GDT: All Star Weekend- Team Toews vs. Team Foligno

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) should write everything about everything.

The league promoted the Fan Fair as a kid-friendly event, and it got its wish. The event was packed with families, and many of the children were members of the preschool set. That’s your future generation of fans, and they seemed to be having a great time. There was even a rink set up where 3-year-olds could play an adorable version of hockey, running around in utter chaos chasing multiple balls and ignoring each other until the inevitable head-on collisions, then picking themselves up to run around some more.*

*It’s nice to see that somebody can master Randy Carlyle’s defensive system.

:laugh:

Seriously, though, Robert T is right, it's an event for fans, and it's supposed to be fun, not something to be taken seriously.

Fans were everywhere, and there really was a sense that All-Star Weekend was a big event. At the Fan Fair, the exhibits were packed and the lines were long — when I went by, the lineup to have your photo taken with the Stanley Cup had been shut down because they’d run out of room to put people. And everyone seemed to be having a great time.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhl-all-star-wrap-up-25-reasons-to-love-the-game/

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I guess the results of the game beg the question: could Patrice Bergeron put up 410 points in a more uptempo system?

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
You think the Bruins win the Cup with Thornton and without Chara?

Meanwhile, whatever anyone thinks of Ovechkin, the guy has a heart of gold:

I saw Ovi do a piece with a mentally challenged young lady on the NHL network. After a game, they showed her his helmet, and she made a face at how smelly it was. Then they went out for sushi. He was a gentleman, kind, and did a great family meet and greet piece. And after yesterday, it's really hard to deny that this guy is great for hockey and a great human being.

Make fun all you want that his defense sucks, I'm on team Ovi.

Oh, I forgot your question. I think that the Bruins still need a stud defensemen even with Jumbo Joe. It may or may not have been Chara in an alternate timeline.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I like this:

. Alex Ovechkin spent most of Friday night’s fantasy draft lobbying to be picked last so that he would get the Honda awarded to the last pick. He ended up going third to last with the final two players both getting cars. As it turned out, Ovechkin wanted the car because he wanted to donate it to the NoVa Cool Cats, a local hockey club for kids with special needs, as he told reporters after Sunday’s game. When Honda found out his plan, after the draft, the company gave him a Honda Accord, which will go to the Cool Cats.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-salary-cap/my5uRYSIWvkSyAArB575eL/story.html

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Always liked AO more than Crying Crosby. He plays tough, physical, and that shot. He may not care much about defense, and why should he? Not every star needs to be a two way player, unless you play for the Bruins.

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
I like this:

. Alex Ovechkin spent most of Friday night’s fantasy draft lobbying to be picked last so that he would get the Honda awarded to the last pick. He ended up going third to last with the final two players both getting cars. As it turned out, Ovechkin wanted the car because he wanted to donate it to the NoVa Cool Cats, a local hockey club for kids with special needs, as he told reporters after Sunday’s game. When Honda found out his plan, after the draft, the company gave him a Honda Accord, which will go to the Cool Cats.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-salary-cap/my5uRYSIWvkSyAArB575eL/story.html

Don't you just love hockey players?

A different breed than the typical professional mercenary athlete.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I like the skills competition.

The game not so much but then that game isn't real hockey. I get why they have it but would almost rather see the. Revamp the skills competition across two days and nix the game even if they won't.

The all star game in the end is more about being a fan appreciation weekend than a recognition of all star players.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
instead of playing the all-star game, players are blindfolded and told to design all-star uniforms that don't look as though there's been an accident at the highlighter factory.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
fixing the all-star game:

OydpYma.jpg

this style of tournament with blades of steel.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
players play in d2 style tournament but are kept to the film's strict 13 player roster and have to handicap certain players. for example, seguin is fast but isn't allowed to stop, kessel can only shoot knucklepuck, all canadian players try to cut in line to give up their jersey to a less talented teammate that was just found on the street.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad