Rumor: All rumors from November 8 involving Edmonton

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It could be but what if G continues this way for the rest of his career. Would you be happy paying him over 8 mill a year? I'm not saying to def trade him but if the return is good then you at least have to look at it. I think at this point it's obvious G is not the player he seemed to be scoring 90+ pts.

Really I'm just worried about having so much money on one guy that is underachieving both on offense and defense before that contract even kicks in. I really like G and want him to be dominant again but haven't seen that for a few years.

Really? That's obvious to you? Based on 20-ish games while playing on a line with two players who are playing like absolute garbage? The same 20-ish games where nobody except Mason was doing anything? Last season he might have hit 90 points in a full season. He started off really slow and then in the last 20-30 games he was over a ppg and didn't look like he was slowing down.

I'd bet anything if Giroux had a couple decent linemates who could actually shoot he'd easily be over a ppg player again.

But no, lets get rid of him after a slow stretch, that sounds smart.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Really? That's obvious to you? Based on 20-ish games while playing on a line with two players who are playing like absolute garbage? The same 20-ish games where nobody except Mason was doing anything? Last season he might have hit 90 points in a full season. He started off really slow and then in the last 20-30 games he was over a ppg and didn't look like he was slowing down.

I'd bet anything if Giroux had a couple decent linemates who could actually shoot he'd easily be over a ppg player again.

But no, lets get rid of him after a slow stretch, that sounds smart.

Thanks for highlighting that sentence. Note that I said player he seemed to be. I could care less if he scored 90 pts. It's the presence that I want. That hasn't been seen for two years but he will be paid like it has. And I know this is stupid to even pose again on here but I never said we should trade him or call him a bum etc, just that we should be considering it. I could care less who he is playing with. Great players make others around them better. G did do that a few seasons ago.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for highlighting that sentence. Note that I said player he seemed to be. I could care less if he scored 90 pts. It's the presence that I want. That hasn't been seen for two years but he will be paid like it has. And I know this is stupid to even pose again on here but I never said we should trade him or call him a bum etc, just that we should be considering it. I could care less who he is playing with. Great players make others around them better. G did do that a few seasons ago.

That's the player he seemed to be and the player he still is, my point is that having linemates that are dragging him down makes it harder to see it. I don't know what you mean about not being seen for two years when two years ago he had 90 points and last year he certainly could have had 90 in a full season. And yes, great players make others around them better, that's why we were fooled into thinking Hartnell could possibly work on the first line, but Giroux can only do so much.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
It could be but what if G continues this way for the rest of his career. Would you be happy paying him over 8 mill a year? I'm not saying to def trade him but if the return is good then you at least have to look at it. I think at this point it's obvious G is not the player he seemed to be scoring 90+ pts.

Really I'm just worried about having so much money on one guy that is underachieving both on offense and defense before that contract even kicks in. I really like G and want him to be dominant again but haven't seen that for a few years.

He's played around 70 games since 2011-2012 when he scored 93 points and put up 14
Points in 6 games vs. Pittsburgh. That doesn't qualify as a few years. I understand he needs to produce no matter what the circumstances are but you don't trade a player like Giroux at 25 years old.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's played around 70 games since 2011-2012 when he scored 93 points and put up 14
Points in 6 games vs. Pittsburgh. That doesn't qualify as a few years. I understand he needs to produce no matter what the circumstances are but you don't trade a player like Giroux at 25 years old.

65 points in 72 games (better than any other flyer by 7 points, and = 74 point pace over an 82 game schedule)... while shooting at 7.9%... when his average before was 12.5% and he had never been below 11% in 4 years.

His shot % is sure to revert to the mean... heck, if it was 12.5% over the last 72 games he would have 25 goals instead of 16 in that span... and therefore have 74 points in 72.

He most likely aint finishing this year with a sub 8% shot tbh. (he is at sub 5% at the moment.)

Only 19 forwards in the last 15 seasons have got 60 points while shooting sub 8%... two sub 6% and 8 sub 7%. (G is on pace for ~60 now even with his sub 5% shot.)

Half of that figure is pretty much Zetterberg and Gomez... 8 times between the two sub 8%, Gomez the only guy sub 6%, and 5 of the 8 sub 7%.

Zetterberg has not shot above 10% in 5 years and Gomez has been above 10% once in 13 years... and shoots 7% for his career. Not exactly in the same kind of shot% range as G has been for 4 years.

That is supposing that his wrists were not permanently damaged by Crosby in the playoffs... but tbh when you see him shooting he still has just as hard a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad