Rugby: All rugby discussion

member 305909

Ireland-Nz is the dream final but I think it won't happen. One of them will make it to the final but not both of them.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
i could watch rugby nonstop for years and still not understand what is a penalty and what isnt.

Been watching most of my life, over 20 years, and still don't understand the scrum laws.

As former England player Austin Healey once put it during commentary "Oh who cares? Scrummaging: fat people pushing, and falling over. I want to see the ball in Christian Wade's hands"

At least they finally got one right with the red card for that USA player.

Reactions: ecemleafs

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Ireland-Nz is the dream final but I think it won't happen. One of them will make it to the final but not both of them.

My dream is for New Zealand not to be in the final. Hell, I would prefer France, Australia, Ireland, Wales, or Scotland. And this is coming from an Englishman. Seriously, anybody but the All Blacks! Let's mix it up a bit and make it more interesting!

Reactions: flyingkiwi

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Tough loss for Canada today, doesn't get easier as they play New Zealand next on Wednesday.

Could be a cricket score. :(

Canadian rugby in a sad state. Don't think it will be improving anytime soon. Saw them play Japan a couple of years ago. Was a fun game, and Canada pushed them close.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
i could watch rugby nonstop for years and still not understand what is a penalty and what isnt.

Been following Rugby since the 91 world cup.

Played it at high school as well. Different positions (full back, winger, and flanker), and there are still times when I'm wondering why something is a penalty, and why it isn't!

Reactions: ecemleafs

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You can't even get consistency in decisions between referees, especially across hemispheres, so the regular fan has no chance. One ref will interpret something one way, next week another sees it differently.

There's so much that goes on in the front row of a scrum, and in rucks, the ref will never be on top of all of it.

Reactions: I am not exposed

member 305909

It would be good for the sport of Ireland and/or Wales made it to the final as neither of them has ever been there but both have realistic chances of making it there.

The five other big teams have been there all of at least twice.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It would be good for the sport of Ireland and/or Wales made it to the final as neither of them has ever been there but both have realistic chances of making it there.

The five other big teams have been there all of at least twice.

It's crazy that Ireland have never got past the quarter finals. And it is looking very likely that they will play South Africa this world cup. So that run could continue!

Can't believe I am going to say this, but feel bad for France. They have been to 3 finals and lost all 3. Can't see them getting anywhere close this time round.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You can't even get consistency in decisions between referees, especially across hemispheres, so the regular fan has no chance. One ref will interpret something one way, next week another sees it differently.

There's so much that goes on in the front row of a scrum, and in rucks, the ref will never be on top of all of it.

How the rule book is written is the problem

If you referee to the letter of the laws you would be blowing the whistle every single breakdown, nobody wants that and referees start making subjective decisions on what there willing to accept

You need to know your referee

Speaking as a tight head-prop that played professionally for 15 years I can state with some certainty nobody knows what's happening in the front row of scrums, only the front rowers involved in them have any idea of whats happening and rucks are the wild west so unless something egregious happens let it go

Reactions: Morozov

member 305909

Japan beats Ireland! This reshuffles the tournament. Are we witnessing the emergence of a new rugby-power?

This result will most likely mean a NZ-Iteland quarter-final.

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Incredible stuff! Just what this World Cup needed. Uruguay beating Fiji was great, but the host nation beating one of top ranked sides in the world. Hell yeah! First time they have beaten Ireland as well. What a time to do it.

Really put the cat among the pigeons in pool A. Really hope Japan make the quarter finals now. Although watch them win 3 games again, and still not make it!

member 305909

Is Namibia the worst team of the tournament? Today they were blown away by South-Africa.

Tomorrow there is a delicious match Australia-Wales. That'll most likely determine the winner of the pool.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Looks like a New Zealand Ireland quarter final

Speaking as a New Zealander this game worries me greatly, Ireland are playing like crap but they have done well against us over the last few years and we won't have played a tough pool game for weeks at that point

If we play to our potential we win, but there is a degree of risk with Ireland that I'm uncomfortable with, if they get a lead early bad things could happen

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Is Namibia the worst team of the tournament? Today they were blown away by South-Africa.

Tomorrow there is a delicious match Australia-Wales. That'll most likely determine the winner of the pool.

Yes, they're really only ever in it because there's a spot for an African team other than South Africa. They're worse than a few of the European non-qualifiers, look at how Russia have performed considering they only qualified ahead of 3 other teams because of a technicality.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Probably Russia.

Then them or Canada. And they play each other. Actually could be an interesting game! Unlike the other games these teams play.

That performance against South Africa was also an improvement!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Good ol Roman trying to keep the Aussies in the game.

On another note, the guy doing commentary for the Croatian sport's chanell is such an ignoramus it boggles the mind. Constantly mispronouncing names, using wrong terminology, completely lost as far as the rules of the game go, but the most moronic take was when he said Will Genia had a great game as he was coming off. Yes, the guy who threw three passes in Davies' hands and basically lost them the game, had a great game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad