All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIV: Okay, but now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Not enough people are saying this, but I also think that it's possible that Grier knew that Meier really wanted to play for New Jersey, and in some ways had to be truly blown away by the Canes to not trade him to the Devils. Again, with all of those Swiss nationals (Hischier, Siegenthaler, and Schmid), I wouldn't blame Meier for wanting to be there.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Some random ass rambling thoughts.

I’d like to see Staal take a little bit of a sweetheart deal, he’s been overpaid by at least $1M for the entirety of his current contract imo. $3.5-4M x 2-3 max.

It sounds like they’ve basically committed themselves to bringing Patches back next season and that the interest is mutual. Do they make a move to create a spot for him? Basically do they try and move TT this off-season? 3rd line Patches or TT, kind of hard to imagine. Especially Patches, paying for a goal scorer only to stick him beside Staal seems kind of like a waste. I hope that’s a show me, bonus heavy contract type situation if it happens. Sure he seems like a great guy but I’m just not sold on dude’s health, there’s a reason LV gave him away.

I think a Pool Party, Stastny, Noesen 4th line has the potential to wreak havoc, could be a match up nightmare for other teams. If that line can find a little offensive chemistry it has the potential to be the type of 4th line that can be a difference maker in the playoffs. Love Stepan but Jesse is an immediate upgrade in that spot. And Stastny is only one season removed from 21G 45PT center.

After missing out on Meier I’m really glad the FO didn’t get stupid. He really was the only player that I thought was worth making a huge push for. Tripp and a few other reports make it sound like SJ wanted Jarvis and that was a no go from the FO. Without an extension I totally agree with not moving Jarvis. I hope he continues to develop and proves my personal assessment of him wrong. I think it’s pretty hilarious that Tripp was talking about Jarvis “busting through the Sophomore slump wall” when he’s still playing at a lower PPG pace than last season.

Do we see any youngsters make the jump next season? Something has to happen at some point right? Either some trades or bring ‘em up. Drury and a few others have surely hit their ceiling in the AHL isn’t it time to see what a few of these guys have got in the big leagues?
Patches is going to be out, surgery & rehabbing, for what, about a year this time? I don't think you "leave a spot" open for him because he won't be there to start the season and may end up not being ready at all. I think instead you JWilly him...fill out the roster, leave cap space for him, and then sign him as a "rental" ahead of TDL

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not enough people are saying this, but I also think that it's possible that Grier knew that Meier really wanted to play for New Jersey, and in some ways had to be truly blown away by the Canes to not trade him to the Devils. Again, with all of those Swiss nationals (Hischier, Siegenthaler, and Schmid), I wouldn't blame Meier for wanting to be there.
If that is the case, it's hard to much complain about Grier wanting to accommodate his player's wishes. The team maybe gains in goodwill more than it loses by taking a little bit poorer trade.

Reactions: geehaad and ndp

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Anaheim game.

For reference, here's the last 10 games:

Rangers: KK Line - 2GA, Aho line - 2GA
Caps: KK line - 1GA, Aho line - 1GA
MTL: Stepan line - 1GA
Caps: Staal line - 1 GA
Blues: Staal line - 1 GA
Sens: No lines had a GA
Anaheim: Staal line - 1 GA, Aho line - 1 GA
Vegas: Stepan line - 1 GA, Aho line - 1 GA
AZ: No lines had a GA, Loan goal was essentially just as a PP expired.
TBL: No lines had a GA

Full season: Staal,Martinook, Fast: 19 5v5 GA out of 95 5v5 GA for the team. Note that the Staal, Martinook, Fast line take on the toughest competition so they are doing a very good job at preventing scoring given the competition they face.
Hopefully they can keep the power play rolling right on into the playoffs.

One of my favorite things about the Staal line is with none of them being on the power play, when the Hurricanes score a power play goal and Rod comes right out with that line and they pin the other team in the ozone for a whole shift. It’s got to be demoralizing and frustrating, look at how it got under TB’s skin yesterday.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Patches is going to be out, surgery & rehabbing, for what, about a year this time? I don't think you "leave a spot" open for him because he won't be there to start the season and may end up not being ready at all. I think instead you JWilly him...fill out the roster, leave cap space for him, and then sign him as a "rental" ahead of TDL
You leave room for a league minimum deal with fair performance bonuses in case he continue to stay fit to play.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for sharing the Servalli piece. For those that don't want to listen.

- Says Canes have the best record in the NHL since Jan 11
- Says they identified 1 player that was a true difference maker, Meier and made a massive offer that he feels was better than what SJ accepted from NJ.
- Once that player was off the board, the Canes didn't see anyone else left on the board that was worth giving up future assets for.
- He loves that the Canes drew a line in the sand and instead of chasing their tails around, like every other team in the NHL seems to do. (Gives the example of Toronto missing out out on some guys a couple years ago and pivoting to Foligno simple to "add"). Said "you get in trouble every time when you do that"
- Says you have to set a plan, with processes and stick to it.
- Once Timo Meier was out, they had $10M in space, it's a luxury, so let's take a couple of no risk bets.
- So you take the best team in the league the last 2 months and add a 50 point defensemen and a guy with a "free shot" on your 4th line (Puljujarvi).
- He loved that once the difference maker was gone, they weren't going to spin their wheels trying to throw away futures for this.
- Said the Canes think their team is good enough without doing that and he agrees.
- He also said the playoffs are a case where each series is essentially a 7 game coin flip and the "best team" doesn't always win. Said the Canes view is give themselves a chance for 10 years and in one of those years they'll win that coin flip. Used the Caps and STL as examples, but said we won't know for 10 years if they are right or not, but right now he thinks the data supports their argument.
- The other guy thinks they should have gone after someone, so Frank asks "Ok, once Meier was gone, then who?" The guy said "Patrick Kane". Franks says he doesn't think Kane would have gone to Carolina and that the deal with the Ranger's was actually already cooked before the Meier situation was final.
- He was also shocked to hear Grier acknowledge they valued quantity over quality.

EDIT: Says he loves what Boston did at the deadline. Injuries might be some concerns, but likes Orlov, Bertuzzi and Hathaway adds.

Last edited:

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
If this was the case then it does not make sense to prevent Meier from discussing an extension with them. Seems like that would have been beneficial for everybody involved.

I have a theory that Meier actually may have wanted to sign with Carolina. Waddell could have discussed a theoretical 40 goal scorer with his agent and maybe already had an understanding. Waddell offers up what he thinks should easily best any other offer. And then SJ just preferred Mukhamadullin. It would explain why Waddell was angry.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fine. Finland versus Switzerland. Let's get it on.
"Flowers for Team Switzerland." According to a radio show legend, that is how they once put in the books the payment for a hooker requested by an unnamed international sports association bigwig on his visit to Finland. The person in question has reportedly since reinvented himself as a staunch opponent of corruption.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
- The other guy thinks they should have gone after someone, so Frank asks "Ok, once Meier was gone, then who?" The guy said "Patrick Kane". Franks says he doesn't think Kane would have gone to Carolina and that the deal with the Ranger's was actually already cooked before the Meier situation was final.
Isn’t Kane basically a net negative at this point? He’s a name, a shell of his former self, and if he even agreed to come here Rod would likely choke him out before he had the opportunity to try and make a difference.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If this was the case then it does not make sense to prevent Meier from discussing an extension with them. Seems like that would have been beneficial for everybody involved.

I have a theory that Meier actually may have wanted to sign with Carolina. Waddell could have discussed a theoretical 40 goal scorer with his agent and maybe already had an understanding. Waddell offers up what he thinks should easily best any other offer. And then SJ just preferred Mukhamadullin. It would explain why Waddell was angry.

It may still make sense in terms of trade negotiations to not allow extension talks even if Grier knew that Meier's preferred destination was NJ. San Jose might've been afraid that the Devils could've lowered the trade return if they were the only club that could pen one. Instead of being held hostage by the Devils, he instead still got a huge return from them. Maybe not as large as the proposed Carolina package, but still huge.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

- Says Canes have the best record in the NHL since Jan 11
- Says they identified 1 player that was a true difference maker, Meier and made a massive offer that he feels was better than what SJ accepted from NJ.
- Once that player was off the board, the Canes didn't see anyone else left on the board that was worth giving up future assets for.
- He loves that the Canes drew a line in the sand and instead of chasing their tails around, like every other team in the NHL seems to do. (Gives the example of Toronto missing out out on some guys a couple years ago and pivoting to Foligno simple to "add"). Said "you get in trouble every time when you do that"
- Says you have to set a plan, with processes and stick to it.
- Once Timo Meier was out, they had $10M in space, it's a luxury, so let's take a couple of no risk bets.
- So you take the best team in the league the last 2 months and add a 50 point defensemen and a guy with a "free shot" on your 4th line (Puljujarvi).
- He loved that once the difference maker was gone, they weren't going to spin their wheels trying to throw away futures for this.
- Said the Canes think their team is good enough without doing that and he agrees.
- He also said the playoffs are a case where each series is essentially a 7 game coin flip and the "best team" doesn't always win. Said the Canes view is give themselves a chance for 10 years and in one of those years they'll win that coin flip. Used the Caps and STL as examples, but said we won't know for 10 years if they are right or not, but right now he thinks the data supports their argument.
- He was also shocked to hear Grier acknowledge they valued quantity over quality.

EDIT: Says he loves what Boston did at the deadline. Injuries might be some concerns, but likes Orlov, Bertuzzi and Hathaway adds.
I've always said that Seravalli guy was smart and that his bounty of wisdom is closer to his hair color than his birth certificate.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Ok so this basically confirms what I had been passing along was right, we were all in on Meier, we thought we had the best offer out there (and likely did, given Grier's quote) and it explains why Waddell was as pissed off as he was when our offer was rejected. We didn't have a solid backup plan.

Which, on one hand, I get it, but on the other, maybe Dundon should shut the hell up going forward if he doesn't know all the details. Unless his "aggressive" remarks were about the Meier situation and we were prepared to up our offer to whatever was needed, and SJ never gave us that opportunity, which would also explain why Waddell was pissed.

And back to SJ, to hear them acknowledge they valued quantity over quality, and still went with NJ over us....... Yeah, that whole situation reeks of negotiating in bad faith with us to keep us engaged while settling terms with NJ. I wouldn't be surprised if we never deal with Grier again, and wouldn't be shocked if that burns bridges with other GMs as well.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Hopefully they can keep the power play rolling right on into the playoffs.

One of my favorite things about the Staal line is with none of them being on the power play, when the Hurricanes score a power play goal and Rod comes right out with that line and they pin the other team in the ozone for a whole shift. It’s got to be demoralizing and frustrating, look at how it got under TB’s skin yesterday.

Probably got under their skin even more than Teuvo.

Goal #1
teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~2.jpg

Goal #2
teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~4.jpg

Goal #3
teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~5.jpg

Hats on the ice

teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~3.jpg

Attachments

• teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~3.jpg
    teuvo-teravainen-2022-979~3.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There’s a less nefarious potential explanation here: San Jose just didn’t value Morrow (presumably) as a primary piece and no combination of the Canes’ B-assets was going to change the equation for the Sharks.
They may believe that there is a non-zero risk of Morrow not signing a contract with anyone before graduation. Unfortunately for us, we could only offer them Morrow's rights for two years at this point. A signed Morrow may have a completely different value to them.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Which, on one hand, I get it, but on the other, maybe Dundon should shut the hell up going forward if he doesn't know all the details. Unless his "aggressive" remarks were about the Meier situation and we were prepared to up our offer to whatever was needed, and SJ never gave us that opportunity, which would also explain why Waddell was pissed.
I don't think Dundon needs to shut up necessarily but rather chose his words more carefully. They WERE aggressive but when trying to trade for coveted players, you won't always land your guy. He could have said if we don't get our top target, it won't be for a lack of being aggressive. Secondly, it seems they played a zero sum game which is kind of foolhardy but does support why DW was pissed. But he's been around long enough to know better. I think Grier may have felt DW got the better of him in the Burns trade and without getting a guy like Jarvis, he could have been criticized again for getting played.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
There’s a less nefarious potential explanation here: San Jose just didn’t value Morrow (presumably) as a primary piece and no combination of the Canes’ B-assets was going to change the equation for the Sharks.

My explanation is also on the less-nefarious side, as well. Meier very well could've preferred New Jersey due to numerous factors that I mentioned above.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think Dundon needs to shut up necessarily but rather chose his words more carefully. They WERE aggressive but when trying to trade for coveted players, you won't always land your guy. He could have said if we don't get our top target, it won't be for a lack of being aggressive. Secondly, it seems they played a zero sum game which is kind of foolhardy but does support why DW was pissed. But he's been around long enough to know better. I think Grier may have felt DW got the better of him in the Burns trade and without getting a guy like Jarvis, he could have been criticized again for getting played.
It feels a bit silly when people insist on taking the sayings of the team brass at face value at the TDL/Free Agency time. Like, that is exactly the time when GMs should go up to eleven with the subterfuge and play their cards close to chest.

Hell, if you're planning to make serious move, don't tell everyone you're planning to make those serious moves!

Reactions: geehaad and cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad