3-on-3 game before the next two divisions play in another game, The two winners will meet to play for a $1 million prize in the final, another 20-minute, 3-on-3 game. Any tie games will be decided by a shootout.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Some silly stuff

Some old players that remember playing an actual hockey game for the All-star game

Guys get their jerseys signed by every other player sometime around mid morning.

Then someone will get mic'ed and maybe wear a body camera and say things they would never say while acting silly

And then somebody will get a car they will never drive for scoring 3 of their teams 15 goals.

nice… :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'll admit, I kind of like the 3 on 3 tourney format.

I mean, I probably won't watch much of it, but it's way better then east vs west 5 on 5 no one plays defense format.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Some silly stuff

:laugh:

I just want to see the mascot game, NJ Devil kicked some ass last year.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
C3OBtp8VcAAXxKY.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Scotty looks like he's apologizing to him, Lindros looks much bigger than him these days. He better watch out.:laugh:

not to me.

that picture looks like he's in mid-sentence describing the size of the cup with his hands.

but completely off topic, my chickens are going make a nice scrambled egg breakfast for me in the morning.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Caught him with his head down in a plate full of doughnuts.
I really hate weight shaming people, even though I've been guilty of it since I've been thin. Not going up to people and being mean to them, but just being like ''Damn he's big!'' or something like that. But it's truly fascinating to me to see how some athletes in their post-playing days really blow up and get huge, while others like Stevens are able to stay pretty slim looking. Like Denis Potvin blew up not too long after his playing days, yet his long time teammate Mike Bossy in very thin, but looks so gaunt and sickly looking in the face. He really looks like a skeleton these days and it's hard to believe he just turned 60. He looks like he's over 70. I think I'd rather look like Denis. Knowing what I know now about calories and consumption and metabolism and burning off calories, etc. I chalk it up to when you're an athlete, you're eating like 4000-5000 calories a day. I remember reading Michael Phelps diet and what he consumes in a day and it was ridiculous. I couldn't even imagine eating that much in a day, it must have been 10000-12000 calories. Even if he's burning that it all off, I imagine that can't be good for your digestive system. It's working a lot harder and accumulating a lot more miles than it should be. Some players continue eating that much after they retire and they develop a calorie surplus because they're no longer working out and playing. And it's not just older guys it happens to, as Lindros was still in his 30's.

Another comparison is Jari Kurri and Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky looks slim, while Kurri was a bit plump when they showed him drop the puck at a Kings game a few weeks ago when they honored him one night. Even Marty looked a little bloated on his jersey retirement night, but looked back down to his playing shape when they showed him a few times this year, for the statue dedication and when we were playing the Blues. Lindros was very puffy looking a few years back when they had that alumni game with the Flyers and Rangers the year they played in the Winter Classic. It was weird because Lindros was one of the youngest guys in that alumni game, he was still in his 30's. He seems a little bit older than 43, since he's been out of the game for over a decade now and between the lockout and some years where he was never healthy and even missing a whole season after the Stevens hit and before he was sent to the Rangers, it seems he's been gone for closer to 15 years than anything.
not to me.

that picture looks like he's in mid-sentence describing the size of the cup with his hands.

but completely off topic, my chickens are going make a nice scrambled egg breakfast for me in the morning.
I couldn't in good conscience laugh at the second part of the post, but I had to laugh at the first part.:laugh:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I really hate weight shaming people, even though I've been guilty of it since I've been thin. Not going up to people and being mean to them, but just being like ''Damn he's big!'' or something like that. But it's truly fascinating to me to see how some athletes in their post-playing days really blow up and get huge, while others like Stevens are able to stay pretty slim looking. Like Denis Potvin blew up not too long after his playing days, yet his long time teammate Mike Bossy in very thin, but looks so gaunt and sickly looking in the face. He really looks like a skeleton these days and it's hard to believe he just turned 60. He looks like he's over 70. I think I'd rather look like Denis.

Another comparison is Jari Kurri and Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky looks slim, while Kurri was a bit plump when they showed him drop the puck at a Kings game a few weeks ago when they honored him one night. Even Marty looked a little bloated on his jersey retirement night, but looked back down to his playing shape when they showed him a few times this year, for the statue dedication and when we were playing the Blues. Lindros was very puffy looking a few years back when they had that alumni game with the Flyers and Rangers the year they played in the Winter Classic. It was weird because Lindros was one of the youngest guys in that alumni game, he was still in his 30's. He seems a little bit older than 43, since he's been out of the game for over a decade now and between the lockout and some years where he was never healthy and even missing a whole season after the Stevens hit and before he was sent to the Rangers, it seems he's been gone for closer to 15 years than anything.

I couldn't in good conscience laugh at the second part of the post, but I had to laugh at the first part.:laugh:

ya, its in bad taste i guess, but truth hurts. he got mashed over and over in his career

with that said, im going to request a full posting ban when jeanneret takes his schtick to the river under.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ya, its in bad taste i guess, but truth hurts. he got mashed over and over in his career

with that said, im going to request a full posting ban when jeanneret takes his schtick to the river under.

The Stevens hit all but ended his career. He played a few seasons after that, but I'm pretty sure never a healthy one. Now that I look it up, he actually did play 72 games in 01-02 and 81 in 02-03, after sitting out the entire 00-01 season. He also had 73 points in 01-02, which was his last PPG season. Part of one of the numerous dream teams that the Rangers built in the late 90's and early 00's, that resulted in 7 straight playoff-less seasons with some of the highest payrolls ever. The ''Who will get Lindros?'' saga during the entire 00-01 season and the next offseason was funny.

He only wanted to go to the Leafs and Clarke blocked it (from what I remember) and sent him to the Rangers for a trash heap of garbage instead. The Leafs eventually got him, but he was next to finished by that point and it was after the lockout. I swear TSN or someone reported ''Lindros to the Leafs'' as pretty much a done deal at some point during that 00-01 debacle and were way premature and the reports ended up being false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad