GDT: All Star Weekend- Team Toews vs. Team Foligno

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
This league needs more unique personality guys like Ovi. I see a guy like Toews in interviews and he just bores the absolute hell out of me.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
This league needs more unique personality guys like Ovi. I see a guy like Toews in interviews and he just bores the absolute hell out of me.

That's just who he is, though. You can't fault a guy for that. I don't want Toews to start acting a part; he should just be himself.

It's sad that fans and media so often give a pro athlete crap for being himself, because that's what leads them to hide behind cliches. One of the best at it was Marc Savard, God love him. From all reports he was an irrepressible, cheeky chatterer, but you'd hear him in interviews trotting out the Bull Durham cliche handbook, and I don't blame him at all.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
That's just who he is, though. You can't fault a guy for that. I don't want Toews to start acting a part; he should just be himself.

It's sad that fans and media so often give a pro athlete crap for being himself, because that's what leads them to hide behind cliches. One of the best at it was Marc Savard, God love him. From all reports he was an irrepressible, cheeky chatterer, but you'd hear him in interviews trotting out the Bull Durham cliche handbook, and I don't blame him at all.

That's true about Toews Artemis, but I just think it would be a shame for some guys to hold back on being who they genuinely are for the sake of the media.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That's true about Toews Artemis, but I just think it would be a shame for some guys to hold back on being who they genuinely are for the sake of the media.

Many already do, and yes, darn right it's a shame.

It's not horrible in Boston, but look at Torey Krug as an example. The guy is very measured and careful when he talks to the media. You might think Brad Marchand is an exception, but even he says little of substance. When he appears to be speaking his mind, the vast majority of the time he's actually talking trivia. He uses cliche-speak with the best of them.

One of the few who doesn't give a **** is Tuukka, and on this very board he's routinely accused of calling out his teammates - and dividing the locker room, for heaven's sake (you don't think they sound off when the media aren't around?)- when he's being blunt and honest.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

Toews takes care of his appearance, and English is his first language.
His personality did come across during the draft.

Nick Foligno was quite impressive as the "host" though.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Some of the older or more traditional folk may not agree, but I'd welcome more NHLers with a Sean Avery-esque attitude vs. cookie cutter agent-prepped BS they've been trained to act like since they've been in juniors.

Actually in general, interview more goalies. A lot of those guys seem to be characters (Luongo, Bryz, Thomas).

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
5 points for Bergeron. He was a Beast! 1 goal, 4 assists.

In other news -- do they even play defense at the all-star games? Apparently not! That's not hockey, that's a scoring exhibition! LOL, but the fans had fun, so I guess that's ok. Must suck to be a goalie in one of those games though!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
5 points for Bergeron. He was a Beast! 1 goal, 4 assists.

In other news -- do they even play defense at the all-star games? Apparently not! That's not hockey, that's a scoring exhibition! LOL, but the fans had fun, so I guess that's ok. Must suck to be a goalie in one of those games though!

No, they don't - it's a very different game. Much slower, much more space between players. There's no checking, no hits, no blocking...just no defense, and that's fine. Remember what happened in 2013 when Campbell blocked a shot? If something like that happened to Toews, then Chicago would burn faster than you could say, "Mrs. O'Leary, keep that lantern away from the cow."

I'm all for the players playing it cool and slow in this game. It's a game during their vacation week, and they're doing it as a service to the fans (and, more pointedly, for the kids). It's not hockey, but it's definitely part of the spirit of the game. And, let's face it - while I find defensive structure and great saves the coolest part of the game (call me Clode Clone), it's more subtle than simply watching zingers go in the net.

I did get a kick out of Patrice saying he wished there was a backchecking contest in the skills competition.....

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The "game" itself is a complete joke and a waste of time. The skills competition has potential but it needs a complete overhaul.

Garywdyls

Apr 11, 2013
No, they don't - it's a very different game. Much slower, much more space between players. There's no checking, no hits, no blocking...just no defense, and that's fine. Remember what happened in 2013 when Campbell blocked a shot? If something like that happened to Toews, then Chicago would burn faster than you could say, "Mrs. O'Leary, keep that lantern away from the cow."

I'm all for the players playing it cool and slow in this game. It's a game during their vacation week, and they're doing it as a service to the fans (and, more pointedly, for the kids). It's not hockey, but it's definitely part of the spirit of the game. And, let's face it - while I find defensive structure and great saves the coolest part of the game (call me Clode Clone), it's more subtle than simply watching zingers go in the net.

I did get a kick out of Patrice saying he wished there was a backchecking contest in the skills competition.....

I thought it was just an embarrassing example of a game that should be
Eliminated from the schedule. No checking, no blocking, no defense....not Hockey.
If the NHL needs this stuff for PR, then get rid of the goalies, call it
The all star shoot out and be done with it. It's just as bad as the shootout.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
people who argue about a team's third line are not the ideal audience for the all-star game. would have thought people here would have figured that out by now. we're not the target audience. the target audience are the people who watch a hockey game every once in a while or when they get tickets for work. it's for the casual fan. it's not a real game, it doesn't count and it's not anything worthwhile for me. it's great for the league though. just ignore it and move on.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Don't put much stock in these games, but Tavares and Bergy looked great together.

Great that the NHL was so objective about the MVP. Johansen? :laugh:

How can you not give it to Tavares or JV? Bergeron, Toews, even Crawford would have been better MVP choices. Joke ending to a joke game...fitting.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Don't put much stock in these games, but Tavares and Bergy looked great together.

Great that the NHL was so objective about the MVP. Johansen? :laugh:

How can you not give it to Tavares or JV? Bergeron, Toews, even Crawford would have been better MVP choices. Joke ending to a joke game...fitting.

MVP is a fan vote. #votingislame #imnotafifteenyearoldgirl #iknowimnotyourtargetaudiencebut

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009

Could definitely use more Ovi personalities, but I would hate to see the NHL to run rampant with idiots like the NFL has or another Avery..

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Pretty sure Bergeron had more points than name mentions by the commentators.

people who argue about a team's third line are not the ideal audience for the all-star game. would have thought people here would have figured that out by now. we're not the target audience. the target audience are the people who watch a hockey game every once in a while or when they get tickets for work. it's for the casual fan. it's not a real game, it doesn't count and it's not anything worthwhile for me. it's great for the league though. just ignore it and move on.

and sponsors. Honda had a great weekend.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Seemed like Milbury was the only guy to mention him. I'm pretty happy, I thought he was going to look completely out of place.

He did well in the Olympics too and eventually moved up to the first line with Crosby...I think we are so used to him being a phenomenal 2 way player, but he also has very good offensive skills...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad