All Scandinavian Team

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
That is one FAST 1st line :handclap:

Yeah, that first line is really an interesting one. A good mix of creativity, work-rate and goal-scoringon on that line. Would really like to see that line in real life. Maybe those three forwards would end up in the same NHL club one day? Sadly, I don’t think will ever see that happening.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Thanks for the history lesson guys, it was interesting. Can't say that I knew any of that, so I'm a bit wiser now. :D

So the only option is to actually re-merge as/to the former Kingdom back about 200 years ago. Is it likely to happen? I mean, would people want this in general or has your countries pushed apart more and more over time.

When I look at Norway and Denmark both countries are basically bordering countries, not far from at least. Both has very small population, and would have about the same population as Sweden has if you re-emerge. You have indeed a long history together and when I look at Norwegian and Danish the languages looks almost identical. Is this only written? Because spoken a language can be more different even if words are spelled almost the same, and can have different meanings.

But I think, or guess, that "it would be more fun to keep your brother than to marry your sister." So to say, stay apart rather than re-emerge.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Thanks guys! I think most of us agree on the core parts of the roster. I guess there are some minor twitches when it comes to the 4th line or extra forwards and bottom d-men and extra d-man.

Wasn't exactly sure about all of the danish d-men, I know least about them.

And both nations got some forwards who currently were left out, that could have slotted in on the team in specific roles. For example Christensen, Green, Madsen from Denmark and Hansen, Røymark and Rosseli Olsen from Norway.

If anybody had that detail kind of knowledge on both Norwegian and Danish depth players it'd be creepy :laugh:

As a comprimise candidate you could get the job as coach ;)

Danish is often the most difficult language to understand in Scandinavia for Norwegians(and everyone else) in the beginning, because of the pronunciation. But after a short time, it isn't the hardest thing to do. After all, it is as we say here in Norway: "Norwegian with a potato in their throat". Sorry Denmark;) You swallow words :)

Are there really dialects in Denmark? Can't hear the difference :laugh:

Though, there are many dialects here, so I clearly could understand if danish people have serious trouble understanding some of them.

I've had lessons in different kinds of Danish in 2 years now. It's insane how we're able to butcher our own language and make up weird rules grammer wise.

@Bagge> Well then we're somewhat on the same page, but a bad NHL'er is still at least a tier above an average DEL player. Regin suits a 4th line BP-role bettes than most Danes IMO. Both because he's proven himself at NT level and because of his hockey smarts. Lets not kid ourself. Peter Regin is still a hockey player with a more proven track record and more talent than most alternatives. Bjorkstrand I could see the case for if he continues his progression, but the rest... Arh :)

I'm just gonna say it... Norway: You're officially welcome back in the kingdom. Don't forget to bring the oil and Tone Damli Aaberge ;) :D

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I'm just gonna say it... Norway: You're officially welcome back in the kingdom. Don't forget to bring the oil and Tone Damli Aaberge ;) :D

I'd say, bring all the girls and forget about the oil. Danish girls are beautiful, but nothing beats the norwegians...omg...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I've had lessons in different kinds of Danish in 2 years now. It's insane how we're able to butcher our own language and make up weird rules grammer wise.

Norway have two languages Nynorsk and Bokmål (a west-nordic and a east-nordic Danish spoken with a Norwegian dialect), but what on earth is the two kinds of Danish you have run into???? Sønderjysk by any chance?

For those unfamiliar with Danish:
Danish a very pressured language (use of glottal stop or stød, except in the southern part of the country) and emphasize on the first syllable which means that later syllable tend to become "eaten" (hence all the potato-jokes) and ends op being kind of "grunts" called in linguistics "secondary schwa" vowels.
Secondary schwa are originally short vowels, that becomes reduced and often eventually deleted - like english chocolate, where you really say choclate.
Danish example is Vangede, where after Vang (with an slightly nasal -ng sound in the end), its sounds like -ödö. In phonetics you use this symbol the schwa "ə". So Vangede is really pronounced Vangədə and not what I heard from an American tourist Van-gee-dee :laugh:

In 1186 we had Niartherum (Niarthar is genetive form of Njord, the nordic god who is father of Frey and Freya and already then -um is probably a shortened from of -heim OR of -rum meaning "open space after being cleared"). Today it is Næ-rum -> all the rest have been eaten by Danes through time.
So Niarthar-heim or Niarthar-rum (Iron Age/Viking-age) -> Niartherum (Middle Age) -> Nærum (modern time).

Despite all these language problem Norway is always welcome back :D
They might help us avoid being a language is incoherent grunts :laugh:

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Norway have two languages Nynorsk and Bokmål (a west-nordic and a east-nordic Danish spoken with a Norwegian dialect)

Well. Bokmål(well plainly translated "oral form of the written language") are basically a modern version of the old danish language. For people who don't know, it's the most used National language. Most often in the Eastern side of Norway, in the Oslo-area and around, but also on all National paperworks and application forms. The longer you get away from the Eastern-area the more dialect you get. The different types depends if you go North or South. You can travel and hour and hear words and expressions you have never heard where you live.

Nynorsk ("new-norwegian") was a completely new language at the time, though many words and stuff got taken from the old danish language. Mostly used in Northern Norway and on the west-side of Norway. A long the coast.

But, with those two languages, there are a lot of dialects!

For Danish-people: The journalist speaks Bokmål, the old guy speaks a dialect from Finnskogen(Around three hours north-east of Oslo)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well. Bokmål(well plainly translated "oral form of the written language") are basically a modern version of the old danish language. For people who don't know, it's the most used National language. Most often in the Eastern side of Norway, in the Oslo-area and around, but also on all National paperworks and application forms. The longer you get away from the Eastern-area the more dialect you get. The different types depends if you go North or South. You can travel and hour and hear words and expressions you have never heard where you live.

Nynorsk ("new-norwegian") was a completely new language at the time, though many words and stuff got taken from the old danish language. Mostly used in Northern Norway and on the west-side of Norway. A long the coast.

But, with those two languages, there are a lot of dialects!

For Danish-people: The journalist speaks Bokmål, the old guy speaks a dialect from Finnskogen(Around three hours north-east of Oslo)

To clarify North-germanic languages are comprised of two subgroups:

1) West-Nordic: Icelandic, Faroese, Nynorsk (artificially reconstructed based in many Norwegian dialects from West and North Norway).
2) East Nordic: Danish, Swedish, Bokmål

I once was in a small secluded village out to the coast near Trondheim, where it appeared only the Milk-truck drove back and forth. These guys were incomprehensible to me, but so were old fishermen from Thy in North Jutland.
But thanks for this lovely dialect of an old guy being lost apparently going round in rings with his snus-box as essential companion?
For those wanting to hear Danish dialects here are some sound samples:
http://dialekt.ku.dk/dialekter/lyt_til_dialekt/

If going by most extreme areas take Sønderjysk (west), Thy, Lolland, Bornholm, Nordsjælland to hear the differences.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Seriously guys, we could be talking about norwegain girls, but you are talking about dialects instead....

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Seriously guys, we could be talking about norwegain girls, but you are talking about dialects instead....

:laugh::handclap::laugh::handclap::laugh:

We seriously need someone to pick up when the conversation is going down the wrong sidetrack! :D

Norway have two languages Nynorsk and Bokmål (a west-nordic and a east-nordic Danish spoken with a Norwegian dialect), but what on earth is the two kinds of Danish you have run into???? Sønderjysk by any chance?

Not just two. That was the amount of years :laugh: There's a lot of the dialects I've had the joy of encountering. Each has it's own charm, each has it's own letter-slaughtering ;) We're not very kind to our own language.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I'm terrible sorry to sidetreck you once again but I found this newspaper article about the Danish-Norwegian name-calling and language war.
It's called "Fjeldaber and bøssenosser i indædt sprogkrig". English: Mountain-apes (Norwegians) and Gay-balls (Danes) in fierce linguistic war.

We learn that a Norwegian Children's Theater is called "Slaskefjamsen" and have a Peugeot trader called Slatlem & Co and they have people called these surnames Svedman, Brækhus, Stålem, Sylten, Numsebakken and english speakers would have fun with this one - the siblings Odd & Even Stranger (yeah how strange is that).

We in Denmark have place names like Sædballe, Tarm, Lem and also Bøgballe Kloakservice og Klittens VVS, which makes the Norwegians roll in laughter over us.
Balle is Norwegian for Danish nosser which makes Sædballe and Bøgballe particularly funny.

So have fun with the article:
http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE368774/fjeldaber-og-boessenosser-i-indaedt-sprogkrig/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad