Rugby: All rugby discussion

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No Jonathan Davies! Is he injured?

Great to see Sam Simmonds get recognition and be chose ahead of Vunipola who hasn't been good for England for a while now.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
James Ryan is the most notable admission imo.

Apparently Gatland doesn’t think Ryan is Physical enough (which explains the inclusion of Lawes I guess). Specifically singled out his performances against Saracens and La Rochelle to support his argument.
Another massive surprise for me was that Fagerson snuck in ahead of Sinckler and Francis. I was expecting at least one of them to be included.

The worst pick by far though is Elliot Daly. I don’t get that pick from start to finish. He’s been terrible as of late and on form he shouldn’t get in a center or the back line...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm reasonably pleased with the squad and glad that none of the gimmick suggestion picks like Danny Care and Marcus Smith were picked.

The only head scratchers for me are Daly and Aki in the backs. I'm not sure if Jonathan Davies is injured, he might be, Tuilagi isn't fit yet either so they're looking quite light in the centres.

In the forwards I thought Navidi should have been included, and Sinckler is another surprise omission.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
To me Care and Smith sounded more like media gifts, to keep the conversation about selection going as much as possible... if anything Cooney should have been the more likely option than Care (and personally, I’d have picked him over Murray and/or Price)...

I think Aki‘s selection is down to Tuilagi being injured. He’s a big unit and might certainly matchup well against the Boks. It feels like they were looking to take one big center at least, and he kind of fits the path that Gatland has used for the last Lions Tour when he selected Te‘o. Having said that, if Manu were fit, Aki wouldn’t have been in the conversation. I’d say it’s similar to the inclusion of Lawes.

Navidi I agree is a surprise. I would have had him nailed on as the bench cover for backrow goven his versatility

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Apparently Gatland doesn’t think Ryan is Physical enough (which explains the inclusion of Lawes I guess). Specifically singled out his performances against Saracens and La Rochelle to support his argument.
Another massive surprise for me was that Fagerson snuck in ahead of Sinckler and Francis. I was expecting at least one of them to be included.

The worst pick by far though is Elliot Daly. I don’t get that pick from start to finish. He’s been terrible as of late and on form he shouldn’t get in a center or the back line...

Yeah his form has been bad. His big left boot is probably what got him in. And his versatility.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm reasonably pleased with the squad and glad that none of the gimmick suggestion picks like Danny Care and Marcus Smith were picked.

The only head scratchers for me are Daly and Aki in the backs. I'm not sure if Jonathan Davies is injured, he might be, Tuilagi isn't fit yet either so they're looking quite light in the centres.

In the forwards I thought Navidi should have been included, and Sinckler is another surprise omission.

Davies not injured apparently. Just based on form.

I'm sure there will be some injuries, so wouldn't be shocking that some of the more surprising emissions actually end up going.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Davies not injured apparently. Just based on form.

I'm sure there will be some injuries, so wouldn't be shocking that some of the more surprising emissions actually end up going.

AWJ suffered a dislocated shoulder in the first warmup match against Japan and ruled out of the tour. Justin Tipuric also hurt but not clear how seriously.

Adam Beard and Josh Navidi called up.

Connor Murray named new tour captain :huh:

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Yeah, I dont get the Conor Murray call either. In my book he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, but it seems Davies will sit on the bench at best...

I would have thought someone like Owens would get the tour captaincy (unless George is internally predicted to be the test starter, which would be the wrong choice in my opinion).

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Any reason this thread was unpinned? I appreciate we have been inactive for a while. It seems like the MLR is gaining some traction in North America.

We are in the middle of the 6 Nations and the big rumour doing the rounds is that South Africa is going to join and replace Italy as soon as 2025

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Any reason this thread was unpinned? I appreciate we have been inactive for a while. It seems like the MLR is gaining some traction in North America.

We are in the middle of the 6 Nations and the big rumour doing the rounds is that South Africa is going to join and replace Italy as soon as 2025
Lack of activity. Seven months in between posts.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't think I've seen the Springboks playing this well since the RWC final, dominating win over England. Eddie Jones might get fired after this series of losses.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I don't think I've seen the Springboks playing this well since the RWC final, dominating win over England. Eddie Jones might get fired after this series of losses.

Not a chance, the guy seems to have the safest job in sports for some reason. All of the Unions are obsessed with the world cup and "continuity" for the 4 year cycle so they'll never sack him this soon before the World Cup. He's gone afterwards anyway so they might as well keep drinking the cool-aid for now.

Only coach who might actually be in danger is Pivac for Wales.

Reactions: Fighter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad